Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26711 times)

Offline aligncare

Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2018, 02:22:57 pm »
To call someone a d*ck seems to be an accepted part of many people's speech, mostly young people including many females. But call someone a c*nt, and all sorts of people get upset.
Seems sexist to me....so therefore..............FIRE EVERYBODY!!!! NOW!!!
Just kidding.  22222frying pan

Men (and boys) have been getting their comeuppance ever since radical feminism took root in the 70’s. No more Father Knows Best, now it’s all Dumb and Dumber. Society is clamping down on toxic masculinity, don’tcha know.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2018, 02:28:01 pm »
To call someone a d*ck seems to be an accepted part of many people's speech, mostly young people including many females. But call someone a c*nt, and all sorts of people get upset.

Actually, both are equally offensive and both should be treated the same way.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #327 on: June 03, 2018, 04:31:16 pm »
Men (and boys) have been getting their comeuppance ever since radical feminism took root in the 70’s. No more Father Knows Best, now it’s all Dumb and Dumber. Society is clamping down on toxic masculinity, don’tcha know.
@aligncare
I'm assuming you referenced Father Knows Best the television show. If you'd ever heard the radio original that preceded its television incarnation, you might not make the reference---in the radio Father Knows Best, Jim Anderson was anything but the calm, reasoning, affectionate but firm head of the household. In fact, in his original radio incarnation Jim Anderson was a classic putz who thought he ruled with an iron fist, reeked of sarcasm, and usually got himself caught with his pants down when one of his three kids began a particular infatuation that ended in disaster. (Oh, nooooooooooo! was Father's usual show-closing, exposing-himself-as-clueless line as disaster struck.) About the only difference between the original Father and, say, Chester Riley, was that even as a putz Jim Anderson had a refinement about him. (Riley, of course, had a big heart and a brain that was his worst enemy, on radio and television alike; he was so hamfisted and oblivious to the disaster his buttinski-ism caused you got the impression that his wife was about two seconds away from braining him with an iron skillet or sticking his fool head into the Mixmaster.)

Robert Young originated the role on radio and was the only one of the radio cast to move with the show to television. The radio show (which ran six years) invariably opened with a commercial in which the youngest daughter would ask about the product, Mom would reply and advise daughter about her father's approval of the product, ending with, " . . . and your father knows best!"---in a more than slightly sarcastic tone. Only on television did he become the type we remember---even though he looked more as though the show should have been called Grandfather Knows Best; even now I'm astonished to remember how many television (and, since I became an old-time radio lover some years ago, radio) parents sounded and looked old enough to be their kids' grandparents. (The aforesaid Riley---played by William Bendix---looked more like his kids' grandfather than their father, too, but then when Bendix died in 1964 one wag suggested he'd been born at age 58, his age at his death.)

Why didn't the rest of the radio version's cast move to television with it? It was Robert Young's idea: he came to loathe the original premise because it was laughs at the expense of relationships and---this is something to bear in mind when people remember Father Knows Best on television as being a little too fictional a portrait of family life---at least as unrealistic a family portrait as the saccharine kind. He thought an entirely new cast plus himself would make the show a little more like what its head writer Paul West came to prefer, and West was in position to know: West is usually remembered as being a real-life television version of Jim Anderson, who had four kids to Anderson's three but was remembered as being exactly as gently tolerant but firm as the television character for whom he wrote.

(The classic example of Jim Anderson's tolerance, I remember well, was son Bud's nervousness about a confrontation with a cop, and when Dad said when he was a kid one of his best friends was the town sheriff, Bud shot back, "Really? Wild Bill Hickock?" To which Dad wouldn't blow his top but merely rejoin, "Just how old do you think I am?" You couldn't get away with a wisecrack like that in my house when I was growing up. [I was born the year after Father Knows Best moved to television.] I had parents with million dollar hearts but absolutely no patience or sense of humour when it came to children just being children. In my house you got beaten up worse for mere human mistakes---or, in my case, too, for not knowing how to handle yourself in a fistfight if someone got you into one, thanks to a father who thought it was something you were born knowing rather than something you needed to be taught, and a mother who didn't have the guts to stand up to and against that kind of abuse---than you did for genuine misbehaviour or disobedience. I suppose you could say I've had a sad enough last laugh: I've out-lived my entire childhood household, both of my parents [my father died at 39; my mother, at 61] and my too-wild-oat younger brother [38, shot to death].)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:33:02 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #328 on: June 03, 2018, 05:14:21 pm »
@aligncare
I'm assuming you referenced Father Knows Best the television show. If you'd ever heard the radio original that preceded its television incarnation, you might not make the reference---in the radio Father Knows Best, Jim Anderson was anything but the calm, reasoning, affectionate but firm head of the household. In fact, in his original radio incarnation Jim Anderson was a classic putz who thought he ruled with an iron fist, reeked of sarcasm, and usually got himself caught with his pants down when one of his three kids began a particular infatuation that ended in disaster. (Oh, nooooooooooo! was Father's usual show-closing, exposing-himself-as-clueless line as disaster struck.) About the only difference between the original Father and, say, Chester Riley, was that even as a putz Jim Anderson had a refinement about him. (Riley, of course, had a big heart and a brain that was his worst enemy, on radio and television alike; he was so hamfisted and oblivious to the disaster his buttinski-ism caused you got the impression that his wife was about two seconds away from braining him with an iron skillet or sticking his fool head into the Mixmaster.)

