Author Topic: From the BS File: The Doomsday Clock just moved: It’s now 2 minutes to ‘midnight,’  (Read 877 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
 :laughingdog: :mauslaff: :bigsilly:

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists advanced the symbolic Doomsday Clock a notch closer to the end of humanity Thursday, moving it ahead by 30 seconds after what the organization called a “grim assessment” of the state of geopolitical affairs.

“As of today,” Bulletin president Rachel Bronson told reporters, “it is two minutes to midnight.”

In moving the clock 30 seconds closer to the hour of the apocalypse, the group cited “the failure of President Trump and other world leaders to deal with looming threats of nuclear war and climate change.”

The organization — whose board includes 15 Nobel Laureates — now believes “the world is not only more dangerous now than it was a year ago; it is as threatening as it has been since World War II,” Bulletin officials Lawrence M. Krauss and Robert Rosner wrote in an op-ed published Thursday by The Washington Post. “In fact, the Doomsday Clock is as close to midnight today as it was in 1953, when Cold War fears perhaps reached their highest levels.”

Krauss, a theoretical physicist, and Rosner, an astrophysicist, added: “To call the world nuclear situation dire is to understate the danger — and its immediacy. North Korea’s nuclear weapons program appeared to make remarkable progress in 2017, increasing risks for itself, other countries in the region and the United States.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2018/01/25/after-a-missile-scare-and-insult-war-with-north-korea-its-time-to-check-the-doomsday-clock/

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

Krauss, a theoretical physicist nutty Lib, and Rosner, an astrophysicist nutty Lib...

There. Fixed it.

Offline libertybele

Doomsday clock?  Pfff...all they need to do is look into their crystal balls.   :silly:

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:33:10 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Doomsday clock?  Pfff...all they need to do is look into their crystal balls.   :silly:

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Oceander

The doomsday clock is a crock, as is the organization. 

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Earthquake warnings in the vicinity of Alfred Nobel's gravesite, due to Alfred spinning in his grave at warp 10 over what's been done with his money, in his name.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

Sidney Sheldon also wrote "I dream of Jeannie"

He ruled. I think.  :beer:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Sidney Sheldon also wrote "I dream of Jeannie"

He ruled. I think.  :beer:

I got into some trouble for reading Bloodline during study time at school.  Apparently, I hadn’t learned my lesson from my previous office visit for reading Helter Skelter.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:28:00 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.