Author Topic: Former Supreme Court justice: ‘Repeal the Second Amendment’  (Read 53379 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Former Supreme Court justice: ‘Repeal the Second Amendment’
« Reply #775 on: April 08, 2018, 04:58:38 pm »
If you all agree, I will

Why not Rename it "The 2nd Amendment Lounge" and lock it once a year?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #776 on: April 08, 2018, 05:01:19 pm »
For those playing at home. 786 replies.  Nothing new has been added to the conversation.

Chive on.

Hey, I added box-cutters!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #777 on: April 08, 2018, 05:01:19 pm »
Ah the old "There are other threads to click on response"  How droll.
Yep. It's how we droll.  :tongue2:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #778 on: April 08, 2018, 05:05:47 pm »
I think this thread should be locked. Everything that can be said and more has been said  over and over and over....

Can I get a second?

Why?  This argument IS NOT GOING TO G AWAY simply because you decide to shut down and lock a thread.

Next week it will be another township or judge that decides the Second Amendment is irrelevant and outdated and needs to be repealed and we will have this argument all over again.

Shutting down a thread with a high level of activity on it over a fundamental natural right is stupid.  If you're retired of the debate and arguments, don't click on the thread.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #779 on: April 08, 2018, 05:10:32 pm »
Why not Rename it "The 2nd Amendment Lounge" and lock it once a year?

Will there be coffee and donuts?  I'm not maintaining a second Bar so @Frank Cannon can keep raiding it with his lockpicks.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #780 on: April 08, 2018, 05:13:47 pm »
As soon as the people who run this site come up with a way to let a guy not see it and let us remove it from "New reply's to your thread" I will follow your sage advice.  Till then ....STFU.
Oh. The old "I'm tired of this thread so YOU shut up gambit. " Sheesh.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #781 on: April 08, 2018, 05:16:06 pm »
As soon as the people who run this site come up with a way to let a guy not see it and let us remove it from "New reply's to your thread" I will follow your sage advice. 

Did you really need to use the last sentence...see it still works without it.

When/if I can raise enough money to hire a programmer to redo our software this is what we got!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #782 on: April 08, 2018, 05:18:27 pm »
If you all agree, I will

I second. There is plenty of new gun stories everyday. Why in the Rochester let a thread drone on for weeks, especially since it isn't informative or even the slight bit interesting.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #783 on: April 08, 2018, 05:19:27 pm »
As soon as the people who run this site come up with a way to let a guy not see it and let us remove it from "New reply's to your thread" I will follow your sage advice.  Till then ....STFU.

So you are saying you have no self-control there Wingy? You need management to remove the threads you are tired of reading so you don't click on them to read?

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #784 on: April 08, 2018, 05:20:32 pm »
Oh. The old "I'm tired of this thread so YOU shut up gambit. " Sheesh.

How about you give us one interesting direction that this thread can go? So far it is the same shit being said over and over. You think if you have one more long winded screed you will be able to change Jazzy's mind? I would like to see it.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #785 on: April 08, 2018, 05:23:08 pm »
It is what Jazzy would do.

Yes.  Yes it is.

First we would get a lecture about the legal penumbras and emanations from the ether of the text that say management has a legal right to reasonably regulate your reading material.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #786 on: April 08, 2018, 05:25:45 pm »

Shutting down a thread with a high level of activity on it over a fundamental natural right is stupid.  If you're retired of the debate and arguments, don't click on the thread.

INVAR is right.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #787 on: April 08, 2018, 05:26:09 pm »
Yes.  Yes it is.

First we would get a lecture about the legal penumbras and emanations from the ether of the text that say management has a legal right to reasonably regulate your reading material.

Technically, it would be your "commenting material" since you can still read it even if it's closed.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #789 on: April 08, 2018, 05:26:36 pm »
The 5 of you still fighting this out in a circle jerk is so entertaining to us all.

Carry on.

88devil

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #791 on: April 08, 2018, 05:40:52 pm »
Ha!!!!

