Author Topic: Amid Turmoil, Trump Seeking A Reset With State Of The Union  (Read 1804 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Amid Turmoil, Trump Seeking A Reset With State Of The Union
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:32:55 pm »
WASHINGTON (AP) — Beset by poor poll numbers and the grind of the Russia investigation, President Donald Trump will look to reset his term with his first State of the Union address, arguing that his tax cut and economic policies will benefit all Americans.

The theme of his Tuesday night address to Congress and the country is "Building a safe, strong and proud America," and the president is looking to showcase accomplishments of his first year while setting the tone for the second.

Aides say the president plans to set aside his more combative tone for one of compromise, and to make an appeal beyond his base.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amid-turmoil-trump-seeking-reset-state-union-190047994--politics.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Amid Turmoil, Trump Seeking A Reset With State Of The Union
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:09:19 pm »
I’m not certain what they hope to accomplish with a compromising tone.  The centrists and leftists they’re after won’t experience some kind of epiphany.  He’s not gonna pull voters from the left and the move to center may abandon some core support.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:43:26 pm »
Ok, he's going to give himself a pat on the back and on some issues he should, but trying to reach beyond his base will prove interesting as he's destroying some of his base on the stance he just took on DACA.  I of course don't know what he'll say, but I will be listening very carefully to what he now will say about building a wall and amnesty. 

Putting money into a trust fund Mr. President to use at a later date for a proposed wall at a later date is NOT building the wall.  Giving a pathway to citizenship to over a million people is amnesty to which you originally said 'no' is not acceptable.  Everything else to me at this point is irrelevant as these two issues are what you campaigned on, what you promised and what won you the election. We're supposed to now accept some sort of compromise all the while knowing that the DEMS will not fulfill their promise?  No Mr. President, I don't accept amnesty and I want the wall that we were promised today and not some hypothetical time in the future; we've already waited 12 years.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 10:55:40 pm »
I think the only reason that people came out to vote for Trump is because they were tired of compromise.  His whole campaign was about not compromising on key issues like immigration.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 11:01:25 pm »
I think the only reason that people came out to vote for Trump is because they were tired of compromise.  His whole campaign was about not compromising on key issues like immigration.

Exactly.  I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would say that building a wall and no amnesty is not what catapulted his campaign and made people so vigilant in supporting him. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 11:02:36 pm »
Turmoil AP? He is on a roll. He destroyed the Rats with tax cuts and the Schumer Shutdown. He dazzled the world in Davos. His polling isn't anything near as bad as the Left is spinning.

Just like the last SOTU address where the Left spun it that DOnny would choke and he hit it out of the park, this is a bunch of wishful thinking from the DC bubble crowd.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 11:05:28 pm »
Amid Turmoil, Trump Seeking A Reset With State Of The Union

Methinks they're stretching here with just a wee bit of preemptive spin  ....   :laugh:

If memory serves, this is the same group that said the President would be shunned in Davos and attendees would walk out during his speech.

I'm still surprised by the credibility the likes of NBC and Yahoo are given. 

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 11:10:05 pm »

Back in 2013, he met DACA ‘kids’ and sold them a bill of goods, too....

When the meeting ended, Trump rode in the elevator with them to the lobby gift shop. He told them to take what they wanted, helping pick out jewelry, ties and signed copies of his book.

Initially they were optimistic that they had won him over. But last summer when Trump announced his candidacy for president, Pacheco watched as he called many Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists.

She felt fooled. "He's a salesman," she said. "I didn't know that then, but now I see it clearly. We went in there and he sold us what we wanted to hear."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pol-trump-dreamers-20161215-story.html

This has always been my problem with him.  He tells people what he thinks they wants to hear, ends up doing something else, then tries to sell you on how great that reversal was.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:19:51 pm by edpc »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 12:17:59 am »
Exactly.  I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would say that building a wall and no amnesty is not what catapulted his campaign and made people so vigilant in supporting him.

I think if Trump was thinking of compromise he should go back and watch some of the video's of his campaign stops.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 12:25:31 am »
I think if Trump was thinking of compromise he should go back and watch some of the video's of his campaign stops.

They should wonder if it was all a put on, as he basically admitted ‘lock her up’ was after the election.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sIER_T4Rvh8
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:26:13 am by edpc »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 12:54:20 am »
Aides say the president plans to set aside his more combative tone for one of compromise, and to make an appeal beyond his base.

Once again the President is trying to win back my vote by acting responsible.  This appeals to me.

Clearly the GOP can do little with their majorities in Congress.  I think if President Trump wishes to pass legislation he is eventually going to have to work with the rats.  I believe when one side is proposing solution...even unworkable solutions...and the other side offers nothing, moderate voters tend to side with the ones offering solutions.  This could be positioning for 2020.  Or maybe he thinks he is going to have to work with the rats after they take back the Congress after the Nov. elections and he's getting an early start. 

President Nixon said that to win an election you run to your base in the primary, then run to the center during the general election.  President Trump proved that wrong and he solidified his base further in his first year as President but had little legislative success.  Could this be the big pivot many have expected?

