Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26720 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #275 on: June 01, 2018, 02:44:23 pm »

Just being alive, probably.

Well there is that too...and of course my "unconscious racism".  **nononono*
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #276 on: June 01, 2018, 04:07:18 pm »
Well there is that too...and of course my "unconscious racism".  **nononono*
confess.... confess....CONFESS!!!...otherwise it's the comfy chair for you
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Sn7pr-wCVxY/hqdefault.jpg

Online Hoodat

« Reply #277 on: June 01, 2018, 04:17:36 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #278 on: June 01, 2018, 04:25:45 pm »
Which anyone with a modicum of common sense automatically understands to mean that the perp is not white.
True, but in the area where I spent my youngest years, what was once the other half of the population looks like a meeting of the UN. Considering all those groups will whine and throw the race card, that leaves it down to white/notwhite, which leaves out a lot of potential refinements in between.
Considering a BOLO was to describe who/what you were looking out for, I consider it the height of stupidity to start redacting it on the radio.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #279 on: June 01, 2018, 04:46:51 pm »
There is a general societal idea that it's stupid to make fun of someone because of his race, gender, membership in a group.  There are enough reasons to despise a person because of his individual personality ;).  Stereotyping is a very blunt and lazy way to put someone down.

@LauraTXNM

LOL! That depends entirely upon the race, 'gender', and group membership in question - Like all things liberal, some are more equal than others.

Moreover, in the not-so-recent history of the US, people were actively categorized and discriminated against because of their race, right?  They were called names, denied jobs, not allowed to get married or buy houses, etc. 

They still are, all the time.

A powerful part of that "dehumanizing" was giving groups derogatory names and comparing them to animals.  Sure, "Heeb" comes from "Hebrew".  But it's not a name Jews chose to call themselves, and it was used as a rude slur, like "spic" or "chink".  Those words also might derive from the group's actual names, but they aren't terms of endearment.  Neither is making comments about a group's supposed stereotypical physical characteristics, or comparing people to animals. 

That is bullcrap. I grew up in the midst of that in my youth, and no one took that stuff seriously. Everyone had racial epithets, and everyone used them. If I called my buddy a 'dumb mick' he wouldn't be offended.  And that goes for all the rest. ALL the rest.

Now, if it was INTENDED as a racial slur, totally a matter of intonation and intent, THEN it was an insult.

It's just not kind or civil; it reminds people of horrible things that happened as recently as their grandparents' time.  This is one reason education about the Holocaust is so important, trying to prevent the "othering" that began with caricatures and nasty names. 

Oh, baloney. It was not necessarily unkind, or uncivil, unless it was meant to be. People are different, and those differences are noticed. People like herds, and herds don't always get along. I think one of the most unkind things to come out of American liberals is this whole buttsore attitude over everything. There was a time, not long ago, when people were insensitive to that nonsense, and in a good way.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:50:01 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #280 on: June 01, 2018, 05:40:27 pm »
@roamer_1  I generally agree. If something was intended as an insult, it usually had cusswords wrapped aorund it. Some terms we just didn't use. For instance (and this is 60 years ago), the terms 'colored', 'darky', and 'Negro' were considered acceptable descriptions in polite conversation, although "Negro" was the one considered most acceptable as a racial descriptor. We didn't use "black" so much, because the folks there who would be considered such today reqally varied from high yellow Wesorts to folks who were, indeed, of coal black complexion. Even the descriptions on Police radios characterized the general racial group by intensity of their melanin, by 'light', 'medium', and 'dark".

There were a host of other terms which were intended to be demeaning to downright insults which I will save the Mods the trouble of excising from this post, and those were just terms that got you kicked out of the Parlor, and my mother would have taken a switch to my backside over if she had ever heard me using them.

Sadly, the perpetually offended Liberals have ensured that folks of any stripe feel either stupid or demeaned if they aren't as perpetually offended as the liberals are. Hence sports teams which had names like "Fighting Sioux" have been coerced to change those names and abandon mascots images which were not demeaning to a warrior band, because there is always one person to prop up in front of the microphone as a poster child to put a face on the affront done to liberal sensibilities--and if there isn't, they'll dye their hair, and fudge the skin tone in the images used, and have someone who 'identifies' as a member of the group, from Rachel Dolezal to Fauxcahontas.

