Author Topic: Justice Kennedy Retiring!  (Read 22954 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Justice Kennedy Retiring!
« Reply #375 on: June 29, 2018, 03:48:32 pm »
“Judicial activism” is just dog-whistle code for “I don’t like what that mean judge said, Mommy!”

No it's not.  It's a clear argument against arriving at judgements that have the effect of legislation and do not follow the limits placed by the Constitution.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #376 on: June 29, 2018, 03:56:27 pm »
That's hypocrisy.

No, the hypocrisy is found in your advocacy of rights found in the 'penumbras' and 'emanations' of the text of the Constitution that you then herald and insist are 'equal protection' when in-fact they are NOT equal protection advocacies, but SPECIAL RIGHTS  to be afforded so as to intrude on institutions that predate the existence of this continent in written history.

Then again, you are one who insists that there is the explicit instruction to separate church and state written in the Constitution.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #377 on: June 29, 2018, 04:20:36 pm »
“Judicial activism” is just dog-whistle code for “I don’t like what that mean judge said, Mommy!”

It is when the term is flung around hypocritically.   But judges are charged with interpreting the law, not making it.  That concept is a sound one,  IMO, so long as it is applied to the goose as well as the gander.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #378 on: June 29, 2018, 04:39:42 pm »
It is when the term is flung around hypocritically.   But judges are charged with interpreting the law, not making it.  That concept is a sound one,  IMO, so long as it is applied to the goose as well as the gander.  

What does that mean?  The standard against which "right and wrong" is measured is the Constitution.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #379 on: June 29, 2018, 04:49:53 pm »

The miniseries on Netflix about the trial was pretty good.  I wouldn't recommend watching it if you're not prepared to be upset by that travesty all over again.

It was pretty good. With the public knowing more about DNA, I wonder if the oucome might have been different?

I had and have empathy for those career prosecutors, up against the Dream Team of rich lawyers. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #380 on: June 29, 2018, 05:09:35 pm »
It was pretty good. With the public knowing more about DNA, I wonder if the oucome might have been different?

I had and have empathy for those career prosecutors, up against the Dream Team of rich lawyers.

There were missteps made by the investigators and prosecution that were fatal errors.  Most of all, it was a referendum on the King trial and riots, a couple years prior.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #381 on: June 29, 2018, 06:29:13 pm »
Agree. Fidelity to the constitution as written is paramount.

Gorsuch showed fidelity to the constitution when he voted against the original travel ban.  He showed it again when he voted FOR the revised travel ban.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #382 on: June 29, 2018, 08:54:47 pm »
@Jazzhead is the same poster who says "abortion must remain legal" despite what the Constitution says.  He also says that 'special Protection' trumps the Bill of Rights.

Oh sure, he claims it to be "equal" protection.  Yet it is a protection that is not extended to polygamists.

For Jazzhead to claim to want Justices who rule based on the Constitution is pure unadulterated bullshit.  Look no further than his elevation of 'separation of church and state' as superior to the wording of Amendment I.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #383 on: June 29, 2018, 09:27:38 pm »
Oh sure, he claims it to be "equal" protection.  Yet it is a protection that is not extended to polygamists.
Or even the involuntary single, which they don't even recognize.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #384 on: June 29, 2018, 09:33:01 pm »
Or even the involuntary single, which they don't even recognize.
A serious suggestion, to deal with your obsession over being involuntarily single:

Embrace Jordan B. Peterson

Available in book form, podcast form, YouTube form. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Hoodat

« Reply #385 on: June 29, 2018, 10:36:29 pm »
Overturning Roe v. Wade at this late date would be the height of judicial activism.

Roe v. Wade is judicial activism.  To overturn Roe is to overturn judicial activism.

The proper avenue is a Constitutional amendment, but you know damn well there is no support for that.

What's the point of a Constitutional amendment when the Constitution itself is being ignored?

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #386 on: June 29, 2018, 10:44:08 pm »
Roe v. Wade is judicial activism.  To overturn Roe is to overturn judicial activism.

What's the point of a Constitutional amendment when the Constitution itself is being ignored?

Nope.  Whatever its provenance, it’s become as much a part of the Constitutional fabric as much else, and overturning it now would be judicial activism. 

Online Hoodat

« Reply #387 on: June 29, 2018, 10:45:54 pm »
We can expect the SCOTUS to clarify the right of the states to regulate/restrict the abortion right

The abortion right?  This ought to be good.  Where in the Constitution can I find this so-called abortion right?

Good grief, man.  The dishonesty of your argument is startling.  The 'abortion' right was an invention of the Roe court - a textbook example of judicial activism.  Yet you rail against judicial activism in your quest to protect It?  Wow.  Just wow.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #388 on: June 29, 2018, 10:52:33 pm »
Nope.  Whatever its provenance, it’s become as much a part of the Constitutional fabric as much else, and overturning it now would be judicial activism.

Yep.  They made the same argument about o erturning Plessy.  Congrats.  You and the Klan share the same legal argument.

For me, I'll go by what the Constitution says.  Roe was just as wrong as Plessy.  Both were derived outside the confines of the Constitution.  Both should be overturned.  Per the Constitution. 

And I am sick of people like you offering the silly lie that following the Constitution is somehow bad.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #389 on: June 29, 2018, 11:28:14 pm »

The SCOTUS would probably overturn an Amendment as unconstitutional.  The Ninth Circus would find it so for sure, if it offends their sensibilities.  BTW, that argument is why I stand against an Article V Convention of the States.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #390 on: June 29, 2018, 11:33:29 pm »
Yep.  They made the same argument about o erturning Plessy.  Congrats.  You and the Klan share the same legal argument.

For me, I'll go by what the Constitution says.  Roe was just as wrong as Plessy.  Both were derived outside the confines of the Constitution.  Both should be overturned.  Per the Constitution. 

And I am sick of people like you offering the silly lie that following the Constitution is somehow bad.

@Hoodat

You mind a little company?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #391 on: June 29, 2018, 11:40:48 pm »

888high58888
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Hoodat

« Reply #392 on: June 30, 2018, 12:34:43 am »
@Hoodat

You mind a little company?

Your input is always welcome, @Bigun

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #393 on: June 30, 2018, 12:46:17 am »
Your input is always welcome, @Bigun

"The Constitution is not a living organism.  It is a legal document, and it says what it says and doesn't say what it does not say."

Antonin Scalia
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:48:36 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #394 on: June 30, 2018, 03:47:35 am »
3 of the 5 on the narrowed down short list are women per the Daily Mail. Not sure where they got that from.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #395 on: June 30, 2018, 03:49:02 am »
Hoodat's a blessing to this forum.

Silver Pines

« Reply #396 on: June 30, 2018, 11:43:25 am »
3 of the 5 on the narrowed down short list are women per the Daily Mail. Not sure where they got that from.

@TomSea

If DM said three, that’s wrong.  According to Trump on Air Force One to reporters, he has it narrowed down to five, with two being women.

I don’t care if it’s a woman or not, and I wish it would stop being a factor.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #397 on: June 30, 2018, 11:47:28 am »
@TomSea

If DM said three, that’s wrong.  According to Trump on Air Force One to reporters, he has it narrowed down to five, with two being women.

Makes sense to counter the abortion-rights fear foisted upon women by the DEMS and MSM.   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Hoodat

« Reply #398 on: June 30, 2018, 12:36:02 pm »
Hoodat's a blessing to this forum.

Thank you for your encouragement.  I have a lot of passion for our Constitution.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #399 on: June 30, 2018, 12:37:42 pm »
@TomSea

Agreed.  If appointing a woman is a necessity, then save it for Ginsburg's seat.