Author Topic: You Have to Be High to Be Mad at Jeff Sessions for Enforcing Federal Pot Laws  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You Have to Be High to Be Mad at Jeff Sessions for Enforcing Federal Pot Laws 

Kurt Schlichter

Posted: Jan 08, 2018 12:01 AM

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who himself seems stoned much of the time, just announced that his Department of Justice is going to start enforcing the federal laws against pot again despite a bunch of states doing a bong hit version of bombarding Ft. Sumpter. Look, no one is more annoyed than I am that Sessions decided to megapunt on his duties with regard to Democrat corruption and the Trump/Russia/Idiocy pseudo-scandal, but he doesn’t deserve all the grief he’s now getting from agitated hopheads and fussy libertarians – to the extent there’s a difference.

Dude, you’re like, harshing my buzz, dude.

Sessions is right not to allow a cheesy end-run around a clear set of laws just because reforming those laws is going to be hard. And no, it’s not “prosecutorial discretion” to refuse to enforce the law. What the legalize-it crowd wants is no prosecution, which is the opposite of exercising discretion. The fact is that Sessions swore to enforce federal law. Pot is against federal law. It’s against federal law because our representatives in the House and Senate passed the laws and the president signed them. The people spoke. Remember that “I’m Just a Bill” Scholastic Rock cartoon?

Yeah, man, that cartoon bill looks like a big fattie joint. Heh heh. Dude, where are the Doritos?

Excerpt:  Read more at https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2018/01/08/draft-n2431291
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Excellent article!  Speaks for me on the subject quite well!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

So you stuck to the speed limit when the National Maximum Speed Law was passed. Good for you. I heard there were 4 people who adhered to that and it is great to finally meet one of them.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
No but I knew a law was being broken. Later, they changed the law.

Change the law.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I've come to like Kurt.

Look, if the states want to retake their right to regulate Marijuana, then their Reps in DeeCee need to fix the laws to allow that.  I think most of the voters want it, they have the votes, so they should grow a pair and do it.  This dichotomy of laws is damaging to the country.

If not, then Sessions is duty bound to enforce the law as written.  Otherwise we have bureaucrats picking and choosing what to enforce, which means picking and choosing who gets arrested or have their guns seized.  Are we a nation of laws, or are we a nation of Bureaucrats?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
So you stuck to the speed limit when the National Maximum Speed Law was passed. Good for you. I heard there were 4 people who adhered to that and it is great to finally meet one of them.

Sorry @Frank Cannon but I was not among that group and was prepared for the consequences. 

Part of the President's oath of office is to "ensure that the laws are faithfully executed".   That means ALL of them.  Not just the ones you happen to like. If it's a bad law get rid of it.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I've come to like Kurt.

Look, if the states want to retake their right to regulate Marijuana, then their Reps in DeeCee need to fix the laws to allow that.  I think most of the voters want it, they have the votes, so they should grow a pair and do it.  This dichotomy of laws is damaging to the country.

If not, then Sessions is duty bound to enforce the law as written.  Otherwise we have bureaucrats picking and choosing what to enforce, which means picking and choosing who gets arrested or have their guns seized.  Are we a nation of laws, or are we a nation of Bureaucrats?

We seem to be in general agreement.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
We seem to be in general agreement.

In general.  The large point is, Federal and State laws need to be in agreement.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

Sorry @Frank Cannon but I was not among that group and was prepared for the consequences. 

Part of the President's oath of office is to "ensure that the laws are faithfully executed".   That means ALL of them.  Not just the ones you happen to like. If it's a bad law get rid of it.

Yeah right. There are so many laws on the books that the average American breaks 10 just living their life in a day without knowing it. The whole thing is a fraud. We have national laws in regards to immigration that are being ignored in these pot states, but Jeffy is going after the pot. It's a joke.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
In general.  The large point is, Federal and State laws need to be in agreement.

To me, the larger point is that once a law is passed it is REQUIRED to be enforced.  Having said that, can you point me to the word or phrase in the federal Constitution which grants the federal government jurisdiction over what crops can be grown, harvested, and sold?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yeah right. There are so many laws on the books that the average American breaks 10 just living their life in a day without knowing it. The whole thing is a fraud. We have national laws in regards to immigration that are being ignored in these pot states, but Jeffy is going after the pot. It's a joke.

Absolutely right!  We need far fewer laws and what remain are required to be enforced.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
To me, the larger point is that once a law is passed it is REQUIRED to be enforced.  Having said that, can you point me to the word or phrase in the federal Constitution which grants the federal government jurisdiction over what crops can be grown, harvested, and sold?

Nope.  I think the Feds need to get their grubs off that stuff, and get back to their original charter.  If people want them expanding beyond it, then they should get what they ask for, good and hard.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Nope.  I think the Feds need to get their grubs off that stuff, and get back to their original charter.  If people want them expanding beyond it, then they should get what they ask for, good and hard.

To me, that is the nub of the problem! WE have allowed the fedgov to stray FAR from what it's charter allows and are getting what we deserve as a result.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
To me, that is the nub of the problem! WE have allowed the fedgov to stray FAR from what it's charter allows and are getting what we deserve as a result.

