Author Topic: Analysis: Government Set To Borrow Nearly $1 Trillion This Year, An 84 Percent Jump From Last Year  (Read 485 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
It was another crazy news week, so it's understandable if you missed a small but important announcement from the Treasury Department: The federal government is on track to borrow nearly $1 trillion this fiscal year — President Donald Trump's first full year in charge of the budget.

That's almost double what the government borrowed in fiscal year 2017.

Here are the exact figures: The U.S. Treasury expects to borrow $955 billion this fiscal year, according to a documents released Wednesday. It's the highest amount of borrowing in six years, and a big jump from the $519 billion the federal government borrowed last year.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-spending-debt-analysis-20180203-story.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Concerned

Treasury mainly attributed the increase to the "fiscal outlook." The Congressional Budget Office was more blunt. In a report this week, the CBO said tax receipts are going to be lower because of the new tax law.

<snip>

Trump's Treasury forecasts borrowing over $1 trillion in 2019 and over $1.1 trillion in 2020.

So much for the tax cuts boosting the economy.  Can we really afford huge infrastructure and defense spending without taking a huge ax to other programs (e.g., eliminating entire department like Education and Energy and fixing entitlements)?
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Chicago Tribune?  Thanks.  I think I'll pass.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Chicago Tribune?  Thanks.  I think I'll pass.

Yeah - you can always expect those liberal rags to distort reported numbers from the Treasury.  We all know $955B is not really $1T.     *****rollingeyes*****
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.