Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26718 times)

Oceander

Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2018, 07:19:06 pm »
Ah see, there's that word again. Everything we don't like is a racist, isn't that right?

To you, perhaps. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #301 on: June 01, 2018, 07:20:00 pm »
To you, perhaps.

:shrug:

If you say so. I don't go around calling everyone a "racist".

Oceander

« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2018, 07:20:47 pm »
:shrug:

If you say so. I don't go around calling everyone a "racist".

But apparently you think it, judging by your own admission.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #303 on: June 01, 2018, 07:21:31 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

When I was in the army in the 60's I knew a couple of guys that were as close as brothers. One grew up in an ethnic Polish neighborhood in Chicago,and the other grew up in an ethnic Italian neighborhood in NYC.  If there was a Pollock or Wop joke those guys didn't know,I can't guess what it would be. They would sometimes just go off on each other with ethnic jokes,most of which were hilarious,and seemed to not bother either of them in the slightest.

People need to lighten up,and probably would if there wasn't so much money to be made from lawsuits.

! No longer available

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #304 on: June 01, 2018, 07:21:53 pm »

Oceander

« Reply #305 on: June 01, 2018, 07:22:33 pm »

Well, you’re the one who said it, mate. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #306 on: June 01, 2018, 07:27:06 pm »
Wow. They just cancelled Roseanne? Thank God I just caught this breaking news here at the site.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2018, 07:30:50 pm »
The Pee Wee Herman defense? "I know you are, but what am I?"

Talk about watching someone make a fool of oneself.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #308 on: June 01, 2018, 07:31:38 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

When I was in the army in the 60's I knew a couple of guys that were as close as brothers. One grew up in an ethnic Polish neighborhood in Chicago,and the other grew up in an ethnic Italian neighborhood in NYC.  If there was a Pollock or Wop joke those guys didn't know,I can't guess what it would be. They would sometimes just go off on each other with ethnic jokes,most of which were hilarious,and seemed to not bother either of them in the slightest.

People need to lighten up,and probably would if there wasn't so much money to be made from lawsuits.

@sneakypete
Yeah, funny that.... I come out of Chicago, and have a lot of kin there. Being Hollanders, the Pollack jokes come fast and furious...

But you ought to notice something... Wherever Hollanders are, Pollacks ain't ever far away. Doesn't matter if it is Chicago, IL, or Bozeman, MT. They always live together, side by each. And that is really saying something, as insular as the Dutch tend to be.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2018, 07:32:22 pm »
But the scoundrels and race-baiters attempting to abolish all sports names of Indians did not go after names like the Fightin' Irish, Minnesota Vikings, or other teams with names of people who were non-Indian indicating their hypocrisy.
You know that, down the road, the next generation of social justice warriors will start complaining that all of the sports teams named after human groups are all white, and that we need more representation of persons of color in sports team names.

Those of us young enough to survive to see that day will just sit back and snicker.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #310 on: June 01, 2018, 07:44:47 pm »
That is a bizarre comment IMO.
It was a non-sequitur. I guess Oceander feels that liking/supporting the name of an Indian tribe for a sports team nickname indicates you are a vile racist but doesn't want to say so directly.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #311 on: June 01, 2018, 07:49:11 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Can you imagine ever seeing a team named "The Harlem Homies","The Detroit Darkies","The Cleveland Crips",etc,etc,etc?

Now you know why blacks didn't want teams named after Indian Tribes.
I seem to recall some amateur sports teams being called "mighty Zulu warriors" or something like that.  Being white, I would have no objection playing for a team with that nickname.  Other people (ahem) might have objections.
There are many black players who have played for teams like the Notre Dame Fightin' Irish or the Minnesota Vikings. I've never heard any black person object to that.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #312 on: June 01, 2018, 08:15:41 pm »
Well, she bailed on Joe Rogan.....

! No longer available

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #313 on: June 01, 2018, 08:45:36 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Can you imagine ever seeing a team named "The Harlem Homies","The Detroit Darkies","The Cleveland Crips",etc,etc,etc?

When I was a kid, my farm league team was called the 'Crackers'.  No one ever told me that i was supposed to act offended at that.

I am sick and tired of all this fake outrage.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #314 on: June 01, 2018, 09:05:00 pm »
When I was a kid, my farm league team was called the 'Crackers'.  No one ever told me that i was supposed to act offended at that.

@Hoodat

And that is exactly what it is.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Oceander

« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2018, 09:06:54 pm »

Why would you be offended by that?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2018, 09:20:32 pm »
Why would you be offended by that?

I wasn't.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #317 on: June 01, 2018, 09:53:58 pm »

@Hoodat

Back when I was a kid,I never heard the term "Cracker". It was always "Georgia Cracker",and supposed to be a slam on white people in Georgia. AFAIK,nobody really gave a damn,including white people from Georgia.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #318 on: June 01, 2018, 10:43:24 pm »
@Hoodat

Back when I was a kid,I never heard the term "Cracker". It was always "Georgia Cracker",and supposed to be a slam on white people in Georgia. AFAIK,nobody really gave a damn,including white people from Georgia.

The internet and 24/7 news cycle changes all that.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #319 on: June 01, 2018, 11:45:19 pm »
@Hoodat

The offensive term was "white trash". "White trash" was the epithet most demeaning, the cultural  for Caucasians, respectively reserved in the circles I traveled in for only those of low morals and character from their respective racial demographics.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online corbe

« Reply #320 on: June 02, 2018, 12:02:25 am »
   As a 10 yo in the early 60's my friends and I would sneak out of the open window in SW LA. (not Los Angeles or Lower Alabama) to go to the end of the street, near the Tracks and tangle with 'other people'. 
   Fast Forward 25 years in Houston on a Halloween night, the same people terrorizing little kids and needless to say the punks put me in the hospital. 
   I am no longer a racist.  (Besides I have Black Friends and watch the NBA)

Sorry for the ThreadJack

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #321 on: June 02, 2018, 12:11:23 am »
The offensive term was "white trash".

Hey now, that's "Mr. White Trash" to you.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #322 on: June 02, 2018, 04:30:53 am »
The offensive term was "white trash". "White trash" was the epithet most demeaning, the cultural  for Caucasians, respectively reserved in the circles I traveled in for only those of low morals and character from their respective racial demographics.

@Smokin Joe

Was and still is,but for some reason Georgia Cracker was slang for white people in Georgia.

White trash was a generic term for backwards,ignorant,clueless white people. It seemed to only apply to poor whites,though. People with the same flaws born into wealth seemed to be exempt.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2018, 08:17:20 am »
Boy, I hope your all's weekend is going better than mine.  My mil is here and the crazy is high.

Anyway, so glad Samantha Bee gave me an example of a late night host being a bigot!  Not a racist, but at least a sexist.  I hope aside from anything else this sparks a discussion about why p**** and c*** are not acceptable insults.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2018, 11:03:39 am »
Boy, I hope your all's weekend is going better than mine.  My mil is here and the crazy is high.

Anyway, so glad Samantha Bee gave me an example of a late night host being a bigot!  Not a racist, but at least a sexist.  I hope aside from anything else this sparks a discussion about why p**** and c*** are not acceptable insults.
To call someone a d*ck seems to be an accepted part of many people's speech, mostly young people including many females. But call someone a c*nt, and all sorts of people get upset.
Seems sexist to me....so therefore..............FIRE EVERYBODY!!!! NOW!!!
Just kidding.  22222frying pan