Author Topic: Unfiltered Fervor: The Rush to Get Off the Water Grid  (Read 2197 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Unfiltered Fervor: The Rush to Get Off the Water Grid
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 08:17:00 pm »
@RoosGirl
I did not poop in the aquifer.   I was diving and did pee in it though.   The water squeezes your bladder as you descend and it hurts.  Plus the aquifer is cold and pee is warm,  ahhhhhhhh.

I also puked in the Atlantic at about 102ft down.    I guess I should confess there might have been a little poop when i saw my first shark.   Oh yeah then there was the night dive.  Now that was a little scary.   its pitch black and you swear you hear sharks walking up behind you.   All you can see is the large shapes flashing through your flash light beam.  So you surface but the boats lights broke and you cant find it.   6 miles out and you cant find your boat, at night.

I went snorkeling as a kid at Pennycamp Park. Most of the park is shallow, but there's an area where, if I am remembering correctly people go to get qualified for deep dive SCUBA certs.  So you're snorkeling along over the surface looking at the bottom and all of a sudden there's this deep drop off that gets really dark, really fast.  That's a moment that makes you clench when you're not expecting it.  I would not be at all please to surface and not be able to find the boat, no not at all.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 08:18:48 pm »
We are on town water but our previous house was well water that was fed by springs. It was the best tasting water ever. Lots of minerals. Our pipes looked like caverns.

I bought this place specifically because it's water supply is an artesian spring. My water is AWESOME.

Leaves spots on the drinking glasses, and tastes wonderful
And spots on quart jars don't matter none to me.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 08:21:27 pm »
I bought this place specifically because it's water supply is an artesian spring. My water is AWESOME.

Leaves spots on the drinking glasses, and tastes wonderful
And spots on quart jars don't matter none to me.

Those spots come off if you lick your finger and then rub your finger over them.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 08:23:45 pm »
Those spots come off if you lick your finger and then rub your finger over them.

That seems like a lot of work... And folks already get queasy if they find out I let the dog clean the plates... Imagine if I told em I licked the glasses?

:shrug:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 08:27:21 pm »
I went snorkeling as a kid at Pennycamp Park. Most of the park is shallow, but there's an area where, if I am remembering correctly people go to get qualified for deep dive SCUBA certs.  So you're snorkeling along over the surface looking at the bottom and all of a sudden there's this deep drop off that gets really dark, really fast.  That's a moment that makes you clench when you're not expecting it.  I would not be at all please to surface and not be able to find the boat, no not at all.

Saw my first shark off the coast in that area.  It does get dark down deep,  but mostly it gets green.  After about 85ft everything has a green tinge to it.  If the water is murky then its dark.

Most of the time the visibility is really good though.  So you can see those sharks coming from about 90 feet away.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 08:33:08 pm »
Funny thing. Hillbillies drink from creeks all the time, and they don;t get sick from it ever.
I can't remember a single hillbilly contracting beaver fever (giardia) - Partly because they are smart enough not to drink still water, but mostly because they are immune.

The reason creek water makes you sick is because you never drink it.
SHEESH! Where do you think all the animals get there bottled water from?

That is also the reason people get sick from drinking water in some countries outside of the US. It isn’t necessarily because the water is “bad” but because you have not built up an immunity to their “critters”.  Which is why most savvy traveler say always drink bottled water, don’t drink drinks with ice and only eat fresh vegetables and fruits that you can peel. I only drank bottled water and drinks without ice when I was in the UK a couple of years ago.

When I was a kid living in Elizabethtown, PA, a friend of mine lived in a really, really old stone house that probably went back to the mid 1700’s and there was a spring house on the property were an underground spring came out of the ground and fed a creek.  I remember my friend and I drinking the water that came up in the spring house without any problems, but as my friend told me, “but don’t drink the water in the creek because the cows piss and crap in it.”

But I still wouldn’t buy “raw water” from these people in the article.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:33:28 pm by Neverdul »
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 08:36:06 pm »
Funny thing. Hillbillies drink from creeks all the time, and they don;t get sick from it ever.

Total BS.

SHEESH! Where do you think all the animals get there bottled water from?

SMH in disbelief.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 08:39:46 pm »
I've read that water related illness is one of the major causes of death in the world.  Millions of people die every year because they can't get good water.

In many cases their access to water is because of political unrest.  Other times its because they don't know basic water sanitation practices.   Like not putting your bathroom upstream from where you drink.

That said, people have lived for thousands of years drinking from rivers, lakes, and streams.   If you're smart about it then its safe.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 08:40:04 pm »
Saw my first shark off the coast in that area.  It does get dark down deep,  but mostly it gets green.  After about 85ft everything has a green tinge to it.  If the water is murky then its dark.

Most of the time the visibility is really good though.  So you can see those sharks coming from about 90 feet away.

Hah, just enough time to really get a good panic going.  I know most of the time you're at the beach and out swimming there's sharks around.  You try not to think about it, and usually don't see them, so you're mostly okay.  Seeing them coming at you with the purpose of checking you out....  eek.

A buddy of mine and I were swimming near dusk (bad time, right?) at Blowing Rocks and had just come out of the water and were drying off when the sharks started almost beaching themselves going after bait fish.

