Author Topic: Obituaries for 2018  (Read 160014 times)

Offline thackney

Re: Obituaries for 2018
« Reply #650 on: June 06, 2018, 11:39:12 am »
Mostly anecdotes, especially among high-profile or famous people. Three off the top of my head that fit the chronic pain narrative are Dick Trickle, Hunter S. Thompson and Ray Combs. Then there was the case of Don Lapre who fits the "avoid those going after you" narrative (in Lapre's case, the feds, since he was being investigated for fraud).

Depression alone, from the cases I've seen, is generally pretty rare as an impetus for suicide, except in teenagers. Not that it doesn't happen (see: Sylvia Plath, Freddie Prinze Sr.) but that it isn't a leading cause and we shouldn't assume it as such.

My experience is just the opposite.  Depression alone can result in suicide.  I've never heard anyone with pain alone that committed suicide without significant depression.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline aligncare

« Reply #651 on: June 06, 2018, 12:28:47 pm »
After listening to morning radio (‘mourning’ radio in this case) and the talk of Kate Spade’s life, her celebrity, her design’s popularity with women of two generations, and as a man completely disinterested in women’s fashion labels, particularly handbags and shoes, I have to admit I’ve never heard of the lady or her designs.

But talk here in NYC of her life and career has been a bittersweet story, though. It’s also brought out personal accounts by Michael Riedel of other celebrity suicides. As one who toils in anonymity, it fascinates me why the rich and famous would end it all.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #652 on: June 06, 2018, 01:07:50 pm »
Clarence Fountain, founder of The Blind Boys of Alabama, dies at 88

In 1939, Fountain, a student at the Alabama Institute for the Negro Blind, teamed up with some of his classmates to form a gospel group. Known as the Blind Boys of Alabama, the group specialized in gospel and inspirational music; working almost entirely in black communities for their first decades of existence, the Blind Boys did not get widespread recognition until the 1980s, in part because of Fountain's resistance to doing so, as he felt no need. In this later era, their music, while still underpinned to its gospel roots, diversified into other styles such as funk, country,  and soul, earning the group several Grammy awards and television appearances.

Fountain's death from diabetes and old-age complications leaves James Carter as the group's sole surviving original member.

Obituary from KTEP

Wikipedia (Blind Boys of Alabama)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:31:15 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #653 on: June 06, 2018, 10:31:05 pm »
Jerry Maren, last of the Munchkins and one of the last surviving cast members of The Wizard of Oz, dies at 98

Maren (also billed under his full last name Marenghi) began his performing career at the age of 13 and received his first big breakthrough at the age of 18, when, as a member of Singer's Midgets, he was cast as a member of The Lollipop Guild, a group of Munchkins in the blockbuster film The Wizard of Oz.

As a "little person" (3'6") in Hollywood, he maintained a steady acting career through at least the 1970s, including as a regular on The Gong Show, tossing confetti, and as McDonaldland characters such as Mayor McCheese and the Hamburglar. As other members of the cast began to die off in the 1980s and 1990s, Maren became increasingly in demand as one of the few actors that appeared in the film that was still alive and active. He made his last public appearance in 2013 and his last social media appearance in early 2016; by August, he was too ill to do any further interviews.

Maren died of old age on May 24 at the age of 98; his death was not reported until June 6. One other person known to have appeared on screen during the film is known to survive; Caren Marsh Doll, who was Judy Garland's stunt double, still lives at the age of 99, and there may be others.

Obituary from CBS News

IMDB

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:32:16 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #654 on: June 07, 2018, 01:33:21 am »
BREAKING: Former Cardinals player, manager Red Schoendienst dies at 95, was oldest living member of Baseball Hall of Fame.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1004530425606344704
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #655 on: June 07, 2018, 01:54:14 am »
BREAKING: Former Cardinals player, manager Red Schoendienst dies at 95, was oldest living member of Baseball Hall of Fame.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1004530425606344704

Red Schoendienst, Cardinals legend and Baseball Hall of Famer, dead at 95

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #656 on: June 07, 2018, 05:12:58 am »
Nightclub owner Peter Stringfellow dies aged 77, spokesman says

The nightclub owner Peter Stringfellow has died from cancer aged 77, his spokesman has said.

The British businessman, who had wanted to keep his illness private, died in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Known as the "King of Clubs", Stringfellow opened a string of venues across the world.

He leaves behind four children from three marriages.

https://news.sky.com/story/nightclub-owner-peter-stringfellow-dies-aged-77-spokesman-says-11397085
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #657 on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:25 am »
Red Schoendienst, Cardinals legend and Baseball Hall of Famer, dead at 95
Aw, as a former St. Louisan, that one brings a tear to my eye.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #658 on: June 07, 2018, 12:48:26 pm »

1967 was the 1st year I remember seriously following baseball. 1st year Dad took me to Wriggly to see a Cards/Cubs game. 1st year of collecting baseball cards. 1st year sneaking a transistor radio with an ear piece into middle school to listen to the Cubs day games.  Even tho I was a Cubs fan I was pulling for the Cards to stomp the BoSox in the 67 World Series.  Looking back now Red out classed and out coached Louie the Lip all thu the 60's.
RIP
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #659 on: June 07, 2018, 05:41:10 pm »
@mountaineer
Red Schoendienst had quiet guts. The classic example: playing the entire 1958 season including a World Series (for the Braves) while he was struck with what was diagnosed as tuberculosis after the season. The Yankees, who beat the Braves in that Series (a year after the Braves beat them, also in seven games), all could tell something was seriously wrong with him when he played, even when he ran out a triple and looked like he needed oxygen after stopping at third. He underwent surgery after the Series, was told he'd never play again, but did come back to play a couple of more years as a part-timer and coach.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #660 on: June 07, 2018, 05:52:13 pm »
1967 was the 1st year I remember seriously following baseball. 1st year Dad took me to Wriggly to see a Cards/Cubs game. 1st year of collecting baseball cards. 1st year sneaking a transistor radio with an ear piece into middle school to listen to the Cubs day games.  Even tho I was a Cubs fan I was pulling for the Cards to stomp the BoSox in the 67 World Series.  Looking back now Red out classed and out coached Louie the Lip all thu the 60's.
RIP
The least difficult thing in baseball was out-classing Leo Durocher.

The real key to the Cardinals' 1967 World Series win: Red Sox manager Dick Williams going with popular sentiment instead of baseball sense and starting his Cy Young Award winner to be Jim Lonborg in Game Seven on two days rest, a situation for which Lonborg wasn't exactly experienced at the time, whereas the Cardinals' Bob Gibson was going in Game Seven on near-full rest. Williams had two other viable options, Gary Bell and Jose Santiago, both of whom had pitched respectably earlier in the Series. Sure enough, Lonborg's inexperience on two days' rest showed up soon enough and, instead of trusting his bullpen when Lonborg got behind, Williams left Lonborg in to surrender seven runs, six earned, the crowning indignity being Julian Javier's (Julian Javier???) three-run homer in the sixth. Then Williams brought in Santiago starting in the seventh, and Santiago shut the Cardinals out the rest of the way, but the destruction was done.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #661 on: June 07, 2018, 06:05:07 pm »
Red was much-loved in STL. After him, Whitey Herzog.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #662 on: June 07, 2018, 07:54:24 pm »
The least difficult thing in baseball was out-classing Leo Durocher.

The real key to the Cardinals' 1967 World Series win: Red Sox manager Dick Williams going with popular sentiment instead of baseball sense and starting his Cy Young Award winner to be Jim Lonborg in Game Seven on two days rest, a situation for which Lonborg wasn't exactly experienced at the time, whereas the Cardinals' Bob Gibson was going in Game Seven on near-full rest. Williams had two other viable options, Gary Bell and Jose Santiago, both of whom had pitched respectably earlier in the Series. Sure enough, Lonborg's inexperience on two days' rest showed up soon enough and, instead of trusting his bullpen when Lonborg got behind, Williams left Lonborg in to surrender seven runs, six earned, the crowning indignity being Julian Javier's (Julian Javier???) three-run homer in the sixth. Then Williams brought in Santiago starting in the seventh, and Santiago shut the Cardinals out the rest of the way, but the destruction was done.

I love that stuff - I remember the '67 Series fairly well.  Mayo Smith and Mickey Lolich flipped the outcome in '68.  And don't forget the "craziness" of putting Mickey Stanley at shortstop to get Kaline back in the lineup.  Baseball, the Beautiful Game. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #663 on: June 07, 2018, 08:33:45 pm »
I love that stuff - I remember the '67 Series fairly well.  Mayo Smith and Mickey Lolich flipped the outcome in '68.  And don't forget the "craziness" of putting Mickey Stanley at shortstop to get Kaline back in the lineup.  Baseball, the Beautiful Game.
@Lando Lincoln
There are few things equal in this life to the taste of our steaks and the flavour of our baseball, no matter how often either change. Think, too, of . . .

