Author Topic: Baby boomers hit harder than usual by flu season  (Read 1501 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Baby boomers hit harder than usual by flu season
« on: January 26, 2018, 06:17:18 pm »
Baby boomers hit harder than usual by flu season
by Kimberly Leonard | Jan 26, 2018, 1:02 PM

Baby boomers are being hit particularly hard by this year's flu season, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

During most flu seasons, adults 65 and older tend to be the hardest-hit group. That is still true this year, but the second hardest-hit group is between the ages of 50 and 64. Young children typically are the second-most affected group.

"Baby boomers have higher rates than their grandchildren right now," Dr. Dan Jernigan, director of the influenza division at the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a phone call with reporters.

The reasons are multifaceted, he explained. Typically people develop a resistance to the first strain of flu that they have encountered, and people in the 50-64 age group were exposed to different strains of the flu other than the H1N1 strain circulating now. Another reason is that the vaccine isn't working well, partially because of the way it was developed, by being grown in eggs, but also because one of the strains circulating, H3N2, is constantly changing and tends to be particularly effective at causing disease symptoms.

"The vaccines just don't do that well against H3N2," Jernigan said. The vaccine is estimated to be about 30 percent effective this year.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/baby-boomers-hit-harder-than-usual-by-flu-season/article/2647206
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Baby boomers hit harder than usual by flu season
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 05:58:49 am »
A lot of millenials I know would say "Good Riddance" :P
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline anubias

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 06:23:54 am »
I got a flu shot this year and the flu has been kicking my butt.  I have either had it twice or just a relapse of the first one that I have now had for a month.  I’m in that second group mentioned in the article.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:09:50 am »
A lot of millenials I know would say "Good Riddance" :P

And a couple Gen X'ers too. If I see another 70+ year old smoking a joint I'm gonna blow my brains out.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 12:52:09 pm »
I got a flu shot this year and the flu has been kicking my butt.  I have either had it twice or just a relapse of the first one that I have now had for a month.  I’m in that second group mentioned in the article.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Something has a grip on my MIL and won't let loose.  She is 78.  She gets better, then relapses.  Same for my youngest granchild.  I am a boomer.  I've never had the flue and never had a flue shot, but I know many, many souls who are I'll right now.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 12:59:14 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that.  Something has a grip on my MIL and won't let loose.  She is 78.  She gets better, then relapses.  Same for my youngest granchild.  I am a boomer.  I've never had the flue and never had a flue shot, but I know many, many souls who are I'll right now.

I was watching a news story yesterday that said this flu might appear to get better, then it rapidly worsens.  It's this relapse that can be fatal. I hope someone will keep an eye on your loved ones and if there is a relapse, get them to a hospital ASAP.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 01:28:24 pm »
I was watching a news story yesterday that said this flu might appear to get better, then it rapidly worsens.  It's this relapse that can be fatal. I hope someone will keep an eye on your loved ones and if there is a relapse, get them to a hospital ASAP.

I’ve been reading several articles where people who are not elderly or very young or having underlying health issues, otherwise heathy people and in their teen’s or 20’s or 30’s are dying from the flu or flu related pneumonia and only after a few days after first getting sick.   

This sounds somewhat reminiscent of the start of the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic.

It started out with one wave and then came back with a vengeance.

This is a good documentary on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-WKwqblB0&t=1799s
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 01:50:44 pm »
I’ve been reading several articles where people who are not elderly or very young or having underlying health issues, otherwise heathy people and in their teen’s or 20’s or 30’s are dying from the flu or flu related pneumonia and only after a few days after first getting sick.   

This sounds somewhat reminiscent of the start of the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic.

It started out with one wave and then came back with a vengeance.

This is a good documentary on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-WKwqblB0&t=1799s

Thanks.  My parents often talked about that flu.  They themselves were just babies or not yet born at the time, but their respective parents lost relatives and friends to that epidemic. 

I didn't think we could have such an epidemic today, what with all the antibiotics and other treatments developed since the 1918 flu, but I was wrong.  This strain was more deadly and less responsive to treatment than any I've seen in my lifetime.  Of course, having the wrong vaccine isn't helping.   I suppose we are going to have tougher,  more aggressive strains that won't respond to our current treatments.

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 02:08:14 pm »

Decades back I caught something that was called a flu and that acted in that relapsing way. I was down on Monday, recovering nicely on Tuesday, down on Wednesday, up on Thursday and down of Friday. The physician's assistant said I was about his 50th case of this no-name flu. He told me to fill a prescription and get lots of rest or I would never get rid of it. After that weekend I was fine.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 03:03:09 pm »
Thanks.  My parents often talked about that flu.  They themselves were just babies or not yet born at the time, but their respective parents lost relatives and friends to that epidemic. 

