Author Topic: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD  (Read 34641 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD
« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2018, 06:08:39 pm »
Trump has a plan.

Well you go ahead and believe that.

I think his plans are limited to whatever strokes his ego and gets him the most exposure and applause or conflict and chaos to keep his mug on the front page and ever- present in the eyes of the people.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2018, 06:09:29 pm »
But there's nothing in the joint statement agreed to by Trump and Kim that allow us to "verify".

@Concerned
When they start returning remains of our fallen troops will that count as verification for point 4 of the agreement?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2018, 06:09:47 pm »
That remains to be seen.  I know USFK has said they haven't been notified of any changes to the joint training schedule...but that won't stop Kim from saying otherwise and using any joint exercise...to include EIB or EFMB competitions as an excuse to say the U.S. violated its promise in Singapore.

But...so what?  All that does is put us right back where we've been with them for decades, with them lying, propagandizing etc..  Which they'd do regardless of whether or not Trump went their.  So in terms of substance, they gain nothing, and we lose nothing by trying.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #253 on: June 12, 2018, 06:10:18 pm »
Well you go ahead and believe that.

I think his plans are limited to whatever strokes his ego and gets him the most exposure and applause or conflict and chaos to keep his mug on the front page and ever- present in the eyes of the people.

So in other words all plans are the result of ego?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #254 on: June 12, 2018, 06:12:25 pm »
That remains to be seen.  I know USFK has said they haven't been notified of any changes to the joint training schedule...but that won't stop Kim from saying otherwise and using any joint exercise...to include EIB or EFMB competitions as an excuse to say the U.S. violated its promise in Singapore.

Pentagon And Seoul Surprised By Trump Pledge To Halt Military Exercises

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s pledge on Tuesday to cancel military exercises on the Korean Peninsula surprised not only allies in South Korea but also the Pentagon.

Lt. Col. Jennifer Lovett, a United States military spokeswoman in South Korea, said in an email that the American command there “has received no updated guidance on execution or cessation of training exercises — to include this fall’s schedule Ulchi Freedom Guardian.”

“We will continue with our current military posture until we receive updated guidance from the Department of Defense,” she added.

In Washington, officials at the Pentagon, State Department and White House were scrambling to figure out exactly the impact of Mr. Trump’s comments.

“The Department of Defense continues to work with the White House, the interagency, and our allies and partners on the way forward,” Lt. Col. Christopher Logan, a Pentagon spokesman, said in an email. “We will provide additional information as it becomes available.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/12/world/asia/trump-military-exercises-north-south-korea.html

Now, keep in mind one of the reasons he wanted to make the change was because the exercises are 'very expensive.'  This is the same guy who justified signing the omnibus for the $700B to maintain military readiness and also asked the Pentagon to come up with a military parade plan for fall.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #255 on: June 12, 2018, 06:12:25 pm »
Only the professional diplomats care about the intangible minutia of flag placement and body language and photo ops.

Well for decades the professionals got us nowhere in this standoff. Instead they’ve only made matters worse by kicking the can down the road. Who are they to criticize this president?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #256 on: June 12, 2018, 06:14:09 pm »
How is that relevant to the topic of this thread, other than to start the NT/ET fight up again?

Start it up again? I guess you missed the previous 194 posts.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #257 on: June 12, 2018, 06:21:19 pm »

So Trump spends money on the military and you complain.  He doesn't spend and you complain.   I think I see a trend.

The fact is the military is always ready there.   Yes some extra resources are pulled in for the exercises but changing it won't cause a problem.  They have plans for just about any contingency.  Heck my first two years there we spent 3 weeks a month playing war.  That gave us a week to do a months work.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #258 on: June 12, 2018, 06:23:40 pm »
West Point is a fine institution...and the Long Gray Line has produced some of the finest military leaders the world has ever seen.  But just because you graduate from there doesn't give you the experience needed to be a politician or hold a cabinet position.  Very rarely have military officers made good politicians.

Your ignorance has been exposed, to quote you. You think anytime, you push a weak argument, just appeal to authority, well besides being the number 1 West Point graduate: Pompeo:

1. Pompeo, 52, graduated first in his class at West Point in 1986, with a major in mechanical engineering. His Army service included patrolling the Berlin Wall before it came down.

