Author Topic: New Gun Policies Won’t Stop Mass Shootings, but People Can  (Read 488 times)

Offline mountaineer

New Gun Policies Won’t Stop Mass Shootings, but People Can
National Review
David French
Feb. 15, 2018
EXCERPTED
The United States is facing a puzzling paradox. Even as gun crime has plunged precipitously from the terrible highs of the early 1990s, mass shootings have increased. Consider this: 15 of the 20 worst mass shootings in U.S. history have occurred since the Columbine school shooting in 1999. The five worst have all occurred since 2007, and three of those five were in 2016 and 2017. It’s horrifying, and governmental solutions are hard to find.

Twitter’s fondest wishes to the contrary, the unique characteristics of mass shootings mean that they often escape the reach of public policy. The Washington Post’s Glenn Kessler (hardly an NRA apologist) famously fact-checked Marco Rubio’s assertion that new gun laws wouldn’t have prevented any recent mass shootings and declared it true. Time and again, existing laws failed, or no proposed new gun-control law would have prevented the purchase.  ...

But that doesn’t mean there’s nothing we can do. When policies fail, people can and should rise to the occasion. Looking at the deadliest mass shootings since Columbine, we see that the warning signs were there, time and again. People could have made a difference.  ...

I can’t assume it won’t happen in my school or in my town. Rather than tweet impotently, I’ve armed myself to protect my family and my neighbors; in my past role as a member of a school board, I’ve worked to better secure my kids’ school; and I’ve vowed that if — God forbid — I ever see evidence or warning signs of the darkness of a killer’s heart, I’ll have the courage to seek the intervention that can save lives. That’s not public policy. It’s personal responsibility. It’s also the best way to confine the contagion that’s killing our kids.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/456436/new-gun-laws-wont-stop-mass-shootings-people-can

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: New Gun Policies Won’t Stop Mass Shootings, but People Can
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 03:19:54 pm »
People were there in this case and reported him to the FBI.  He made postings on youtube that he was going to be a profession school shooter.

The real question is what did the FBI do?   What did local law enforcement do?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 03:21:40 pm »
I believe the FBI, local LE and the school district failed miserably.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 03:31:01 pm »

Dan Bongino
‏Verified account @dbongino
12h12 hours ago

The Secret Service did an exhaustive and revealing study on targeted school violence. As a former agent, and a parent, I can’t recommend this report highly enough. School administrators should make this mandatory reading ->  Threat Assessment in Schools: A Guide to Managing Threatening Situations and to Creating Safe School Climates.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 03:40:12 pm »
The Gun Control argument is based on the premise "We can't stop school shootings from happening but we can prevent people who don't shoot up schools from legally defending themselves with a gun. We can make it harder for people to get a gun just like we made it harder for people to get Marijuana and Heroin. But the government can't prevent people from getting a gun, just like they can't prevent people from driving illegally. "

The only way to prevent school shootings is to make the shooter think it can't be done.  Most likely, the shooter found the locations of the armed people and went to another site away from them. A school shooter knows he has a target rich environment with little chance of preventing the shooting. Schools are created in a way that they are ideal for shooters.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:48:18 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 04:34:50 pm »
Good post, @mountaineer.

Online Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 06:15:08 pm »
The Gun Control argument is based on the premise "We can't stop school shootings from happening but we can prevent people who don't shoot up schools from legally defending themselves with a gun. We can make it harder for people to get a gun just like we made it harder for people to get Marijuana and Heroin. But the government can't prevent people from getting a gun, just like they can't prevent people from driving illegally. "

The only way to prevent school shootings is to make the shooter think it can't be done.  Most likely, the shooter found the locations of the armed people and went to another site away from them. A school shooter knows he has a target rich environment with little chance of preventing the shooting. Schools are created in a way that they are ideal for shooters.

The rejoinder is just as simple: no guns, no shootings.  If we do not get more creative in coming up with creative solutions that are effective, that is what will happen. 

Turning schools into the Wild West, with everyone armed to the teeth is not a solution.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »
The rejoinder is just as simple: no guns, no shootings.  If we do not get more creative in coming up with creative solutions that are effective, that is what will happen. 

Turning schools into the Wild West, with everyone armed to the teeth is not a solution.

Sure.  Just make guns illegal.  Look how well it's worked for crack, heroin and bank robberies.

I love lawyers.  They think everybody respects the law.   :silly:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 06:27:00 pm »
Here's how you stop a shooting before it happens

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/02/15/grandmother-stops-school-shooting/
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 06:32:12 pm »

You completely missed the point. There will always be guns. There are guns in countries where they are banned. You can't stop mass shootings by banning guns because you can't get rid of guns anymore than we got rid of Heroin by making it illegal.
If guns were the problem, the states with highest rates of gun ownership would have the most mass shootings, which would be Wyoming, Montana, Alaska and South Dakota. 
Countdown to Resignation

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 06:40:33 pm »

No guns, no shooting? True, but where there is no access to guns the deaths of the innocent are planned using a butcher knife or machete as happens in Asia or Africa, or by using a heavy vehicle in a crowded Middle Eastern market place.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 10:40:56 pm »
When someone shows up at a school with a gun trying to kill people is NOT the time to worry about why he got there or how he got the gun! It's the time to stop him from doing what he is intent on doing by whatever means are necessary at that precise moment!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 10:52:33 pm »
People were there in this case and reported him to the FBI.  He made postings on youtube that he was going to be a profession school shooter.

The real question is what did the FBI do?   

The FBI has been busy working 24/7 to exonerate Hillary Clinton and frame Trump for what the Democrat Party itself was doing.

They didn't have time to deal with an insignificant nut job who dreamed of being the next school mass murderer.

Besides, doing nothing ensured that when his timer did go off - the antigun crowd would take the agenda to the next level.

And so they have.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 04:43:58 am »

Just like with the Pulse Nightclub shooter, I don't think they actually could do anything.  This guy's threats -- was there some reason he couldn't be prosecuted?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.