Author Topic: College official: Drop algebra requirement because minorities keep failing it  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
IIRC I took algebra in the 8th grade.  Got all the way to first year calculus before I got out of HS..

Dumbing the country down has been going on pretty much continuously since then.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

IIRC I took algebra in the 8th grade.  Got all the way to first year calculus before I got out of HS..

Yep, I was just getting ready to say, might as well end school for them at 6th grade because Algebra used to be first offered in 7th.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

I also took Algebra in 8th grade. But 9th grade had a teacher who could not work the Algebra 2 problems himself. That hurt the lot of us. As there were race riots going on in the school, the teacher was not going to be dismissed, even for gross incompetence.

You really want a challenge, take some of the tests in the back of an early 1900s math book (eighth grade level).
It shows how far we have fallen.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I also took Algebra in 8th grade. But 9th grade had a teacher who could not work the Algebra 2 problems himself. That hurt the lot of us. As there were race riots going on in the school, the teacher was not going to be dismissed, even for gross incompetence.

You really want a challenge, take some of the tests in the back of an early 1900s math book (eighth grade level).
It shows how far we have fallen.

Yeah!  I know.

BTW:  My algebra II teacher, a football coach, was continually running across the hall to have a competent teacher show him how to do the problems in the day's lesson.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

Yeah!  I know.

BTW:  My algebra II teacher, a football coach, was continually running across the hall to have a competent teacher show him how to do the problems in the day's lesson.

Mine was a community college physics "professor" who had notes that he used to write and complete problems on the board.  The notes were so old that he couldn't read them very well anymore so he'd get to a point in the problem and then say "Well, you guys get the idea.  You can finish it yourselves from here."

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Mine was a community college physics "professor" who had notes that he used to write and complete problems on the board.  The notes were so old that he couldn't read them very well anymore so he'd get to a point in the problem and then say "Well, you guys get the idea.  You can finish it yourselves from here."
I always liked the part where he went off into the weeds and then said "...and skipping a few steps (looks at answer key) we get...." and wrote the answer on the board. Problem was, if you picked up from where he left off, you couldn't get there from here.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My Algebra 2 teacher loved math, but didn't care if you learned it from him. He would do equations on the chalk board so dang fast writing with his right hand while he was erasing with his left. Most of the kids in class passed via their homework, which the kid in front of you, or in back, or to your side, would grade and call out how many you missed.