I never thought I'd see the day.  I'm going to whip out my red Sharpie and mark this right down on my calendar.... :patriot:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #792 on: April 08, 2018, 05:48:06 pm »
This thread is beginning to remind me of the controversial 1983 season 4 episode of The Facts Of Life where Mrs. Garrett's cooking instructor from Paris visits Eastland. Meanwhile, the girls try to deal with a squirrel who got into their bedroom. I hope everyone here takes a moment to reflect on that.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #793 on: April 08, 2018, 05:51:15 pm »
This thread is beginning to remind me of the controversial 1983 season 4 episode of The Facts Of Life where Mrs. Garrett's cooking instructor from Paris visits Eastland. Meanwhile, the girls try to deal with a squirrel who got into their bedroom. I hope everyone here takes a moment to reflect on that.

Yes, I am frequently tormented by that one. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #794 on: April 08, 2018, 05:52:00 pm »
How about you give us one interesting direction that this thread can go? So far it is the same shit being said over and over. You think if you have one more long winded screed you will be able to change Jazzy's mind? I would like to see it.
I doubt he has even read one or he'd have provided that list of MANY places where guns have been registered and it didn't lead to confiscation. As far as it being the same shit being said over and over, these same arguments were used against gun owners and for the NFA of '34, they've just been updated with some new victims. So, you DO get it. The effort to disarm Americans has been going on all my lifetime, and it won't go away. But, like I said to @Wingnut, you don't have to read it, you don't have to click on it. There are other threads to disrupt and take off topic by whining about them. It's a common tactic here. Have at 'em!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 05:55:55 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #795 on: April 08, 2018, 06:10:58 pm »
As far as it being the same shit being said over and over, these same arguments were used against gun owners and for the NFA of '34, they've just been updated with some new victims. So, you DO get it. The effort to disarm Americans has been going on all my lifetime, and it won't go away.

Exactly.  The clever argumentation to repeal the 2nd Amendment, ban 'assault weapons' and punish gun owners is entering a new and frightening phase.

Fighting about this now from keyboards is necessary to arm up Conservatives with knowledge and understanding of our rights so they can take the fight and counter the insipid arguments from the despots.  At the same time, we're attempting to give tyrants and their advocates serious pause to consider what their actions are going to cause in terms of bloodshed should they do as they are saying they will.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #796 on: April 08, 2018, 06:16:25 pm »
I doubt he has even read one or he'd have provided that list of MANY places where guns have been registered and it didn't lead to confiscation.

I'm not here to do homework assignments,  SJ.   It is a simple matter to google the number of jurisdictions in America (which cover somewhat less than half of the population) that have some variety of gun registration.  New York requires the registration of handguns, for example.  A number of places have restrictions on certain "assault" weapons,  and have grandfathered in prior owners as documented by registration.    I presume in those jurisdictions registration has not led to confiscation.  If you care to cite exceptions, go ahead.   The rest support my point.

But we have in this nation a couple of pillars that I choose to rely on before grabbing my AR-15 and threatening to shoot peace officers.    One is the Constitution,  and not just because of the flawed but nevertheless currently-protected status of gun ownership under the 2A.  The other is the rule of law and the right to due process.   Yes,  guns can be confiscated from someone who is, say, adjudged to be mentally unsound.   But that requires that he receive due process.   I applaud the NRA's opposition to laws that might short-circuit due process rights.

But licensure and registration seems like common sense to me,  and I haven't the slightest desire to take your guns away.  I just want you to accept and practice responsibility, just as you do with your car.   

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:23:51 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #797 on: April 08, 2018, 06:23:40 pm »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #798 on: April 08, 2018, 06:24:51 pm »

Have you contributed in any substantive way to this discussion?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #799 on: April 08, 2018, 06:28:28 pm »
A box cutter is not an “assault weapon.” Unless we mean to register and regulate handymen.
You just stated the absurdity of gun control.

Assault weapons are indeed those which can used for the assault on people and can take any number of examples, from knives to guns to box cutters to hammers.

To demand one be controlled and not the others is the whole point that is being made in these threads:  it does not work as something else will take its place.

Why are policemen, always allowed to carry gun not more frequently mass-murderers?  Because it is NOT the weapon which causes harm, it is the one carrying it.

You need to change your way of thinking and direct it towards the individual, not an inanimate object.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington