Author Topic: Shutdown Ends: Senate breaks budget impasse, paving way for government to reopen  (Read 1644 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: WASHINGTON POST

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/trump-slams-democrats-as-third-day-of-government-shutdown-begins/2018/01/22/3a3eecf0-ff25-11e7-9d31-d72cf78dbeee_story.html?utm_term=.254ed5ea8157

By Robert Costa, Erica Werner, Ed O'Keefe and Elise Viebeck

Roughly 60 hours after the federal government first shut down, a bipartisan group of negotiators in the Senate reached a breakthrough to reopen the government by uniting Republican and Democratic leaders in an agreement on immigration and spending.

The Senate headed toward overwhelming passage of a short-term spending bill later in the day Monday after voting to end debate by a vote of 81-18. The House was then expected to pass the measure and send it to President Trump for his signature, laying the groundwork for the government to reopen by Monday evening.

The spending bill would fund the government through Feb. 8 and reauthorize the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for six years.

The resolution to the three-day shutdown exposed a growing rift among Democratic senators, several of whom were highly critical of their leaders’ willingness to trust Republicans to bring up immigration legislation next month.

A majority of Democrats had forced the shutdown with demands for a vote on legislation to protect young undocumented immigrants known as “dreamers” from deportation. The final agreement did not include these protections, nor any specific guarantee of a vote.

“So long as the government remains open, it would be my intention to take up legislation here in the Senate that would address DACA, border security and related issues,” McConnell said on the Senate floor Monday morning.

“This immigration debate will have a level playing field at the outset and an amendment process that is fair to all sides,” he said.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST

Offline RetBobbyMI

reauthorization does not equal funding
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Left says Dems caved on shutdown
The Hill, Jan 22, 2018, Rafael Bernal

Progressives are hammering Sen. Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) for his agreement with Senate Republican leadership to end the government shutdown on Monday.

Even House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has spoken out against the deal, saying there was no reason to support it.

“I don’t see that there’s any reason — I’m speaking personally and hearing from my members — to support what was put forth,” Pelosi said at a press briefing shortly before Schumer signaled Senate Democrats would agree to it.

Activists took a harsher tone.  “It’s official: Chuck Schumer is the worst negotiator in Washington – even worse than Trump,” said Murshed Zaheed, political director at Credo, a progressive advocacy group.

More: http://thehill.com/latino/370119-left-says-dems-caved-on-shutdown

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
“This immigration debate will have a level playing field at the outset and an amendment process that is fair to all sides,” he said.

Here We Go Again.

Turtle the equivocating Sell Out.

I do not Want Anything out the Pubbies that is Fair to the Rats.

If I gave the proverbial Fig about what the Rats wanted I would have voted for Them instead.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline SirLinksALot

reauthorization does not equal funding

We'll be going through this all over again come February 8.

BTW, did anyone notice  or feel anything adverse during the shutdown? Me and the people around me did not even feel a thing.

Offline musiclady

BTW, did anyone notice  or feel anything adverse during the shutdown? Me and the people around me did not even feel a thing.

A family member lives overseas and did not expect to be able to pick up his mail today.

But he did.   :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline SirLinksALot

A family member lives overseas and did not expect to be able to pick up his mail today.

But he did.   :shrug:

The Post Office continues its work during any "shutdown".

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline musiclady

The Post Office continues its work during any "shutdown".

It didn't involve the post office.  It was the employees in the mailroom who handle the mail where he is overseas.

(I don't want to give out any further information about the details of that).

We talked to him yesterday, and he didn't expect that staff to be working because they were going to be off during the shutdown.  A minor inconvenience at worst, but someone who actually was affected by it.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Democrats Vote To End Trump Shutdown
Country is Saved by the Democrats
Countdown to Resignation

Offline musiclady

Democrats Vote To End Trump Shutdown
Country is Saved by the Democrats

You know that's what the headlines will be.  **nononono*

Oceander

Congratulations to President Trump and the Congressional Republicans are in order. 

Offline dfwgator

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

@txradioguy lost his avatar for a day.  It was horrible.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Look at all of those sad, evil clowns.  Looks like someone commissioned a Gacy mural.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Blink: Democrats vote to end the government shutdown
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/blink-democrats-vote-to-end-the-government-shutdown/article/2646682

Without even all sitting on the floor together?

The mind boggles.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy lost his avatar for a day.  It was horrible.

I'm going to talk to behavioral health today about it since they will be at work today.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

I'd frame that and put it on a wall....just for that look on Diane's and Patty's face.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I'd frame that and put it on a wall....just for that look on Diane's and Patty's face.    :laugh:

I think the look on Schumer's face is worth saving too ... it's the look of a man just beaten by Jello.   ^-^

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I think the look on Schumer's face is worth saving too ... it's the look of a man just beaten by Jello.   ^-^

I was thinking used car salesman....but I like your description better.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

Not a whole lot gained here really except the DEMS cried 'give' before the GOP and the GOP can blame the DEMS for the shutdown. This re-opens the government till Feb. 8 and we'll be going through this crap again.  To me it seems really that the DEMS won as McConnell agreed to  to hold a debate on a bill to extend protections for recipients of the DACA program. In exchange for what?  No mention of the DEMS agreeing to fund the wall or ending chain migration.  Nothing got resolved and yet the GOP is seeing this as a victory?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

My hairdresser guy was afraid there would be holdups at the airport but my daughter flew to Oahu yesterday and reported no problem.

There are flights every 22 minutes from Maui to Oahu but they still treat commuters like they'd never seen them before and there are long lines at check in.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Not a whole lot gained here really except the DEMS cried 'give' before the GOP and the GOP can blame the DEMS for the shutdown. This re-opens the government till Feb. 8 and we'll be going through this crap again.  To me it seems really that the DEMS won as McConnell agreed to  to hold a debate on a bill to extend protections for recipients of the DACA program. In exchange for what?  No mention of the DEMS agreeing to fund the wall or ending chain migration.  Nothing got resolved and yet the GOP is seeing this as a victory?

I think it was a victory !!  A huge victory.  The dems caved quickly because Schumer got the message that it was a Schumer Shutdown.

The only way this could not be a huge victory is if we cave at all on immigration issues.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.