Author Topic: Senate sends Trump a warning shot on tariffs  (Read 2155 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate sends Trump a warning shot on tariffs
« on: July 11, 2018, 06:53:41 pm »
Senate sends Trump a warning shot on tariffs
by Al Weaver
 | July 11, 2018 01:09 PM

The Senate on Wednesday overwhelmingly passed a nonbinding resolution that warns President Trump against abusing his authority to impose tariffs on imports for national security reasons.

The vast majority of Republicans and every Senate Democrat supported a motion to instruct, which would would direct a House-Senate committee to include language in a spending bill that would give Congress a say in tariffs imposed by the White House for a national security purposes. The motion passed 88-11.

The motion is non-binding, however, and conferees to the committee do not have to follow it. But it reflects a growing worry in Congress that Trump is imposing national security tariffs against U.S. trading partners that is leading to retaliation that could hurt U.S. companies.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/senate-sends-trump-a-warning-shot-on-tariffs
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Senate sends Trump a warning shot on tariffs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 06:56:13 pm »
Time to take that toy away from Trump.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:43 pm »
overwhelmingly passed a nonbinding resolution

:yawn2:

These clowns are only upset because their big business controllers are upset that they can't run the show anymore. If congress is so upset about the cost of shit how about they end subsidies and let the "Free Market" decide the price of stuff here.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:00:29 pm »
Time to take that toy away from Trump.

Yeah and give it to the shitbags that fill multinational corps pockets with taxpayers money in the form of subsidies and tax credits. You can come talk to me about stripping the President of this roll after Tesla runs a surplus on zero tax credits.

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 07:06:32 pm »
Yeah and give it to the shitbags that fill multinational corps pockets with taxpayers money in the form of subsidies and tax credits. You can come talk to me about stripping the President of this roll after Tesla runs a surplus on zero tax credits.

The forum's barking dog is back.

Well I agree about subsidies.  :shrug:

Tax credits I think can do some good in certain situations.

But what do these have to do with tariffs, Frank?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 07:14:40 pm »
But what do these have to do with tariffs, Frank?

Because the shit that tariffs allegedly are doing to harm the "free market" that all these phonies are worried about are happening under different names yet no one cares. As a matter of fact, if Donny came out with a way to unilaterally end subsidies, all of these worthless cowards passing do nothing non binding resolutions would be ready to impeach Donny.

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:17:01 pm »
Because the shit that tariffs allegedly are doing to harm the "free market" that all these phonies are worried about are happening under different names yet no one cares. As a matter of fact, if Donny came out with a way to unilaterally end subsidies, all of these worthless cowards passing do nothing non binding resolutions would be ready to impeach Donny.

Well they are worthless cowards, but only so far as they are not willing to take away the President's power in dealing with tariffs.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 07:35:20 pm »
The truth is that Congress knows that there is a sufficient basis under the law for Trump to invoke those tariffs because we are getting screwed.  But they don't want the law enforced.  It's so typical -- they want to virtue-signal that they're standing up for American workers by passing laws that enable retaliation for unfair trade practices, but they don't really want those powers to be used.

If they are against tariffs period, even in retaliation for us getting screwed, then they should be upfront about it and just repeal the damn law that gives the President that authority in the first place.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 07:40:27 pm »
The truth is that Congress knows that there is a sufficient basis under the law for Trump to invoke those tariffs because we are getting screwed.  But they don't want the law enforced.  It's so typical -- they want to virtue-signal that they're standing up for American workers by passing laws that enable retaliation for unfair trade practices, but they don't really want those powers to be used.

If they are against tariffs period, even in retaliation for us getting screwed, then they should be upfront about it and just repeal the damn law that gives the President that authority in the first place.

Bingo. They like to talk tough and pass meaningless legislation to get reelected but they are all spineless garbage when it comes to actually doing something tangible. The Obamacare Repeal fraud is the most glaring example.

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 07:42:42 pm »
The truth is that Congress knows that there is a sufficient basis under the law for Trump to invoke those tariffs because we are getting screwed. 

How are we getting screwed? We are willingly buying their goods/services.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 07:43:53 pm »
They slap tariffs on our goods while subsidizing their own goods to make them more exportable. 
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Concerned

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 11:15:12 pm »
History tells us that tariffs are unlikely to be successful, and that trade wars are not easy to win (contrary to Trump's claims otherwise).  These tariffs are incredibly stupid economically IMO.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline bilo

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 11:50:28 pm »
History tells us that tariffs are unlikely to be successful, and that trade wars are not easy to win (contrary to Trump's claims otherwise).  These tariffs are incredibly stupid economically IMO.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Trump is responding to all the nations that have been getting benefits at our expense. He is placing tariffs on goods from countries that already charge tariffs against goods we ship to them. Trump is doing the same thing with the freeloaders in NATO. He's getting push back because a lot of people in govt. are dependent on donations from people who run corp.'s that benefit from the existing order.

