Author Topic: Delta CEO says, 'Our values are not for sale,' after Georgia lawmakers drop tax break  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/delta-ceo-our-values-are-not-for-sale.html

Delta CEO says, "Our values are not for sale, "after Georgia lawmakers drop tax break 

Delta Air Lines last week waded into a raging debate over gun control in the wake of the shooting massacre at a Florida high school only to have the measure backfire in its home state. Now it is reviewing discounts for other "politically divisive" groups.

"Our objective in removing any implied affiliation with the NRA was to remove Delta from this debate," CEO Ed Bastian told employees in a memo, which was titled "Delta and the school safety debate."

It did the opposite.

Georgia lawmakers dropped a jet-fuel tax break that Delta wanted from a tax bill they passed on Thursday, punishing the airline after it said it would end discounts for National Rifle Association members attending the gun-rights group's annual meeting in Dallas. United Airlines followed Delta's action with their own.

Thirteen people booked tickets with Delta's NRA discount, Delta spokesman Trebor Banstetter told CNBC.

"While Delta's intent was to remain neutral, some elected officials in Georgia tied our decision to a pending jet fuel tax exemption, threatening to eliminate it unless we reversed course," Bastian said. "Our decision was not made for economic gain and our values are not for sale."

Delta now wants to review what perks it offers to other groups.

more at link

Delta's values should be, and are for sale in a free market.  They should be worried about their jobs and providing a profitable service to their customers.  That is what their shareholders expect.  This has cost the company millions and somebody deserves to be fired.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Delta has a problem with guns? OK then, I'll fly Delta again when they agree to disarm their pilots and refuse to let air marshals ride in the cabin.

Or maybe, not.

"Our values", my ass. This is about craven fear and political correctness masquerading as nobility.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline endicom

Delta CEO says, "Our values are not for sale...

Your planes may be if you keep drinking the stupidaid.

Offline Fantom

My values are not for sale either..well at least not cheaply.

So I will avoid Delta at every chance I have a choice.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Delta loses $40 million Georgia tax break after ending NRA discount that benefited … 13 passengers

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/03/02/delta-loses-40-million-georgia-tax-break-ending-nra-discount-benefited-13-passengers/

That’s some mighty expensive virtue-signaling.

And it is virtue-signaling, of course. Delta insists absurdly that it’s not taking a side in the great gun-control debate by rescinding the NRA group discount, just exiting the debate entirely. But rescission is, of course, taking a side insofar as it deviates from the company’s status quo. At a minimum, they’re broadcasting that they find the NRA sufficiently unsavory at this point not to continue to grant the organization a perk that other interest groups enjoy.

It’s impossible under the circumstances to read that as anything but a rebuke to gun owners more broadly. If they had rescinded the NRA discount months ago over, say, the group’s weird culture-war ads, that would be one thing. But to do it after the Parkland shooting, in a political context in which student spokesmen are pushing for aggressive gun regulations while accusing the NRA and the Republicans to whom it donates of killing children is, emphatically, taking a side in the broader debate.

Maybe it’s in the company’s financial interest to do so. But they’ll be starting in a hole.

“While Delta’s intent was to remain neutral, some elected officials in Georgia tied our decision to a pending jet fuel tax exemption, threatening to eliminate it unless we reversed course,” Delta CEO Ed Bastian said in a Friday memo to employees obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Our decision was not made for economic gain and our values are not for sale. We are in the process of a review to end group discounts for any group of a politically divisive nature.”

A Delta spokesman said only 13 tickets were sold under the group travel discount for the National Rifle Association.
more at link

Offline Fantom

Delta loses $40 million Georgia tax break after ending NRA discount that benefited … 13 passengers

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/03/02/delta-loses-40-million-georgia-tax-break-ending-nra-discount-benefited-13-passengers/

That’s some mighty expensive virtue-signaling.

And it is virtue-signaling, of course. Delta insists absurdly that it’s not taking a side in the great gun-control debate by rescinding the NRA group discount, just exiting the debate entirely. But rescission is, of course, taking a side insofar as it deviates from the company’s status quo. At a minimum, they’re broadcasting that they find the NRA sufficiently unsavory at this point not to continue to grant the organization a perk that other interest groups enjoy.

It’s impossible under the circumstances to read that as anything but a rebuke to gun owners more broadly. If they had rescinded the NRA discount months ago over, say, the group’s weird culture-war ads, that would be one thing. But to do it after the Parkland shooting, in a political context in which student spokesmen are pushing for aggressive gun regulations while accusing the NRA and the Republicans to whom it donates of killing children is, emphatically, taking a side in the broader debate.

Maybe it’s in the company’s financial interest to do so. But they’ll be starting in a hole.

“While Delta’s intent was to remain neutral, some elected officials in Georgia tied our decision to a pending jet fuel tax exemption, threatening to eliminate it unless we reversed course,” Delta CEO Ed Bastian said in a Friday memo to employees obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Our decision was not made for economic gain and our values are not for sale. We are in the process of a review to end group discounts for any group of a politically divisive nature.”

