Author Topic: College official: Drop algebra requirement because minorities keep failing it  (Read 1794 times)

rangerrebew

College official: Drop algebra requirement because minorities keep failing it
College Fix Staff •July 21, 2017

The chancellor of the California community college system has stated that institutions’ algebra requirements are “the biggest barrier” for “underemployed or unemployed Americans,” and as such is … a civil rights issue.

According to NPR, Chancellor Eloy Ortiz Oakley is “among a growing number of educators who view intermediate algebra as an obstacle to students obtaining their credentials — particularly in fields that require no higher level math skills.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/34755/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:41:35 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Why stop there?  Why not give blacks all As and a degree as long as they can get the government to cover their tuition?  They wouldn't even have to go to class.  That way we can have even dumber people in government, people voting, and in business which will speed up the destruction of America which is the goal of the left, after all.

Offline dfwgator

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:52:34 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline andy58-in-nh

Minorities? Really?

I'll bet it's not a problem for Asians.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
What will be next on the chopping block?

Geometry?

Division and Multiplication?

Any math without the use of a calculator?

Offline jpsb

Geometry?

I'm pretty sure geometry is already gone. FYI, geometry is not trigonometry, close yes, but the
same subject? No.

Offline WingNot

I'm pretty sure geometry is already gone. FYI, geometry is not trigonometry, close yes, but the
same subject? No.

All those metries are the same, Homie.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
same subject? No.

I couldn't remember if Geometry came after Algebra1 in Jr. HS. It probably did. "FYI?" Surely you jest.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 03:16:27 pm by Elderberry »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Algebra is a way of thinking.  People who hold degrees should be able to do it.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
All those metries are the same, Homie.

Metries have changed a whole lot since I was in school

Offline thackney

same subject? No.

Geometry is typically a High School Freshman or Sophomore level course.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Students will rise or fall to the expectations of their teacher/school system.

Our country is bombing in math and other STEM areas now compared to most industrialized nations and attitudes like this will make it worse.

We don't need to make it easier for minorities (talk about an insult). We need to raise the standards and tell them they can achieve more.

When I was in High School, Algebra 1 was a freshman class. I actually had it when I was in Jr. High having gone to a private school. I later transferred to a public school and had to jump into Pre-Cal my sophomore year (usually a Jr or Sr level class).

Now they want to remove even this basic requirement.

Idiocracy is coming to life in more ways than one.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The overall criteria have been diluted, watered down o much that all demographics perform worse than before.

This system of testing incoming freshmen has been in place for over 50 years. Those that fail must take what was once called "bonehead math" and "bonehead English"

Basically it is a chance to show you are able to do college level work.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline WingNot

Pretty soon some progressive will tout the benefit of doing away with the SAT/ACT tests.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Pretty soon some progressive will tout the benefit of doing away with the SAT/ACT tests.

Colleges Should Get Rid of the SAT and ACT and Abolish Preferences

Michele Hernandez is the president of Hernandez College Consulting and Application Boot Camp (TopTierAdmissions.com). She is the author of four books on college admissions based on her experience as an admissions officer at Dartmouth College.

Updated March 31, 2015, 6:46 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/03/31/how-to-improve-the-college-admissions-process/colleges-should-get-rid-of-the-sat-and-act-and-abolish-preferences

Offline WingNot

Colleges Should Get Rid of the SAT and ACT and Abolish Preferences

Michele Hernandez is the president of Hernandez College Consulting and Application Boot Camp (TopTierAdmissions.com). She is the author of four books on college admissions based on her experience as an admissions officer at Dartmouth College.

Updated March 31, 2015, 6:46 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/03/31/how-to-improve-the-college-admissions-process/colleges-should-get-rid-of-the-sat-and-act-and-abolish-preferences

Dayum.  and I was being sarcastic!.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Dayum.  and I was being sarcastic!.

That goes without sayin'.

Offline WingNot

That goes without sayin'.

The jig is up?    :smokin:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Geometry?

I recall a state legislature trying to round pi off to an even three a few years back....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom

Counter point - so is logic .....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I was going to try to replace my copy of my Geology GRE scores (1978) that were lost after the fire, and found out they don't even offer a Geology GRE any more.  :shrug: (Go figure. I got a 720)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Minorities? Really?

I'll bet it's not a problem for Asians.

I'll bet you are right.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

I hated math classes because of the 'way of thinking'. I am very good with numbers, but I have never done it 'their way', and as a result I was penalized unfairly. I got the answers right, I just didn't use their methodology.

I grew to despise math because of it.

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn