Author Topic: Trump signs 'Right to Try,' says it will save 'tremendous number of lives'  (Read 4476 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

You can bet the paperwork is thick and comprehensive.  When has that ever stopped litigation?

I think it would also be prudent to see exactly how the bill is worded. My hunch is that there is a clause protecting the pharmaceutical companies and others involved from facing litigation.

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Let the people try and decide for themselves without waiting for permission from Government is precisely what actual Conservatives believe in.

We do not want to live by leave of the state, or have our choices limited to what Government says they must be limited to.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Let the people try and decide for themselves without waiting for permission from Government is precisely what actual Conservatives believe in.

We do not want to live by leave of the state, or have our choices limited to what Government says they must be limited to.

:amen:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
This is a good thing.  Some people want to try and they should be able to.
@Emjay
I'd been hopeful that he would sign the bill from the moment it got all the way through Congress. This is a good thing no matter how anyone slices it. The government should not be the alpha and omega of someone's medical and pharmaceutical treatment.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Thank you, President Trump ;).
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I think it would also be prudent to see exactly how the bill is worded. My hunch is that there is a clause protecting the pharmaceutical companies and others involved from facing litigation.

Signed, sealed, and delivered laws have a way of getting challenged and finding their way to SCOTUS.  It happens a lot.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Conservatives also don't believe in anarchy.  There's a good reason why the FDA was established.  Are they capable of overreach?  Of course, but you'd better have someone with authority keeping watch.  The BS pulled by Elizabeth Holmes is a current, prime example.  She should be in prison.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:10:50 am by edpc »

Offline roamer_1

There are very natural cures that people have been imprisoned for helping others with.  I use all natural for my cancer.  Have taken much flack from the medical community who immediately wanted to put a port into me and force chemo down it.  To me drugs like chemo and radiation are the last nail in your coffin.  I am doing well.  Praise God!

That's right - I suppose I was heading toward terminal if I would have kept going at it like the docs proscribed.

But a miracle, a Christian Cheyenne medicine man, and a gal with deep training in natural medicine put me on a different path. No more pills, no more side effects... just recovery. In leaps and bounds.

I will be very happy for folks if this actually allows the practice of alt med and breaks the stranglehold of western medicine.

Very happy to hear of your recovery @Chosen Daughter . YHWH is so good.
 :beer:

Offline roamer_1

YEP This is a good thing - and credit where it's due (if in fact, true).

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Ditto.   888high58888

Offline LauraTXNM

And I'm really thankful and glad for all of you cancer survivors ;).  :0001:
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

We are talking end of life, terminal illness.  Not treating someone with an experimental drug on a whim. You are forgetting that the family is also a witness to watching their loved one battle a terminal illness and knowing that no drug worked and that the drug in question was a last resort.  The lawyers would have to prove that the drug killed the family member and not the illness. In reality, because no other drug worked, the illness progressed and the family member consented to using an experimental drug.  If that experimental drugs was also unable to stop the progression of the illness, then the illness  caused the death of the patient.  No lawsuit.

The lawyers don't have to prove anything.  They have to make the jury feel sorry for the deceased and their family, suggest that "someone" needs to do something, and point out that the pharma company has lots of money.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

This is a good thing.  Some people want to try and they should be able to.
@Emjay Agreed.  This is a good thing.

cleared the House last week on a party-line vote of 250-169
Most of the rats don't recognize it as good, or their hatred of President Trump compels them to act against their nature.  This makes it very hard to pass any legislation.  I'm pleasantly surprise to see effective legislation given the obstacles President Trump has placed in front of Congress.

Offline LauraTXNM

@Emjay Agreed.  This is a good thing.
Most of the rats don't recognize it as good, or their hatred of President Trump compels them to act against their nature.  This makes it very hard to pass any legislation.  I'm pleasantly surprise to see effective legislation given the obstacles President Trump has placed in front of Congress.

@Once-Ler, But the GOP has majorities in both Houses -- they shouldn't need any Democratic votes to pass legislation ;).

Offline aligncare

You can bet the paperwork is thick and comprehensive.  When has that ever stopped litigation?

So, who owns your life? You, or the state? And how is your position on this issue consistent with individual liberty and individual sovereignty?

Offline edpc

So, who owns your life? You, or the state? And how is your position on this issue consistent with individual liberty and individual sovereignty?

It would seem as though whatever pharma company the individual would sign up with would own their life.  After all, you’ll need to follow their protocols to receive the care.  They’re not just giving out pills and saying ‘tell us how it works out.’

Offline Polly Ticks

Good summation.

On this issue, mark me down as "Pro Choice".
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I refused chemo and radiation, but I did elect surgery to remove my tumor. I used my version of Gerson for the 7 months it took oncologists to decide my cancer diagnosis.

I didn't follow exactly Gerson.  But have mixed lots of juicing, anti cancer foods and natural supplements.  Eating healthy.  Vitamin C.  Essiac..........etc.  And most of all recognition of Gods healing power.

My CEA has stay under 1.5, and blood work is excellent.  Have had tests and no sign of cancer.

And I am enjoying life.  I know I wouldn't be with chemo.  I have seen too many people decline rapidly once they start chemo.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

That's right - I suppose I was heading toward terminal if I would have kept going at it like the docs proscribed.

But a miracle, a Christian Cheyenne medicine man, and a gal with deep training in natural medicine put me on a different path. No more pills, no more side effects... just recovery. In leaps and bounds.

I will be very happy for folks if this actually allows the practice of alt med and breaks the stranglehold of western medicine.

Very happy to hear of your recovery @Chosen Daughter . YHWH is so good.
 :beer:

Amen!  Thank you, and He is Good!

I don't like to take anything.  Anyone that watches all the commercials on television should know that many medicines bring on other illnesses.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

And I'm really thankful and glad for all of you cancer survivors ;).  :0001:

Thank you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

This is a good thing from President Trump.  I don't know if it includes natural healing.  Hope it does.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The lawyers don't have to prove anything.  They have to make the jury feel sorry for the deceased and their family, suggest that "someone" needs to do something, and point out that the pharma company has lots of money.

Not quite -- courts have the option to throw out cases before they even get to the jury because of a lack of a material issue of fact.  Happens all the time.  Sometimes it even goes to trial, and the verdict gets tossed because there isn't sufficient evidence to support the jury's verdict.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Let's see President Trump has now handed patients another choice and some additional hope vs. idiots suing because their loved one opted for another chance at life.  Really?  This is a no-brainer.  All the liberal idiots who don't want to acknowledge what President Trump has given them can whine and complain while the rest of us may just see our loved one's life extended are even cured of their disease.   :patriot:

We should ALL have a choice to seek whatever medicines may help our illnesses; whether it be man-made or natural substances.  Certainly above all else PRAY for healing!

Offline GrouchoTex

This is a good thing.

I am puzzled that so many conservatives, who say they want less government intrusion, and more freedoms restored, would be against this.
If this is anti-Trump, or anti-congress, or anti-pharma, I'd say that's give it a shot first.

This is the right thing to do, they did well here.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:57:10 pm by GrouchoTex »