Author Topic: Unfiltered Fervor: The Rush to Get Off the Water Grid  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Unfiltered Fervor: The Rush to Get Off the Water Grid
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:32:16 am »
SAN FRANCISCO — At Rainbow Grocery, a cooperative in this city’s Mission District, one brand of water is so popular that it’s often out of stock. But one recent evening, there was a glittering rack of it: glass orbs containing 2.5 gallons of what is billed as “raw water” — unfiltered, untreated, unsterilized spring water, $36.99 each and $14.99 per refill, bottled and marketed by a small company called Live Water.

“It has a vaguely mild sweetness, a nice smooth mouth feel, nothing that overwhelms the flavor profile,” said Kevin Freeman, a shift manager at the store. “Bottled water’s controversial. We’ve curtailed our water selection. But this is totally outside that whole realm.”

Here on the West Coast and in other pockets around the country, many people are looking to get off the water grid.

Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/dining/raw-water-unfiltered.html

-----

:huh?:

Hippies.
The Republic is lost.

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Unfiltered Fervor: The Rush to Get Off the Water Grid
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 03:44:57 am »
There can be (note I am not saying always) nasties in treated water.  I never noticed the difference because I was used to "city" water, but our home is on well water now and it's great.  I hate city water now because it tastes funny and I can smell the chlorine in it.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 03:56:38 am »
The stupidity of these neo-hippies on things like water. The purest you can get is distilled water from food grade stainless steel collected in glass jars. After that, reverse osmosis.

I love how the guy selling 'Live Water' thinks it's better because it's got minerals and natural bacteria in it, which is all fun and games till something nasty gets in it at the source.

If you want probiotics, either buy them in pill form or eat fermented foods. The minerals in water are generally unusable to the human body, but it's easy to add them if you feel the need.

Water is for hydration, distilled and r/o are the best for that. Don't overthink it with some eco-aware pseudoscience crap.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:52:14 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 04:17:55 am »
“It has a vaguely mild sweetness, a nice smooth mouth feel, nothing that overwhelms the flavor profile,”

:facepalm2:

Offline jpsb

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 06:56:55 am »

Berkey Water Filter Systems.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:12:57 am »
It is probably free-range, cruelty-free, gluten free, Free Trade, paleo and non-GMO water.

Here’s their website

https://livespringwater.com/

“The probiotics listed here are exclusive to our unsterilized water. There could be countless other benificial microbes present, scientists just haven't discovered yet. They are imperative for optimal physical and mental health. Without these probiotics we're not able to fully assimilate all the nutrients in our food. Beneficial bacteria are also proven to have abilities to transform harmful bacteria. Here is a published medical report proving raw spring water has vast healing abilities.”

(Note damn hippies can’t spell)

*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Our services are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult your health care provider before making a decision to switch your drinking water source.

:thud:

Extreme Illness After Drinking From a Stream | Naked And Afraid

! No longer available
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 11:08:20 am »
He said “real water” should expire after a few months. His does. “It stays most fresh within one lunar cycle of delivery,” he said. “If it sits around too long, it’ll turn green. People don’t even realize that because all their water’s dead, so they never see it turn green.”

:silly:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 07:19:42 pm »
It is probably free-range, cruelty-free, gluten free, Free Trade, paleo and non-GMO water.

Here’s their website

https://livespringwater.com/

(Note damn hippies can’t spell)

:thud:

! No longer available

All it takes is for one or two bears or deer to crap in the stream and it ain't so pure any more......

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 07:28:22 pm »
:facepalm2:

If your palate isn't corrupted by other foods or drink or smoking there is a difference in water.  big difference  not as much as wines or coffees but you can certainly tell the difference between bottled waters.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 07:37:05 pm »
The stupidity of these neo-hippies on things like water. The purest you can get is distilled water from food grade stainless steell collected in glass jars. After that, reverse osmosis.

I love how the guy selling 'Live Water' thinks it's better because it's got minerals and natural bacteria in it, which is all fun and games till something nasty gets in it at the source.

If you want probiotics, either buy them in pill form or eat fermented foods. The minerals in water are generally unusable to the human body, but it's easy to add them if you feel the need.

Water is for hydration, distilled and r/o are the best for that. Don't overthink it with some eco-aware pseudoscience crap.

LOL! I almost died from city water. That shit is poison.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 07:39:11 pm »
LOL! I almost died from city water. That shit is poison.

