Author Topic: Olive branch: Trump offers scaled-back border wall as Democrats soften resistance  (Read 2064 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Olive branch: Trump offers scaled-back border wall as Democrats soften resistance

President remains adamant that the wall be included in current negotiations over how to legalize Dreamers

By S.A. Miller and Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Senate Democrats on Wednesday backed off their red line over President Trump’s proposed border wall, saying they saw a deal in sight that could include permission to build more fencing as part of a broad agreement to legalize illegal immigrant “Dreamers.”

Mr. Trump, meanwhile, is seeking a much less dramatic wall than the “sea-to-sea” version he touted during the 2016, campaign, presenting Congress with a scaled-back version that would cover 700 miles and cost $18 billion over a decade — though the president said he figures it can be built much faster and cheaper.

While he’s changed on the details, Mr. Trump remains adamant that the wall be included in the current negotiations over how to legalize Dreamers.

more
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/10/trump-offers-scaled-back-border-wall-democrats-sof/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Good to see that a compromise may be in the works.   DACA relief in exchange for better border security is a good trade.   Even better would be restrictions on chain migration,  but Trump's got his neck stuck out on the "wall".   But a "great deal" would be to get both.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Good to see that a compromise may be in the works.   DACA relief in exchange for better border security is a good trade.   Even better would be restrictions on chain migration,  but Trump's got his neck stuck out on the "wall".   But a "great deal" would be to get both.

You heard wall and I read fence.  They already talked about repairing fences.  If Trump doesn't come through on border security he is finished.  And it will be all too clear that I was correct in not voting for Trump.  Anybody can shout rhetoric.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
A compromise with the leftists is a one way street.  Eff em
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Democrats don't give a lick about a wall, or anything else, as long as they get their new voters.

After all, it's not like they won't simply vote against funding it anyway, if there is a new budget some day.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online libertybele

You heard wall and I read fence.  They already talked about repairing fences.  If Trump doesn't come through on border security he is finished.  And it will be all too clear that I was correct in not voting for Trump.  Anybody can shout rhetoric.

I read fence as well and I fully agree with you on this issue; he doesn't come through in building a WALL and border security he is done.  He promised a wall and NO amnesty and that is why he drew such tremendous support and that's won him the presidency; anything less and IMHO he will FAIL bigly.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I read fence as well and I fully agree with you on this issue; he doesn't come through in building a WALL and border security he is done.  He promised a wall and NO amnesty and that is why he drew such tremendous support and that's won him the presidency; anything less and IMHO he will FAIL bigly.

Yep extra biggest bigly way.  Hugely bigly!
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

Oh no! So does that mean that you will be forced to not vote for him again if you don't get what you want? Your non vote in the last election meant so much, but it could really mean some thing in '20.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Oh no! So does that mean that you will be forced to not vote for him again if you don't get what you want? Your non vote in the last election meant so much, but it could really mean some thing in '20.

No force needed.  Clean cut no vote without Immigration control.  It is that important.  It isn't just me it is all those bigly crowds at those Trump rallies cheering Trump on when he told them how he would handle immigration.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My vote for W (really against Gore) in 2000 didn't make a difference.  He would have still won FL, and the election, by like 192 votes without it.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump 

The Democrats seem intent on having people and drugs pour into our country from the Southern Border, risking thousands of lives in the process. It is my duty to protect the lives and safety of all Americans. We must build a Great Wall, think Merit and end Lottery & Chain. USA!

8:42 PM - 11 Jan 2018

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/951675713089888256

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Its funny how people who went rabid to destroy anyone who suggested anything less than a 50 foot wall extending the whole length of the border are now meekly whimpering that they're glad that Trump is willing to compromise.

Conservatism now equals hypocrisy and cowardice.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Its funny how people who went rabid to destroy anyone who suggested anything less than a 50 foot wall extending the whole length of the border are now meekly whimpering that they're glad that Trump is willing to compromise.

@Chosen Daughter  @Cripplecreek @INVAR

Never took him literally regarding the Southern Border Wall.   Much of it can be monitored 24/7 by drones and other wireless gizmos.

The key is how swiftly border jumpers can be processed and helicoptered to the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, so the endless parade stops.

This can be accomplished simultaneously with the selective 3AM pickups for the FEMAEC.....'education camps'.   

/S
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Its funny how people who went rabid to destroy anyone who suggested anything less than a 50 foot wall extending the whole length of the border .... 

Well, hyperbole aside @Cripplecreek  neither candidate Trump nor President Trump ever claimed the wall would be 50 feet high or extend the length of the border.   You'd know this if you'd ever listen to (or even read) what the man says.

On this note, this "report" of an "olive branch" is false.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump 

The Democrats seem intent on having people and drugs pour into our country from the Southern Border, risking thousands of lives in the process. It is my duty to protect the lives and safety of all Americans. We must build a Great Wall, think Merit and end Lottery & Chain. USA!

8:42 PM - 11 Jan 2018

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/951675713089888256

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

What lowbrow sites do you frequent that you find this crap?

Online libertybele

@Chosen Daughter  @Cripplecreek @INVAR

Never took him literally regarding the Southern Border Wall.   Much of it can be monitored 24/7 by drones and other wireless gizmos.

The key is how swiftly border jumpers can be processed and helicoptered to the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, so the endless parade stops.

This can be accomplished simultaneously with the selective 3AM pickups for the FEMAEC.....'education camps'.   

/S

Silly me to take anything Trump says literally as he is known to say one thing and do another; he has backpedaled on just about every issue so far except seating a conservative SCOTUS (still waiting to assess Gorsuch).

3am pickups ... 3 am plantings.  As for drones and surveillance without manpower and an actual physical wall is totally useless.  Watching the streaming pictures I suppose makes for some entertainment provided that they have some really awesome tasting popcorn.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

No force needed.  Clean cut no vote without Immigration control.  It is that important.  It isn't just me it is all those bigly crowds at those Trump rallies cheering Trump on when he told them how he would handle immigration.

Exactly.  Building a wall and NO amnesty is what jump started his presidential campaign, it's why he drew the crowds that he did.  It is what his supporters want and what he promised.  IF he doesn't deliver we'll lose the midterms and the leftists will have their amnesty anyways.

Online libertybele

Actually Frank, 2020 is several years out; it's the mid-terms we should all be concerned about.  No worries though, once we lose our majority he'll become a lot more establishment.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Exactly.  Building a wall and NO amnesty is what jump started his presidential campaign, it's why he drew the crowds that he did.  It is what his supporters want and what he promised.  IF he doesn't deliver we'll lose the midterms and the leftists will have their amnesty anyways.

The GOP will lose the midterms you mean.   We see no leadership from those hacks.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

To be fair, he said he wanted 1K miles of wall, doesn't appreciate vulgarity when discussing it, will get Mexico to cover the costs, and it got 10ft higher than planned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mST-M2sdq-0

Whether he actually means any of it is an entirely different story.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

It was American workers who got Trump elected.  If anyone goes back and watches the video's of those rallies they could easily see how important immigration was to them.  People are fed up.  And seeing Trump issue a travel ban for Mexico is the other major reason.  The border is a crime business.  Human trafficking, rape, drugs and murder.  Mexican drug cartels smuggle terrorists.  They behead people and every kind of evil you could imagine.  MS-13, should I say more?  I find the border 75% more dangerous than any airport.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Hahahaha.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline anubias

Hahahaha.

Yep.  I got a good laugh out of that one.  Hat tip to @Frank Cannon