Author Topic: Bombing in Syria is on NOW. BREAKING LIVE THREAD  (Read 17543 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Bombing in Syria is on NOW. BREAKING LIVE THREAD
« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2018, 07:08:58 pm »
Radio Poland:

Polish president voices support for allied strikes on Syria

Grzegorz Siwicki 14.04.2018 19:55

Poland’s president on Saturday expressed his country’s support over punitive air strikes on Syria by combined US, UK and French forces.

Andrzej Duda said the overnight strikes “were needed” and added that “decent nations cannot allow innocent people to be killed with chemical weapons.”

"We are a member of the coalition, a member of the North Atlantic Alliance, and, of course, we back and support the actions of our allies,” Duda said.

He added that Poland had been kept informed and consulted ahead of the strikes.

Read more at: http://thenews.pl/1/10/Artykul/358862,Polish-president-voices-support-for-allied-strikes-on-Syria
UN rejects Russian attempt to condemn US aggression in Syria
ABC News

The U.N. Security Council rejected a Russian resolution calling for condemnation of the "aggression" by the United States and its allies against Syria on Saturday.

The vote reflected support for the airstrikes on Syrian chemical sites but it also demonstrated again the paralysis of the U.N.'s most powerful body in dealing with the Syria conflict.

Russia's demand for condemnation and an immediate halt to "aggression" and "any further use of force" by the U.S., Britain and France got support from only two other countries on the 15-member council — China and Bolivia.

Read more at: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/rejects-russian-attempt-condemn-us-aggression-syria-54471186

Offline TomSea

« Reply #276 on: April 14, 2018, 07:19:35 pm »
Excerpt:

How the U.S. and Allies Attacked Syria
@ToluseO More stories by Toluse Olorunnipa

As images of sick or dying children flooded global media all week, the U.S. guided-missile destroyer USS Winston Churchill was en route to the Mediterranean to join a flotilla of allied warships, including another U.S. destroyer, the USS Donald Cook.

It was a ruse.

While both vessels carry as many as 90 Tomahawk missiles -- the main weapon used in the Friday evening strike on Syria -- neither ship in the end fired a shot. Instead, according to a person familiar with White House war planning, they were part of a plan to distract Russia and its Syrian ally from an assault Assad’s government could do little to defend itself against.

Read more at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-14/warship-ruse-and-new-stealth-missiles-how-they-attacked-syria

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #277 on: April 14, 2018, 07:19:39 pm »
Did you lose patience because of a malpractice suit?
****drummer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #278 on: April 14, 2018, 07:21:43 pm »
****drummer

I'm here every Friday and Saturday. Don't forget to tip your waitress on your way out.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #279 on: April 14, 2018, 07:36:42 pm »
I'm here every Friday and Saturday. Don't forget to tip your waitress on your way out.
Now I'm confused, from anyone else I would have no problem with that statement, but from you...............

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #280 on: April 14, 2018, 07:47:58 pm »
So, what do you think @LauraTXNM, should we have done this or not?

@Sanguine  Yes, I think we need to have a fast directed response to any use of chemical weapons as a deterrent.  I agree with Pompeo, that Congress should have authorized an Obama strike -- even better, he shouldn't have waited for their approval.  Same thing here, Trump needed to act.  I wish it could have been done even faster.  (**So I guess Im not an official NeverTrumper now.**)

What do you think?  Was this a mistake?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #281 on: April 14, 2018, 08:09:16 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DB

« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2018, 08:14:51 pm »
I'm not going to get into insulting dishonest arguments, one could easily say "Anyone with half a brain can see things have changed in Trump's perception of the situation", that Assad is gassing people, that Russia/the regime haven't been fighting ISIS that much. This same discussion has happened in this forum. If one feels the need to insult, you aren't winning your discussion and I would hope it can be discussion and not argument.

"In other words nothing has changed"... I'm sure one can talk to a wall somewhere.

What anyone with a brain could see, which is what I said, was that Russia was covering for Syria when they claimed they would rid Syria of chemical weapons. Nothing dishonest about my statement whatsoever.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2018, 10:23:10 pm »

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2018, 11:47:53 pm »
@Sanguine  Yes, I think we need to have a fast directed response to any use of chemical weapons as a deterrent.  I agree with Pompeo, that Congress should have authorized an Obama strike -- even better, he shouldn't have waited for their approval.  Same thing here, Trump needed to act.  I wish it could have been done even faster.  (**So I guess Im not an official NeverTrumper now.**)

What do you think?  Was this a mistake?