A Delta spokesman said only 13 tickets were sold under the group travel discount for the National Rifle Association.
more at link

:amen: We certainly alighn 100% on this .  888high58888
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Concerned

Delta's revenues last year were $41B with $3.6B in net income.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/dal/financials
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Fantom

Delta's revenues last year were $41B with $3.6B in net income.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/dal/financials

Airlines have been doing quite well since oil prices collapsed. Not sure how that vectors into this discussion however.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Concerned

Airlines have been doing quite well since oil prices collapsed. Not sure how that vectors into this discussion however.

My apologies for being unclear.  The $40M in tax savings Delta just lost represents 0.1% of their 2017 revenue and 1.1% of their net income.  It's impact will be relatively minor.  Their stock dropped $0.090 today, down 0.17%, to $53.26.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Delta stu's were the best lays back in the 80's.  What the hell happened to my airline.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Fantom

My apologies for being unclear.  The $40M in tax savings Delta just lost represents 0.1% of their 2017 revenue and 1.1% of their net income.  It's impact will be relatively minor.  Their stock dropped $0.090 today, down 0.17%, to $53.26.

Oh, right, so we should do nothing?

I get what you are saying, but it did cost them no? And more than I could by not buying a ticket. Every blow counts... some more than others. I appreciate that the R's Conservatives in Georgia landed this one.

Frederick Douglass

Offline andy58-in-nh

Delta stu's were the best lays back in the 80's.  What the hell happened to my airline.
Remember their old slogan? "Delta is ready when you are."
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Delta sucks now.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline WingNot

Offline Concerned

Oh, right, so we should do nothing?

I get what you are saying, but it did cost them no? And more than I could by not buying a ticket. Every blow counts... some more than others. I appreciate that the R's Conservatives in Georgia landed this one.

It’ll be interesting to see if Delta’s decision results in a net increase or decrease of customers and profits.  There are 5.5M NRA members but apparently only 13 NRA discounts were issued by Delta.  On the other hand, Delta had 186M passengers in 2017.  I’m sure some NRA members (and their supporters) will protest just as I’m sure some gun control advocates will now applaud Delta with their business.  My guess is this decision will have minimal impact on Delta’s financials one way or the other.  JMO.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-delta-nra-gun-debate-20180302-story.html

Offline Fantom

It’ll be interesting to see if Delta’s decision results in a net increase or decrease of customers and profits.  There are 5.5M NRA members but apparently only 13 NRA discounts were issued by Delta.  On the other hand, Delta had 186M passengers in 2017.  I’m sure some NRA members (and their supporters) will protest just as I’m sure some gun control advocates will now applaud Delta with their business.  My guess is this decision will have minimal impact on Delta’s financials one way or the other.  JMO.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-delta-nra-gun-debate-20180302-story.html

Possibly the NRA members got a better discount via AARP or their credit card.  I am sure conservatives... if they would actually engage in the tactics of the regressive left... would have quite an impact. However it seems to be to much to ask conservatives to do so ..... for the most part.

Likely you will be correct. Still, I like those who do stand... and strike what blow they can.

Frederick Douglass

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
If it wasn't a big deal then the CEO wouldn't have made a statement.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I do not know how you can say 'It's impact will be relatively minor'.

We have no way of knowing as yet how many passengers will choose other airlines when presented with viable alternatives.

You are basically saying that few have enough principles to factor in when making these decisions.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Concerned

I do not know how you can say 'It's impact will be relatively minor'.

We have no way of knowing as yet how many passengers will choose other airlines when presented with viable alternatives.

You are basically saying that few have enough principles to factor in when making these decisions.

You're absolutely correct relative to the impact of passengers choosing or not choosing Delta.  I have no way of "knowing".  In the post you quoted though, I was talking about the impact of losing the $40M tax cut.  Losing that is indeed "relatively minor" on Delta's financials (at least IMO).  I addressed the potential impact on passengers in the below post (with a little more data supporting my opinion):

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 02:14:36 pm by Concerned »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Hey Delta......

Crowing about PC values and not bowing to pro-America factions sure worked out for the NFL didn't it?  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

I don't care what Delta does.    I fly Southwest whenever possible.  Better airfares, free baggage check (up to 2 bags) and great customer service.  Who needs Delta?  I sure don't.

Offline cato potatoe

I'm surprised United has not chimed in yet.  Their customer service model only works on the disarmed.

Offline WingNot

I'm surprised United has not chimed in yet.  Their customer service model only works on the disarmed.

Their discounts are given or taken in a different vein.

Offline jpsb

I wonder what the Delta share holders think about all this. I'm guessing they would prefer Delta
not get involved in political wars.

Offline Suppressed

I don't care what Delta does.    I fly Southwest whenever possible.  Better airfares, free baggage check (up to 2 bags) and great customer service.  Who needs Delta?  I sure don't.

:thumbsup:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn