Author Topic: Southern Baptist Minister: Christianity has died in the hands of evangelicals  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I don't care for his anti-Trumpish patina, but there's a lot of food for thought in this professor's take on the bad name some folks are giving to Christianity.   

Southern Baptist Minister:  Christianity has died in the hands of evangelicals

Evangelicalism ceased being a religious faith tradition following Jesus’ teachings concerning justice for the betterment of humanity when it made a Faustian bargain for the sake of political influence,” De La Torre writes. “The beauty of the gospel message — of love, of peace and of fraternity — has been murdered by the ambitions of Trumpish flimflammers who have sold their souls for expediency.” 

De La Tore’s piece even tied modern-day evangelism to the resurgence of white supremacy in American culture, saying that evangelicals have “constructed an exclusive interpretation which fuses and confuses white supremacy with salvation” that hides the gospel of Jesus behind “their fear of blacks, their fear of the undocumented, their fear of Muslims, their fear of everything queer.”

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:42:06 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
 "gospel message — of love, of peace and of fraternity"

That's not the Gospel message.

That whole White Supremacy argument is merely molding the message into a current political narrative. It is not rooted in truth but in propaganda. He could have just as easily blamed Evangelicals for Global Warming and Obesity. He also implies that African Americans can't be Evangelicals which is typical liberal soft-racism.

He is using the term "Evangelicals" to mean "conservative Republicans".
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. Leave it to the sites resident Leftist to post some blog piece from Miguel De La Torre, a social justice warrior and Commie nutjob, as some sort of relevant commentary on religion. This guy is a radical bomb thrower, open borders creep and LGBT lover.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
What a load of hogwash.

Hey @Jazzhead   only a complete fool or person with an anti-Christian agenda would say Trump is an evangelical.   

BTW this guy is a Professor, not a Baptist Minister.   So the title is a lie.

A race and gender studies professor BTW

Here he is speaking at a Unitarian church -
https://youtu.be/-X--tlLkaVs
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
LOL. Leave it to the sites resident Leftist to post some blog piece from Miguel De La Torre, a social justice warrior and Commie nutjob, as some sort of relevant commentary on religion. This guy is a radical bomb thrower, open borders creep and LGBT lover.

It is just the kinda guy Jazz would bring home to his Mother.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Southern Baptists are by definition Evangelists in my book as a few other denominations as well, on that I could be wrong. So, it's an interesting use of words here.

De la Torre, the man who made these statements, has a Hispanic type of name.  Ted Cruz's last name is obviously Hispanic. It's interesting that Cruz could not basically win anywhere in the nation's Bible belt except his homestate and neighboring Oklahoma but had some strong patches in the Rocky Mountain West and Midwest.

I thought Colorado also went for Cruz, not sure why it is gray here.

And all that said, Cruz was suppose to be the one to get the "Evangelical" vote.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:50:04 pm by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
An article from "Deadstate"?   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Insulting the messenger is intellectual laziness.   

Offline TomSea

I guess, the original article per the link, was in some Christian website.

A Southern Baptist is a Southern Baptist in my book.

Offline driftdiver

@Jazzhead
The laziness exists in the article and belief that it represents a substantive viewpoint.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Perfect! Some puke leftist lecturing Christians about politicizing Christianity as he politicizes Christianity. Nothing like a nice cup of sniveling, elitist, puke neo-Marxist lefty hypocrisy disguised as Christianity in the morning.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

Origiinal article, FWIW:

https://baptistnews.com/article/death-christianity-u-s/#.WoWtabiYFVK

I agree in this instance with JH, not even addressing the article does not seem to be rising to the debate.

Now, maybe this baptistnews.com is the liberal party to begin with, hence, they are whom I'd criticize. I don't appreciate JH's view of seeming to go after, at least, the Fundamentalist Evangelical types but this is the point of contention in the article actually.

And it's just one story, an editorial out of many, what's the big deal?

Hispanics go to exclusive Baptist churches themselves.  I think this De La Torre's view is overblown and probably self-absorbed, that is legitimate criticism.