@LauraTXNM  Was this a mistake?  I don't know, and I guess we won't until later.  I remember a lot of people were very supportive of going into Iraq the second time.  Looking back, maybe it wasn't the best idea. 

I do appreciate that Trump is willing to make the hard decisions and act decisively. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2018, 11:48:48 pm »
Saw this, I hate stories like this which we "possibly" might have done back in the 1980s, though this article is from 2013, the history pertains to today as well:

Foreign Policy Mag
Exclusive: CIA Files Prove America Helped Saddam as He Gassed Iran
By Shane Harris and Matthew M. Aid

In 1988, during the waning days of Iraq’s war with Iran, the United States learned through satellite imagery that Iran was about to gain a major strategic advantage by exploiting a hole in Iraqi defenses. U.S. intelligence officials conveyed the location of the Iranian troops to Iraq, fully aware that Hussein’s military would attack with chemical weapons, including sarin, a lethal nerve agent.

The intelligence included imagery and maps about Iranian troop movements, as well as the locations of Iranian logistics facilities and details about Iranian air defenses. The Iraqis used mustard gas and sarin prior to four major offensives in early 1988 that relied on U.S. satellite imagery, maps, and other intelligence. These attacks helped to tilt the war in Iraq’s favor and bring Iran to the negotiating table, and they ensured that the Reagan administration’s long-standing policy of securing an Iraqi victory would succeed. But they were also the last in a series of chemical strikes stretching back several years that the Reagan administration knew about and didn’t disclose.

U.S. officials have long denied acquiescing to Iraqi chemical attacks, insisting that Hussein’s government never announced he was going to use the weapons. But retired Air Force Col. Rick Francona, who was a military attaché in Baghdad during the 1988 strikes, paints a different picture

Read more at: http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/26/exclusive-cia-files-prove-america-helped-saddam-as-he-gassed-iran/

So, this was revealed through declassified CIA documents, like those that are being released about JFK, seems nothing has come of those.  Disturbing, even if one wants to make Iran to be a monster. The whole story could be more complicated.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #286 on: April 15, 2018, 12:10:08 am »
Saw this, I hate stories like this which we "possibly" might have done back in the 1980s, though this article is from 2013, the history pertains to today as well:

Foreign Policy Mag
So, this was revealed through declassified CIA documents, like those that are being released about JFK, seems nothing has come of those.  Disturbing, even if one wants to make Iran to be a monster. The whole story could be more complicated.

Which, has been my "be careful what you wish for" point all along.

Iran overthrew the Shah.

Iran Iraq war happens, and we want Iraq to defeat Iran.

Iraq launches chemical weapons against Iran.

Chemical weapons supplied by who? ( take a wild guess).

Iraq gasses its own people. (Wasn't supposed to happen).

USA attacks Iraq.

USA does it again after 9/11, claiming Iraq has Chemical weapons (Gee, I wonder where they came from?).

Inspectors search Iraq for chemical weapons.

Inspectors cannot find them.

Reports are, they were moved the Syria.

USA has been launching attacks against Syria, since the Obama administration, and are continuing it today.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #287 on: April 15, 2018, 12:21:43 am »
Which, has been my "be careful what you wish for" point all along.

Iran overthrew the Shah.

Iran Iraq war happens, and we want Iraq to defeat Iran.

Iraq launches chemical weapons against Iran.

Chemical weapons supplied by who? ( take a wild guess).

Iraq gasses its own people. (Wasn't supposed to happen).

USA attacks Iraq.

USA does it again after 9/11, claiming Iraq has Chemical weapons (Gee, I wonder where they came from?).

Inspectors search Iraq for chemical weapons.

Inspectors cannot find them.

Reports are, they were moved the Syria.

USA has been launching attacks against Syria, since the Obama administration, and are continuing it today.

I think to be fair, perhaps Iran also ended up using chemical weapons;

But honestly, who knows? Just because it is on some webpage but from the little I have read, it appears they did not start doing it until Saddam was using them a few times. Something to research.

https://www.iranwatch.org/our-publications/weapon-program-background-report/history-irans-chemical-weapon-related-efforts

It shows one what a mess we are dealing with.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2018, 12:26:03 am »
I think to be fair, perhaps Iran also ended up using chemical weapons;

But honestly, who knows? Just because it is on some webpage but from the little I have read, it appears they did not start doing it until Saddam was using them a few times. Something to research.

https://www.iranwatch.org/our-publications/weapon-program-background-report/history-irans-chemical-weapon-related-efforts

It shows one what a mess we are dealing with.

