Author Topic: Analysis: Government Set To Borrow Nearly $1 Trillion This Year, An 84 Percent Jump From Last Year  (Read 484 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
It was another crazy news week, so it's understandable if you missed a small but important announcement from the Treasury Department: The federal government is on track to borrow nearly $1 trillion this fiscal year — President Donald Trump's first full year in charge of the budget.

That's almost double what the government borrowed in fiscal year 2017.

Here are the exact figures: The U.S. Treasury expects to borrow $955 billion this fiscal year, according to a documents released Wednesday. It's the highest amount of borrowing in six years, and a big jump from the $519 billion the federal government borrowed last year.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-spending-debt-analysis-20180203-story.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Concerned

Treasury mainly attributed the increase to the "fiscal outlook." The Congressional Budget Office was more blunt. In a report this week, the CBO said tax receipts are going to be lower because of the new tax law.

<snip>

Trump's Treasury forecasts borrowing over $1 trillion in 2019 and over $1.1 trillion in 2020.

So much for the tax cuts boosting the economy.  Can we really afford huge infrastructure and defense spending without taking a huge ax to other programs (e.g., eliminating entire department like Education and Energy and fixing entitlements)?
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline libertybele

Chicago Tribune?  Thanks.  I think I'll pass.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Chicago Tribune?  Thanks.  I think I'll pass.

Yeah - you can always expect those liberal rags to distort reported numbers from the Treasury.  We all know $955B is not really $1T.     *****rollingeyes*****
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.