* Casey Stengel staggering the "purists," actual or alleged, when he brought in Bob Kuzava to close out back-to-back World Series against "the percentages," knowing---and this was before anyone ever thought of sabermetrics---that the lefthander Kuzava was actually tougher against righthanded hitters.

* Howard Ehmke, nearing the end of such career as he had, starting a World Series game and setting a new record for strikeouts in a Series game, subsequently broken by Carl Erskine, Sandy Koufax, and Bob Gibson.

* Moe Drabowsky, known better as a flake than a relief pitcher, relieving Dave McNally in Game One, 1966 World Series, and striking out eleven, still a record for relievers in a Series game.

* Gil Hodges, Cleon Jones, the shoe polish, and Donn Clendenon's immediate two-run homer, 1969 World Series, Game Five.

* Davey Johnson, Mets manager, solving a bullpen shortage for a game by inserting Jesse Orosco on the mound, Roger McDowell in right field (Darryl Strawberry was out of the game), and rotating them between the mound and right field each inning until the Mets won the game.

* Billy Martin blowing his nose and prompting an immediate double-steal attempt that backfired on the Yankees---because Martin momentarily forgot that touching his nose was the sign for Yankee runners to try a steal if they weren't thinking of it already. (He usually let men like Mickey Rivers try to steal at will.)

* Vladimir Guerrero swinging at a pitch that bounced up to the plate---and still hitting a double deep to the outfield. (If he isn't the best bad-ball hitter baseball has seen since Yogi Berra, I don't know who is.)

* Everybody knows: Ted Williams's final major league at-bat was a home run at a season's end. Nobody seems to appreciate: David Ross's final major league at-bat was also a home run---in a World Series. Of course, Grandpa Rossy wan't Teddy Ballgame, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else ending a career with a blast in a World Series at all, never mind Game Seven. Speaking of which . . .

* The 2016 Cubs.

* Dave Roberts stealing with The Mariano on the mound, starting maybe the most improbable comeback and series overthrow in postseason history---2004 Red Sox.

* George Burns as God to John Denver in Oh, God!---Oh, every now and then I work a small one to keep My hand in. My last miracle was the 1969 Mets. Before that, I think you have to go back to the Red Sea. Aaaaah, that was a beauty!

* Luke Appling---all 74 years old of him---opening an old-timer's game in Washington's RFK Stadium by hitting one past the specially drawn-in left field fence (to accommodate the old farts) and into the left field seats, with Warren Spahn (who'd surrendered the bomb) chasing him around the bases playfully, whacking him on the ass with his glove almost all the way. It got Appling more fame than he'd ever known when he did play in the majors, and he was a Hall of Famer in the bargain.

* Reds rookie Chico Ruiz staggering everyone in the yard including Phillies pitcher Art Mahaffey, who then had the best pickoff move in the league, by stealing home with Frank Robinson at the plate (it helped that Mahaffey was startled enough by the attempt that he threw the pitch home a little wild), for the only run of the game that started the Phillie Phold of 1964.

* Darryl Strawberry channeling his inner Roy Hobbs and hitting the Busch Stadium clock on the rim of the upper deck, late 1985.

* Sandy Koufax going mano a mano with Willie Mays.

* Juan Marichal v. Warren Spahn, sixteen innings, 1963.

* Yogi Berra happening upon a pre-All Star Game of American League pitchers discussing how to pitch Stan Musial and saying, "Forget it---you guys are trying to figure out in fifteen minutes what nobody's figured out in fifteen years."

* Tom Seaver knocking Bob Gibson down in retaliation for Gibson decking a Mets batter in a spring training game and hollering, "We can stop right now if you want, but if you want to continue you'd better remember I throw a lot harder than you now, you old fart!" (For the record, Gibson loved it---he recognised a fellow samurai.)

* Pedro Martinez tweeting admiration when Noah Syndergaard opened Game Three, 2015 World Series, by knocking the Royals' plate-crowding Alcides Escobar on his ass. (Tom Verducci, Sports Illustrated writer working as a colour man on the television broadcast: "That's announcing yourself. Game on!" P.S. It was the only game the Mets won in a Series they could have won but handed the Royals thanks to their porous defense.)

* Albert Pujols hitting three homers in one World Series game beginning in the seventh inning.

* The 2011 Cardinals coming back from their final strike twice to win Game Six and go on to win Game Seven.