Keep in mind, though, the Liberals want grievances, they thrive on the misery, real or imagined, or just ginned up, of others. THey are never so miserable as when everyone is happy.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #281 on: June 01, 2018, 06:10:00 pm »
@roamer_1  I generally agree. If something was intended as an insult, it usually had cusswords wrapped aorund it. Some terms we just didn't use. For instance (and this is 60 years ago), the terms 'colored', 'darky', and 'Negro' were considered acceptable descriptions in polite conversation, although "Negro" was the one considered most acceptable as a racial descriptor. We didn't use "black" so much, because the folks there who would be considered such today reqally varied from high yellow Wesorts to folks who were, indeed, of coal black complexion. Even the descriptions on Police radios characterized the general racial group by intensity of their melanin, by 'light', 'medium', and 'dark".

@Smokin Joe
That's right... and there was no 'brown'... Hispanics were considered white. At least where I was, they didn't get their special aggrieved minority badge till way later.

And for all the aggrieved groups and PC bullcrap, what has it wrought?  More racism, not less. More division, not less. More coarseness, not less. The very fabric of society is coming unwound, and folks just can't help but poke at the sore.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #282 on: June 01, 2018, 06:20:48 pm »
@roamer_1 

@Smokin Joe

I don't know about other areas of the country,but in the SE in the 1950's it was perfectly acceptable to use the words "Negro" or "Colored" in public anywhere,but if you were in trouble if you used the word "black". Non-whites considered that to be an insult.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2018, 06:21:56 pm »
@Smokin Joe
That's right... and there was no 'brown'... Hispanics were considered white. At least where I was, they didn't get their special aggrieved minority badge till way later.

And for all the aggrieved groups and PC bullcrap, what has it wrought?  More racism, not less. More division, not less. More coarseness, not less. The very fabric of society is coming unwound, and folks just can't help but poke at the sore.
There may have been some regional bias, but even where I grew up, it was far enough away from the border that being 'Hispanic' was as likely Spanish as Mexican, at least then, so it was no biggie, people just all did their best to speak English, no matter their background. I remember a fellow whose last name ended in -sky, telling Pollack jokes in the local store until someone pulled him aside and reminded him that his last name was Polish... :shrug:  So it goes, so it went, but everyone had a sense of humor about it. But that was also before the attorneys figured out how to get rich off someone else's butthurt, and ginned that up bigtime. (Y'know, the gig before Big Shyster made Big Money off Big Tobacco, Hot Coffee, and microwave puppies).

All that said, there were instances where people intended things to be offensive, where even that verbal behaviour was acted upon, and those are inexcusable (and partly the reason I don't play golf, but that is another long story).

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #284 on: June 01, 2018, 06:29:36 pm »

There were a host of other terms which were intended to be demeaning to downright insults which I will save the Mods the trouble of excising from this post, and those were just terms that got you kicked out of the Parlor, and my mother would have taken a switch to my backside over if she had ever heard me using them.

Sadly, the perpetually offended Liberals have ensured that folks of any stripe feel either stupid or demeaned if they aren't as perpetually offended as the liberals are. Hence sports teams which had names like "Fighting Sioux" have been coerced to change those names and abandon mascots images which were not demeaning to a warrior band, because there is always one person to prop up in front of the microphone as a poster child to put a face on the affront done to liberal sensibilities--and if there isn't, they'll dye their hair, and fudge the skin tone in the images used, and have someone who 'identifies' as a member of the group, from Rachel Dolezal to Fauxcahontas.

Keep in mind, though, the Liberals want grievances, they thrive on the misery, real or imagined, or just ginned up, of others. THey are never so miserable as when everyone is happy.
"Hence sports teams which had names like "Fighting Sioux" have been coerced to change those names and abandon mascots images which were not demeaning to a warrior band"

What I find interesting is the fact that when they conducted polls among a number of Indian tribes concerning using Indian nicknames for sports teams,  as much as 80% said that had no objections.
But why should they? The reason those teams took names like the Fighting Sioux for their teams was to indicate they were indeed, mighty warriors, teams that were strong and tough. The exact opposite of disrepect which the rabble rousers claimed. Why, indeed, would a sports team take a name of a group they hated and wished to dishonor for their nickname?
No sports team I've ever heard of took the name Wimpy Vegans for their name.
But the scoundrels and race-baiters attempting to abolish all sports names of Indians did not go after names like the Fightin' Irish, Minnesota Vikings, or other teams with names of people who were non-Indian indicating their hypocrisy. I've never heard one group claiming Irish ancestry get upset about Notre Dame using Fightin' Irish for their nickname. There are numerous high school teams in the area where I live that use the name Vikings or Norsemen for their sports teams.  I've never heard a  person of Norwegian descent complain about the teams using Norsemen or Vikings for their nickname.
They even forced the Marquette University sports teams to change their name from Warriors to Golden Eagles. Many countries had/have warriors, but I guess the SJWs felt only Indians could be warriors.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2018, 06:30:29 pm »
@Smokin Joe