2. He continued his education at Harvard Law School after completing his active-duty Army service in 1991, and was an editor at the Harvard Law Review. He worked as a lawyer in Washington for several years, at the powerful law firm Williams & Connolly.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/11/18/10-things-didnt-know-mike-pompeo/

And 8 more things and Director of the CIA. So, anytime, all you've got is throwing out weak arguments against people and parroting authority, Pompeo has it all over you. One can choose to engage in honest debate or just say "I know".

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #259 on: June 12, 2018, 06:29:53 pm »
I am going to comment about this event while blissfully unaware of the ongoing discussion.  I've also missed the news cycle of the morning with its talking heads telling me what I saw last night.  Also blissful.

Anyway.  I came away encouraged.  Encouraged because, while my hopes were high, my expectations were low.  My sense is that Mr. Trump felt similarly.  But, he took a shot and continues to do so.  I gotta give him his props on that alone.  I see this as a process; and as it continues, it will be a process of starts and stops, hope and disappointment.  Ultimately, there will be success or failure.  But we need to be mindful there is all kinds of backchannel communication ongoing between the parties through direct lines and through surrogates.  If there is a Round 2 meeting between the principles, it will be because of a significant advancement in the conversation.  Basic, generic stuff, right?  Enough to keep me hopeful, and encouraged.  It is better this than to see ballistic missile launches across the Sea of Japan.

For trying, Mr. Trump gets the meaningless benefit of a thumbs-up from me.  The world is perilous beyond comprehension.  This is an effort - gamble - worth taking.  I will support it. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:34:50 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #260 on: June 12, 2018, 06:31:36 pm »
So Trump spends money on the military and you complain.  He doesn't spend and you complain.   I think I see a trend.

Same here.  I see a guy who throws shit at the wall, calls it art, and somehow gets people to agree.  Seems like the idea of postponing exercises might have been at least discussed with the Pentagon before the trip.  Keep telling us about his planning, however.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #261 on: June 12, 2018, 06:33:58 pm »
Your ignorance has been exposed, to quote you. You think anytime, you push a weak argument, just appeal to authority, well besides being the number 1 West Point graduate: Pompeo:

And 8 more things and Director of the CIA. So, anytime, all you've got is throwing out weak arguments against people and parroting authority, Pompeo has it all over you. One can choose to engage in honest debate or just say "I know".

My you're sensitive today aren't you?  I suggest Midol.

What you posted is a fine resume...but it does nothing to counter what I said...that just because you graduate from West Point doesn't mean you're automatically more qualified than other people for specific jobs.  Military officers have traditionally turned out to be not so good politicians.

History...bears that out.  And no matter how much you proclaim your emotional attachment to Mike Pompeo...he hasn't been in any of the cabinet positions long enough to give him the fawning praise you want to give him.  He's had a good start at SecState...but that's just it...a start.

He continued his education at Harvard Law School after completing his active-duty Army service in 1991, and was an editor at the Harvard Law Review. He worked as a lawyer in Washington for several years, at the powerful law firm Williams & Connolly.

He spent a total of four years in the service.  Which means he got out as a Captain.  He spent the requisite time in the Army that is required upon admission to West Point to pay off the education they give you and nothing more.

I've spent 20 years now in the Army with combat tours in Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan as well as assignments in Europe and South Korea.

12-18 months as part of the Berlin Brigade is a routine assignment in the grad scheme of things.

Minus the Army service...which Harvard hates with a passion...he's got most of the same education that Obama did.  So he's checked all the Liberal boxes...which is a point of fact you'd hope everyone would ignore. 

So what was that about engaging in "honest debate"?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #262 on: June 12, 2018, 06:36:57 pm »
I am going to comment about this event while blissfully unaware of the ongoing discussion.  I've also missed the news cycle of the morning with its talking heads telling me what I saw last night.  Also blissful.

Anyway.  I came away encouraged.  Encouraged because, while my hopes were high, my expectations were low.  My sense is that Mr. Trump felt similarly.  But, he took a shot and continues to do so.  I gotta give him his props on that alone.  I see this as a process; and as it continues, it will be a process of starts and stops, hope and disappointment.  Ultimately, there will be success or failure.  But we need to be mindful there is all kinds of backchannel communication ongoing between the parties through direct lines and through surrogates.  If there is a Round 2 meeting between the principles, it will be because of a significant advancement in the conversation.  Basic, generic stuff, right?  Enough to keep me hopeful, and encouraged.  It is better this than to see ballistic missile launches across the Sea of Japan.