Offline driftdiver

Perfect! Some puke leftist lecturing Christians about politicizing Christianity as he politicizes Christianity. Nothing like a nice cup of sniveling, elitist, puke neo-Marxist lefty hypocrisy disguised as Christianity in the morning.

@Free Vulcan  :beer: :beer:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Origiinal article, FWIW:

https://baptistnews.com/article/death-christianity-u-s/#.WoWtabiYFVK

Thanks, TomSea, for linking the original article.

You might wonder if my condemnation is too harsh. It is not, for the Spirit of the Lord has convicted me to shout from the mountaintop how God’s precious children are being devoured by the hatred and bigotry of those who have positioned themselves as the voice of God in America.

As a young man, I walked down the sawdust aisle at a Southern Baptist church and gave my heart to Jesus. Besides offering my broken heart, I also gave my mind to understanding God, and my arm to procuring God’s call for justice. I have always considered myself to be an evangelical, but I can no longer allow my name to be tarnished by that political party masquerading as Christian. Like many women and men of good will who still struggle to believe, but not in the evangelical political agenda, I too no longer want or wish to be associated with an ideology responsible for tearing humanity apart. But if you, dear reader, still cling to a hate-mongering ideology, may I humbly suggest you get saved.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 07:02:36 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Frank Cannon

Ok then can we quote Hitler when we discuss public works projects and Ted Bundy for VW beetle repair since they have a legit point of view on those topics?

Offline roamer_1

I don't care for his anti-Trumpish patina, but there's a lot of food for thought in this professor's take on the bad name some folks are giving to Christianity.   

Southern Baptist Minister:  Christianity has died in the hands of evangelicals

Infantile pap. SJW bullshit wrapped in the robes of religion...
**YAWN**

Ping me when you can make your argument from Scripture (which you cannot).

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It appears that not one poster has addressed the article itself.   The fear the article may contain the germ of truth is palpable.   

Offline roamer_1

It appears that not one poster has addressed the article itself.   The fear the article may contain the germ of truth is palpable.

No, the article is notably false on it's face, and loaded with liberal and SJW speech and talking points.
Like I said. Make your argument from Scripture (which you cannot)...

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Infantile pap. SJW bullshit wrapped in the robes of religion...
**YAWN**

Ping me when you can make your argument from Scripture (which you cannot).

Evangelical leaders supported a bigoted child molester just to maintain a GOP majority in the Senate.   That may be justifiable from the standpoint of hardball politics, but these purport to be men of God.  They should be ashamed of themselves, if they weren't shameless.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Evangelical leaders supported a bigoted child molester just to maintain a GOP majority in the Senate.   That may be justifiable from the standpoint of hardball politics, but these purport to be men of God.  They should be ashamed of themselves, if they weren't shameless.   

Wow.....that's it?

You are weakening the author's point with that rejoinder.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
No, the article is notably false on it's face, and loaded with liberal and SJW speech and talking points.
Like I said. Make your argument from Scripture (which you cannot)...

How is it false on its face?  Have not Evangelical leaders vigorously supported bigots and misogynists just to advance their political agendas?   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Wow.....that's it?

You are weakening the author's point with that rejoinder.

Well, then ignore my rejoinder.  What is your opinion of the author's argument?   

Offline roamer_1

Who are you speaking of?

Offline roamer_1

How is it false on its face?  Have not Evangelical leaders vigorously supported bigots and misogynists just to advance their political agendas?   

No, and as a matter of fact, historically, Republicans caught lying about their character are doomed, and won't be re-elected, and in fact, often have to step down. Far, far more often than not... Because of Christians.

So yeah. Bullshit.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
No, and as a matter of fact, historically, Republicans caught lying about their character are doomed, and won't be re-elected, and in fact, often have to step down. Far, far more often than not... Because of Christians.

Because of folks of good conscience generally.  Note that my comments, and the author's, have been directed at Evangelical leaders, who pimp their religious faith to advance bigoted political agendas by supporting candidates of low moral character.   

I don't disagree with you in the slightest that many Christians of REAL faith ignore such "leaders" and demand their elected representative be of good character and reject bigotry.