To be fair, I would agree.

Before anyone thinks I am just bashing our beloved Republicans, the Dems have many issues that are similar.

See Cuba, And Venezuela, just to name 2.

There are many.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #290 on: April 16, 2018, 08:26:11 pm »
I haven't seen a report on this yet. Did Trump ever go to Congress w/ in the required 48 hour timeframe per the War Powers Act?  He did the first time around right w/ in the legally required time frame.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2018, 04:17:52 am »
If Russia is in Syria, one would think, there being there, should or could possibly keep Iran (and Syria to a degree) and Hezbollah from some careless wild attack on Israel. Russia really should be a stabilizing influence.  Russia should have no intentions of hurting Israel. And Netanyahu and Putin have a fairly good relationship... but Israel attacks, so what do I know. I'm just thinking out loud a little. Daily in the news, there are articles that what Israel is apprehensive about is a heavy Iranian presence in Syria, right next door.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2018, 07:08:50 am »
This was a stunning display of military might and planning.  If the government is to be believed, the destruction of those weapons facilities will save a lot of lives.  The announcement likely delayed construction in other facilities because Assad couldn't know what was being hit or when.  I am assuming that Team America has its facts correct.  If so, it is a testament to the quality of the team President Trump has and picked.   I think it is possible President Hillary could have chosen the same path and be greeted with support from the GOPe, but I don't think she could have chosen a better Military/Foreign Policy team.

Politically it looks like this was magnificent on President Trumps part. 

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia,  because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!
3:57 AM - 11 Apr 2018

It would be hard to prove "collusion" with Russia to the average voter after reading that tweet, even though President Trump is essentially warning Putin to get his stuff out.  President Trump got a lot of political gain out of the chemical attacks and response.

My personal thoughts are that this was an effective, measured, swift, and justifiable response.  I don't know how it could have gone better.  Mission Accomplished.

Offline DB

« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2018, 07:33:28 am »
This was a stunning display of military might and planning.  If the government is to be believed, the destruction of those weapons facilities will save a lot of lives.  The announcement likely delayed construction in other facilities because Assad couldn't know what was being hit or when.  I am assuming that Team America has its facts correct.  If so, it is a testament to the quality of the team President Trump has and picked.   I think it is possible President Hillary could have chosen the same path and be greeted with support from the GOPe, but I don't think she could have chosen a better Military/Foreign Policy team.

Politically it looks like this was magnificent on President Trumps part. 

It would be hard to prove "collusion" with Russia to the average voter after reading that tweet, even though President Trump is essentially warning Putin to get his stuff out.  President Trump got a lot of political gain out of the chemical attacks and response.

My personal thoughts are that this was an effective, measured, swift, and justifiable response.  I don't know how it could have gone better.  Mission Accomplished.

Feeling a little sarcastic this morning?

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2018, 07:42:49 am »
TRUMP'S PULL OUT GAME WEAK!!!
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2018, 08:46:47 am »
Feeling a little sarcastic this morning?
Not at all.  I approve of the strikes and I think President Trump improved his standing with more voters than he lost from the anti-globalist wing of the party.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #296 on: April 19, 2018, 04:33:03 am »

Ankit Panda
‏Verified account @nktpnd
5h5 hours ago

Ankit Panda Retweeted Ankit Panda

#Syria fired 40 interceptors against the 105 US/UK/France guided missiles during Saturday's strikes. 38 of those interceptors were launched *after* all of the coalition's missiles had struck their targets.

https://twitter.com/KyleWOrton

Offline TomSea

« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2018, 04:37:20 am »
I tend to doubt this; still, interesting, should we hear more.

- AEJ خليل
‏ @anteebah_alSham
8h8 hours ago

#BREAKING
SU-22 warplane from #Dhumaiyr airbase carried out airstrikes with missiles filed with Toxic Gas Chemicals targeting #Petra area at 6:52pm, unknown casualties among civilians.
Eastern #Qalamoun cs #Syria April 18

https://twitter.com/anteebah_alSham