* Bill Mazeroski, Chris Chambliss, Kirk Gibson, Joe Carter, Aaron Boone, and . . .

* Travis Ishikawa channeling his inner Bobby Thomson. 2014 National League Championship Series.

* Randy Johnson pitching a perfect chair from his walker. OK, that's a joke, son, but he was the oldest man ever to pitch a perfect game---40.

* Bartolo Colon's first major league home run . . .

! No longer available

* And, his play to first base . . .

! No longer available

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #664 on: June 07, 2018, 08:35:45 pm »

We have an autographed baseball from the '68 world series Tigers.  Mickey Lolich is on it, and Al Kaline.  I have a 30th anniversary bat with most of the team's signatures.  No Denny McLain on any of them, I understand the other players didn't like him much (And he felt the same about them).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #665 on: June 07, 2018, 08:44:04 pm »
We have an autographed baseball from the '68 world series Tigers.  Mickey Lolich is on it, and Al Kaline.  I have a 30th anniversary bat with most of the team's signatures.  No Denny McLain on any of them, I understand the other players didn't like him much (And he felt the same about them).

Oh man.  Al Kaline is my all time favorite player.  All time.  No doubt.  I listened to every pitch of that Series.  Gibson was so fearsome, I thought there was no chance after Game 4.  Gibson seemed to strike out everyone to this young fan.  Then, Mickey Lolich happened. 

@EasyAce - thank you for the tally of amazing moments.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #666 on: June 08, 2018, 11:26:47 am »
OMG!

Just breaking - Anthony Bourdain, dead at 61. Suicide

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

This week has really been miserable
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #667 on: June 08, 2018, 11:52:10 am »
Chef and television personality Anthony Bourdain commits suicide at 61

Bourdain, who worked as a chef for over two decades before his breakthrough, first came to the national spotlight with his 2000 book Kitchen Confidential. Known for his blunt and straightforward personality, Bourdain transitioned quickly to television; in 2005, he began a seven-year association with the Travel Channel, where his travelogue series No Reservations and The Layover still air. He had produced the similarly themed Parts Unknown for CNN since 2012.

Bourdain committed suicide by hanging the morning of June 8 in France, where he was working on a Parts Unknown episode.

Obituary from Reuters

Wikipedia

IMDB
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:53:03 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #668 on: June 08, 2018, 11:57:05 am »
He got paid to travel and eat in exotic places.  There's a scenario where you'd expect someone would want to live.  Weird.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #669 on: June 08, 2018, 12:01:42 pm »
The HOF has been consistently snubbing the entire branch of Prog Rock since its creation.

@Cyber Liberty

Probably because it is almost exclusively white when it comes to both the players,and especially the audiences. Non-whites are the only Americans that matter.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #670 on: June 08, 2018, 12:03:47 pm »
He got paid to travel and eat in exotic places.  There's a scenario where you'd expect someone would want to live.  Weird.

@edpc

At his age he was just starting on the personal era where a lot of people start getting bad news about their health and futures. Who knows what info will emerge soon about him?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #671 on: June 08, 2018, 12:04:46 pm »
@edpc

At his age he was just starting on the personal era where a lot of people start getting bad news about their health and futures. Who knows what info will emerge soon about him?

He drank heavily and was a heroine user for many years.   I'm sure it added up.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #672 on: June 08, 2018, 12:16:25 pm »
Looks like it was the week for over the hill pompous Upper East Side Liberals to kill themselves.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #673 on: June 08, 2018, 12:43:45 pm »
Douglas Duncan, Photojournalist, Marine, dies age 102

To photograph the U.S. assault on Okinawa, a World War II battle so fierce it was remembered as a “typhoon of steel,” David Douglas Duncan lay suspended under the wing of a P-38 fighter plane.

Duncan, a combat photographer with the Marines, was sealed inside a cramped, acrylic-tipped tank designed to transport wounded troops. His camera in one hand, he kept a towel in the other to wipe sweat and condensation from the glass, allowing him to capture the precise moment at which Marine bombers dropped napalm on Japanese pillboxes.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-ln-david-douglas-duncan-20180607-story.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:47:34 pm by Mod5 »
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #674 on: June 08, 2018, 01:07:36 pm »
Heavy drinker, heavy smoker, did lots of drugs. Atheist, so he didn't believe in an afterlife. Twice divorced. I can't help thinking the guy didn't value life all that much.

It is kind of a shame. I enjoyed his TV work.