Yes drink that city water.  Water thats been run through miles of leaky pipes, managed by bureaucrats, and that you have no way of knowing if its safe.   yeah thats better than anything else.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 07:42:10 pm »

Funny thing. Hillbillies drink from creeks all the time, and they don;t get sick from it ever.
I can't remember a single hillbilly contracting beaver fever (giardia) - Partly because they are smart enough not to drink still water, but mostly because they are immune.

The reason creek water makes you sick is because you never drink it.
SHEESH! Where do you think all the animals get there bottled water from?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 07:47:46 pm »
The stupidity of these neo-hippies on things like water. The purest you can get is distilled water from food grade stainless steell collected in glass jars. After that, reverse osmosis.

Well said.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 07:51:55 pm »
Funny thing. Hillbillies drink from creeks all the time, and they don;t get sick from it ever.
I can't remember a single hillbilly contracting beaver fever (giardia) - Partly because they are smart enough not to drink still water, but mostly because they are immune.

The reason creek water makes you sick is because you never drink it.
SHEESH! Where do you think all the animals get there bottled water from?

That is true.  I learned there is more to it than expected on a bicycle trip.   I rode a bike across the state of Iowa and was dumping an refilling my water bottle at each town.   as a result I got water from about 9 different places each day.

As a result my gut was a mess.   Last 3 days I stopped doing that and it was much better.   Each town has slightly different bacteria in their water that your body has to adjust too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 07:55:14 pm »
If your palate isn't corrupted by other foods or drink or smoking there is a difference in water.  big difference  not as much as wines or coffees but you can certainly tell the difference between bottled waters.

Agree.  I hate Zephyrhills water because of the flavor.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 07:55:22 pm »
That is true.  I learned there is more to it than expected on a bicycle trip.   I rode a bike across the state of Iowa and was dumping an refilling my water bottle at each town.   as a result I got water from about 9 different places each day.

As a result my gut was a mess.   Last 3 days I stopped doing that and it was much better.   Each town has slightly different bacteria in their water that your body has to adjust too.

Yeah, that's right.

If I go out of the valley, I'll boil the water... But I can drink the water here just fine.
The human animal is not made for wide travel, or at least not so fast... If you walked that same trip, I dare say you'd have been fine.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 07:59:34 pm »
Yes drink that city water.  Water thats been run through miles of leaky pipes, managed by bureaucrats, and that you have no way of knowing if its safe.   yeah thats better than anything else.

I know of one local municipality that had at least one street of houses accidentally hooked up to reuse water instead of potable water for their home connection.  It was discovered when the road was dug up, regraded and repaved.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 08:01:00 pm »
Yeah, that's right.

If I go out of the valley, I'll boil the water... But I can drink the water here just fine.
The human animal is not made for wide travel, or at least not so fast... If you walked that same trip, I dare say you'd have been fine.

Riding a bike 479 miles was hard enough, I wouldnt want to walk it.  lol

but youre right

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 08:02:41 pm »
Agree.  I hate Zephyrhills water because of the flavor.

Its those Florida minerals.    Go diving in the natural springs, its the same water.

Yes I've peed in the same water they pull from.   :)   I also saw a duck fish and alligator poop in it.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 08:04:28 pm »
Its those Florida minerals.    Go diving in the natural springs, its the same water.

Yes I've peed in the same water they pull from.   :)   I also saw a duck fish and alligator poop in it.

LOL  We're on well water from the Floridan aquifer.  It's delicious and all the duck, fish, alligator and driftdiver poop has been naturally filtered out.

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 08:08:04 pm »
LOL  We're on well water from the Floridan aquifer.  It's delicious and all the duck, fish, alligator and driftdiver poop has been naturally filtered out.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 08:10:57 pm »

@RoosGirl
I did not poop in the aquifer.   I was diving and did pee in it though.   The water squeezes your bladder as you descend and it hurts.  Plus the aquifer is cold and pee is warm,  ahhhhhhhh.

I also puked in the Atlantic at about 102ft down.    I guess I should confess there might have been a little poop when i saw my first shark.   Oh yeah then there was the night dive.  Now that was a little scary.   its pitch black and you swear you hear sharks walking up behind you.   All you can see is the large shapes flashing through your flash light beam.  So you surface but the boats lights broke and you cant find it.   6 miles out and you cant find your boat, at night.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 08:12:29 pm »
We are on town water but our previous house was well water that was fed by springs. It was the best tasting water ever. Lots of minerals. Our pipes looked like caverns.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 08:15:39 pm »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 08:15:48 pm »
I also puked in the Atlantic at about 102ft down.

I bet that's a tricky operation...