I didn't think we could have such an epidemic today, what with all the antibiotics and other treatments developed since the 1918 flu, but I was wrong.  This strain was more deadly and less responsive to treatment than any I've seen in my lifetime.  Of course, having the wrong vaccine isn't helping.   I suppose we are going to have tougher,  more aggressive strains that won't respond to our current treatments.

My uncle (dad's sisters husband) had an older sister who died from the 1918 flu when she was four.

I've had the flu 3x this winter. And I had a flu shot.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 03:04:19 pm »

My father was born in Norway in 1921. It wasn’t until he was an adult that he learned that he had an older sister who died when she was just a toddler in 1919, presumably from the flu. His mother never spoke of her. It was as if, if she didn’t talk about it, it didn’t happen. My father also didn’t learn until he was in his teens’ that his father, was actually his step father and that his actual father died in an accident only a week before he was born. As I understand, early childhood deaths were common but also so painful that it was often kept a secret or not discussed. After my grandmother died, my father found among her belongings, the one and only picture of his sister and I have it now, she was a beautiful child. ; (

When my mother died, we went to bury her in the family cemetery plot set aside for her, but when the grave was dug, they found the coffin of a young child and after researching the cemetery records it was that of a two-year-old child who died in 1919 named Martha. But no one in my family ever knew of or heard of or anything about this child. My brother tried to research the death records in the Harrisburg PA courthouse from this period but there had been a fire in the court house in the 1930’s and many if not most records from that time period and before were destroyed.

We to this day do not know who Martha was. Was she the illegitimate child of some relative, perhaps my grandfather’s brother who was a bit of a rogue and a gambler and died in his 30’s from alcoholism, or perhaps an illegitimate half-sister as her father also had his similar problems or perhaps the child of some family friend who died during the Spanish influenza epidemic and couldn’t otherwise afford to bury her?

We had my mother buried and then reinterned little Martha over my mother’s grave. I think my mother, knowing how much she loved all children, would have been happy to have this poor little child buried close to her in sort of a loving embrace, no matter who she was.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 03:36:25 pm »
A lot of people I know have been hit by an upper respiratory ailment this winter. That's different from the flu, isn't it?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 03:41:33 pm »

In China, where most of these epidemics seem to originate, I've heard doctors generally are over prescribing antibiotics wholesale. If ever there was a recipe for another lethal worldwide pandemic that would be it.

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 04:20:15 pm »

I got the flu, strain B a couple weeks ago.  Took Tamiflu for 5 days, knocked it back down.  Several days later, it came back strong.  Over the counter stuff to keep it under control.  The cough won't quit.  Doc told me to expect 3~4 weeks.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Applewood

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 06:10:38 pm »
A lot of people I know have been hit by an upper respiratory ailment this winter. That's different from the flu, isn't it?

Yes.  I had it the end of November and it lasted for 3 weeks plus.  The local news had a couple of stories on how to tell the difference between flu and other respiratory ailments.  I didn't go to the doctor because I didn't have a fever.  Supposedly, a fever is a sign of flu and if you don't have a fever, most likely, you have something else. 

But given this year's epidemic, a person with symptoms is probably smart to see a doctor and not self-diagnose as I did.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 06:16:41 pm »
In China, where most of these epidemics seem to originate, I've heard doctors generally are over prescribing antibiotics wholesale. If ever there was a recipe for another lethal worldwide pandemic that would be it.

Doctors in this country used to prescribe antibiotics for everything, but they stopped or at least cut back because the germs over the years became resistant.  I remember as a child always getting a penicillin shot when I had a cold.  Two years ago when I saw a doctor for the sniffles and a cough, he prescribed hot beverages and a bottle of Robitussin DM Max from the store.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 06:27:17 pm »
@Neverdul   I think it was common years ago for families to not mention a young child who died and often the siblings or other relatives never knew or found out years later. 

My mother lost a younger brother.  He was the twin of Mom's younger sister.  My grandfather came to this country first, worked a few years, then the rest of the family followed.  But at Ellis Island, the authorities refused to let my mother's younger brother in.  Turned out he had tuberculosis.  So he was sent back to Italy to live with relatives and died shortly thereafter. 

