Author Topic: Terrible-Twos Trump Disinvites Philadelphia Eagles to White House Celebration  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.redstate.com/prevaila/2018/06/04/terrible-twos-trump-disinvites-philadelphia-eagles-white-house-celebration/

Donald Trump is in his second year as president and as any parent knows, the second year doesn’t come without some tantrums.

The latest reason for Trump’s floor-wailing? Some of the players on the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles’ team support players who choose to kneel during the national anthem in protest.

The President said in a statement on Monday,

“The Philadelphia Eagles are unable to come to the White House with their full team to be celebrated tomorrow. They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military and the people of our country.”

I know his supporters will devour that hogswallop, but does Trump really think people hate him for his patriotism and not because he is petty and vile? 

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:24:32 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I don't blame him.  This is not a tantrum, it's a stand.  No one who disrespects the country and wants to show off by refusing to come to the White House, should receive that honor.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Suppressed

I don't blame him.  This is not a tantrum, it's a stand.  No one who disrespects the country and wants to show off by refusing to come to the White House, should receive that honor.

The ones he banned are the ones who wanted to go.

But it wasn't good enough for the baby.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

The ones he banned are the ones who wanted to go.

But it wasn't good enough for the baby.

Yeah, because we should give a national platform for your pals the kneelers.

Yeah, because we should give a national platform for your pals the kneelers.
@Frank Cannon Trump invited them, then created a big stink and took back the invite.  Trump gave them a platform so we could talk about something besides witness tampering, and Trump's defense "When the President does it it's not illegal."

Offline Suppressed

@Frank Cannon Trump invited them, then created a big stink and took back the invite.  Trump gave them a platform so we could talk about something besides witness tampering, and Trump's defense "When the President does it it's not illegal."

And the pathetic little noodle head thinks the fans were going there to see him, not the Eagles!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1003820668507623426
Jake Tapper @jaketapper

NFL source notes that not one of the players on the Super Bowl-winning Eagles took a knee all regular and post-season.

Until November, Malcolm Jenkins raised his fist during the anthem to protest racial injustice. In pre-season Ron Brooks took a knee but he was cut.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1003820668507623426
Jake Tapper @jaketapper

NFL source notes that not one of the players on the Super Bowl-winning Eagles took a knee all regular and post-season.

Until November, Malcolm Jenkins raised his fist during the anthem to protest racial injustice. In pre-season Ron Brooks took a knee but he was cut.

This wasn't about the kneeling at all - at least not directly.  The real issue was that most of the players refused the invitation and were not going to go.  Apparently, only 10 or so were actually going to appear, so Trump revoked the team invitation rather than handing players another opportunity to make a political protest.

It's the right decision.  If a majority of the team is going to view the traditional Presidential invite as a political event and not appear, then it should not go forward at all.

I just hope conservative players do the same the next time a Democrat is in the White House.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:42:53 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

This wasn't about the kneeling at all - at least not directly.  The real issue was that most of the players refused the invitation and were not going to go.  Apparently, only 10 or so were actually going to appear, so Trump revoked the team invitation rather than handing players another opportunity to make a political protest.

It's the right decision.  If a majority of the team is going to view the traditional Presidential invite as a political event and not appear, then it should not go forward at all.

I just hope conservative players do the same the next time a Democrat is in the White House.
@Maj. Bill Martin .

So Trump is punishing the 10 Eagles that were willing to be seen with him. 
That is brilliant.  8th dimensional chess with 2 pawns stuffed up the nose brilliant. 
It is fortunate for President Trump that PA is a politically unimportant state, and doesn't care much about football. 
Nobody could win Wisconsin after uninviting the Packers.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:08:57 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
There is no "I" in Team.  All come or no one comes. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Exactly @Maj. Bill Martin   Only ten of the 57 players were planning to go ... total disrespect for the tradition of getting the honor of a White House visit after winning a Super Bowl.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
And the pathetic little noodle head thinks the fans were going there to see him, not the Eagles!

I expect you have a worm's eye view of pathetic.

Offline Applewood

Maybe it's time to do away with the tradition of inviting champion sports teams to the White House.   It's nothing more than a photo op and a publicity stunt anyway.  And now since Obama, major league sports have become instruments of political propaganda.  We all remember the hoopla over Obama's March Madness brackets.  Who the hell cares? 

Trump is supposed to be busy running the country.  He has a summit to prepare for, plus all those promises he made to the voters during the 2016 campaign that in 2 years since he has yet to even begin to fulfill.  Trump should just stay in office, get busy being president and forget about pro sports.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Maybe it's time to do away with the tradition of inviting champion sports teams to the White House.   It's nothing more than a photo op and a publicity stunt anyway.  And now since Obama, major league sports have become instruments of political propaganda.  We all remember the hoopla over Obama's March Madness brackets.  Who the hell cares? 

Trump is supposed to be busy running the country.  He has a summit to prepare for, plus all those promises he made to the voters during the 2016 campaign that in 2 years since he has yet to even begin to fulfill.  Trump should just stay in office, get busy being president and forget about pro sports.

@Applewood   I hear you, but it's just another fun tradition that Americans enjoy.  It's maybe no more useful than pardoning a turkey (I hate that) or petting a groundhog, but we need some light moments in the White House. 

Trump IS busy running the country but that doesn't mean he can't take time for fun little ceremonies and traditions.

The problem is that a few players have stopped making sports fun.  I'm not allowing that to ruin sports for me and it shouldn't ruin sports for the country.

The Eagles are totally responsible for this dis-invite.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!

I've been advocating for the elimination of the stupid Team photo ops since I first heard of the declaration to use them to snub Trump.  Now is a good place to stop all such events...the NBA is planning the same stunt.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!

I've been advocating for the elimination of the stupid Team photo ops since I first heard of the declaration to use them to snub Trump.  Now is a good place to stop all such events...the NBA is planning the same stunt.

@Cyber Liberty   I understand y'all's sentiment but why bow down to some spoiled players?  I think we should keep the tradition but use it selectively. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty   I understand y'all's sentiment but why bow down to some spoiled players?  I think we should keep the tradition but use it selectively.

I'm biased.  I've never liked this "tradition" because it's stupid and it belittles all the losing teams.  Our President has more serious matters to attend too.  Look at how Obastard treated it:  every year he made a huge spectacle on live TV to fill out his March Madness brackets...and this was just for college B-ball.

Now that sports has become politicized, even if the President (whoever) doesn't get snubbed, people will say it's because the jocks love the President's policies.  Jocks are jocks:  They should get no more say in public policy than you or I.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

I don't see it as bowing down.  I see it as not turning sports into a political propaganda tool.  Like I said, we had enough of that with Obama. This president doesn't need this and neither do the rest of us. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I don't see it as bowing down.  I see it as not turning sports into a political propaganda tool.  Like I said, we had enough of that with Obama. This president doesn't need this and neither do the rest of us.

I don't blame the President for never hosting another sports-related event, but I don't believe in sacrificing things we love and have loved for decades because of a few spoiled miscreants.  The pro sports people are beginning to realize they need to get a grip on their employees or their franchises will go down the tubes.

In a couple of years this will be completely over and we can go back to celebrating sports.

And I'm hoping the Cowboys win the Super Bowl.  The team will go as one.

Offline Night Hides Not

My friends and I enjoyed it when Obama went against the Zags in his NCAA bracket, it became a point of pride with us.   :0012:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline corbe

Yall got to the Finals last year, right @Night Hides Not ?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I'm biased.  I've never liked this "tradition" because it's stupid and it belittles all the losing teams.  Our President has more serious matters to attend too.  Look at how Obastard treated it:  every year he made a huge spectacle on live TV to fill out his March Madness brackets...and this was just for college B-ball.

Now that sports has become politicized, even if the President (whoever) doesn't get snubbed, people will say it's because the jocks love the President's policies.  Jocks are jocks:  They should get no more say in public policy than you or I.

I could see the Red Sox going, after winning their first WS in a 'thousand' years...or the Patriots' Jim Brady and Bill Belichick being invited to celebrate their dynasty.    :laugh:

Think what North Korea's Kim would do if multiple players failed to show up at the palace, in protest.

Didn't Saddam Hussein's son summarily execute players on the soccer team after losing the World Cup??

Puts shit in perspective.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline corbe

Sure, @DCPatriot  you put it that way and everyone's a winner since Trump didn't summarily execute the whole damn team on the South Lawn.   
   Thank You President Trump.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Night Hides Not

Yall got to the Finals last year, right @Night Hides Not ?

That was in 2017 against UNC. We lost last year in the Sweet 16 to Florida State. Four straight years in the Sweet 16, not too many programs can say that.

Here's a name for you to remember for next season: Rui Hachimura. He'll be a junior next year, and his game is growing by leaps and bounds. He's adapted well to the American game against much tougher competition than he was used to in Japan.

Recently, about a dozen journalists from Japan followed him around campus for reports on how he's progressing.

We spent several days in Spokane last summer, as I hadn't been on campus in over 15 years. You could tell that Rui had found a home at Gonzaga, whether on the court, or tooling around the campus on his bicycle. He's friendly as can be, and he's got a million dollar smile. No doubt NBA owners are salivating over the prospects of attracting new fans in Japan.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.