Author Topic: Retired general: Torture worked on John McCain, that's why they call him 'Songbird John'  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I'd like to ask you all a semi-related question.  I've always thought of people who served in the military as heroes, those who served in war even more so, and those who have been POWs as an even more special kind of hero. 

Would you all agree with that or find it naive?

I would, @LauraTXNM and that's why I can't join in condemning McCain on this particular charge (of folding under torture)  None of us know what we would do under torture.  I'd probably start blabbing the minute someone picked up a thumb screw.

But ... McCain has earned the scorn he is receiving now.  Deathbed is the time to review your own faults and forgive your enemies, not do what he is doing.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I would, @LauraTXNM and that's why I can't join in condemning McCain on this particular charge (of folding under torture)  None of us know what we would do under torture.  I'd probably start blabbing the minute someone picked up a thumb screw.

But ... McCain has earned the scorn he is receiving now.  Deathbed is the time to review your own faults and forgive your enemies, not do what he is doing.

@Emjay @LauraTXNM

IMO people who serve honorably deserve to be respected but that doesn't make them a hero.  Few do heroic deeds and fewer are officially recognized.

I spent 10 years in and got out a little after the first gulf war.  Most danger I was in was when north Korean spies tried to kidnap me out of a coffee shop.  That and the other beautiful one trying to seduce me.  But I heroically turned her down.

But seriously most are not heroicnot in the true meaning of the word.  That word is bandied around too easily. 

Dakota Meyer.  Audie Murphy.  James Rowe.  Those guys are heroes.  Read what those guys did. 

Anyone can break under torture.  An argument can be made that McCain was a little too helpful but in my mind that doesn't matter.  What matters is what he did when he came home, and that is not heroic.    If he wanted to go quietly and respectfully then he needs to shut his mouth and spend his last days with his family.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Emjay @LauraTXNM

IMO people who serve honorably deserve to be respected but that doesn't make them a hero.  Few do heroic deeds and fewer are officially recognized.

I spent 10 years in and got out a little after the first gulf war.  Most danger I was in was when north Korean spies tried to kidnap me out of a coffee shop.  That and the other beautiful one trying to seduce me.  But I heroically turned her down.

But seriously most are not heroicnot in the true meaning of the word.  That word is bandied around too easily. 

Dakota Meyer.  Audie Murphy.  James Rowe.  Those guys are heroes.  Read what those guys did. 

Anyone can break under torture.  An argument can be made that McCain was a little too helpful but in my mind that doesn't matter.  What matters is what he did when he came home, and that is not heroic.    If he wanted to go quietly and respectfully then he needs to shut his mouth and spend his last days with his family.

Amen to all that you said and congrats on the heroic turn down.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@driftdiver, Thank you and everyone else here for your service.  I've always thought of you all like nuns ;) -- you all took a vow to serve.  Some of you all have mentioned people in the military who are "dishonorable", and I've known some pretty mean nuns, too.  But I like to think you all outnumber them ;).
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.