President championed a few things during the campaign as I recall
1 Build the Wall
2 Lock up crooked Hillary
3 Drain the swamp
4 Repeal Obamacare.

IMO he has failed on all of these.  Maybe he is not comfortable with the strength of his base support or he figures they have nowhere to go.

Sure.  President Trump said voters were angry about politicians who promised one thing and did another in office, but did he actually say he wasn't going to bend you over too?  I don't recall that and if he did that was over a year ago and voters have short memories.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 01:09:05 am »
Clearly the GOP can do little with their majorities in Congress.

That’s because there are enough establishment members to neutralize any real conservative effort.  One of the aspects of ‘drain the swamp’ was supposedly to address this problem.  Instead, we have a fraud leader about to do a cannonball right into it with a conciliatory tone, massive spending proposals, and betrayal on immigration.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 01:30:59 am »
I’m not certain what they hope to accomplish with a compromising tone.  The centrists and leftists they’re after won’t experience some kind of epiphany.  He’s not gonna pull voters from the left and the move to center may abandon some core support.

Poor Yahoo.  They run a nasty hit piece on Trump every day.

They had a bad day after his speech in Davos.  The only thing they could say was that Trump acted like a grownup but it probably wouldn't last.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 01:34:53 am »
Turmoil AP? He is on a roll. He destroyed the Rats with tax cuts and the Schumer Shutdown. He dazzled the world in Davos. His polling isn't anything near as bad as the Left is spinning.

Just like the last SOTU address where the Left spun it that DOnny would choke and he hit it out of the park, this is a bunch of wishful thinking from the DC bubble crowd.

Amen.  I don't get why so many people seem to have the crazy idea that Trump is on the rocks.

He's not.  He's winning in all quarters and his true poll numbers are probably well over 50%.

There is a little mistrust brewing about what he will do about Immigration but let's wait and see.  He's done okay so far.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 01:36:43 am »

Back in 2013, he met DACA ‘kids’ and sold them a bill of goods, too....

When the meeting ended, Trump rode in the elevator with them to the lobby gift shop. He told them to take what they wanted, helping pick out jewelry, ties and signed copies of his book.

Initially they were optimistic that they had won him over. But last summer when Trump announced his candidacy for president, Pacheco watched as he called many Mexican immigrants criminals and rapists.

She felt fooled. "He's a salesman," she said. "I didn't know that then, but now I see it clearly. We went in there and he sold us what we wanted to hear."

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pol-trump-dreamers-20161215-story.html

This has always been my problem with him.  He tells people what he thinks they wants to hear, ends up doing something else, then tries to sell you on how great that reversal was.

What the heck is wrong with you.

Why don't you drag out something a little further back ... say 1963.  Of course, he was nice to those people ... he wasn't in office and had no way of doing anything for or against them.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 01:38:24 am »

That’s because there are enough establishment members to neutralize any real conservative effort.  One of the aspects of ‘drain the swamp’ was supposedly to address this problem.  Instead, we have a fraud leader about to do a cannonball right into it with a conciliatory tone, massive spending proposals, and betrayal on immigration.

How do you suggest Trump can 'drain the swamp' of squishy Senators?  He can't.  It's up to the electorate.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 01:40:09 am »
What the heck is wrong with everybody.

When Frank Cannon is the only voice of reason on a thread, I begin to wonder.

Offline edpc

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 01:51:01 am »
What the heck is wrong with you.

Why don't you drag out something a little further back ... say 1963.  Of course, he was nice to those people ... he wasn't in office and had no way of doing anything for or against them.

You probably haven’t picked up on the fact I’ve had you on the ‘soft’ ignore since your idiotic comment to me about wishing for an economic crash on another thread a couple weeks back, so consider this the official notice, you crone.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 01:52:05 am »
What the heck is wrong with everybody.

When Frank Cannon is the only voice of reason on a thread, I begin to wonder.

I need a drink.

Offline corbe

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 02:21:06 am »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 02:29:55 am »

You probably haven’t picked up on the fact I’ve had you on the ‘soft’ ignore since your idiotic comment to me about wishing for an economic crash on another thread a couple weeks back, so consider this the official notice, you crone.

Nope!  Not that interested in you so I didn't notice whatever a soft ignore is.

Offline corbe

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 02:41:13 am »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 02:43:09 am »

What the heck does that stupid picture even mean, @corbe?

Offline corbe

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 02:59:12 am »
What the heck does that stupid picture even mean, @corbe?

It means @Emjay that I am a happy camper because I never had high expectations of what a Trump Administration could deliver in one year, 4 or even 8.  I never believed his bombastic campaign rhetoric, ever.  I don't respect the Man but I wouldn't advocate for his Impeachment (unless warranted by US Law).  He is my President, too.

Most avid Trumpers here I have no problem with, they bring a lot of insightful discussion and this place would be really boring without them and the few Nevers here I feel the same about, the other 80% are the icing on the cake.

Offline endicom

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2018, 03:07:32 am »

OMG, that's missing an apostrophe!