Author Topic: President Trump's New Record: The Longest Time Without a Formal Press Conference in Half a Century  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Suppressed

President Trump's New Record: The Longest Time Without a Formal Press Conference in Half a Century
SCOTT BIXBY
02.15.18 9:37 PM ET
https://www.thedailybeast.com/president-trumps-new-record-the-longest-time-without-a-formal-press-conference-in-half-a-century

A little more than three weeks after his inauguration, Donald Trump gave his first-ever press conference as president.

Over the course of 77 dizzying minutes, Trump told journalists hastily corralled into the East Room that Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election was “fake news,” asked an African-American reporter whether she was friends with the Congressional Black Congress, and declared that members of the media who printed leaks from within his own White House should be “ashamed of themselves.”

One year later, that circus-like exchange remains Trump’s first, last, and only formal press conference—the longest period of time without a solo press conference held by an American president in at least half a century.

According to records stretching back to the Coolidge administration and compiled by the American Presidency Project, Trump has gone longer without conducting a formal solo press conference than any president since at least Lyndon Johnson. By the end of his first year in office, President Barack Obama had held 11 solo press conferences; President George W. Bush had held five.

[...]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:36:03 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What a stupid article.  The President speaks with the press, taking their questions, regularly prior to before boarding Marine One.

I've posted the videos from these press availabilities often.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
What a stupid article.  The President speaks with the press, taking their questions, regularly prior to before boarding Marine One.

It isn't the same thing as a sustained exchange, though, is it ;( ? 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

With the way the press treats him I don't blame him.   Especially knowing his speaking style and likelihood of going off topic.    It'd be like throwing fresh meat to the tigers.

They talk to Sarah almost every day and she speaks for him.  This is just another effort to paint him in a negative light.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
What, does the media think they have a right to a public venue to berate the guy?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I think 20 minutes of press availability on a regular basis is pretty damn good @LauraTXNM .  But not everyone can be satisfied, can they?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Let's be honest here, while the press is downright abusive towards the president, press conferences aren't exactly Trump's strong point. I remember the one this time last year was a disaster.

Offline skeeter

Why should he subject himself to a 'sustained exchange' with the degenerate media, who are obviously consumed with the idea that we erred in not selecting their preferred candidate and care only about proving it?

&%$ them.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Why should he subject himself to a 'sustained exchange' with the degenerate media, who are obviously consumed with the idea that we erred in not selecting their preferred candidate and care only about proving it?

&%$ them.

It's as close as we have to a UK or Canadian "Question Time", and I think it's valuable.  Sorry, but I think it makes him cowardly.  YMMV.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline skeeter

It's as close as we have to a UK or Canadian "Question Time", and I think it's valuable.  Sorry, but I think it makes him cowardly.  YMMV.

Of course some would find gratification in an adversarial press shouting abuse at the president. But edifying would be the last thing it would be.

I think he's wise to avoid it.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Meh.  I wouldn’t talk to them either, unless it was absolutely necessary.  They usually get a daily briefing, anyway. The events of Wednesday created an exception.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:06:34 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline endicom

Another nothingbooger flicked in Trump's general direction.

What is the purpose of a press conference? Is that purpose served in but one way?

Offline dfwgator

Why does he need the press when he can go directly to the people via Twitter?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It probably is best if he doesn't have press conferences. He does better when he keeps his yap shut.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The content of the press conference is a known quantity, anyway. Multiple events will be referred to as the biggest in history. Someone or something will be called beautiful.  People will be described as amazing and wonderful. Members of the press will be called fake news.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online corbe

I agree with most here, it'd be better NOW that he stay away from the predatory press for the foreseeable future, with all the extra-marital affairs coming to light, they would beat the $hit out of him.   Another self-inflicted wound.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Without  Press Conference's we don't  need to fumigate the Press Room for Cockaroaches and other vermin every month.  Trump is saving American Tax Payers a lot of money by not holding PC's.   

Smart.  Very smart.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

I'd rather have fewer press conferences than those constant press slobberfests we all had to endure during 8 years of Obama.  Usually, Jug Ears would come on around lunch time -- spoiled my appetite and he delayed the local news.  And that hideous yellow curtain -- I hope Mrs. Trump got rid of that thing.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

But we are NOT the UK or Canada. Remember, we saved the UK's chestnuts twice in the last century.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GrouchoTex

Truth be told, we all gave Obama a hard time for this same thing.
Yes, the media collectively are idiots, but how you handle them is also something that it  fair to judge our Presidents by, all of them.

See Reagan/Sam Donaldson for examples.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Yep, it's a stupid article.  Given the nasty attitude of the press at Sarah Sanders pressers, I wouldn't bother with them either.

As for Obama's many press conferences, wasn't he always wired up or with a teleprompter?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

It is smart, not cowardly.  What could anybody possibly gain by this circus? He communicates daily in his own way and he appears on TV with various statements as in his short talk about the Florida shootings yesterday.

How smart is it to step into a minefield.??

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I'd rather have fewer press conferences than those constant press slobberfests we all had to endure during 8 years of Obama.  Usually, Jug Ears would come on around lunch time -- spoiled my appetite and he delayed the local news.  And that hideous yellow curtain -- I hope Mrs. Trump got rid of that thing.

Yep!  That's why I don't have you on ignore.  Sometimes you say something really smart and funny.

Offline Suppressed

@LauraTXNM
Just a couple of weeks ago, a Canadian friend asked me about the equivalent to "Question Time" and where she could watch it, when I told her that she might not be getting a totally fair view of President Trump.  It left me a bit chagrined.

It's true, that's not the best forum for him.  But I do wish there was access like in the UK and Canada...especially with all the harumphing!   :laugh:

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@LauraTXNM
Just a couple of weeks ago, a Canadian friend asked me about the equivalent to "Question Time" and where she could watch it, when I told her that she might not be getting a totally fair view of President Trump.  It left me a bit chagrined.

It's true, that's not the best forum for him.  But I do wish there was access like in the UK and Canada...especially with all the harumphing!   :laugh:

The last thing we want or need here is Canada's evil oozing over us like maple syrup.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.