Robert Young originated the role on radio and was the only one of the radio cast to move with the show to television. The radio show (which ran six years) invariably opened with a commercial in which the youngest daughter would ask about the product, Mom would reply and advise daughter about her father's approval of the product, ending with, " . . . and your father knows best!"---in a more than slightly sarcastic tone. Only on television did he become the type we remember---even though he looked more as though the show should have been called Grandfather Knows Best; even now I'm astonished to remember how many television (and, since I became an old-time radio lover some years ago, radio) parents sounded and looked old enough to be their kids' grandparents. (The aforesaid Riley---played by William Bendix---looked more like his kids' grandfather than their father, too, but then when Bendix died in 1964 one wag suggested he'd been born at age 58, his age at his death.)

Why didn't the rest of the radio version's cast move to television with it? It was Robert Young's idea: he came to loathe the original premise because it was laughs at the expense of relationships and---this is something to bear in mind when people remember Father Knows Best on television as being a little too fictional a portrait of family life---at least as unrealistic a family portrait as the saccharine kind. He thought an entirely new cast plus himself would make the show a little more like what its head writer Paul West came to prefer, and West was in position to know: West is usually remembered as being a real-life television version of Jim Anderson, who had four kids to Anderson's three but was remembered as being exactly as gently tolerant but firm as the television character for whom he wrote.

(The classic example of Jim Anderson's tolerance, I remember well, was son Bud's nervousness about a confrontation with a cop, and when Dad said when he was a kid one of his best friends was the town sheriff, Bud shot back, "Really? Wild Bill Hickock?" To which Dad wouldn't blow his top but merely rejoin, "Just how old do you think I am?" You couldn't get away with a wisecrack like that in my house when I was growing up. [I was born the year after Father Knows Best moved to television.] I had parents with million dollar hearts but absolutely no patience or sense of humour when it came to children just being children. In my house you got beaten up worse for mere human mistakes---or, in my case, too, for not knowing how to handle yourself in a fistfight if someone got you into one, thanks to a father who thought it was something you were born knowing rather than something you needed to be taught, and a mother who didn't have the guts to stand up to and against that kind of abuse---than you did for genuine misbehaviour or disobedience. I suppose you could say I've had a sad enough last laugh: I've out-lived my entire childhood household, both of my parents [my father died at 39; my mother, at 61] and my too-wild-oat younger brother [38, shot to death].)
"In my house you got beaten up worse for mere human mistakes---or, in my case, too, for not knowing how to handle yourself in a fistfight if someone got you into one, thanks to a father who thought it was something you were born knowing rather than something you needed to be taught, and a mother who didn't have the guts to stand up to and against that kind of abuse---than you did for genuine misbehaviour or disobedience."

I've always been amused by the people (like Rush Limbaugh) who claim all Baby Boomers were spoiled brats. Which was about 180 degrees from my upbringing.
I was one of seven kids with parents who were mostly hands-off....unless you messed up, in which case they didn't spare the rod. Money was pretty tight until I was almost a senior in high school. My dad worked hard to move us up from poor, to lower middle class, to middle class.  And like many kids, I got a summer job to get a little money for myself.
I didn't know any kids who were the only child in the family and got everything. Most kids I knew had multiple siblings like my family. I didn't know any rich kids until I got to high school. And they weren't my friends.
So while at times I envied only child kids, I'm glad I grew up with multiple siblings. You realized the sun didn't rise and set on your keister, and you learned to navigate without overbearing parents. You learned not to cry and whine for things, because you weren't going to get them if you did or you didn't. You were more likely to get something you very much didn't want, if you know what I mean.
As far as fathers gently guiding their male children through life, I remember my father's words one time when he refused to help me fix my bicycle...."why should I help you?, nobody helped me when I was growing up."
 (And my parents did have it tougher growing up than us kids. My mother was one of ten children. When her grade school offered piano lessons at ten cents a lesson, her parents didn't have the dime to give her for the lessons. That was during The Great Depression.)
So, you learned (or in my case you often times didn't learn) how to cope with life yourself.
Was that the best way to grow up? I think it was better than modern kids with their parents constantly hovering over them, giving them everything,  and preventing them from stumbling and learning on their own.

Offline corbe

« Reply #329 on: June 03, 2018, 05:51:25 pm »
   I enjoy your writing @EasyAce, very soulful.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2018, 06:07:01 pm »
@corbe
Your kindness is overwhelming.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2018, 06:10:49 pm »
@corbe
Your kindness is overwhelming.

He's right.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2018, 07:04:08 pm »
He's right.
@musiclady
Your kindness is overwhelming, too!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2018, 07:16:47 pm »
Oh, the Never Trumpers have a love-in, how sweet.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2018, 07:18:02 pm »
@aligncare

Thanks, you're political insight is uncanny; and your views, uncanny and truthful.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2018, 07:20:28 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Was and still is,but for some reason Georgia Cracker was slang for white people in Georgia.

White trash was a generic term for backwards,ignorant,clueless white people. It seemed to only apply to poor whites,though. People with the same flaws born into wealth seemed to be exempt.
Oh, there were rich white trash, too. Bob DYlan even wrote a song about one such.  Like I have said, one of the reasons I have never golfed, never took it up as a young man, was the sort of people who hung out at the golf courses (country club) where I grew up. Better off hanging with watermen and sharecroppers, they were a finer grade of people and could be counted on to be honest with you, even if they didn't like you, and would have your back if they did. People were more likely to refer to "poor white trash" as such because poor people can only do so much to harm you, especially if you aren't face to face.
Most weren't really "white trash", just poor, and somewhere in there, economics got confused with class and even education. While there were some wealthier gentry (old families with old money, usually more land rich and cash poor, but not always). Rich white trash were just vindictive, wealthy (often from crooked land deals or scalawag/feather merchant activities during the War of Northern Aggression if older money), and connected enough to do some real damage, so they were more likely not to be spoken of as loudly. Most of the pedigrees they brayed about were established through the unfortunate union of some idiot fourth cousin in an older family which still had class, if not money and/or land post bellum.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2018, 07:25:14 pm »
Actually, both are equally offensive and both should be treated the same way.
But they aren't.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2018, 07:37:22 pm »
Wanna fight? Join the Marines! :silly:

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #338 on: June 03, 2018, 07:41:36 pm »

It's official, then.   @EasyAce

E  A  S  Y     A  C  E
             Winner of TBR's 1st Annual
               Funk Soul Brother Award

Congrats to my brother from another mother.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2018, 07:42:24 pm »
Oh damn, my bad.  I thought for a moment that this was "Trump is the greatest thing since sliced bread" thread.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2018, 07:47:53 pm »
It's official, then.   @EasyAce

E  A  S  Y     A  C  E
             Winner of TBR's 1st Annual
               Funk Soul Brother Award

Congrats to my brother from another mother.
@Hoodat
Thank you, from one soul brother to another . . .

! No longer available

Offline musiclady

« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2018, 07:51:38 pm »
But they aren't.

You're right.

But the solution is not to make the filthy smears against women "OK," but to stop the filthy smears against men from being "OK."

You fellers could go a long way to make that happen iffn you want to.  ^-^

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2018, 07:55:26 pm »
Our school band the brothers afro Hair Picks back in 69 or 70 after a couple of unfortunate honkey's fell into them and got all forked up. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline TomSea

« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2018, 07:57:44 pm »
Writing about pro-life, pro-border security, pro-American, pro-Christian values politicians and calling them arsonists is soulful. We've got it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2018, 08:06:11 pm »

What is wrong with you? 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2018, 08:15:07 pm »
You're right.

But the solution is not to make the filthy smears against women "OK," but to stop the filthy smears against men from being "OK."

You fellers could go a long way to make that happen iffn you want to.  ^-^
M'am, we do what we can.

If we complain about it we''re "sexist" or "misogynists" or "Chauvanists" or any of another dozen or so epithets, including "D*ck"..

If we just refuse to date 'em they just join up with the lesbians or find some guy to really abuse them first so they can claim we're all "that way".
About the only thing that works, is "Language! Keep it clean!" but then, we're being "patriarchal".

Ignore it, and that's taken either for assent, or it intensifies in a quest for attention.
:shrug:.
With some games the only way to win is just not play.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #346 on: June 03, 2018, 08:36:54 pm »
Writing about pro-life, pro-border security, pro-American, pro-Christian values politicians and calling them arsonists is soulful. We've got it.
Demurring from the overall stance and conduct of a particular president, or rejecting the political class as we know it now, equals demurring from pro-life, pro-security, pro-American, pro-Judeo-Christian values. I've got it.

How soon they forget . . .

1) I said often enough in 2016 that both presidential candidates in 2016 were prospective arsonists, when all was said and done.

