Author Topic: Retired general: Torture worked on John McCain, that's why they call him 'Songbird John'  (Read 3295 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Retired general: Torture worked on John McCain, that's why they call him 'Songbird John'
by Naomi Lim
 | May 10, 2018 02:34 PM

Retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Thomas McInerney on Thursday referred to Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., as "Songbird John" and said torture worked on the former POW.

McInerney, during an interview on Fox Business Network, was slamming McCain's refusal to support CIA director nominee Gina Haspel over her past work at the agency involving enhanced interrogation techniques that are considered torture.

"The fact is, is John McCain — it worked on John. That's why they call him 'Songbird John,'" McInerney said.

"The fact is those methods can work, and they are effective, as former Vice President Cheney said. And if we have to use them to save a million American lives, we will do whatever we have to," he continued.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/retired-general-torture-worked-on-john-mccain-thats-why-they-call-him-songbird-john
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Concerned

The Fox Business host, Charles Payne, issued an apology today:

Payne issued an apology on Thursday, saying he “did not catch this remark” immediately during the show.

“This morning on a show I was hosting, a guest made a very false and derogatory remark about Senator John McCain. At the time, I had the control room in my ear telling me to wrap the segment, and did not hear the comment,” he tweeted.

“I regret I did not catch this remark, as it should have been challenged. As a proud military veteran and son of a Vietnam Vet these words neither reflect my or the network’s feelings about Senator McCain, or his remarkable service and sacrifice to this country.”

https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/fox-business-analyst-slammed-for-attacking-john-mccain/
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline bilo

"The fact is those methods can work, and they are effective, as former Vice President Cheney said. And if we have to use them to save a million American lives, we will do whatever we have to," he continued.

It's nice to see an adult perspective.

I don't condemn McCain for succumbing to torture. It's his stabbing conservatives in the back every chance he gets that makes me detest him. All the wringing of hands over waterboarding, or other methods, only ties the hands of those on the front lines trying to save our guys lives.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Not a McCain fan, but that was unnecessary.  Why didn't he throw in some Stockdale jokes, while he was at it?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

This will leave a stain, first @Frank Cannon and now Gen. McInerney, this poor dying Bastard can't catch a break.

<complaint>

You get what you deserve with the life you live. Crazy Johnny sold out his fellow POW inmates. Sold out his fellow Republicans. Sold out his fellow countrymen. There is going to be a "Take A Number" ticket dispenser at his grave for people who want to piss on in.

Personally I plan on camping out like the day before an Apple product releases so that I am first in line.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:07:43 am by MOD8 »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Not a McCain fan, but that was unnecessary.  Why didn't he throw in some Stockdale jokes, while he was at it?

You get respect when you give respect.  McCain  isn't giving any respect to anyone except leftists.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

Because Stockdale hasen't been on a 24/7 hate filled diatribe against the country the last week.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

This will leave a stain, first @Frank Cannon and now Gen. McInerney, this poor dying Bastard can't catch a break.

<complaint>

Don't forget President Bonespurs.  McInerney could have simple said torture worked on McCain instead of resorting to a Trump insult.  He has lost respect for it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:08:15 am by MOD8 »

Offline edpc

You get respect when you give respect.  McCain isn't giving any respect to anyone except leftists.

McInerney should know better.  He was a FAC in Vietnam and was lucky he never got shot down.  He wouldn't have lasted 7 years either.  Besides, he's the guy that made an ass out of himself with the MH370 Pakistan conspiracy theory.

Offline edpc

Because Stockdale hasen't been on a 24/7 hate filled diatribe against the country the last week.

Then argue the issues and don't equate EITs with what happened to people in the Hanoi Hilton.  McInerney is an unwashed anus and should be ashamed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:12:27 am by edpc »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

"The fact is, is John McCain — it worked on John.

This is true.  John McCain admitted this in his book Faith of my Fathers published in 1999.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Then argue the issues and don't equate EITs with what happened to people in the Hanoi Hilton.  McInerney is an unwashed anus and should be ashamed.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline the_doc

@edpc
@Frank Cannon

It seems clear to me that McInerney was not equating EITs with the really bad stuff practiced in Hanoi.  McInerney was obviously citing McCain as proof (by McCain's own admission) that the really bad stuff (like the NVA used) does work.  In other words, he was "arguing the issues," oddly enough.  He was arguing for sanity, for common sense, in the interests of national security. 

Of course, McInerney made his argument in a way that was ultimately shaming McCain.  Actually, I would have been thoroughly appalled by such a remark (citing McCain's nasty nickname of "Songbird John")...until very, very recently... 

....having recently seen really serious evidence on alt.right sites that McCain is not just a poor guy that the Commies broke and not just a RINO.  I am now truly dismayed to consider the possibility, at least, that McCain is one of the very worst traitors in America.  Maybe none of the allegations are true;  on the other hand, maybe they are true.  If that putative evidence becomes public, we might all conclude that McInerney's snarky remark was a drastic understatement of the contempt John McCain has earned from a lot of senior military officers.

(By the way, I confess that I was disgusted by Trump's mockery of McCain during the GOP primary.  I thought it was way over the top.  I still do think it was way over the top at that time.  But if McCain is ever shown to be as bad as some sources are saying he is, then we will all stand in line at his grave to disgrace his memory.  Sarah Palin--who once thought McCain was a swell guy--could very well ask to be at the front of the line.)

Online corbe

@the_doc

As well She should be 
:thumbsup:   
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Trumps earlier comments about he likes heros who dont get captured was stupid.  He can comment on McCain but hasn't earned the right to insult him using his service.  This general has.

McCain is not a hero.  He wasn't that great of a pilot and didn't do anything to really distinguish himself.  Others did much more and dont get treated the same.

McCain needs to shut the hell up and enjoy his family.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I'd like to ask you all a semi-related question.  I've always thought of people who served in the military as heroes, those who served in war even more so, and those who have been POWs as an even more special kind of hero. 

Would you all agree with that or find it naive?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I'd like to ask you all a semi-related question.  I've always thought of people who served in the military as heroes, those who served in war even more so, and those who have been POWs as an even more special kind of hero. 

Yes,

Really, it is a bit of the Bowe Berdahl situation, he was a prisoner, pow, would he be considered a hero? Most of us would say, no way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowe_Bergdahl

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I tend to think of heroes as those who do something heroic and then tend to downplay it.  If they try to ride on its coattails for the rest of their lives that sort of takes away from any earlier heroism.  Like the guy in Sutherland Springs - the one that ran out in his barefeet and engaged the shooter, and then the Johnny guy, who just happened to be driving by and took a barefoot armed man in his truck and went and chased down the shooter.  They were both very modest, denied being heroes and thanked God. 

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@TomSea  About Bowe Bergdahl, If he had been captured and tortured,etc., after getting lost, I would still have thought him a hero.  If he really tried to join the Taliban and they "mistreated" him, I wouldn't call him a hero.  Is that what you mean?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Frank Cannon

Not everyone who serves is a hero. Some are mentally deranged garbage. Jeffery Dahmer. David Berkowitz. Gary Ridgeway. Calling them all heroes diminishes the insane bravery some soldiers display in tough circumstances. Marcus Luttrell and Audie Murphy comes to mind.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Not everyone who serves is a hero. Some are mentally deranged garbage. Jeffery Dahmer. David Berkowitz. Gary Ridgeway. Calling them all heroes diminishes the insane bravery some soldiers display in tough circumstances. Marcus Luttrell and Audie Murphy comes to mind.

Well said.

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline RoosGirl

Everything I post is pure gold!

Except when you disagree with me.

Offline Fantom

No, most who work in the military are just doing a job. No more a hero than anyone else pulling their weight.

In war... depends, supply chain or boots on the ground. War zone or REMF?

POW's, I hold no special status, depends. Crtainly Songbird McCain is not anything special. John Kerry is a traitor. As was Benedict Arnold... a man who was a military "Hero" before a Traitor.

Military "service" is no guarantor of reason, nor preclusion to treason.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Frank Cannon

Except when you disagree with me.

When I think about those nights in Montreal I get the sweetest thoughts of you and me.