Author Topic: Nation's 'Ice Box' Breaks A 93-Year-Old Low Temperature Record  (Read 1475 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Nation's 'Ice Box' Breaks A 93-Year-Old Low Temperature Record
« on: December 27, 2017, 04:41:55 pm »
A blast of Arctic air brought temperatures in the city of International Falls, Minn., down to a new record low of -36 degrees Fahrenheit on Wednesday morning, beating out a nearly century-old record.

International Falls is known as the “ice box of the nation” because the town experiences a high of 32 degrees Fahrenheit for more than 100 days throughout a typical year. The previous record cold for the city was -32 degrees in 1924, but now that’s been shattered, the National Weather Service reported.

Read more at: http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/27/nations-ice-box-breaks-a-93-year-old-low-temperature-record/
The Republic is lost.

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Nation's 'Ice Box' Breaks A 93-Year-Old Low Temperature Record
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 04:54:21 pm »
Never experienced subzero temps, and it's not on my bucket list (though I really don't have one).

Closest I got to zero was 5 degrees in Spokane, though it may have been colder in Todendorf, Germany during "Spring" annual service practice in February 1978.  The wind chill had to have been in negative territory, as the bullets were bouncing off the Baltic Sea. Those winds coming in from the North were bone chilling.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline jpsb

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 04:59:46 pm »
We bottomed out at around -7 here in southern Michigan this morning. Records are falling all over the place.

Coldest night of the year breaks records as Michigan locked in deep freeze

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,296656.msg1554335.html#msg1554335

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 05:25:58 pm »
Mark Twain:

"The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 05:31:06 pm »
“ice box of the nation”

Maybe for those who don't know Alaska is part of the US.

I got to enjoy -48°F and a -72°F wind chill on the Alaskan North Slope.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 05:35:51 pm »
Most of all of Canada is north of International Falls, yet, Canada seems to be doing well.

It's really been a rather mild winter nationwide until this past weekend, and yes, officially Winter just started the 21st or 20th.

North Dakota is rather chilly and open to winds on the plains some I'd surmise. At least, if a city is enclosed some, it might keep the windchill down.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 05:40:08 pm »
-9 this a.m. here in southern Iowa.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 05:41:16 pm »
I forget what year it was, sometimes in the 90’s (96?) right after New Year’s, I was living in Baltimore and we got a really bad cold snap that lasted for well over a week. It’s not unusual here in the Mid Atlantic to get cold snaps but not typically one lasting for that long. The day time temperatures were only around 1 to 5 degrees and at night it was in the below double digits.  It was so cold that you had to shield your eyes lest the water in your eyeballs froze and if you breathed through your nose, it hurt.

I remember it was so unusually cold and for longer than usual that the power grid was having problems and there were rolling brown outs and black outs. I remember having a black out at work and going home early and while driving on the Baltimore beltway, saw big rig after big rig pulled over on the side of the highway, evidently their diesel fuel was freezing.

It warmed up a bit, but still only high temps in the low 30’s mid 20’s but then came the ice storms. Week after week of sleet and freezing rain like clockwork every Wednesday or Thursday for the next 6 weeks.

The ice was so thick on my street, a one-way street that rarely saw a snow plow or salt truck, that it resembled a bob sled run and there were ruts in the ice from cars driving over that it was like jumping a curb to park in front of my house.  The Baltimore Beltway and other road got chewed up so bad from all the ice that I took until the following fall until they’d all been fixed.

After about the 4th ice storm, I told my husband that we needed to move to someplace like Florida because I was becoming suicidal or homicidal or possibly both.

But typical of the weather around these parts, we skipped over spring and went straight into summer, a brutally hot summer. But hot I can take, the cold, not so much. 
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 05:42:04 pm »
5 feet of snow in Erie and more on the way.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 05:54:42 pm »
I was about to say that, the big weather news story is all that snow dumped on Erie, Pennsylvania.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/erie-pennsylvania-pummeled-record-5-feet-snow-164237215.html

But when it snows, often it means it doesn't get as cold.

Living near a big lake, meaning Great Lakes size also is suppose to make it colder.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lake-effect-snow-colder-temperatures-northeast/story?id=52006526

It's currently around 13 degrees, so while that is not a walk in the park, it certainly isn't the worst of temperatures.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 05:55:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 06:00:29 pm »

After about the 4th ice storm, I told my husband that we needed to move to someplace like Florida because I was becoming suicidal or homicidal or possibly both.

But typical of the weather around these parts, we skipped over spring and went straight into summer, a brutally hot summer. But hot I can take, the cold, not so much.

Cold is uncomfortable to many, that is understandable. One might also note where in general, the nation's "fat belt" is though, states like Michigan are largely included in this as well but it is mostly in the warmer regions.

There are always a number of factors to consider though.

And there are lists of the fattest cities too.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:00:52 pm by TomSea »

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 06:05:22 pm »
I was about to say that, the big weather news story is all that snow dumped on Erie, Pennsylvania.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/erie-pennsylvania-pummeled-record-5-feet-snow-164237215.html

But when it snows, often it means it doesn't get as cold.

Living near a big lake, meaning Great Lakes size also is suppose to make it colder.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lake-effect-snow-colder-temperatures-northeast/story?id=52006526

It's currently around 13 degrees, so while that is not a walk in the park, it certainly isn't the worst of temperatures.

