Author Topic: Trump decries lack of ‘due process’ for men accused of sexual harassment, abuse  (Read 2193 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: WASHINGTON POST

URL: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-decries-lack-of-due-process-for-men-accused-of-sexual-harassment-abuse/2018/02/10/fb6f7e08-0e89-11e8-95a5-c396801049ef_story.html?utm_term=.bd0095fdcdc5

by  Anne Gearan and Katie Zezima

President Trump on Saturday appeared to side with men accused of domestic abuse or sexual misconduct, following a week of turmoil surrounding allegations of spousal abuse against two male aides that brought the national #MeToo movement inside the White House.

In a tweet, Trump questioned whether “due process” is being given to those accused of wrongdoing and expressed sympathy for their damaged careers and sullied reputations.

“Peoples lives are being shattered and destroyed by a mere allegation,” Trump tweeted Saturday morning. “Some are true and some are false. Some are old and some are new. There is no recovery for someone falsely accused — life and career are gone. Is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?”

The brief message, which made no mention of the accusers, marks the president’s most pointed response to the ongoing national reckoning with sexual harassment and abuse and put him seemingly at odds with a movement that in recent months has led to the downfall of several powerful men accused of abhorrent behavior.

Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.), a leader in the effort to combat sexual harassment in Congress, said her stomach turned when she saw Trump’s tweet Saturday morning.

“The new mantra is ‘We believe the women,’ and he is frozen in ‘I believe the men,’ ” Speier said in an interview. “He’s beyond rehabilitation in my view.”

White House spokesmen did not respond to a request for comment about which cases Trump was referring to and whether he also thinks that the lives of accusers can be shattered and destroyed.

But Saturday’s tweet follows spousal abuse allegations against two Trump aides that roiled the White House over the past week. Both men left their posts despite denying the claims by ex-wives of physical and emotional abuse.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com (Above link) ...

Online Right_in_Virginia

“Peoples lives are being shattered and destroyed by a mere allegation,” Trump tweeted Saturday morning. “Some are true and some are false. Some are old and some are new. There is no recovery for someone falsely accused — life and career are gone. Is there no such thing any longer as Due Process?”

Weren't we on this very forum saying this not too long ago and asking what happened to due process?

Good for the President.

Offline Concerned

As I posted on the other thread about this subject:

I’m quite sure that if Porter could have possibly gotten a full security clearance, he’d have it. After all, this is the President of the United States we are talking about here.  Employers do investigations all the time and take action as a result of those investigations without judicial “due process”.  In the case of Porter, I’d argue “due process” actually did take place in the form of the FBI background investigation which (no doubt) confirmed the police reports, the protector order, the photo, and the blog.  The fact that a former girlfriend also called Don McGahn, when she heard Porter was dating Hope Hicks, to warn him of Porter’s behavior is further “evidence”. 

This all was certainly enough “due process” IMO for an employer to take action, or in this case, to encourage the employee to resign especially once it’s clear he just not going to get that full security clearance.  They actually did him a favor allowing him to resign rather than having on his resume:  yes, I’ve been denied a security clearance.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Weren't we on this very forum saying this not too long ago and asking what happened to due process?

Good for the President.

Hot Diggety Damn!

Can't help it. I keep liking this guy more and more.

And he's got Jackie Speier waving her 'in a twist' panties in the air?

Icing on the cake.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:41:35 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
What a laugh.  The man who now insists on due process still thinks the Central Park 5 are guilty, despite being cleared by DNA.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline SirLinksALot

In a related topic -- Is Judge Roy Moore finally going to get his due process?

Offline edpc

Looks that way.  Just a matter of where......

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/02/roy_moore_wants_accusers_lawsu.html

Offline bilo

Good for the President.

Yes we were, as well as arguing this point with friends and neighbors about the Roy Moore allegations.

Expecting everyone to have due process doesn't mean we think it's okay to do something wrong.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Yes we were, as well as arguing this point with friends and neighbors about the Roy Moore allegations.

Expecting everyone to have due process doesn't mean we think it's okay to do something wrong.

Due Process is the difference between a Nation of Laws and a Nation of Men. (Cult of Personality)
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
it is funny that the one time he brings this up, it is when one of his staffers is accused AND there are photos of the bruised up ex he beat up. (ie, not exactly a he said/she said case).