For trying, Mr. Trump gets the meaningless benefit of a thumbs-up from me.  The world is perilous beyond comprehension.  This is an effort - gamble - worth taking.  I will support it.

@Lando Lincoln
Amen and well said

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #263 on: June 12, 2018, 06:37:35 pm »

Anyway.  I came away encouraged.  Encouraged because, while my hopes were high, my expectations were low.  My sense is that Mr. Trump felt similarly.  But, he took a shot and continues to do so.  I gotta give him his props on that alone.  I see this as a process; and as it continues, it will be a process of starts and stops, hope and disappointment.  Ultimately, there will be success or failure.  But we need to be mindful there is all kinds of backchannel communication ongoing between the parties through direct lines and through surrogates.  If there is a Round 2 meeting between the principles, it will be because of a significant advancement in the conversation.  Basic, generic stuff, right?  Enough to keep me hopeful, and encouraged.  It is better than to see ballistic missile launches across the Sea of Japan.

Mr. Trump gets the meaningless benefit of a thumbs-up from me for trying.  The world is perilous beyond comprehension.  This is an effort - gamble - worth taking.  I will support it.

Curious....what will it take for you to address him as 'President' Trump and not "Mr. Trump"?    *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:38:16 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2018, 06:40:13 pm »

@Lando Lincoln

:amen:  888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #265 on: June 12, 2018, 06:41:00 pm »

@txradioguy
Doesn't mean he's less qualified.

He's more qualified than anyone Obama had during his terms. 

But its really results.  and while folks like you want to see Trump fail I think this summit is a very good step in the right direct.   Its a chance to end the Korean war and while you can make Chamberlain jokes all day long it doesn't change the fact that peace is better then war.  Chamberlain was seeking peace through appeasement, just like Bush, Clinton, and Obama.

Appeasement is not what has been happening these last 6 months.

Oh and 20 years in the Army doesn't make you any more qualified then Pompeo.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #266 on: June 12, 2018, 06:41:26 pm »
              Definitely could use less Bread and Circuses

@corbe   I suppose you want to let them eat cake.  I know Rodman is a little 'different' but I watched that segment and it was actually quite touching.  Worth watching to see the look on liberal news guy when Rodman dissed Obama, saying Obama was not interested in improving relations with North Korea.  Hahaha.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #267 on: June 12, 2018, 06:42:55 pm »
Why don’t you go read some of my other posts, where i respond to negative comments being made about the meeting.  Stop being a Trumpalo and go back to being a human being.

But ... didn't you promise no negative gibes on this thread?  Or was that another NTer?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #268 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:09 pm »

Excellent post..you speak for a lot of us here...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

« Reply #269 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:13 pm »
Ummm I didn't say that it was a catastrophe.

How about Trump handing an unstable nuclear ICBM armed dictator a 'tactical victory' for the sake of his ego would be a very very very bad thing, then.

You can't just leave it at 'nuthin'burger'?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:46:14 pm by skeeter »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #270 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:51 pm »
But ... didn't you promise no negative gibes on this thread?  Or was that another NTer?

@Emjay
Careful or he'll put his mod hat on again and make snide remarks.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #272 on: June 12, 2018, 06:45:35 pm »
   PM Chamberlain was also a Tariff Loving Conservative /JS

Is this a tariff thread now?  I thought we were talkin' summit.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #273 on: June 12, 2018, 06:47:37 pm »
@Emjay
Careful or he'll put his mod hat on again and make snide remarks.

Once again @Oceander has no Mod powers here...like everyone else he files a report...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #274 on: June 12, 2018, 06:48:18 pm »
No not really.  Some of us are still living in reality and realize that other than a photo op this was a big nothing burger.  It didn't live up to the breathless hype the Trump cult built it up to be.

What do you mean it didn't live up to the hype?  Did Trump and Kim not kiss at the end?  You have no idea on this earth (but that never stops you) what will result from this summit.