Author Topic: Chicago Suburb That Banned ‘Assault Rifles’ Is Paying a Big Price  (Read 805 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Conservative Tribune By Cillian Zeal April 7, 2018

A pro-gun group has filed a federal lawsuit against a Chicago suburb that banned so-called “assault rifles” as well as high-capacity magazines, a press release stated.

The Second Amendment Foundation made the announcement just days after Deerfield, Illinois passed the ban, saying that it violated state law.

“The Second Amendment Foundation today filed a lawsuit against the Chicago suburb of Deerfield, Illinois seeking an injunction against enforcement of the ban on so-called ‘assault weapons’ and ‘large capacity magazines’ adopted by the Village Board of Trustees earlier this week,” the statement read.

“Joining SAF in the legal challenge is the Illinois State Rifle Association and a private citizen, Daniel Easterday, who resides in the village and is a gun owner.”

According to WLS-TV, residents who refuse to comply with the ban would face a fine of up to $1,000 a day. Village leaders have the power to decide what qualifies as an “assault weapon.”

Liberals in Deerfield were ecstatic at the meeting where the ban was passed.

“This is our fight. This is our generation’s fight, and we’re going to keep fighting,” anti-gun Deerfield High School student Ariella Kharasch told the village leaders. “Thank you for being part of that.”

“If Highland Park, if Deerfield, if more towns say no to this type of weapon, maybe the state of Illinois says no,” Deerfield Village Manager Kent Street said. “Maybe the federal government says no.”

While a previous Deerfield gun-grabbing ordinance covering high-powered weapons survived scrutiny by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2015, the Second Amendment Foundation’s lawsuit focuses on a provision in state law.

More: https://conservativetribune.com/chicago-suburb-assault-rifles/

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
There is a lot of money to fight this.  Deerfield's coffers are overflowing with cash.   

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

There is a lot of money to fight this.  Deerfield's coffers are overflowing with cash.

Even if the municipality were broke, they would just pass the cost of the lawsuits on to the taxpayers.

Offline WingNot

Even if the municipality were broke, they would just pass the cost of the lawsuits on to the taxpayers.

They do love to pass special assessments  er what we normal folk call Taxes.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Good.  Make them defend this crap law.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Deerfield will suffer the same fate Highland Park, Morton Grove and Mount Prospect did.

ZERO, ZILCH, NADA.

Wads of cash will be taxed on the residents and businesses in the village to fight it out for prolonged years in the corrupt Cook County Court system - that does the bidding of Chicago Proper.

And then, it is the costs the plaintiffs will have to bear, and like the other villages that have already enacted gun bans that were challenged - at some point the futility of fighting it in a corrupt court system will lead to nothing but the ordinance standing - and resident gun owners being forced to turn in and destroy their weapons, or sell them out of state.

And anytime the village deems to do a home inspection for reasons ranging from remodeling and garage sale permits to code violations - examples will be made and residents will comply out of fear or pray that their noncompliance will not be discovered.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Here are the idiots that run that community.

The video of the proceedings on assault weapons is way too long to review, but I watched a lot of it, and was fascinated to see that far more citizens stood up to state oppositions to the ordnance rather than in favor of it.

http://deerfieldil.swagit.com/play/04022018-1409

The Mayor and his minions do not appear to represent the community which elected them.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

All that's missing are the p*ssy Hats.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
They do love to pass special assessments  er what we normal folk call Taxes.

I lived in an upscale Chicago suburb for a few years and those special assessments were insane. They decided to build a new school and everyone in that district was 'assessed' a $2100 fine tax uuuh assessment, whether you had children or not. They decided to upgrade the water and sewage system in the area and everyone was sent a $6000-$6500 bill.

I only mean to clarify that in the Chicago area they don't do that, "everyone chip in fifty bucks" thing. They go for big, big bucks up there. Makes it hard to plan a budget when you never know when these thousands of dollars bills are just going to fall out of the sky.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline WingNot

The video of the proceedings on assault weapons is way too long to review, but I watched a lot of it, and was fascinated to see that far more citizens stood up to state oppositions to the ordnance rather than in favor of it.

http://deerfieldil.swagit.com/play/04022018-1409

Damn that crowd defines WASP.  Though it looks like they have a token Jew for diversities sake.