Author Topic: Death penalty for drug dealers? Count Trump in  (Read 2927 times)

Online DB

Re: Death penalty for drug dealers? Count Trump in
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 12:39:21 am »
Just a little factual input.

Trump's brother died of alcoholism.

While only 1 in 10 that drink, will develop serious problems (alcoholism), most WILL have problems with heroin, opioids, methamphetamine, etc..

So comparing dangerous drugs, with alcohol and coffee seems clever, is ridiculous.

https://www.vox.com/2014/5/19/5727712/drug-alcohol-deaths

According to the above, alcohol kills about 88,000 a year (2015). Other than tobacco, all other drugs result in fewer deaths. So alcohol comparisons are not "ridiculous".

Online corbe

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 12:47:12 am »
   First, they came for the drug dealers, I didn't care because I no longer dealt drugs, Then they came for the #Nevers and I realized I was the only one left on their $hit list.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 12:51:56 am »
I know that punishing drug dealers is the topic here, but I feel more importantly, in fact I feel it critical that we need to get those addicted some help. Drug use/addiction has risen dramatically and we now have an epidemic.  What we've done in the past as far as drug abuse hasn't worked. Cost is one of the main factors of addiction; many addicts don't have health insurance making it virtually impossible for them to go through any sort of rehabilitation program as the cost of successful rehabilitation programs is astronomical.  Portugal has had some success:

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/portugal-heroin-decriminalization/

@libertybele I agree with you!  Now, to make things REALLY exciting, this is why we need nationalized healthcare ;).
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 12:53:54 am »
   First, they came for the drug dealers, I didn't care because I no longer dealt drugs, Then they came for the #Nevers and I realized I was the only one left on their $hit list.

@corbe I'm sure you'll always be first on SOMEONE'S $hitlist  888heartkitty
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online corbe

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 12:57:51 am »
    No doubt, especially around here, but I love this place, regardless @LauraTXNM
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 02:01:52 am »
Drug dealers... would that include bartenders and starbucks baristas? They dispense recreational drugs to the masses don't they?

Yes, yes... I am sure that is where this is going.

They are the same as anyone distributing tons of meth.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 02:04:17 am »
https://www.vox.com/2014/5/19/5727712/drug-alcohol-deaths

According to the above, alcohol kills about 88,000 a year (2015). Other than tobacco, all other drugs result in fewer deaths. So alcohol comparisons are not "ridiculous".

We tried prohibition, we could try it again. One could write their congressman.

DWI deaths have come way down.

Online DB

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 02:04:41 am »
    No doubt, especially around here, but I love this place, regardless @LauraTXNM

You'll have to work a whole lot harder if you want to be on my shit list...

Offline Fantom

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 02:11:37 am »

There is that. Everyone who has ever been born, has died.

The thing is, decriminalize the user. We do not put rape victims in jail... usually... maybe the Clintons do.

But I digress, for drugs... really addictive ones, cocaine, meth, opiods... yes... take out the networks providing them. Including the death penalty.. promptly administered. Otherwise legalize the lessor ones.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online DB

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 02:12:17 am »

Prohibition gave us the first "drug lords"... Hell no.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 02:31:19 am »
Prohibition gave us the first "drug lords"... Hell no.

Prohibition gave us the Kennedy's... which gave us a turd world invasion.

Frederick Douglass

Online libertybele

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 03:03:52 am »
@libertybele I agree with you!  Now, to make things REALLY exciting, this is why we need nationalized healthcare ;).

Well, if we take the example of Portugal, (and I first heard of their success on the Glenn Beck program), from my understanding those that are 'busted' or arrested with drugs and are under the influence are given a choice.  They can either elect to be incarcerated and do their time or they can go through a government funded detox and rehabilitation program.  Our government funds our state and federal prisons and in essence what I am stating is rather than using the funds to incarcerate people and then putting them back on the streets, use those funds to detox and rehabilitate.

The other issue are those that are addicted to prescription drugs. They usually have some sort of health insurance and can be treated through their physicians, and/or treatment centers. 

So, I don't consider nationalized healthcare as the answer.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2018, 03:07:55 am »
Well, if we take the example of Portugal, (and I first heard of their success on the Glenn Beck program), from my understanding those that are 'busted' or arrested with drugs and are under the influence are given a choice.  They can either elect to be incarcerated and do their time or they can go through a government funded detox and rehabilitation program.  Our government funds our state and federal prisons and in essence what I am stating is rather than using the funds to incarcerate people and then putting them back on the streets, use those funds to detox and rehabilitate.

The other issue are those that are addicted to prescription drugs. They usually have some sort of health insurance and can be treated through their physicians, and/or treatment centers. 

So, I don't consider nationalized healthcare as the answer.

The issue I've seen here, re incarceration vs drug court/treatment, is that we need to allocate a LOT more money for rehab facilities and beds and longer treatment programs. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 03:17:53 am »
Name something Trump has taken an absolute stand on in the last 30 years...

Chasing tail.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 03:35:08 am »
Weird wrote:
"Trump is sounding like Duerte..."

That's fine with me.
I -like- the idea.
Sorry if that offends you. Or anyone else.
I couldn't care less.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 04:19:18 am »
Weird wrote:

That's fine with me.
I -like- the idea.
I couldn't care less.

By that reckoning, sorry if you are offended that we would liken such thinking and cheerleading to fanatics saluting despots from the 30's.

I also can care less if that offends.

Isn't it great?  A board that allows everyone to be offended equally!
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online DB

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 04:46:57 am »
Weird wrote:

That's fine with me.
I -like- the idea.
I couldn't care less.

You'll really like it when they skip the due process part like Duerte has... Sucks to be you if the locals don't like you...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 04:56:53 am »
The issue I've seen here, re incarceration vs drug court/treatment, is that we need to allocate a LOT more money for rehab facilities and beds and longer treatment programs.
We already have a lot more money for rehab. Anybody in the nation,, is eligible for health insurance, regardless of ability to pay, per Obamacare.

There are recruiters that will pick addicts up at parks, take them to insurance sign up brokers. The coverage they get entitles them to first class treatment, as one of the Essential Healthcare Benefits

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/what-marketplace-plans-cover/

This includes detox, hospitalization, sober living, daily treatment including "one-on-one," "group," drug testing, trips to the gym, trips to the beach, trips to AA and/or NA meetings.

There are many, many already availing themselves of trips to California, Florida, etc. for fun times.

There is a shortage of serious willingness, not of money or programs.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 04:57:57 am »
Drug dealers... would that include bartenders and starbucks baristas? They dispense recreational drugs to the masses don't they?
It should definitely include star*ucks baristas, anyone that pushes that crap on another human being deserves to die!

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 05:03:53 am »
We already have a lot more money for rehab. Anybody in the nation,, is eligible for health insurance, regardless of ability to pay, per Obamacare.

There are recruiters that will pick addicts up at parks, take them to insurance sign up brokers. The coverage they get entitles them to first class treatment, as one of the Essential Healthcare Benefits

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/what-marketplace-plans-cover/

This includes detox, hospitalization, sober living, daily treatment including "one-on-one," "group," drug testing, trips to the gym, trips to the beach, trips to AA and/or NA meetings.

There are many, many already availing themselves of trips to California, Florida, etc. for fun times.

There is a shortage of serious willingness, not of money or programs.

The link is to the plans offered through the marketplace -- you do have to pay, even if you get the subsidy.  In some states I don't think there are any companies operating in the market any more.  And the help offered under Medicaid is pretty minimal. 

I'm curious to see, if the President's plan to deal with opioids will include a lot of money for facilities and beds.  I know people in Ohio, for example, have to wait at least six months for a placement. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2018, 05:21:07 am »
The link is to the plans offered through the marketplace -- you do have to pay, even if you get the subsidy.  In some states I don't think there are any companies operating in the market any more.  And the help offered under Medicaid is pretty minimal. 

I'm curious to see, if the President's plan to deal with opioids will include a lot of money for facilities and beds.  I know people in Ohio, for example, have to wait at least six months for a placement.
There was an extensive article in the OC Register, within the last year, stating the facts as I state them. I go to 2-3 AA meetings per week, and there are typically  vanloads of new people, from all across the land. They come in Mercedes Benz vans. The treatment business is vey lucrative. I can drive you to their facilities. All this in OC.

Newport Beach and Costa Mesa spent $ millions to keep sober living homes out, to no avail.

Most residents are livid, not prone to getting lectures from liberals that insult them, for not wanting criminals and addicts, in their otherwise pristine neighborhoods.

I am speaking about Obamacare as implemented in California- "Covered California," not in Ohio. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2018, 05:40:17 am »
There was an extensive article in the OC Register, within the last year, stating the facts as I state them. I go to 2-3 AA meetings per week, and there are typically  vanloads of new people, from all across the land. They come in Mercedes Benz vans. The treatment business is vey lucrative. I can drive you to their facilities. All this in OC.

Newport Beach and Costa Mesa spent $ millions to keep sober living homes out, to no avail.

Most residents are livid, not prone to getting lectures from liberals that insult them, for not wanting criminals and addicts, in their otherwise pristine neighborhoods.

I am speaking about Obamacare as implemented in California- "Covered California," not in Ohio.

Yikes, what a mess!  I looked into some treatment homes for my younger sister a couple of years ago.  She has Writer's Guild insurance but couldn't afford any of the longer programs.  Go figure.

Ugh, if this is the article you mentioned, it's very thorough!   https://www.ocregister.com/2017/05/21/how-some-southern-california-drug-rehab-centers-exploit-addiction/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:45:25 am by LauraTXNM »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 06:36:40 am »
I know that punishing drug dealers is the topic here, but I feel more importantly, in fact I feel it critical that we need to get those addicted some help. Drug use/addiction has risen dramatically and we now have an epidemic.  What we've done in the past as far as drug abuse hasn't worked. Cost is one of the main factors of addiction; many addicts don't have health insurance making it virtually impossible for them to go through any sort of rehabilitation program as the cost of successful rehabilitation programs is astronomical.  Portugal has had some success:

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/portugal-heroin-decriminalization/
There is no single solution to the problem, but so long as the drugs are available, the users will find a way to get them, if that means stripping the sluminum siding off your house and selling it for scrap. I know a guy who worked in Singapore, where the dealers are summarily executed. They seem to be having far fewer problems there than we have here, where in virtually any town in the US you can get meth, heroin, etc.

The problem goes far beyond the simple dealing/use of these drugs, but well into everything from armed robbery to turf battles (drive-by shootings) to petit and grand larceny to fund the addicts and the stolen goods and human trafficking rings that pick up those goods.

The question is one of where the weak link is in that chain, what choke point would bring the works grinding to a halt,. and without being able to control the importation or manufacture of the drugs, the dealers are the link which could most likely be broken, if the will is there to make dealing so serious a crime that it is effectively deterred.

Otherwise, play pattycake with the problem by focusing on the users rather than the supply, and you are fighting a battle by going hand to hand with each individual soldier instead of cutting off the supplies that keep the war going and the transport/distribution networks that make the problem possible.

That said, a fair trial, observe the Constitution, get a conviction following due process, and eliminate the critical link in the supply chain once and for all. Not only will there be much lower rates of repeat offenders, others might be deterred from taking up that particular vocation.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 07:19:53 am »
Singapore is a police state.

Prohibition doesn't work unless you are willing to live in a police state.

I believe the problem starts with the user. If our culture can't raise children with the tools to avoid becoming drug addicts our culture is doomed in terms of liberty and self determination.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 01:34:06 pm »
DB wrote:
"Singapore is a police state.
Prohibition doesn't work unless you are willing to live in a police state.
I believe the problem starts with the user. If our culture can't raise children with the tools to avoid becoming drug addicts our culture is doomed in terms of liberty and self determination."

So.. you are willing to accept the death of the culture, all out of the fear that heavy-handed tactics against those who deal death in the form of drugs will lead to a police state?

One of "the tools" of which you speak above is to remove the dealers who provide access to the drugs. And to "remove" them with "extreme moral prejudice", so to speak.

I'll take "the police state" tactics over cultural death, thank you very much. I really mean that.

Smokin' Joe struck a good balance above.
1. Give 'em their "due process", then...
2. ... Get 'em OUT OF here!