Author Topic: Collins: Won’t Support SCOTUS Pick Hostile To Abortion Rights  (Read 29317 times)

Oceander

Re: Collins: Won’t Support SCOTUS Pick Hostile To Abortion Rights
« Reply #600 on: July 03, 2018, 09:36:04 pm »
It was exceedingly rare and shameful, all the way back to Egypt. Not just a Christian thing, mind you. It is industrialization that made the notion possible that a child was a burden and another mouth to feed.

In normative agrarian and nomadic terms, the child is valuable. Priceless even.

Actually no, it wasn’t.  In fact, the ancients also practiced infanticide. A Roman father had the right to expose a newborn to the elements, invariably killing it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:38:21 pm by Oceander »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #601 on: July 03, 2018, 09:36:30 pm »
:bigsilly:

Thanks for so much virtue-signaling.

I never realized until this moment how narrow minded, self-righteous and ideologically motivated and downright callous you are.

I suppose I should have noticed it before, but I actually thought you could think reasoned thoughts and have adult conversations............. until now.

My bad.   :shrug:

Liberalism truly  DOES destroy brain cells.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #602 on: July 03, 2018, 09:40:02 pm »
Actually no, it wasn’t.

Actually, yes, it was.
and another remarkable historical fact: A nation that kills it's own children doesn't have far to go.

Oceander

« Reply #603 on: July 03, 2018, 09:40:23 pm »
I never realized until this moment how narrow minded, self-righteous and ideologically motivated and downright callous you are.

I suppose I should have noticed it before, but I actually thought you could think reasoned thoughts and have adult conversations............. until now.

My bad.   :shrug:

Liberalism truly  DOES destroy brain cells.......

As you wish.  If you want a conversation, try having one instead of throwing around dog-whistle words that are intended to stop conversation (the way that liberals throw around racism) and grasp that your little subjective feelings on things are not genetically universal and others may not feel the same way you do. 

Oceander

« Reply #604 on: July 03, 2018, 09:41:35 pm »
Actually, yes, it was.
and another remarkable historical fact: A nation that kills it's own children doesn't have far to go.

Actually, no, it wasn’t.  And it was accompanied by infanticide as well. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #605 on: July 03, 2018, 09:45:51 pm »
As you wish.  If you want a conversation, try having one instead of throwing around dog-whistle words that are intended to stop conversation (the way that liberals throw around racism) and grasp that your little subjective feelings on things are not genetically universal and others may not feel the same way you do.

Dog whistle words like "virtue signaling?"

You have done nothing here but vomit leftist, thoughtless propaganda, and denied the science and reality of what abortion is.

It is YOU who have done nothing but repeat the subjective emotions of the pro-abortion crowd, but down deep......... somewhere............  I still believe you understand that killing babies is wrong, and that this country needs to stop doing it.

btw, you have lied about what I've said multiple times, so the self-righteousness you have on display here is paper thin.

Learn to tell the truth about this subject, or leave it alone.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:46:33 pm by musiclady »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Oceander

« Reply #606 on: July 03, 2018, 09:48:00 pm »

You have done nothing here but vomit leftist, thoughtless propaganda, and denied the science and reality of what abortion is.

It is YOU who have done nothing but repeat the subjective emotions of the pro-abortion crowd, because down deep......... somewhere............ you understand that killing babies is wrong, and that this country needs to stop doing it.

btw, you have lied about what I've said multiple times, so the self-righteousness you have on display here is paper thin.

Learn to tell the truth about this subject, or leave it alone.

I have advocated for the view that a woman still has the right to control her body, even if she becomes pregnant, and does not become a mere tool for the implementation of someone else’s religious ideology the moment she becomes pregnant.

I guess individual liberty really isn’t much of a conservative value after all. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #607 on: July 03, 2018, 09:52:45 pm »
No one on this thread is advocating killing babies.

The debate seems to have settled on the best way to pave their way into this world. 

Some think beating the woman as uncaring and selfish with an added punch in the mouth from God should be cemented into American law.