Trump told the G7 members he would drop all our tariffs if they would drop their tariffs. They didn't want to on their side, but want us to on our side.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 12:27:19 am »

Actually the economic history of the United States...the Stock Market Crash of 1929...the Smoot-Hawley Act and the Hoover Administration (in hindsight) would beg to differ.

Anyone who is pushing for "fair trade" doesn't honestly believe in nor do they really want a free market economy.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:27:51 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Concerned

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 12:35:29 am »

Trump is responding to all the nations that have been getting benefits at our expense. He is placing tariffs on goods from countries that already charge tariffs against goods we ship to them. Trump is doing the same thing with the freeloaders in NATO. He's getting push back because a lot of people in govt. are dependent on donations from people who run corp.'s that benefit from the existing order.

Trump told the G7 members he would drop all our tariffs if they would drop their tariffs. They didn't want to on their side, but want us to on our side.

When in economic history has the establishment of tariffs to establish a trade war yield positive results for the establishing country?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 12:52:40 am »
overwhelmingly passed a nonbinding resolution

:yawn2:

***SHOCK TAKE OF THE WEEK***

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 12:57:49 am »

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/8/17097206/trump-tariffs-congress

The only way Congress could really stop the tariffs is by passing a measure with a veto-proof majority that would either strip Trump’s executive powers over tariffs or undo the ones he has put in place. Needless to say, in a contentious midterm year, both options carry great political risk.

@Maj. Bill Martin Is this correct?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 01:13:51 am »

In 1922 they worked great. That's why nobody ever cites that example.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 01:14:21 am »
https://www.vox.com/2018/3/8/17097206/trump-tariffs-congress

@Maj. Bill Martin Is this correct?

Yes.  Trump's power to put tariffs on goods is based on laws where Congress delegated that power to the President -- it's not on any personal authority inherent in the Presidency.  But to eliminate that, they'd have to repeal the laws that gave him that power -- it's the only way.

I'm personally not a fan of delegation of power -- either Congressional power to the President himself, or to administrative/regulatory agencies.  But me not liking it doesn't change the fact that they did it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:17:31 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 01:22:08 am »
Yes.  Trump's power to put tariffs on goods is based on laws where Congress delegated that power to the President -- it's not on any personal authority inherent in the Presidency.  But to eliminate that, they'd have to repeal the laws that gave him that power -- it's the only way.

I'm personally not a fan of delegation of power -- either Congressional power to the President himself, or to administrative/regulatory agencies.  But me not liking it doesn't change the fact that they did it.

I think it makes sense for an educated President to have those powers, but you maybe correct that giving that authority to one man is a mistake when that man is a destructive force like Trump.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:24:29 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 01:58:54 am »
In 1922 they worked great. That's why nobody ever cites that example.

That actually is a good example except for the fact that it wasn't really a trade war (Europe didn't really retaliate in any real way and put things into a trade war).  I suspect that because of the Fordney–McCumber Tariff of 1922, nations now recognize that the proper response to extreme tariffs by one country is extreme tariffs of your own.  Trump doesn't seem to understand that the inevitable logical response by other nations will be extreme tariffs of their own.  The EU and China seem to clearly understand this with their targeted tariffs.   

Offline bilo

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 02:37:01 pm »
Actually the economic history of the United States...the Stock Market Crash of 1929...the Smoot-Hawley Act and the Hoover Administration (in hindsight) would beg to differ.

Anyone who is pushing for "fair trade" doesn't honestly believe in nor do they really want a free market economy.

What you haven't been taught is we were a bigger exporter of goods rather than importer. The nations that recovered quicker from the recession were bigger importers.

Offline bilo

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 02:38:02 pm »
When in economic history has the establishment of tariffs to establish a trade war yield positive results for the establishing country?

The winner is always the country that has a trade deficit.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 02:54:12 pm »
How are we getting screwed? We are willingly buying their goods/services.

Maybe you are, but I've had it to my eye teeth, sick to my guts for Decades of Not being able to buy Christmas presents for my nephew and niece that weren't made in a Communist, Totalitarian S$$thole because they and their poorly made junk forced American made goods off the shelves.

I do not want to ever, Ever, see Anything in Any store ever again with Made In China on it.

Nothing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:55:59 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 03:09:49 pm »

Maybe you are, but I've had it to my eye teeth, sick to my guts for Decades of Not being able to buy Christmas presents for my nephew and niece that weren't made in a Communist, Totalitarian S$$thole because they and their poorly made junk forced American made goods off the shelves.

I do not want to ever, Ever, see Anything in Any store ever again with Made In China on it.

Nothing.

Wiffle bats and balls have been made in Shelton Connecticut since I've been born and even longer AFAIK.

:shrug:

Most consumers don't care. They want value for price.