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:31:23 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Due process and the Pound metoo movement are mutually exclusive.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Good for the President.

Totally agree on this one, RIV.  A man's fate should not hang on the unsubstantiated accusation of one woman.

Not saying it shouldn't be investigated but it shouldn't be accepted as fact without said investigtion.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Or, what about Loretta Lynn's husband?  Didn't he snatch her off when she was like 14 or something.

Offline WingNot

Or, what about Loretta Lynn's husband?  Didn't he snatch her off when she was like 14 or something.

Phrasing Please.   "snatch" and 14 y/o should never ever be used in the same sentence!

Offline edpc

it is funny that the one time he brings this up, it is when one of his staffers is accused AND there are photos of the bruised up ex he beat up. (ie, not exactly a he said/she said case).

It's a complete misunderstanding.  She said, "There is something wrong with my eye - can you take a look?"  He said, "Sure, I'll give it a shot."

Offline WingNot

Is there a police report.  Hospital report.   She could have slipped and fell.  Hit her head on a table top.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:46:20 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

It's a complete misunderstanding.  She said, "There is something wrong with my eye - can you take a look?"  He said, "Sure, I'll give it a shot."

Haha.  Funny guys.

The truth of the matter is that for a long time women felt helpless when they were victims of spousal abuse and there was a time when people thought a husband could kinda do what he wanted with his wife.

That was horrible and the pendulum has now swung.

As usual, it may have swung a little too far.  In a 'he said, she said' case, let's investigate and not have knee jerk reactions.

Offline edpc

Haha.  Funny guys.

That's OK - one of Potter's ex-wives had her own interesting choice of words this weekend.

On Friday, a friend and I watched as the President of the United States sat in the Oval Office and praised the work of my ex-husband, Rob Porter, and wished him future success. I can’t say I was surprised. But when Donald Trump repeated twice that Rob declared his innocence, I was floored.

http://time.com/5143589/rob-porter-ex-wife-trump-domestic-violence/

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

That's OK - one of Potter's ex-wives had her own interesting choice of words this weekend.

On Friday, a friend and I watched as the President of the United States sat in the Oval Office and praised the work of my ex-husband, Rob Porter, and wished him future success. I can’t say I was surprised. But when Donald Trump repeated twice that Rob declared his innocence, I was floored.

Well, bless her heart.

http://time.com/5143589/rob-porter-ex-wife-trump-domestic-violence/

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Hey, she picked the guy.  She stayed with him after several instances of abuse. 

Maybe she oughta shut up now.  She got the guy fired.

As for Trump, he's been the target of so many false accusations, it's kinda natural that he would side with an accused person... at least until the charges are provenn.

Offline ABX

Is there a police report.  Hospital report.   She could have slipped and fell.  Hit her head on a table top.

According to what I've read, there were multiple police reports as well as a court protective order against Porter.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/02/rob-porters-history-of-domestic-abuse-wasnt-a-secret.html

Offline WingNot

According to what I've read, there were multiple police reports as well as a court protective order against Porter.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/02/rob-porters-history-of-domestic-abuse-wasnt-a-secret.html

If all that is true.  Why isn't he in jail?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Wingnut
As I understand it the event(s) occurred around 13 years ago. Think there was a divorce happening that triggered the charges.

It only came back up as part of the background investigation.   His ex didn't raise it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline ABX

Power and money. They can get you a good attorney that can get you off of almost anything.

We had a former DA here in town arrested for drunk driving (repeat offender many times over) and was found with several bags of cocaine on him. He made a deal through the good old boy network w/ the current DA and walked with just a 2 month probation and clean record after that.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:27:17 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline edpc

Power and money. They can get you a good attorney that can get you off of almost anything.

We had a former DA here in town arrested for drunk driving (repeat offender many times over) and was found with several bags of cocaine on him. He made a deal through the good old boy network w/ the current DA and walked with just a 2 month probation and clean record after that.

Depending on the state, it can also come down to whether the spouse actually presses charges.  Filing a police report isn't the same thing.  Some may remember how Warren Moon went to court, even though his wife didn't want charges pressed.  Their state law was changed due to women withdrawing charges and getting abused all over again.