Mom never mentioned this brother till I was in my 40s.  It came out in conversation about something else and Mom said she had 4 siblings.  I tried to corrected her -- I only knew her 2 sisters and another brother who was born in the US after the family emigrated.  Then she corrected me with the story about her brother who died.

Offline anubias

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 06:28:38 pm »
Yes.  I had it the end of November and it lasted for 3 weeks plus.  The local news had a couple of stories on how to tell the difference between flu and other respiratory ailments.  I didn't go to the doctor because I didn't have a fever.  Supposedly, a fever is a sign of flu and if you don't have a fever, most likely, you have something else. 

But given this year's epidemic, a person with symptoms is probably smart to see a doctor and not self-diagnose as I did.

I have yet to go to the doctor.  Frankly, if I felt well enough to get dressed, drive to the doc, sit in the waiting room with other sick people and get exposed to God knows what, I’m well enough that I don’t need to go.

Mine is respiratory with fever.  The fever comes and goes.  The respiratory sticks.

I am sorely sick and tired of being sick and tired and cannot wait for Spring!

Offline the_doc

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 08:41:26 pm »
@rangerrebew
Maybe the Baby Boomers have been one of the most faithful groups for getting annual flu vaccines.  A recent study has suggested that getting the flu vaccine in a given year actually lowers your immunity for the next year.

Just sayin'.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 08:43:41 pm »
I have yet to go to the doctor.  Frankly, if I felt well enough to get dressed, drive to the doc, sit in the waiting room with other sick people and get exposed to God knows what, I’m well enough that I don’t need to go.

Mine is respiratory with fever.  The fever comes and goes.  The respiratory sticks.

I am sorely sick and tired of being sick and tired and cannot wait for Spring!

If you have a viral infection of the lung, you are likely to have a cough for 4-6 weeks after the virus is gone.  This is known in medicine as the infamous "post-viral cough."

Offline Applewood

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 08:55:54 pm »
@rangerrebew
Maybe the Baby Boomers have been one of the most faithful groups for getting annual flu vaccines.  A recent study has suggested that getting the flu vaccine in a given year actually lowers your immunity for the next year.

Just sayin'.

Well, some of us boomers have heart disease and other chronic illnesses, and our doctors mandate we get the shot every year because our shaky health could make the flu fatal.  But this year's vaccine is said to be almost worthless.  People who got the shot also got this flu.  So what do we do?  Do we ignore the doctors and take our chances?  As the kids would say, this is all so whacked.

Offline anubias

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2018, 08:57:11 pm »
If you have a viral infection of the lung, you are likely to have a cough for 4-6 weeks after the virus is gone.  This is known in medicine as the infamous "post-viral cough."

And the fever, weakness, and general feel like shit?  When does that go away?

Offline the_doc

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2018, 10:25:09 pm »
Well, some of us boomers have heart disease and other chronic illnesses, and our doctors mandate we get the shot every year because our shaky health could make the flu fatal.  But this year's vaccine is said to be almost worthless.  People who got the shot also got this flu.  So what do we do?  Do we ignore the doctors and take our chances?  As the kids would say, this is all so whacked.

I never get the flu shot, and I am around flu victims all the time during flu season.  If I get flu symptoms, I start Tamiflu immediately (within a few hours of onset).  I have had to do this 2 or 3 times over the years. 

I realize that some folks may need to get the vaccine--a bona fide matter of "risks versus benefits, as they say--but I am getting tired of all the vaccine police (who often lie by omission--ostensibly for the public good).  I saw a propaganda video in a doctor's waiting room where they posed the question of the side effects of the flu vaccine.  They completely avoided mentioning that some folks (usually debilitated folks) die from the vaccine itself (e.g. from Guillain-Barre syndrome).   

The fact that they refuse full disclosure is unethical.  Period.

Offline anubias

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 06:03:31 am »
I never get the flu shot, and I am around flu victims all the time during flu season.  If I get flu symptoms, I start Tamiflu immediately (within a few hours of onset).  I have had to do this 2 or 3 times over the years. 

I realize that some folks may need to get the vaccine--a bona fide matter of "risks versus benefits, as they say--but I am getting tired of all the vaccine police (who often lie by omission--ostensibly for the public good).  I saw a propaganda video in a doctor's waiting room where they posed the question of the side effects of the flu vaccine.  They completely avoided mentioning that some folks (usually debilitated folks) die from the vaccine itself (e.g. from Guillain-Barre syndrome).   

The fact that they refuse full disclosure is unethical.  Period.

I’m not anti-vaccine.  I simply wish I’d done my homework before getting it this year.  I’d be 35 dollars richer and just as sick.