2) I voted for "None of These Candidates" (or anyone else on the presidential ballot) in 2016 (Nevada doesn't have a write-in vote, alas). I wasn't shy or apologetic about saying so. And if the election were held today between the same pair of major party candidates (and the same lot of other presidential candidates) I'd still vote none of these candidates.

3) I'm well on record as arguing that crony capitalism and protectionism are no further along the line of my preferences than downright collectivism.

4) I didn't (and don't) think it's all that brilliant an idea to negate a tax cut (which I praised at the time) with the continuing metastasis of runaway federal spending (which I deplored then and now and always will) and tariffs, all of which are going to make people lament (among other reasons to lament) that it was a nice tax cut while its value lasted. (Congress may have a lot of splainin' to do about that budget, but nobody put a gun to the president's head forcing him to sign off on it, either. Who would have gainsaid if he'd put the iron in his spine, vetoed the damn thing, and then told Congress the onus was on them to write a budget that made sense, fiscal and otherwise.)

But I wonder if anyone among them noticed that, when Donaldus Minimus nominated Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, pecked away at previous egregious executive orders, and signed the right-to-try law, I said it they were good things. As indeed I said about a handful (underline that) of other things he's done. (I'm well on record as saying that, while pecking away at those executive orders was a good thing, the downside is a) they can be well enough reinstated by a future ornery-enough president, so long as presidents continue believing and behaving as though they're the bosses and the Constitution means little to nothing; and, b) in the big picture they amount to chipping a miniscule amount away from the stone that has been the State, about which more anon. The chipping away isn't terrible by any means, but it's rather like merely excising the lump and not bothering to attack the rest of the cancer . . .)

So let me lay it on the line once and for all.

I believe in freedom.

I believe in individual rights and responsibilities.

I believe in a properly-construed government. Meaning, a government whose sole legitimate business---other than protecting and defending us from enemies actual and provably iminent from abroad and predators at home (real predators, not mere vicemongers)---is to stay the hell out of your business, my business, everyone's business, until or unless one would obstruct or abrogate another's equivalent rights. Not the improperly-consecrated State which we have now and have had for several generations, the State that makes its business every damn last nook and cranny of your business, my business, everyone's business, whether it is competent or Constitutionally sanctioned to do so.

I deeply disbelieve in what Gene Healy in https://www.amazon.com/Cult-Presidency-Updated-Dangerous-Executive/dp/193399519X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528058142&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Cult+of+the+Presidency]two[/url] splendid books (one by actual title) called the Cult of the Presidency---regardless of who occupies the White House and has the job, whether it's a president I voted for, a president whom I generally support, or a president I didn't vote for and don't generally support.

And, I believe in one God, and one Lord and saviour,  . . . and They don't live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #347 on: June 03, 2018, 09:18:24 pm »

@goatprairie  Yep, that is dumb, too.  And it seems like Brits use C almost like Americans use D.  Not any better than fag or retard.  What's wrong with personalized insults, like "frizzy-haired moppet", or at least generic body parts like "ass"?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2018, 09:23:24 pm »
Demurring from the overall stance and conduct of a particular president, or rejecting the political class as we know it now, equals demurring from pro-life, pro-security, pro-American, pro-Judeo-Christian values. I've got it.

How soon they forget . . . .....

And, I believe in one God, and one Lord and saviour,  . . . and They don't live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Well said, Ace.  I agree with much of that.  I did vote for Trump, or against Hillary, and hope that history will show that that was the correct course of action. 

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #349 on: June 03, 2018, 09:27:27 pm »
Oh, there were rich white trash, too. Bob DYlan even wrote a song about one such.  Like I have said, one of the reasons I have never golfed, never took it up as a young man, was the sort of people who hung out at the golf courses (country club) where I grew up. Better off hanging with watermen and sharecroppers, they were a finer grade of people and could be counted on to be honest with you, even if they didn't like you, and would have your back if they did. People were more likely to refer to "poor white trash" as such because poor people can only do so much to harm you, especially if you aren't face to face.
Most weren't really "white trash", just poor, and somewhere in there, economics got confused with class and even education. While there were some wealthier gentry (old families with old money, usually more land rich and cash poor, but not always). Rich white trash were just vindictive, wealthy (often from crooked land deals or scalawag/feather merchant activities during the War of Northern Aggression if older money), and connected enough to do some real damage, so they were more likely not to be spoken of as loudly. Most of the pedigrees they brayed about were established through the unfortunate union of some idiot fourth cousin in an older family which still had class, if not money and/or land post bellum.

Your post rings so true, @Smokin Joe!  I think we are unhealthily obsessed with "class" in this country.  Any time someone is complimented as "classy" it is a throwback to admiration of the wealthy. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.