Author Topic: Trump: Steel tariffs go away if 'fair' NAFTA is reached  (Read 2554 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump: Steel tariffs go away if 'fair' NAFTA is reached
« on: March 05, 2018, 02:41:48 pm »
Trump: Steel tariffs go away if 'fair' NAFTA is reached
by Katelyn Caralle | Mar 5, 2018, 7:36 AM

President Trump said Monday morning the steel and aluminum import tariffs he announced Thursday would be removed if the North American Free Trade Agreement was renegotiated to be “fair.”

“We have large trade deficits with Mexico and Canada. NAFTA, which is under renegotiation right now, has been a bad deal for U.S.A. Massive relocation of companies & jobs. Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum will only come off if new & fair NAFTA agreement is signed," Trump said on Twitter.

“Also, Canada must treat our farmers much better. Highly restrictive. Mexico must do much more on stopping drugs from pouring into the U.S. They have not done what needs to be done. Millions of people addicted and dying,” he said.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-steel-tariffs-go-away-if-fair-nafta-is-reached/article/2650671
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

Re: Trump: Steel tariffs go away if 'fair' NAFTA is reached
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 02:47:32 pm »

He's forcing to the fore those issues that would otherwise not be addressed.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 02:58:22 pm »
Trump: Mexico must do much more on stopping drugs from pouring into the U.S.

The US must do much more on stopping drug money from pouring into Mexico.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:18:23 pm »
Is he threatening tariffs to get a better NAFTA deal?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 03:19:42 pm »
Trump Softens Tariff Threat in Monday Morning Tweets
Posted at 9:30 am on March 5, 2018 by Susan Wright

He really can’t figure out what he’s doing, but I suspect somebody has spent the weekend in his ear, giving him the rundown on why tariffs are a terrible, no-good idea.

In his Monday morning tweeting, President Trump seems to be making adjustments to his nation-wrecking notion that tariffs are a good thing.

Weekend reports were that the announcement of the tariffs would come at the end of this week, and that not even allies would be spared.

Today, it’s conditional, depending on NAFTA.   ...
More at RedState
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 03:23:12 pm »

David M. Drucker
‏Verified account @DavidMDrucker
19m19 minutes ago

.@club4growth opposes Trump tariffs. Relevant part of statement: “We urge the Trump Administration not to impose tariffs that could threaten to undo the historical economic growth the tax cuts and the President's deregulatory agenda have unleashed.”
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 03:24:15 pm »

See here @mystery-ak  ... I posted this this morning from the President:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,306625.0.html

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 03:34:57 pm »

Who knows?  It can be for any reason at any given moment.  Don't take my word for it.  Listen to the laugh out loud reasoning given by the Commerce Secretary yesterday on Meet The Press.

“Whatever his final decision is, is what will happen,” Ross said on NBC's “Meet The Press.” “What he has said he has said; if he says something different, it'll be something different.”

Video of this mess at source.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/commerce-sec-ross-no-reason-think-trump-will-reverse-tariff-n853021
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:00:25 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 03:48:32 pm »

We already have the best NAFTA deal we could have.  Yet no one is focusing on the actual specifics of that agreement, but instead are focusing on the trade imbalance as if NAFTA is supposed to fix that.  It isn't.

We buy more from Mexico because we have more money, and because we want what they sell.  They buy less from us because they can't afford it, and they don't want what we sell.  That is economic reality.  Yet here comes government again picking losers to 'help', while punishing winners - with zero consideration for the Invisible Hand.

Personally, I like Mexican peppers, tomatoes, and coffee.  They are of higher quality than their US counterparts, and they cost less.  And I want to continue to purchase those products tariff-free because it serves my utility best.  It is a free exchange between Mexican farmers and myself, with additional commerce to truckers and import/export warehousing.  Yet here comes government hellbent on ruining that for me, farmers, truckers, and warehouse workers alike, all because they are economic imbeciles who don't understand that those trade deficit dollars in up right back here in the US in the form of capital investment.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 03:57:14 pm »

Yes...it's called extortion.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 04:08:58 pm »
Mexico runs a trade deficit with steel.  The US is Mexico's largest steel importer at 1 million metric tons annually.  And Trump wants to put a tariff on steel imports from Mexico?  Seriously?

