Author Topic: Paul Ryan's retirement could signal a disastrous midterm election cycle for Republicans  (Read 634 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Paul Ryan's retirement could signal a disastrous midterm election cycle for Republicans
Joe Perticone

House Speaker Paul Ryan on Wednesday announced he would not run for reelection, becoming the latest Republican to plan to depart Congress ahead of the midterm elections this year.
    Ryan's retirement could signal to other Republicans that tough reelection bids might not be worth the fight.

WASHINGTON — When House Speaker Paul Ryan told his colleagues on Wednesday that he would retire at the end of the year, he signaled what many Republicans are already thinking: Midterm elections will be rough for the GOP if it wants to keep its majority.

Read more at: http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-ryan-retirement-disastrous-midterm-for-republicans-2018-4

Personally, I tend to doubt the spirit of this article, meaning its overall tone but it might be so.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
...."could signal....?

IOW the usual standard of journalistic excellence in display.

Continuous 24/7/365 efforts to manipulate opinions and votes.

Enough people to generate over 300 electoral college votes, decided to not buy into the daily drumbest of manipulation.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The fact that Ryan and a host of other Republicans are suddenly 'retiring' is proof enough that they know the jig is up and they are going to be shellacked in November.

Deservedly so.

The media doesn't have to do jack shit to ensure that outcome.

The Republican party itself has ensured it's fate - and deservedly so.

As a local state rep running for office told me last week, they expect to lose the House and depending how disgusted the Republican party base is, he thinks he may lose his own bid to the local Democrat in a red, red district.  There is absolutely NO enthusiasm for the Republican party among its members who are likely going to sit this one out - or hopefully go and vote for a 3rd party choice.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline the_doc

Personally, I tend to doubt the spirit of this article, meaning its overall tone but it might be so.

Heck, Ryan's departure could very well "signal" an upcoming slaughter of Democrats and RINOs in 2018.  I suspect that RINO Ryan is just hunkering down--or, more precisely, running away--in anticipation of that electoral massacre.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My Rep. is Rohrabacher, a conservative guy. Held office for decades.

His democrat challengers got close but this time, his challenger is another Republican.

The former head of the CA GOP, Scott Baugh. I don't yet have their policy differences.

I think Baugh feels Dana may be so weak that he's vulnerable.

Interesting times.  Some will be influenced by different positions on medical, recreational marijuana, sober living homes, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

You can't spend a decade ginning up enthusiasm from your base promising things and then when you are able to do something, do nothing. All Paul Ryan had to do was pass a legit budget and end Obamacare. Failed on both.

There is a silver lining here. This blood letting will get rid of a lot of GOP dead wood so that new people can get in. The entrenched loser we have now are worthless and don't deserve to run a taco stand.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
There is a silver lining here. This blood letting will get rid of a lot of GOP dead wood so that new people can get in. The entrenched loser we have now are worthless and don't deserve to run a taco stand.

True, but you're going to have to find a way to rewrite the rules committee changes from the last two election cycles in order for anyone not a clone of GOP dead wood to get a nomination to national office.

Personally, I think those rules changes were cemented so that there was no chance anyone but those whom the current establishment oligarchs bestow their blessing would be able to win elections.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bilo

The fact that Ryan and a host of other Republicans are suddenly 'retiring' is proof enough that they know the jig is up and they are going to be shellacked in November.

Deservedly so.

The media doesn't have to do jack shit to ensure that outcome.

The Republican party itself has ensured it's fate - and deservedly so.

As a local state rep running for office told me last week, they expect to lose the House and depending how disgusted the Republican party base is, he thinks he may lose his own bid to the local Democrat in a red, red district.  There is absolutely NO enthusiasm for the Republican party among its members who are likely going to sit this one out - or hopefully go and vote for a 3rd party choice.

Obamacare "we will repeal it day one!".

Immigration "we will build a wall", "no amnesty", "end chain migration", "end lottery visa's".

They haven't done anything their corporate sponsors didn't approve. IOW, the only thing the Pub party did was pass temporary tax cuts for individuals and permanent tax cuts for corporations.

With this track record I don't see any reason to support them.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

You can't spend a decade ginning up enthusiasm from your base promising things and then when you are able to do something, do nothing. All Paul Ryan had to do was pass a legit budget and end Obamacare. Failed on both.

Spot on!

The only thing I would add is Pres. Trump could have forced their hand if he wanted to and didn't have to sign the omnibus bill.

Offline the_doc

Spot on!

The only thing I would add is Pres. Trump could have forced their hand if he wanted to and didn't have to sign the omnibus bill.

Let's wait and see what POTUS does with the seemingly obscene overabundance of funds and let's also watch his timing for spending it apart from a (time-crucial?) shutdown.  I suspect that the President is spending a lot of money right now, even if we can't see what he is doing.  (And let's see if he clamors for legislation to trim the authorization after he has spent what he thinks he needs to spend.)

Offline bilo

Let's wait and see what POTUS does with the seemingly obscene overabundance of funds and let's also watch his timing for spending it apart from a (time-crucial?) shutdown.  I suspect that the President is spending a lot of money right now, even if we can't see what he is doing.  (And let's see if he clamors for legislation to trim the authorization after he has spent what he thinks he needs to spend.)

There's no waiting and seeing. The Pubs along with the Rats put together an omnibus bill that ends the budgeting process for 2 years. Pres. Trump signed it. IOW, the money is locked in and the Pres has no leverage. Both sides will grandstand and talk a lot, but nothing will be done. Pres. Trump effectively ended his ability to get any of his domestic agenda done by signing the omnibus.

All that's left of his presidency is foreign policy, judicial appointments and trade. He can "nibble around the edges" on domestic issues, but legislatively nothing will be done. If the Pubs lose the House in 2018 we will probably see impeachment proceedings and maybe a show trial in the Senate.

What a wasted opportunity to get things done. We had the House, Senate & Presidency.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Lets give credit for the failure where credit is due.  That gaping war wound of puss that goes by the name of dead McCain made a spectacle  of himself on the senate floor with his thumbs down signal during the vote.  His huge hate boner for trump clouded his vision on doing what was right just so he could stick iut ti the Pres.  Or maybe it was that grapefruit size tumor. Either way the place will be better without Ryan Flake and the dead man walking.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline the_doc

There's no waiting and seeing. The Pubs along with the Rats put together an omnibus bill that ends the budgeting process for 2 years. Pres. Trump signed it. IOW, the money is locked in and the Pres has no leverage. Both sides will grandstand and talk a lot, but nothing will be done. Pres. Trump effectively ended his ability to get any of his domestic agenda done by signing the omnibus.

All that's left of his presidency is foreign policy, judicial appointments and trade. He can "nibble around the edges" on domestic issues, but legislatively nothing will be done. If the Pubs lose the House in 2018 we will probably see impeachment proceedings and maybe a show trial in the Senate.

What a wasted opportunity to get things done. We had the House, Senate & Presidency.

Wait and see.

Offline the_doc

@bilo
@Wingnut
@Frank Cannon
@mystery-ak

I have been saying for many weeks now that Trump really is draining the swamp, even if most people are unaware of what is going on.  Ryan's departure is part of that.

Just now, this TBR thread popped up:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,311873.0/topicseen.html

Our POTUS is actually moving very rapidly and very aggressively--but pretty secretively.