Perzackly.  The best way to get rid of a bad law is to rigidly enforce it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The demographic trend which is bringing marijuana legalization into the mainstream is more minorities, fewer whites.

More people with tattoos on their necks, fewer WWII veterans. More welfare families, fewer traditional Americans.

More immigrants, fewer native born citizens. More that hate America, and fewer that love America.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline cato potatoe

When is the GOP congress going to change the law?  Let the states regulate cannabis and hemp.  Get the issue off the national stage.

Offline goatprairie

"Commerce Clause. The Commerce Clause describes an enumerated power listed in the United States Constitution (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3). The clause states that the United States Congress shall have power "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"Commerce Clause. The Commerce Clause describes an enumerated power listed in the United States Constitution (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3). The clause states that the United States Congress shall have power "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."

That has been construed to regulate the sale of wheat from a farmer to a consumer in his own town.  It's so broad it's meaningless.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Which has been broadened so far beyond what the founders intended it is unbelievable.  Far beyond the simple intention to "make regular".

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline goatprairie

Which has been broadened so far beyond what the founders intended it is unbelievable.  Far beyond the simple intention to "make regular".
No doubt the fed. gov. has overstepped their authority in many situations involving commerce which should have been left to the states. But they do have a certain amount of constitutional authority.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who himself seems stoned much of the time

That line is funny. I don't care who you are. That is some funny stuff.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
No doubt the fed. gov. has overstepped their authority in many situations involving commerce which should have been left to the states. But they do have a certain amount of constitutional authority.

Yes, they do! But it does not extend to telling people what crops can be planted, harvested, or sold IMHO. Their authority extends ONLY to the process of making trade regular between the several states and no more than that. Common currency, common system of weights and measures, and so forth.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The demographic trend which is bringing marijuana legalization into the mainstream is more minorities, fewer whites.

More people with tattoos on their necks, fewer WWII veterans. More welfare families, fewer traditional Americans.

More immigrants, fewer native born citizens. More that hate America, and fewer that love America.
@truth_seeker
I don't know whether your state has legalised marijuana, but my state has.

I live in a city with a rather large minority population, and I happened to drive past one of the dispensaries that was opening for business on the night it became legal in my state last summer. (Medical marijuana was legal for a few years prior.)

The majority of customers lined up outside the door---in a line that extended around the entire large building---were white.

A few days later, once the immediacy wore off (if you'll pardon the expression), I visited that dispensary myself. It was a normal crowd of customers and, yes, they do check your identification at the entrance. (At my age, being carded is rather flattering.) Once again the majority of customers---including yours truly---were white. I didn't notice whether any customers bore tattoos, but then I'm not in the habit of examining fellow customers when I shop anyplace, never mind a marijuana dispensary.

Until last summer, I had only ever tried marijuana in earnest once before in my life, with my former wife; I'll divulge no details other than to say we discovered it to be a phenomenal aphrodisiac, though we never smoked it again during our marriage and our physical life together was always wonderful---and not the reason our marriage ended. Anyway, I bought one vape-style product and a small box of slim chocolate coins made with marijuana. I can no longer smoke even the vape version, it's far too abrasive for me to handle, but the slim chocolate coins were very pleasant.

I've been to only one marijuana dispensary since that visit, and this time bought only chocolate candies made with it. I bought one box of similar slim chocolate coins, and a large chocolate bar divided into teardrop-shaped small portions. 'Twas the week before Christmas, in fact. I still have most of that purchase, since I'm not exactly given to eating chocolate or having a marijuana every day of my life. (For the record: I'm also a very sparing drinker and have been for a very long time. If I have one or two drinks a week it's an over-indulgence on my part.)

And, except in such online forums as this where a mere difference of opinion can get someone accused of being so, I've yet to be accused credibly of hating this country I have loved the whole of my 62 years, served militarily for five of those years, and trembled for when I realised that the longer I lived the more profoundly my country's government has become anything but a properly-construed government---whose sole legitimate business, other than protecting her citizens from enemies actual and provably iminent from abroad and predators at home (real predators, not mere vicemongers), is staying the hell out of your business, my business, every citizen's business, until or unless one citizen would obstruct or abrogate another's equivalent rights---and everything that could be described charitably as a public nuisance.

My two marijuana dispensary visits, by the way, came 21 years after this magazine's cover symposium, a magazine not heretofore renowned as a hothouse of tattooed America-hating non-veteran welfare recipients . . .

(The magazine's 12 February 1996 issue.)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:13:12 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

That is not the issue.

There is a lot of fruit on the tree that needs pickin', and the lowest, ripest fruit is not marijuana laws.

I'd say sanctuary cities is way more ripe/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Nope. I sat up straight, both feet flat on the floor, and both hands on the wheel and drove.

Regardless of disagreeing with the law, I knew full well it would be enforced if I was caught. We used to call that "Civil Disobedience".  The law (finally) was changed. Now, we drive 65-75-80 legally.

Everyone knows what the law is, so why be surprised. Don't like the law? Get it changed.
(From what I have heard about the way things have gone in CO, once you get past the liberals gushing about the money coming in from taxes, I don't want legal recreational pot.)

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis