Author Topic: Death penalty for drug dealers? Count Trump in  (Read 2928 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Death penalty for drug dealers? Count Trump in
« on: March 11, 2018, 05:34:24 pm »
Death penalty for drug dealers? Count Trump in

John Bacon, USA TODAY Published 10:59 a.m. ET March 11, 2018

Drug dealers kill people, destroy families and might deserve the death penalty or life in prison for their crimes, President Trump says.

Trump, speaking at a rally Saturday in Pennsylvania for congressional candidate Rick Saccone, said he got the idea from the leaders of China and Singapore. The U.S. criminal justice system, Trump said, is too soft on drugs.

“You kill 5,000 people with drugs because you’re smuggling them in and you are making a lot of money and people are dying. And they don’t even put you in jail,” Trump said. “That’s why we have a problem, folks. I don’t think we should play games.”

Trump said he recently asked the president of Singapore if that country has a drug problem.

"He said 'We have a zero tolerance policy. That means if we catch a drug dealer, death penalty,'" Trump said.

snip

Trump said he wasn't sure whether the nation would be accepting of such a harsh penalty. Buy he said drug dealers destroy families.

"We can't just keep setting up blue ribbon committees" that do nothing but "talk, talk, talk," Trump said.

Trump has floated the idea before. Less than two weeks ago, Trump suggested "very strong" penalties to hep address opioid addiction.

"Some countries have a very, very tough penalty — the ultimate penalty," Trump said. "And, by the way, they have much less of a drug problem than we do."

Last May, Trump congratulated Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte for a "great job" in his crackdown on drugs. Duterte has boasted about personally shooting and killing at least three crime suspects. Human rights groups and the United Nations have condemned Duterte's vigilante-style campaign that has left thousands of suspected drug dealers and users dead.

Trump acknowledged Saturday that his idea might have dissenters.

"Probably you'll have some people who say 'Oh, that's not nice," Trump said. "But we have to do something."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/03/11/death-penalty-drug-dealers-count-trump/414535002/

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

Re: Death penalty for drug dealers? Count Trump in
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 05:39:16 pm »
This topic is more important than Tom Brokaw

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 05:45:53 pm »
Sigh...

Trump is sounding like Duerte... or just a moron in general on this.

Donny from Queens...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 05:49:31 pm »
This topic is more important than Tom Brokaw

Yes it is.

Do you agree with Trump that drug dealers should be given the death penalty, t_s?

I don't.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 05:50:34 pm »
Yes it is.

Do you agree with Trump that drug dealers should be given the death penalty, t_s?

I don't.

Drug dealers... would that include bartenders and starbucks baristas? They dispense recreational drugs to the masses don't they?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 05:54:28 pm »
Drug dealers... would that include bartenders and starbucks baristas? They dispense recreational drugs to the masses don't they?

While that is true, people who actually deal deadly drugs on the street (especially to kids) are heinous low lives and deserve to be incarcerated, should not be given the death penalty.

Trump is once again craving attention and saying whatever pops into his fevered brain to create the reaction his twelve year old ego demands.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 05:57:38 pm »
Fentanyl/Heroin is a major problem, an epidemic where daily we can see the deaths it causes, let alone those who it doesn't affect so deeply. If one wants to make clear progress on the war on drugs, severe measures are needed. I'm not there now but it is clear, that the present system is a big failure, FAILURE in capital letters.

So, no, I certainly don't think this is trying to seek attention.

I've websearched news on heroin/fentanyl; and it always brings up stories on a lot of hardship it is causing people, bad  guys benefit.

My way really, would be to have a penal colony of no escape; but that is not in the conversation as of now.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:59:05 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 06:01:15 pm »
How about this, just happened:
3 children found in car with parents overdosed on heroin

Two parents overdosed on heroin Friday night with their three children in the car.
Posted: Mar. 11, 2018 12:13 PM
Updated: Mar. 11, 2018 12:55 PM
Posted By: Staff Reports

CARROLL CO., Ind. (WLFI)— Two parents overdosed on heroin Friday night with their three children in the car.

According to a news release from Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby, Carroll County E911 were called to an SUV sitting in the middle of State Road 18 near County Road 1150 West. The two adults in the car were given Narcan for symptoms of a heroin overdose.

Read more at: http://www.wlfi.com/content/news/476486043.html

Stories are daily; heroin/fentanyl users have also killed many in highway accidents. Major problem.

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 06:02:06 pm »
How about this, just happened:
Stories are daily; heroin/fentanyl users have also killed many in highway accidents. Major problem.

How many people die from alcohol and tobacco? How many die from obesity?

Major problem.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 06:04:50 pm »
Daily Caller:

Heroin And Fentanyl Have Caused Overdose Deaths To Triple In Nevada

Nevada officials are seeing a massive increase in the number of residents dying from heroin and fentanyl, despite a slight decline in overall overdose deaths from opioids, local health workers said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/heroin-and-fentanyl-have-caused-overdose-deaths-to-triple-in-nevada/ar-BBK422f

Right now, the dealers and smugglers are causing lots of deaths to start out with, add in car wrecks and so on.

