Author Topic: A Third Of Millennials Aren’t Sure The Earth Is Round, Survey Finds  (Read 3311 times)

rangerrebew

A Third Of Millennials Aren’t Sure The Earth Is Round, Survey Finds
April 5, 2018 at 1:28 pm

CBS Local — A new survey has found that a third of young millennials in the U.S. aren’t convinced the Earth is actually round. The national poll reveals that 18 to 24-year-olds are the largest group in the country who refuse to accept the scientific facts of the world’s shape.

YouGov, a British market research firm, polled 8,215 adults in the United States to find out if they ever believed in the “flat Earth” movement. Only 66 percent of young millennials answered that they “always believe the world is round.” Science teachers across the U.S. will be shaking their heads after learning that nine percent of young adults answered that they have “always believed” the planet was flat.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/04/05/millennials-flat-earth-survey/

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
. Only 66 percent of young millennials answered that they “always believe the world is round.” Science teachers across the U.S. will be shaking their heads after learning that nine percent of young adults answered that they have “always believed” the planet was flat.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/04/05/millennials-flat-earth-survey/

Dude......someone's got to make up a 1/3!!!!!!

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sometimes I swear Millennials want to rebel against something so badly that they'd cut off their nose to spite their face, so why not believe the Earth is not round?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:40:46 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Millennials.  The greatest generation.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
In reality, a vast majority of that third probably thought it was an asinine question so they gave a trolling or sarcastic answer.

Offline NavyCanDo

Thank God by the time these idiots are running things my earthey body will be pushing up daisies and I will be in Heaven with the Greatest Generation.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
In reality, a vast majority of that third probably thought it was an asinine question so they gave a trolling or sarcastic answer.

You give them far too much credit.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
What they forgot to mention is that a third of millenials can't read, can't do basic math, can't find America on a world map, and cannot read an analog clock.

Of course they aren't sure the Earth is round, they don't even know what the Earth is. They think the moon is a mini-sun and that is why is shines at night.

The article presents the situation as if these retarded morons have an actual opinion on the question. The reality is, THEY ARE SIMPLY STUPID.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

:thumbsup:

Or remember hearing that it's not spherical, but is modeled geodetically as an oblate ellipsoid.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
What they forgot to mention is that a third of millenials can't read, can't do basic math, can't find America on a world map, and cannot read an analog clock.

Of course they aren't sure the Earth is round, they don't even know what the Earth is. They think the moon is a mini-sun and that is why is shines at night.

The article presents the situation as if these retarded morons have an actual opinion on the question. The reality is, THEY ARE SIMPLY STUPID.

These morons taught to be so by an apathetic people who left their education to government indoctrination centers that conditioned them not to think, but to emote and base their wisdom on what they feel, make up their own truth as they go along.

This is the bunch that says that if they feel like a little girl, even when they have the plumbing of a man and vice-versa, that they are whatever they say they are.

So it should be no surprise that if they feel the earth is flat or square - their truth is that the earth if flat and square.   Anyone who disagrees with that is a 'hater' that needs government guns put to their heads to cease their disagreement with the truth that they feel and insist must be accepted.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
:thumbsup:

Or remember hearing that it's not spherical, but is modeled geodetically as an oblate ellipsoid.

That's probably how I would answer. Along the lines of it I believe the earth revolves around the sun (no, they both revolve around a gravitational point in space between them (but close to the sun).

Offline dfwgator

Sometimes I swear Millennials want to rebel against something so badly that they'd cut off their nose to spite their face, so why not believe the Earth is round?

A Rebel Without a Clue.

Offline dfwgator

Millennials.  The greatest generation.

Or "Drano Shots".

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Failures of education and public schools, lie with the citizens.

They elect school boards, who in turn run the schools, hire and regulate the teachers and the curriculum.

I met an outspoken secondary teacher. She held a Masters in education degree.

I asked her the amount of Economics she had studied, to get that degree. She answered none, nada, zip.

The citizens themselves must demand changes, or the teachers and school administrations will continue in their present misguided ways.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

They elect school boards, who in turn run the schools, hire and regulate the teachers and the curriculum.

I asked her the amount of Economics she had studied, to get that degree. She answered none, nada, zip.

The citizens themselves must demand changes, or the teachers and school administrations will continue in their present misguided ways.

Teachers unions run the show and parents by-and-large are decreed irrelevant in the schooling of their children.

School boards are now part of the political machine - and your average parent has to have ties to local Big Politics to get on school boards, which are as Commie-Leftist run institutions as HOAs.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

That's probably how I would answer. Along the lines of it I believe the earth revolves around the sun (no, they both revolve around a gravitational point in space between them (but close to the sun).

Yup!  Though the barycenter is actually within the radius of the sun, because of the huge disparity in mass and our distance.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

Probably a good thing, the way economics is taught these days.

I was an "emergency substitute" teacher while I was studying for Masters of Education.  They were desperate for substitutes so they'd quick-train anyone with a baccalaureate degree and give emergency certification.

There were rarely any science positions open, so I'd fill in other positions, figuring I'd be better than just having the kids do a study hall.

I once subbed for a social studies teacher...and then found out he taught Honors Level Senior Economics.  I've never had an economics class myself...but I am a scholar, so I knew how to teach myself the lesson quickly.  The lesson was price controls.  Turns out, the teacher had taken out everything in the block plan that was negative about price controls, leaving only how great they are.

So, I figured, "what are they gonna do...fire me?" and quickly taught the lesson as he left it.  I'm a very good teacher, so I was able to effectively cover the material in only part of the time period.  The remainder of the period, I set up a role-playing scenario, where kids near the windows were at the Gulf Coast and needed generators for air conditioning, while the students across the room were up north where there were generators. I then told them how much it would cost to transport the generators, and they saw how few would deliver them generators unless the price could go up.  Those that raised the price got to open the window next to their seats (this was late in the spring and the classroom was hot, and none of this new air-conditioned stuff!).

But I know that was the ONLY bit of the other side they ever saw...because I went beyond what I was supposed to do, one day out of their year.  The rest of the time, they got the typical leftist trash they always get...and no balancing side.
+++++++++

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

They think the moon is a mini-sun and that is why is shines at night.

"The moon is just the sun at night"

! No longer available

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

Some of you older folks might remember an afternoon tv program hosted by the late Art Linkletter which had a segment called "Kids Say the Darndest Things." In that segment, Linkletter would ask questions of children. 

In one segment, Linkletter asked a youngster, "what will the earth be like a hundred years from now?"  The tyke thought and thought, as if he was pondering the greatest question of the age.  Finally, he replied, "Round." 

The audience howled and poor Art Linkletter had to go to commercial to recover.  He couldn't stop laughing.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Some of you older folks might remember an afternoon tv program hosted by the late Art Linkletter which had a segment called "Kids Say the Darndest Things." In that segment, Linkletter would ask questions of children. 

In one segment, Linkletter asked a youngster, "what will the earth be like a hundred years from now?"  The tyke thought and thought, as if he was pondering the greatest question of the age.  Finally, he replied, "Round." 

The audience howled and poor Art Linkletter had to go to commercial to recover.  He couldn't stop laughing.

In a way, those were the "reality" tv shows of my age. Now what they call reality shows seem weird, odd, fake, and staged. Not that I watch much tv. I guess what I am trying to say if the erf is flat I don't want to be subjected to, or have a part in that reality.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

A third of millennials aren't sure their genitals are what they are either.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't know whether to be disturbed at the lack of knowledge, or please at the desire to question every "fact" presented to them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goatprairie

Probably a good thing, the way economics is taught these days.

I was an "emergency substitute" teacher while I was studying for Masters of Education.  They were desperate for substitutes so they'd quick-train anyone with a baccalaureate degree and give emergency certification.

There were rarely any science positions open, so I'd fill in other positions, figuring I'd be better than just having the kids do a study hall.

I once subbed for a social studies teacher...and then found out he taught Honors Level Senior Economics.  I've never had an economics class myself...but I am a scholar, so I knew how to teach myself the lesson quickly.  The lesson was price controls.  Turns out, the teacher had taken out everything in the block plan that was negative about price controls, leaving only how great they are.

So, I figured, "what are they gonna do...fire me?" and quickly taught the lesson as he left it.  I'm a very good teacher, so I was able to effectively cover the material in only part of the time period.  The remainder of the period, I set up a role-playing scenario, where kids near the windows were at the Gulf Coast and needed generators for air conditioning, while the students across the room were up north where there were generators. I then told them how much it would cost to transport the generators, and they saw how few would deliver them generators unless the price could go up.  Those that raised the price got to open the window next to their seats (this was late in the spring and the classroom was hot, and none of this new air-conditioned stuff!).

But I know that was the ONLY bit of the other side they ever saw...because I went beyond what I was supposed to do, one day out of their year.  The rest of the time, they got the typical leftist trash they always get...and no balancing side.
I took an economics class in college forty years ago.  I can barely remember anything about it despite the fact I got a B in it.
But later on as I read more and more conservative literature concerning economics, I did recall the professor rarely or never talked about the things I read in the conservative mags like NR.  For instance, he never mentioned Milton Friedman or any conservative economist, past or present. He never talked about the basic economic principles so commonly presented in most conservative books or magazines. I then realized he was probably a very liberal professor who didn't believe in conservative economics.
I realized my class in economics was almost worthless...like a lot of the college "education" I received.

Offline goatprairie

I realize that, despite the Tide-pod eaters, the condom snorters, and the flat-earthers, there are many very intelligent millennials.
The thing I worry about millennials is what I perceive as their lack of interest in hard news. While some people celebrate the possible death of much of modern liberal media organs, it seems to me that a very large percentage of millennials don't read any news....liberal, conservative, or moderate.
I'd like to be wrong, but just from observing my millennial step-children, none of them have any interest in reading hard news or even historical accounts/books.  They're not stupid, but they just don't read anything important.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Just wondering? You live in Cali? When  a proposition voted into place and then overridden by the powers that be, exactly what "citizens" are you demanding they, those "citizens" demand change? When a single federal judge can seemingly override the popular vote. The Mandate of the people, where do you you run to and where do you take scalps--I mean hide(s)?

I was always a very outspoken person regarding the conduct of local elected officials. Especially when it came to education matters. And then into the personal conduct of those same officials when it came to law enforcement when the broke the law and skated. They made an example out of me. My actions are public record. I own them. I will NOT apologize for those actions. And the way, the powers that be handled that I will NEVER forgive. Or forget.