The other half thinks there's a better way.

But no one is advocating killing babies.  Those who claim some are or intimate others don't care are flat out wrong, and they know it.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:53:38 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #608 on: July 03, 2018, 09:53:16 pm »
I have advocated for the view that a woman still has the right to control her body, even if she becomes pregnant, and does not become a mere tool for the implementation of someone else’s religious ideology the moment she becomes pregnant.

I guess individual liberty really isn’t much of a conservative value after all.

Now it's my turn to laugh.  **nononono*

Except that you once again deny the SCIENTIFIC REALITY that the child is NOT the mother's body. and that she doesn't have ANY "right" to control that child by killing it.  And that using the word "liberty" to describe abortion is an outright lie.

On this subject, you are willfully blind.

I would suggest that you put aside your hatred for all things religious, and for people of faith, and actually look at the SCIENCE of abortion.

Many atheists understand the abject horror of ripping apart a human being for convenience. 

Try actually thinking for a change, and stop advocating the death of the innocent.  You can distort all you want and deny what you are doing, but that is exactly what you are doing here.

Think.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:56:37 pm by musiclady »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #609 on: July 03, 2018, 09:56:57 pm »
stop advocating the death of the innocent. 

Stop the damn virtue signaling  :bs:  @musiclady   No one is doing that.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #610 on: July 03, 2018, 10:00:57 pm »

The debate seems to have settled on the best way to pave their way into this world. 

Some think beating the woman as uncaring and selfish with an added punch in the mouth from God should be cemented into American law.

But no one is advocating killing babies.  Those who claim some are or intimate others don't care are flat out wrong, and they know it.

There is no half vs half on this thread as far as I have been able to determine.  It's you and a couple of others vs everyone else.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #611 on: July 03, 2018, 10:03:02 pm »
Actually, no, it wasn’t.  And it was accompanied by infanticide as well.

nope.
Among elites perhaps. Among nomadic war tribes, yes - girls were killed at birth. And they swelled themselves with rape and slaves. Which is widely why they often suffered depredation and decimation.

But to your average agrarian or hunter/gatherer, big families made for more range and less work, as it is to this very day.  And peace time farming and hunting are the norm.

Chastity in women has always been a virtue. Periods of rampant sex never have lasted long, because rampant sex causes disease and it's participants would suffer that consequence - you forget that there was no cure for any of it until very recently.

So a society entering into a sexually liberal condition was in fact, sealing it's own fate.

Oceander

« Reply #612 on: July 03, 2018, 10:07:22 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #613 on: July 03, 2018, 10:07:41 pm »

They sure like the term, don't they? Same crowd likes 'hater' and 'bigot'

No one I know use those terms, and certainly not in that fashion.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #614 on: July 03, 2018, 10:08:09 pm »
And the moment you refuse to let her abort it, it becomes servitude.  It really is just that simple.
As a guy, I have the option to insist that I wear something that will prevent that outcome. Both parties can prevent that, so I'm not buying that argument, from its inception.
I know others who have gone even beyond the barrier method, and had the tubes cut so they cannot become daddies (or create more lives, in addition to the ones they already started).

And there is no obligation to engage in coitus, no matter how great the moment of desire.

So, again, counselor, the time to decide not to father a child is before creating that life.

Afterwards, you are just setting a price on an innocent little head.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #615 on: July 03, 2018, 10:09:16 pm »
Stop the damn virtue signaling  :bs:  @musiclady   No one is doing that.

Yes, @Right_in_Virginia . To advocate for abortion is exactly that, by definition.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #616 on: July 03, 2018, 10:09:21 pm »
There is no half vs half on this thread as far as I have been able to determine.  It's you and a couple of others vs everyone else.

There's gonna be some real tap dancing going on by a handful of people on this forum if the justice Trump picks and gets approved is very pro life and doesn't believe in this made up "right" that Harry Blackmon's clerks ginned up for him in the majority decision in Roe. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Oceander

« Reply #617 on: July 03, 2018, 10:09:50 pm »
nope.
Among elites perhaps. Among nomadic war tribes, yes - girls were killed at birth. And they swelled themselves with rape and slaves. Which is widely why they often suffered depredation and decimation.

But to your average agrarian or hunter/gatherer, big families made for more range and less work, as it is to this very day.  And peace time farming and hunting are the norm.

Chastity in women has always been a virtue. Periods of rampant sex never have lasted long, because rampant sex causes disease and it's participants would suffer that consequence - you forget that there was no cure for any of it until very recently.

So a society entering into a sexually liberal condition was in fact, sealing it's own fate.

Go read some history.  Abortion was limited in many places due to the lack of abortifacients, but where they existed, it was practiced.  And infanticide was practiced, probably in part to make up for the lack of abortifacients.  Again, go read some history. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #618 on: July 03, 2018, 10:11:38 pm »
It was exceedingly rare and shameful, all the way back to Egypt. Not just a Christian thing, mind you. It is industrialization that made the notion possible that a child was a burden and another mouth to feed.

In normative agrarian and nomadic terms, the child is valuable. Priceless even.
It was also a decision rarely made only to save the life of the mother, seriously and painfully deliberated, not taken lightly. As an elective to hide surreptitious sexual activity, something accompanied by shame and stigma, if found out.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #619 on: July 03, 2018, 10:11:42 pm »
They sure like the term, don't they? Same crowd likes 'hater' and 'bigot'

No one I know use those terms, and certainly not in that fashion.

Who created the absurd term "Virtue signaling" anyway?  Talk about dog whistles and distortions.

Yikes.

It's used any time they lose an argument to someone using morality (and reason).

IMO, it's just a knee jerk response when the argument has been lost.

Downright Pavlovian.

And dumb.   **nononono*

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #620 on: July 03, 2018, 10:13:44 pm »
Actually no, it wasn’t.  In fact, the ancients also practiced infanticide. A Roman father had the right to expose a newborn to the elements, invariably killing it.
Because we have finally reached the point where we are as civilized as people who fed Christians to wild beasts for entertainment?

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #621 on: July 03, 2018, 10:13:48 pm »
There's gonna be some real tap dancing going on by a handful of people on this forum if the justice Trump picks and gets approved is very pro life and doesn't believe in this made up "right" that Harry Blackmon's clerks ginned up for him in the majority decision in Roe.

You know, I've been thinking about that.

One in particular adores Trump, and yet has spent half the day arguing on Collins' side of the debate.

It's a moral sticky wicket for the pretend "right" crowd.....

Oceander

« Reply #622 on: July 03, 2018, 10:14:22 pm »
As a guy, I have the option to insist that I wear something that will prevent that outcome. Both parties can prevent that, so I'm not buying that argument, from its inception.
I know others who have gone even beyond the barrier method, and had the tubes cut so they cannot become daddies (or create more lives, in addition to the ones they already started).

And there is no obligation to engage in coitus, no matter how great the moment of desire.

So, again, counselor, the time to decide not to father a child is before creating that life.

Afterwards, you are just setting a price on an innocent little head.

Sorry, but you seem to think that initial consent is some magical pixie dust that forever after prevents one from changing ones mind.  That means you are logically committed to the position, for example, that you cannot robbed or trespassed upon if you initially invited the robber or trespasser in, even if for just a moment or two.  In other words, your position necessarily entails logical absurdities, which means it is incorrect. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #623 on: July 03, 2018, 10:15:13 pm »
Because we have finally reached the point where we are as civilized as people who fed Christians to wild beasts for entertainment?

Zing!!!!!!!

(Those lovely Romans also covered Christians in wax and set them on fire to entertain themselves at garden parties.  Now THAT is a civilization to look up to!)

Oceander

« Reply #624 on: July 03, 2018, 10:16:44 pm »

That’s another issue, but don’t make false claims about history as a way of justifying a given position.

And I agree that infanticide was barbaric and best left to the past.  I also believe that turning a woman into a reproductive slave for the sake of a zygote that isn’t even viable yet is also barbaric.