Author Topic: Trump: Steel tariffs go away if 'fair' NAFTA is reached  (Read 2534 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Trump: Steel tariffs go away if 'fair' NAFTA is reached
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 10:57:08 pm »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 11:01:22 pm »
Did someone say 'Flaming'?

@Hoodat

Flaming squirrel.

Not your drinking buddies.

:police:
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 11:03:01 pm »
Pink Floyd, "Flaming"

! No longer available

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline endicom

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 11:15:25 pm »
Mexico imports over seven times more steel from the US than it imports from China.  But if Trump gets these tariffs passed, then you can bet that China's share of the Mexican market will increase substantially.

He doesn't want to increase our tariffs but for others to reduce theirs.

And let's not forget that the US auto industry has the same access to Chinese steel that the Mexican auto industry has.

The Mexican auto industry is mostly the US auto industry.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 11:16:58 pm »
You just eat them.

No point of wasting good food, is there?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2018, 11:44:58 pm »
He doesn't want to increase our tariffs but for others to reduce theirs.

Mexico doesn't impose a tariff on US Steel.  How does Trump propose they reduce it?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2018, 12:07:35 am »
I don't remember who it was, but someone here made the suggestion that Trump was threatening tariffs to help renegotiate NAFTA.

Might have been me.  It's the first thought I had when I heard of it, and what I told my Canadian friend who was freaking out over it.  I also said that you can never trust what he says; he's always playing some game. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:08:43 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2018, 01:19:46 am »
Trump: Steel tariffs go away if 'fair' NAFTA is reached
by Katelyn Caralle | Mar 5, 2018, 7:36 AM

President Trump said Monday morning the steel and aluminum import tariffs he announced Thursday would be removed if the North American Free Trade Agreement was renegotiated to be “fair.”

“We have large trade deficits with Mexico and Canada. NAFTA, which is under renegotiation right now, has been a bad deal for U.S.A. Massive relocation of companies & jobs. Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum will only come off if new & fair NAFTA agreement is signed," Trump said on Twitter.

“Also, Canada must treat our farmers much better. Highly restrictive. Mexico must do much more on stopping drugs from pouring into the U.S. They have not done what needs to be done. Millions of people addicted and dying,” he said.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-steel-tariffs-go-away-if-fair-nafta-is-reached/article/2650671

Hmmm.  This sounds logical.  Why is it so wrong?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2018, 01:21:24 am »
Yes...it's called extortion.

But isn't it MAGA extortion?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2018, 01:22:44 am »
We already have the best NAFTA deal we could have.  Yet no one is focusing on the actual specifics of that agreement, but instead are focusing on the trade imbalance as if NAFTA is supposed to fix that.  It isn't.

We buy more from Mexico because we have more money, and because we want what they sell.  They buy less from us because they can't afford it, and they don't want what we sell.  That is economic reality.  Yet here comes government again picking losers to 'help', while punishing winners - with zero consideration for the Invisible Hand.

Personally, I like Mexican peppers, tomatoes, and coffee.  They are of higher quality than their US counterparts, and they cost less.  And I want to continue to purchase those products tariff-free because it serves my utility best.  It is a free exchange between Mexican farmers and myself, with additional commerce to truckers and import/export warehousing.  Yet here comes government hellbent on ruining that for me, farmers, truckers, and warehouse workers alike, all because they are economic imbeciles who don't understand that those trade deficit dollars in up right back here in the US in the form of capital investment.

I feel your pain but I don't think our policies should depend on your liking for Mexican peppers.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2018, 01:24:05 am »
I feel your pain but I don't think our policies should depend on your liking for Mexican peppers.

No.  It should operate on the principle of government not sticking its nose into our lives and pointing a gun at us if we want to get the best deal for our money.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 01:25:51 am »
No.  It should operate on the principle of government not sticking its nose into our lives and pointing a gun at us if we want to get the best deal for our money.

Like something other than crappy Whirlpool washing machines?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2018, 01:27:11 am »

I think you're over-reacting.  Government already sticks its nose into our lives... the worst part of that is the IRS.

I think Trump is trying to improve the economy for both consumers and business.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2018, 01:30:42 am »
Hmmm.  This sounds logical.  Why is it so wrong?

No, it sounds emotional.

Logic would be when you point out an actual flaw or a point of unfairness that currently exists in the NAFTA bill.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2018, 01:32:17 am »

Of course not.  Our policies should depend solely upon economic envy.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2018, 01:33:32 am »

By placing a new tax on the products I purchase, leaving me with less purchasing power and a lower standard of living.  Where is the logic in that?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fantom

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2018, 01:36:15 am »
The US must do much more on stopping drug money from pouring into Mexico.

Yes, because the addict is at fault.... nice.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2018, 01:38:01 am »
By placing a new tax on the products I purchase, leaving me with less purchasing power and a lower standard of living.  Where is the logic in that?

I am sure that extra penny on your next six pack will lower your standard of living....  :silly: :silly:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2018, 01:39:19 am »
Yes, because the addict is at fault.... nice.

So it's Mexico's fault that addicts buy drugs?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fantom

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2018, 01:40:09 am »
I think you're over-reacting.  Government already sticks its nose into our lives... the worst part of that is the IRS.

888high58888  And doing magnificently so. If this Simple Bricklayer can agree.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2018, 01:40:12 am »
No, it sounds emotional.

Logic would be when you point out an actual flaw or a point of unfairness that currently exists in the NAFTA bill.

Well, I don't know of an actual flaw or point of unfairness in the current NAFTA bill but apparently Trump does.

How about you?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2018, 01:40:35 am »
I am sure that extra penny on your next six pack will lower your standard of living....

I see that economics is not your strong suit.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2018, 01:43:13 am »
I see that economics is not your strong suit.

I'm not seeing a lot of economic genius around here, but this is what Trump said about NAFTA:

"We have large trade deficits with Mexico and Canada. NAFTA, which is under renegotiation right now, has been a bad deal for U.S.A. Massive relocation of companies & jobs. Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum will only come off if new & fair NAFTA agreement is signed."

Apparently, he thinks it could use some improvement.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2018, 01:43:21 am »
Well, I don't know of an actual flaw or point of unfairness in the current NAFTA bill but apparently Trump does.

And that flaw is what?  I have heard Trump bitching about NAFTA just like every other Democrat for the last ten years, but I have yet to hear him explain exactly what is wrong with it.

How about you?

I think NAFTA is great.  Our exports to Mexico have increased fivefold since it was enacted.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Fantom

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2018, 01:43:29 am »
So it's Mexico's fault that addicts buy drugs?

It is the drug dealers fault. If that is mexico, or they aid it, then yes.

Have you ever been addicted to a drug?  I have, free will is what starts it, after that... you have no free will. Don't be dense and blame the rape victim..... no matter how short the skirt she wore.

Frederick Douglass