Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 159995 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #675 on: June 08, 2018, 01:15:38 pm »
He drank heavily and was a heroine user for many years.   I'm sure it added up.

@driftdiver

After age 60 it ALL starts to add up,including nights you didn't get enough sleep. If what you say about him being a heavy drinker and smack user for decades,and I have no doubt you are right,only makes it worse because he obviously had emotional problems long before the physical problems came about that are associated with aging.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #676 on: June 08, 2018, 01:20:26 pm »
@driftdiver

After age 60 it ALL starts to add up,including nights you didn't get enough sleep. If what you say about him being a heavy drinker and smack user for decades,and I have no doubt you are right,only makes it worse because he obviously had emotional problems long before the physical problems came about that are associated with aging.

He openly spoke about it many times.  In this article he talks about searching the carpet and smoking the paint chips hoping it was smack.  Apparently it was quite common in the NY food industry where he worked when young.
https://www.thefix.com/content/anthony-bourdain-addicted-past91330
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #677 on: June 08, 2018, 01:23:05 pm »
Douglas Duncan, Photojournalist, Marine, dies age 102

To photograph the U.S. assault on Okinawa, a World War II battle so fierce it was remembered as a “typhoon of steel,” David Douglas Duncan lay suspended under the wing of a P-38 fighter plane.

Duncan, a combat photographer with the Marines, was sealed inside a cramped, acrylic-tipped tank designed to transport wounded troops. His camera in one hand, he kept a towel in the other to wipe sweat and condensation from the glass, allowing him to capture the precise moment at which Marine bombers dropped napalm on Japanese pillboxes.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-ln-david-douglas-duncan-20180607-story.html

@Slip18

THAT was a life well-lived! Thank you,Mr. Duncan!

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #678 on: June 08, 2018, 01:28:35 pm »
He openly spoke about it many times.  In this article he talks about searching the carpet and smoking the paint chips hoping it was smack.  Apparently it was quite common in the NY food industry where he worked when young.

Those paint chips had lead in them back then.  Crazy.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #679 on: June 08, 2018, 01:34:07 pm »

There are plenty of ex junkies around that are not killing themselves. Kate Spade have a heavy smack habit? There is no correlation between his past habits and this silly shit.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #680 on: June 08, 2018, 01:38:01 pm »
There are plenty of ex junkies around that are not killing themselves. Kate Spade have a heavy smack habit? There is no correlation between his past habits and this silly shit.

@Frank Cannon

Well if you read the thread we were referring to him running away from problems.   

I don't have any sympathy for heroine addicts.   Its not like anyone doesn't know what it does to people.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #681 on: June 08, 2018, 01:45:43 pm »
@Slip18

THAT was a life well-lived! Thank you,Mr. Duncan!

Yes, he lived a very interesting life, IMHO.   Mr. Duncan has many fabulous books available, too.  He actually has six books on Picasso.   

If you dig in deeper than the L.A. Times obituary, he really was something.  He picked up a job with Life Magazine while wearing his Marines duds!  He did not like working there, so he went on to Harpers Magazine.

He was photographed working in 2006.  What an amazing life!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #682 on: June 08, 2018, 01:45:59 pm »
@Frank Cannon

Well if you read the thread we were referring to him running away from problems.   

I don't have any sympathy for heroine addicts.   Its not like anyone doesn't know what it does to people.

Running away from problems or having a good time. I know loads of respected business owners and family men who partied their asses off in their youth. Tony was clean for decades. It's a non factor. He was just a weak loser.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #683 on: June 08, 2018, 01:53:14 pm »
@Frank Cannon

@driftdiver

I do. Not enough to overlook the fact they are flawed people because they ARE flawed people. Very few people become junkies because they WANT to be an addict. They have something wrong in their minds that draws them towards it. Granted,there are probably a small percentage that think being a junkie makes them cool,makes them artistic,etc,etc,etc,but who is going to argue against the fact that THOSE people have personality as well as physical problems?

Which is not to say they shouldn't be held responsible for any crimes they commit.

Or that I would ever trust one with anything. You just can't trust a junkie. ANY junkie.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #684 on: June 08, 2018, 01:54:58 pm »
He got paid to travel and eat in exotic places.  There's a scenario where you'd expect someone would want to live.  Weird.

He always came off as angry to me.  I didn't watch him because of that.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #685 on: June 08, 2018, 02:18:49 pm »
We have a decent idea of what he may have eaten.

Although roasted bone marrow or tuna belly may not be his favorite meal, those dishes would be the last he would want to savor before he ever kicks the bucket. "I like roasted bone marrow for my last meal," said Bourdain. "You know a few lengths of veil leg bone roasted with some toasted baguette, a little sea salt, a little parsley, and some caper salad, and smear all that onto a toasted French bead, and that is a delicious meal."

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/09/25-things-you-didnt-know-about-anthony-bourdain/first-respectable-job-was-a-dishwasher-boy
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #686 on: June 08, 2018, 02:20:45 pm »

Thank you for that.  Exactly, the vibe I got.

To a lady friend, he was her 'Elvis'.  She DVR'd everything..."Anthony this...Anthony that..."

She's a Commie too.   ^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #687 on: June 08, 2018, 02:26:13 pm »
It's not uncommon for the most pampered people to be the ones who off themselves. They never can reach a level of satisfaction and they never reach any level of thankfulness. Many suicides I knew were blessed but refused to see it. Most people I know with Depression are incredibly self-focused. I can never tell if the Depression causes it or comes from it.

Countdown to Resignation

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #688 on: June 08, 2018, 02:26:49 pm »

I never watched his show, but was comforted by the fact someone actually in the world of food found Rachel Ray as annoying as I did.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #689 on: June 08, 2018, 02:35:09 pm »
BREAKING: Former Cardinals player, manager Red Schoendienst dies at 95, was oldest living member of Baseball Hall of Fame.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1004530425606344704

What's shocking is that now Tommy Lasorda is the oldest living Hall of Famer,    who ever would have thought way back then that would have been the case.    Guess it just goes to show that eating pasta is good for you after all.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #690 on: June 08, 2018, 02:38:38 pm »
Heavy drinker, heavy smoker, did lots of drugs. Atheist, so he didn't believe in an afterlife. Twice divorced. I can't help thinking the guy didn't value life all that much.

It is kind of a shame. I enjoyed his TV work.

Said he would poison Trump if he cooked for him.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #691 on: June 08, 2018, 02:42:23 pm »

He must have mixed up the plates.... :cool:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #692 on: June 08, 2018, 02:45:30 pm »

:beer:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #693 on: June 08, 2018, 02:46:30 pm »

LOL. Top Notch!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #694 on: June 08, 2018, 02:48:25 pm »
What the hell is wrong with you people? Can't you leave Donald Trump out of anything?!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #695 on: June 08, 2018, 02:53:17 pm »
What the hell is wrong with you people?

Well my father left when I was young and my mother didn't love me.....plus I didn't get a good quote from Geico because of an incident that I legally can't discuss.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #696 on: June 08, 2018, 03:00:13 pm »
What the hell is wrong with you people? Can't you leave Donald Trump out of anything?!

Countdown to Resignation

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #697 on: June 08, 2018, 03:12:14 pm »

He obviously couldn't.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #698 on: June 08, 2018, 03:47:55 pm »
He got paid to travel and eat in exotic places.  There's a scenario where you'd expect someone would want to live.  Weird.

He wrote of the stress of never being home, always waking up somewhere else, nightmares about being stuck in a hotel, never getting to see his wife and daughter, etc.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #699 on: June 08, 2018, 03:51:57 pm »
He wrote of the stress of never being home, always waking up somewhere else, nightmares about being stuck in a hotel, never getting to see his wife and daughter, etc.

Yeah, so he killed himself instead of quitting some shit show on CNN........makes a lot of sense.