There's 1 million tons of US steel exports you can kiss goodbye.  It always blows my mind how economic liberals (even the ones here) choose to ignore human nature and never expect people to retaliate against government-forced economic pricing.  They magically believe that our trade deficit with Mexico (as if that is actually a bad thing) will get erased when we put import duties on Mexican products while they miraculously continue to purchase ours duty-free.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 04:20:27 pm »
Mexico runs a trade deficit with steel.  The US is Mexico's largest steel importer at 1 million metric tons annually.  And Trump wants to put a tariff on steel imports from Mexico?  Seriously?

There's 1 million tons of US steel exports you can kiss goodbye.  It always blows my mind how economic liberals (even the ones here) choose to ignore human nature and never expect people to retaliate against government-forced economic pricing.  They magically believe that our trade deficit with Mexico (as if that is actually a bad thing) will get erased when we put import duties on Mexican products while they miraculously continue to purchase ours duty-free.

But, but.....da Charles Payne troof bawm........ *****rollingeyes*****

Offline endicom

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 09:42:16 pm »

"The Mexican auto industry imports around 90% of the steel it uses."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinese-steel-imports-cause-industry-rift-in-mexico-1436468945

And those autos come mostly to the US. That's one way that NAFTA is used to dump on the US, products like steel from countries like China. And that has the Mexican steel industry up in arms.

Edit: For Chinese exporters of steel and other industrial inputs, Mexico has become a natural opportunity because of its proximity to the United States, says Myers, and the fact that Mexico’s transportation networks and industrial supply chains are closely integrated into those of the U.S. and Canada, the other members of NAFTA. “In a way, China is a part of NAFTA because China contributes a lot to the goods that wind up” in the United States and Canada, says Myers.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/naftas-uninvited-guest-why-chinas-path-to-u-s-manufacturing-runs-through-mexico/

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:51:31 pm by endicom »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 10:18:24 pm »
The US must do much more on stopping drug money from pouring into Mexico.
It could do one thing to stop it from pouring into there and elsewhere---end the goddam War on Drugs once and for all and legalise the damn stuff.

But it won't.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 10:23:47 pm »
Yes...it's called extortion.
@txradioguy

He doesn't know what he is saying from one hour to the next.  One cannot believe what he says today as tomorrow will be different.  Extorting Mexico is today and he will use the steel/and or/aluminum tariffs for clubs on other countries.  At this rate, this country will be in shambles three years from now.  He is already a laughing stock in other countries, however, they will begin to see, if they haven't already, how dangerous he is - a loose cannon to destroy this and other countries.  He is also destroying the Republican Party.  It will be nothing by the time he is through.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 10:32:49 pm »
I don't remember who it was, but someone here made the suggestion that Trump was threatening tariffs to help renegotiate NAFTA.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 10:34:35 pm »
I don't remember who it was, but someone here made the suggestion that Trump was threatening tariffs to help renegotiate NAFTA.

If you agree with that, it was me. If you disagree with that, it was someone else.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 10:35:36 pm »

@RoosGirl
It was me.   It's ok you can worship me
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 10:37:09 pm »

"The Mexican auto industry imports around 90% of the steel it uses."

And those autos come mostly to the US. That's one way that NAFTA is used to dump on the US, products like steel from countries like China. And that has the Mexican steel industry up in arms.

Edit: For Chinese exporters of steel and other industrial inputs, Mexico has become a natural opportunity because of its proximity to the United States, says Myers, and the fact that Mexico’s transportation networks and industrial supply chains are closely integrated into those of the U.S. and Canada, the other members of NAFTA. “In a way, China is a part of NAFTA because China contributes a lot to the goods that wind up” in the United States and Canada, says Myers.

Mexico imports over seven times more steel from the US than it imports from China.  But if Trump gets these tariffs passed, then you can bet that China's share of the Mexican market will increase substantially.

And let's not forget that the US auto industry has the same access to Chinese steel that the Mexican auto industry has.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 10:39:02 pm »

Wonderful!  Let's take a treaty with zero tariffs and renegotiate it into a treaty that has tariffs.  That way, everyone's standard of living goes down as they pay new government taxes on everything they buy.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 10:39:03 pm »
@RoosGirl
It was me.   It's ok you can worship me

LOL  I don't worship flaming squirrels.  Best I can do for you is say that maybe you were right.

Offline edpc

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 10:44:30 pm »
LOL  I don't worship flaming squirrels.

Well, if one had a sciuridae deity, that would probably be the right one.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 10:49:46 pm »
I don't worship flaming squirrels. 

You just eat them.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 10:50:06 pm »
LOL  I don't worship flaming squirrels.  Best I can do for you is say that maybe you were right.

@RoosGirl

Flaming squirrels are underrated
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 10:56:35 pm »
Did someone say 'Flaming'?