Author Topic: With $2.4 million haul, Beto O'Rourke easily outraised Texas Sen. Ted Cruz to close out 2017  (Read 1591 times)

Offline libertybele

Not good. 

With $2.4 million haul, Beto O'Rourke easily outraised Texas Sen. Ted Cruz to close out 2017

U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-El Paso, easily outraised U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz over the last three months in his campaign to unseat the Texas Republican, raking in over $2.4 million to Cruz's $1.9 million.

Yet Cruz maintains a big cash-on-hand advantage, closing out 2017 with $7.3 million in the bank, his campaign said late Sunday. O'Rourke, who revealed his haul a short time earlier, has $4.6 million to spend, according to his campaign.

Still, O'Rourke's $2.4 million haul shows his fundraising is gaining steam — it's his biggest fundraiser quarter since launching his bid in March. O'Rourke said the figure was accompanied by a spike in the number of individual contributions that his campaign received — from almost 33,000 in the third quarter to over 55,000 during the most recent period, he said in an interview.

"The fact it’s the most we’ve raised and that we are adding tens of thousands of more individual contributions shows that the interest in the campaign is only increasing," O'Rourke said in an interview. "And the fact that most of that is Texans is really, really encouraging."...

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/01/28/24m-haul-orourke-has-biggest-fundraising-quarter-yet/

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I wonder how much is Soros money
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
He has come to our tiny little town about five times in the matter of a couple of months. Many events hosted by little old ladies. He is playing the ground game. Cruz came by once, last week, for a high dollar fundraiser but didn't stay long. Albeit, Cruz has a full time job while Beano's job is just culturally appropriatng his name.

Offline Applewood

Yes, it's all about the money, but in the end what counts are the votes.  I don't know how people will react to any mudslinging and blame O'Rourke might try to inflict upon Cruz.  People know that while most of the rest of the Republicans are lying lazy chiselers, Cruz has kept his promise to truly represent his constituents.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Robert “Beto” O’Rourke.  Typical Texas Irishman. The clown acts like a "Green Bean"  but he hasn't got an ounce of Mexican in him lest he is screwing the maid...or garner.  I spit in his Guinness.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline libertybele

Yes, it's all about the money, but in the end what counts are the votes.  I don't know how people will react to any mudslinging and blame O'Rourke might try to inflict upon Cruz.  People know that while most of the rest of the Republicans are lying lazy chiselers, Cruz has kept his promise to truly represent his constituents.

The concern here is that O'Rourke's money, according to the article, is coming from everyday Joe's, which equals votes.  Secondly, I wouldn't put it past McConnell and all those that have such great 'love' for Ted to take $$ and allocate it O'Rourke's way.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

The concern here is that O'Rourke's money, according to the article, is coming from everyday Joe's, which equals votes. Secondly, I wouldn't put it past McConnell and all those that have such great 'love' for Ted to take $$ and allocate it O'Rourke's way.

You may be right about that.  The Republican hierarchy would rather have a liberal in that seat, and they don't care which party that liberal comes from.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

You may be right about that.  The Republican hierarchy would rather have a liberal in that seat, and they don't care which party that liberal comes from.

This excuse, IMO, is getting old.

Offline jpsb

Trust me, the Texas GOP does not want a liberal in the US Senate.

Offline dfwgator

Fools and their money.

Offline Applewood

I wouldn't call it an excuse, but rather, a suspicion.  The party bigwigs in particular hate conservatives.

Offline Applewood

Trust me, the Texas GOP does not want a liberal in the US Senate.

Maybe not, but the Republican liberals in Washington do.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I wouldn't call it an excuse, but rather, a suspicion.  The party bigwigs in particular hate conservatives.

Cruz has found his niche in the Senate... both he and McConnell seem comfortable with it.

I just don't buy the GOP wants to lose another seat.   :shrug:

Offline dfwgator

Ted's gonna wipe the floor with him.

Offline Frank Cannon

This is a familiar story....

State Sen. Wendy Davis Outraises Greg Abbott in Texas Gov Race

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2014/01/14/state-sen-wendy-davis-outraises-greg-abbott-in-texas-gov-race

Rather than lump sums from a few well-monied donors— a pattern among statewide GOP candidates— Davis attracted a stunning 71,843 individual contributors from  July 1  to December 31, 2013 across her three fundraising committees, according to a campaign release. A huge slice of contributions, some 85 percent, came out to $50 or less.  Signifying widespread support, all 245 Texas counties gave to the Davis race.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

It's not an excuse.   It's the truth.  You've just been blinded by an obnoxious bright orange light.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Cruz has found his niche in the Senate... both he and McConnell seem comfortable with it.

I just don't buy the GOP wants to lose another seat.   :shrug:

Really?  Alabama ring a bell?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

Exactly.  That is why the GOPe/DEM country club didn't lift a finger to help Ted and when they found out that Trump was the nominee, they bad mouthed him instead of showing their support. ... even if it meant Hillary...from where I'm sitting that country club hasn't changed a whole lot, nor do they want change.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:19:28 pm by libertybele »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
One thing people should not do is take voters for granted down here. Many are picky and they will jump ship, especially if someone comes along who plays the Texan card and appears to be more connected to them. It wasn't that long ago Ann Richards was our governor, Lloyd Bensten was our Senator, Molly Ivins was our most famous pundit, and Willie Nelson is still our favorite musician.

I don't think Cruz has an issue yet, but it doesn't mean something can't change if the Dems suddenly get their heads out of their ass and pretend to pander to Texans. (ie act like Ann Richards instead of Wendy Davis).

Offline bolobaby

Team Trump has done a bang-up job besmirching the name of this good man. They should be proud.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Applewood

Team Trump has done a bang-up job besmirching the name of this good man. They should be proud.

Both parties have found that trotting out a few bimbos to hurl unfounded accusations against a candidate the parties don't like works very well.  I would not put it past the Dems and Republicans  acting on concert to besmirch Ted Cruz.  Heck, they can recycle the stories spread around about Cruz in 2016.  There are still a number of Trump supporters who still believe them.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

And, the fact that they have done so tells us what they fear.  Principled constitution-understanding conservatives.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
And, the fact that they have done so tells us what they fear.  Principled constitution-understanding conservatives.

I think Trump has gotten over his 'lyin' Ted' phase.

His followers ... not so much.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Ted's gonna wipe the floor with him.

That.

And another That. 

Phony Beto is thin.  Thin as his old punk rock band.

! No longer available

Beto O'Rourke with Foss - Live El Paso, Texas 1994

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."