And there was a story, maybe a year ago now, about the guy out fishing from his kayak that hooked a hammerhead and let the thing drag him.  I sure as hell would have bought myself a new rod and reel before I let that happen.

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 08:40:30 pm »
He said “real water” should expire after a few months. His does. “It stays most fresh within one lunar cycle of delivery,” he said. “If it sits around too long, it’ll turn green. People don’t even realize that because all their water’s dead, so they never see it turn green.”

:silly:

He also says that the “raw water” needs to be kept out of direct sunlight and stored in a cool place, sort of like Super Happy Fun Ball?

I will say that I bought one of those Brita pitchers and one time I filled it up and set in the back of the fridge, then I went away for a week and when I came back, sort of forgot about it for another week, maybe two.

It didn’t turn green but it did get a bit slimy and some puffy white mold was growing on the top of it.  :nometalk:

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 09:00:02 pm »
Hah, just enough time to really get a good panic going.  I know most of the time you're at the beach and out swimming there's sharks around.  You try not to think about it, and usually don't see them, so you're mostly okay.  Seeing them coming at you with the purpose of checking you out....  eek.

A buddy of mine and I were swimming near dusk (bad time, right?) at Blowing Rocks and had just come out of the water and were drying off when the sharks started almost beaching themselves going after bait fish.

And there was a story, maybe a year ago now, about the guy out fishing from his kayak that hooked a hammerhead and let the thing drag him.  I sure as hell would have bought myself a new rod and reel before I let that happen.

I was off Jupiter Beach at about 85 feet.  I was watching a guy hand feed a moray eel.  Illegal and foolish.   What I didnt see was the 800lb group that came up within 2ft of me wanting some fish too.   My buddy tapped me and I looked over and saw this eye about the size of a plate right next to me.   That had a pucker factor.

But in reality the fish won't bother you, not even the sharks.  The only guy I know hurt by a fish had the end of his finger bitten off by a puffer fish.  He pointed at it and the fish darted out and bit his finger off.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 09:01:08 pm »
He also says that the “raw water” needs to be kept out of direct sunlight and stored in a cool place, sort of like Super Happy Fun Ball?

I will say that I bought one of those Brita pitchers and one time I filled it up and set in the back of the fridge, then I went away for a week and when I came back, sort of forgot about it for another week, maybe two.

It didn’t turn green but it did get a bit slimy and some puffy white mold was growing on the top of it.  :nometalk:

The UV in sunlight will kill bacteria.  Its one way of sanitizing water

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 09:03:06 pm »

Oh and stay out of the surf at dawn and dusk.  Otherwise known as breakfast and dinner for sharks.

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 09:03:18 pm »
I've read that water related illness is one of the major causes of death in the world.  Millions of people die every year because they can't get good water.

In many cases their access to water is because of political unrest.  Other times its because they don't know basic water sanitation practices.   Like not putting your bathroom upstream from where you drink.

That said, people have lived for thousands of years drinking from rivers, lakes, and streams.   If you're smart about it then its safe.

There was a really well made movie that came out in 2006 called “The Painted Veil” based on a novel by W. Somerset Maugham of the same name. In the movie the British doctor and his vain and unfaithful wife travel to a small village in central China where there is an outbreak of cholera. The people will not drink the well water believing it is poison but are instead getting their water from the river. The doctor discovers that their custom of burying their dead in shallow graves along the river bank is what is making them sick and after much opposition, devises a way to bring fresh water down from a mountainside using a system of aqueducts.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 09:05:45 pm »
Oh and stay out of the surf at dawn and dusk.  Otherwise known as breakfast and dinner for sharks.

Hah, yep!  Surprised I didn't get bit since I was skipping my college classes that day and had driven down from Orlando just to go to *that* beach. :)

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 09:07:46 pm »
Hah, yep!  Surprised I didn't get bit since I was skipping my college classes that day and had driven down from Orlando just to go to *that* beach. :)

My son and I were diving for fossilized sharks teeth off Venice beach on the gulf side.   We were out about 300 yds out in about 20ft of water.   Visiblity was about 12 inches.

We surfaced and my son saw a sharks fin circling us.   That was a long long long swim in.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2018, 09:10:06 pm »

Total BS.

SMH in disbelief.

Not BS at all.
I have drank creek water all my life. Next best thing to it now (unsullied artesian spring).
Never been sick from doing so, even once... Well, other than when I went back to it... I was sicker than a dog then, but with a purpose.
Now I don't need to drink city water anymore.

It's the city water than dang near killed me.
That water ain't only dead, it's poisoned.
You can keep your chlorine and fluoride.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 09:11:46 pm »
There was a really well made movie that came out in 2006 called “The Painted Veil” based on a novel by W. Somerset Maugham of the same name. In the movie the British doctor and his vain and unfaithful wife travel to a small village in central China where there is an outbreak of cholera. The people will not drink the well water believing it is poison but are instead getting their water from the river. The doctor discovers that their custom of burying their dead in shallow graves along the river bank is what is making them sick and after much opposition, devises a way to bring fresh water down from a mountainside using a system of aqueducts.

@Neverdul
This guy is bathing.  India has major problems with this but apparently the immune systems of a minor diety. There are worse pictures too.  They put their dead into the river as well.   There are pictures of people bathing just feet from decomposing bodies.