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 06:05:44 pm »
Daily Caller:

Right now, the dealers and smugglers are causing lots of deaths to start out with, add in car wrecks and so on.

Yeah? Same thing with alcohol.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 06:08:49 pm »
How many people die from alcohol and tobacco? How many die from obesity?

Major problem.

True, drunk driving deaths have come way down, but stats are out there showing heroin/fentanyl (they are often mixed together) is becoming one of the major killers,

Heroin now kills more people than guns: Drugs overdoses claimed 50,000 lives in the US last year
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4015536/A-grim-tally-soars-More-50-000-overdose-deaths-US.html
Heroin Overdoses Killed More People in US Than HIV, Melanoma or Firearms in 2015
http://www.wbal.com/article/207617/114/heroin-overdoses-killed-more-people-in-us-than-hiv-melanoma-or-firearms-in-2015

The articles go on and on; it's becoming one of the top killers.  One needs to sort out the stats.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 06:10:24 pm »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 06:19:30 pm »
I don't think this is going to give an erection to the Trump fans.  Trump needs to call for the execution of Chuck Todd and everyone else who disagrees with him.  That will solidify his base. 

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 06:20:47 pm »
Trump did not take an absolute stand. He did start a necessary discussion.

(And he cleverly associated the subject with Oakland's mayor, who warned felons-some likely drug dealers- to avoid capture.)

For the worst of the worst repeat offenders, yes the death penalty. Donestic and international.

Online DB

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 06:21:30 pm »
I don't think this is going to give an erection to the Trump fans.  Trump needs to call for the execution of Chuck Todd and everyone else who disagrees with him.  That will solidify his base.

And skip due process. That can be done later...

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 09:12:42 pm »

I see it too.

Online DB

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 09:16:46 pm »
Trump did not take an absolute stand. He did start a necessary discussion.

(And he cleverly associated the subject with Oakland's mayor, who warned felons-some likely drug dealers- to avoid capture.)

For the worst of the worst repeat offenders, yes the death penalty. Donestic and international.

Name something Trump has taken an absolute stand on in the last 30 years...

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 09:28:48 pm »
Sigh...

Trump is sounding like Duerte... or just a moron in general on this.

Donny from Queens...

Yup.

Hey, here's an idea forthcoming -

Let's give the death penalty for DRUG USERS!

That will clean up the problem virtually overnight.... right?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 09:30:32 pm »
Yup.

Hey, here's an idea forthcoming -

Let's give the death penalty for DRUG USERS!

That will clean up the problem virtually overnight.... right?

I've seen people applaud the fact, that drug users are dying from ods, and at least one Ohio Congressman seeking to limit the number of times a drug addict receives an od antidote.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 09:56:09 pm »
This reminds of Trump's promise to sign an Executive Order requiring the death penalty for cop killers:

“One of the first things I’d do in terms of executive order, if I win, will be to sign a strong, strong statement that would go out to the country, out to the world, anybody killing a police man, a police woman, a police officer, anybody killing a police officer, the death penalty is going to happen.”

Of course, there are no federal or state laws that say prosecutors must seek the death penalty, and Trump did not issue an Executive Order mandating the death penalty for killers of law enforcement.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/262897-trump-i-will-mandate-death-penalty-for-killing-police-officers

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/promise/1344/impose-death-penalty-cop-killers/
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 10:08:32 pm »
This reminds of Trump's promise to sign an Executive Order requiring the death penalty for cop killers:

Of course, there are no federal or state laws that say prosecutors must seek the death penalty, and Trump did not issue an Executive Order mandating the death penalty for killers of law enforcement.

At least he Built the Wall, Drained the Swamp, Locked up Crooked Hillary, Repealed Obamacare, and Made America Great Again!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 11:55:12 pm »
I know that punishing drug dealers is the topic here, but I feel more importantly, in fact I feel it critical that we need to get those addicted some help. Drug use/addiction has risen dramatically and we now have an epidemic.  What we've done in the past as far as drug abuse hasn't worked. Cost is one of the main factors of addiction; many addicts don't have health insurance making it virtually impossible for them to go through any sort of rehabilitation program as the cost of successful rehabilitation programs is astronomical.  Portugal has had some success:

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/portugal-heroin-decriminalization/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 12:26:25 am »
Yeah? Same thing with alcohol.
Just a little factual input.

Trump's brother died of alcoholism.

While only 1 in 10 that drink, will develop serious problems (alcoholism), most WILL have problems with heroin, opioids, methamphetamine, etc..

So comparing dangerous drugs, with alcohol and coffee seems clever, is ridiculous.

Online DB

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 12:28:26 am »
The war on drugs has probably done more damage to the constitution in my life time than any other cause.

No knock raids, swat teems, militarized police, asset forfeiture without due process, endless bank regulation trying to track money, extreme limits on traveling with cash, our communications and border crossings being monitored, etc.

The average person would be shocked at all the rules, regulation and laws that have been born out of the war on drugs. Has access to drugs been reduced as a result? Not so much. Have our lives been invaded, innocence killed and our freedoms curtailed, absolutely.

You would have thought we would have learned something from prohibition.

It seems the "have to do something" crowd feels better doing something regardless of the results.