@roamer_1

I remember when it was perfectly acceptable to say someone was a Mexican if they were brown and had a Spanish accent. It's wasn't an insult,it was an identified,like "Go get the guy in the back room with the blonde flattop hair cut,and the Mexican to come out and help you load the truck."

I was still calling brown people "Mexicans" when I moved to Colorado in the mid-70's,and moved into a Mexican-majority neighborhood. When I say "Mexican-majority",I mean the movie theater in the neighborhood only showed movies in Spanish,no sub-titles. I have no idea why,but nobody there really seemed to mind,although a few did point out they were Americans.
I guess they could tell I wasn't trying to insult anybody.

And I have to be honest,for some reason I don't really understand,I seem to have always gotten along with Mexicans better than any other group of people,including white people. Yeah,I've had some personal problems with a few over the years,but it was nothing racial from either side.  Then again,I am 1/4 Tuscarora,and have black eyes. Maybe they just see me as one of them? Which is fine with me. It's not like I made a choice or had any control over my birth. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2018, 06:39:30 pm »
"Hence sports teams which had names like "Fighting Sioux" have been coerced to change those names and abandon mascots images which were not demeaning to a warrior band"

What I find interesting is the fact that when they conducted polls among a number of Indian tribes concerning using Indian nicknames for sports teams,  as much as 80% said that had no objections.
But why should they? The reason those teams took names like the Fighting Sioux for their teams was to indicate they were indeed, mighty warriors, teams that were strong and tough. The exact opposite of disrepect which the rabble rousers claimed. Why, indeed, would a sports team take a name of a group they hated and wished to dishonor for their nickname?
No sports team I've ever heard of took the name Wimpy Vegans for their name.
But the scoundrels and race-baiters attempting to abolish all sports names of Indians did not go after names like the Fightin' Irish, Minnesota Vikings, or other teams with names of people who were non-Indian indicating their hypocrisy. I've never heard one group claiming Irish ancestry get upset about Notre Dame using Fightin' Irish for their nickname. There are numerous high school teams in the area where I live that use the name Vikings or Norsemen for their sports teams.  I've never heard a  person of Norwegian descent complain about the teams using Norsemen or Vikings for their nickname.
They even forced the Marquette University sports teams to change their name from Warriors to Golden Eagles. Many countries had/have warriors, but I guess the SJWs felt only Indians could be warriors.
The incident with the Fighting Sioux (University of North Dakota) was imposed by the NCAA. The usage of the name had been cleared with the local bands of Sioux, the logo was designed by Bennett Brien, (Native American artist) and likewise okayed by the Spirit Lake Elders before it was used. All the amenities to ensure no insult, accidental or otherwise, was made had been met fully, again, before the image was used. It was not a carriacture, but an attempt to accurately portray a warrior. No slight intended, nor discerned, until the NCAA found a poster child to lead the charge.

Just wait until birds and other critters find legal representation..... 9999hair out0000

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2018, 06:49:23 pm »
Time was ....

Time was, it was perfectly acceptable to own a man or a woman as a slave and, if it tickled your fancy, best him or her to death.

Times change. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2018, 06:51:34 pm »
Time was ....

Time was, it was perfectly acceptable to own a man or a woman as a slave and, if it tickled your fancy, best him or her to death.

Times change.

That is a bizarre comment IMO.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2018, 06:55:02 pm »
The incident with the Fighting Sioux (University of North Dakota) was imposed by the NCAA. The usage of the name had been cleared with the local bands of Sioux, the logo was designed by Bennett Brien, (Native American artist) and likewise okayed by the Spirit Lake Elders before it was used. All the amenities to ensure no insult, accidental or otherwise, was made had been met fully, again, before the image was used. It was not a carriacture, but an attempt to accurately portray a warrior. No slight intended, nor discerned, until the NCAA found a poster child to lead the charge.

Just wait until birds and other critters find legal representation..... 9999hair out0000

@Smokin Joe

Can you imagine ever seeing a team named "The Harlem Homies","The Detroit Darkies","The Cleveland Crips",etc,etc,etc?

Now you know why blacks didn't want teams named after Indian Tribes.

Oceander

« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2018, 06:56:34 pm »
That is a bizarre comment IMO.

Big deal.   â€œTime was” is a rather silly basis on which to complain that you can’t use today words that were, by your lights, acceptable 30 or 40 years ago. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #291 on: June 01, 2018, 07:00:14 pm »
Big deal.   â€œTime was” is a rather silly basis on which to complain that you can’t use today words that were, by your lights, acceptable 30 or 40 years ago.

@Oceander

You are right. I only use words that are acceptable to me. If you don't like my words,you are welcome to leave so you don't have to hear them.

• Technical
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2018, 07:03:08 pm »
@LauraTXNM

LOL! That depends entirely upon the race, 'gender', and group membership in question - Like all things liberal, some are more equal than others.

They still are, all the time.

That is bullcrap. I grew up in the midst of that in my youth, and no one took that stuff seriously. Everyone had racial epithets, and everyone used them. If I called my buddy a 'dumb mick' he wouldn't be offended.  And that goes for all the rest. ALL the rest.

Now, if it was INTENDED as a racial slur, totally a matter of intonation and intent, THEN it was an insult.

Oh, baloney. It was not necessarily unkind, or uncivil, unless it was meant to be. People are different, and those differences are noticed. People like herds, and herds don't always get along. I think one of the most unkind things to come out of American liberals is this whole buttsore attitude over everything. There was a time, not long ago, when people were insensitive to that nonsense, and in a good way.

Case in point:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #293 on: June 01, 2018, 07:06:13 pm »
All that said, there were instances where people intended things to be offensive, where even that verbal behaviour was acted upon, and those are inexcusable (and partly the reason I don't play golf, but that is another long story).

Well sure, @Smokin Joe ... If you want to piss someone off, there is always a way to do it. And if you want to be offended, the very same applies. And thus the goalposts keep moving... And always will. It's dumb.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #294 on: June 01, 2018, 07:08:22 pm »
Time was ....

Times change.
While ownership was accepted, beating the slave to death wasn't, at least not in decent society.
Aside from being a measure of a man's character, well treated slaves were more productive and likely to be loyal to their owners than those who were mistreated. Owning a slave was a responsibility, much as owning a gun or a car is (a responsibility, I'm not equating owning another human being with owning a piece of hardware. ).
Assh*les are assh*les, regardless of the age, and no father would let his daughter marry one.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #295 on: June 01, 2018, 07:09:49 pm »
Case in point:

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

When I was in the army in the 60's I knew a couple of guys that were as close as brothers. One grew up in an ethnic Polish neighborhood in Chicago,and the other grew up in an ethnic Italian neighborhood in NYC.  If there was a Pollock or Wop joke those guys didn't know,I can't guess what it would be. They would sometimes just go off on each other with ethnic jokes,most of which were hilarious,and seemed to not bother either of them in the slightest.

People need to lighten up,and probably would if there wasn't so much money to be made from lawsuits.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #296 on: June 01, 2018, 07:11:09 pm »
Yeah. "Time was" that a lot of what is said and done in "entertainment" on television would have had the network license pulled.

Funny thing, but there are acceptable moral behaviours which are and remain virtually unchanged for a couple millennia. Most folks with principles use something like that as a standard.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #297 on: June 01, 2018, 07:12:27 pm »
@Oceander

You are right. I only use words that are acceptable to me. If you don't like my words,you are welcome to leave so you don't have to hear them.

Why would I leave?  Watching you make a fool of yourself is fun, and you’ll get your comeuppance if you use your preferred epithets with the wrong people.  Better to know who the racists and bigots are by letting them self-identify. 

• Technical
« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2018, 07:16:42 pm »
racists

Ah see, there's that word again. Everything we don't like is a racist, isn't that right?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2018, 07:18:02 pm »

From my teen years onward, I grew up among natives - Indians - I lived with em, dated em, worked with em... I carry a name with both the Salish and the Cheyenne... which is something like honorary adoption. They have their loudmouth liberals too, but by and large, they are an easy going lot, unlikely to take offense. They also have their stereotypes (which they know are true), but in the main, they are a good and honorable people.

I haven't heard ANY of that rigamarole FROM THEM, to amount to a row of pins.

But it don't take long for a liberal to call me racist toward em. Even though they call me brother.  *****rollingeyes*****