Lake effect snows are caused by a very cold air mass coming down from Canada and going over the relatively warmer lake waters. This why usually later in the winter, the lake effect snow machine stops because the lake waters are very cold or frozen over.

https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/lake-effect-snow-great-lakes-explainer

Offline TomSea

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 06:09:20 pm »
Lake effect snows are caused by a very cold air mass coming down from Canada and going over the relatively warmer lake waters. This why usually later in the winter, the lake effect snow machine stops because the lake waters are very cold or frozen over.

https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/lake-effect-snow-great-lakes-explainer

Thanks for the info. I will remember this.

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 06:21:34 pm »
Cold is uncomfortable to many, that is understandable. One might also note where in general, the nation's "fat belt" is though, states like Michigan are largely included in this as well but it is mostly in the warmer regions.

I’m thinking that poverty and diet has a lot to do with that too - southern fried foods smothered in cream gravy, the upper Midwest’s love of cheese perhaps? Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

I do know that I gain weight over the winter. I do try to go to the gym but the lack of sunshine makes me constantly fatigued and depressed.

In the warmer months and with more daylight, last year in the spring and summer and early fall I was walking after work 2 to 3 times a week and on Saturdays and Sundays, going about 2.5 to 3.5 miles each walk. Felt great and was eating healthy, lean chicken and salmon and salads, fresh veggies, fresh fruits.

Since it’s gotten colder and the daylight shorter, I have to work hard just to get motivated to walk across the street to the mail box.  And all I want to eat is pasta with lots of cheese and butter and sleep.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 06:42:57 pm »
Well, we had an extended summer -- there were days in October when I was still running the air conditioner.  But starting the end of November, with maybe one or two exceptions, it has been bitter cold.  Right now its 13 above, but the wind chills are in single numbers. Earlier this morning the wind chill was in the negatives.  I guess we're paying for that extended summer now. 

25 more days and it's back to Florida again.  I just hope our cold snap doesn't extend to the Gulf beaches. 

Offline kidd

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 06:44:07 pm »
I grew up in Minnesota. I experienced -30F twice. One time there was no wind. You can dress for it, but your eyeballs still get cold.  When you spit, it freezes before it his the ground and it bounces.

The second time was during a blizzard; it was -30F without the wind. Had to deliver papers. My dad drove me around. I wore everything that could fit on me but it wasn't enough. I could only go about 5 minutes at a time outside before I had to warm up in the car. Some places in Minnesota reported -101F wind chills, but I think they've changed how the wind chill factor is calculated since then

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 06:48:58 pm »

Yeah the lakes regulate the temperature and actually keep it somewhat warmer till the lakes freeze over. That regulating effect is one of the reasons that some crops grow well around the great lakes. The bulk of Michigan apples and grapes are grown all up the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. The same is true of the eastern Lake Huron shore in Ontario and so forth.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 06:51:21 pm »
Well, we had an extended summer -- there were days in October when I was still running the air conditioner.  But starting the end of November, with maybe one or two exceptions, it has been bitter cold.  Right now its 13 above, but the wind chills are in single numbers. Earlier this morning the wind chill was in the negatives.  I guess we're paying for that extended summer now. 

25 more days and it's back to Florida again.  I just hope our cold snap doesn't extend to the Gulf beaches.

People make such a big deal about snow and wind chills while totally overlooking that we get winter too,

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for West Central And Southwest
Florida.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight.

...DENSE FOG/SMOKE IMPACT...
Visibilities will frequently be reduced to less than one quarter
mile. If driving...slow down...use your low beam headlights...and
leave plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front of
you.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Thursday through Tuesday.

No hazardous weather is expected at this time.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 06:58:22 pm »
I grew up in Minnesota. I experienced -30F twice. One time there was no wind. You can dress for it, but your eyeballs still get cold.  When you spit, it freezes before it his the ground and it bounces.

The second time was during a blizzard; it was -30F without the wind. Had to deliver papers. My dad drove me around. I wore everything that could fit on me but it wasn't enough. I could only go about 5 minutes at a time outside before I had to warm up in the car. Some places in Minnesota reported -101F wind chills, but I think they've changed how the wind chill factor is calculated since then

People who say wind chill factor doesn't matter don't know what they're talking about. I have a co-worker from Nevada who is experiencing her first Michigan winter and I'm coaching her through it.

Offline Cripplecreek

Offline Applewood

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 07:17:28 pm »
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I have been to the Gulf beaches every January with my best friend for the last several years.  Some years, it's been cold.  One year, my friend and I were walking along St. Pete Beach when we encountered a couple from New Jersey.  The wife was very upset because temperatures were in the 50s.  I told her I'll bet the weather in St. Pete Beach was probably a helluva lot better than back home.  The husband said "you're right.  I talked with our daughter this morning and she said it's cold and snowing."  Then the man said to his wife, "see? I told you you're crying about nothing." 

People think if it's Florida, it has to be sunny and 80 degrees 365 days a year.   Of course, it isn't.  But I'll take 50 degrees over the teens or single digits or below zero any day.

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 07:21:11 pm »
People who say wind chill factor doesn't matter don't know what they're talking about.

Wind chill doesn't matter if you are dead, but if you are body producing heat, there is certainly a difference.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 07:27:10 pm »
Wind chill doesn't matter if you are dead, but if you are body producing heat, there is certainly a difference.

Its cold out today but my furnace isn't running much partly due to the pellet stove but mostly because the heat isn't being blown away by the wind.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 07:38:49 pm »
People who say wind chill factor doesn't matter don't know what they're talking about. I have a co-worker from Nevada who is experiencing her first Michigan winter and I'm coaching her through it.

The other thing is the humidity difference from Western states.  The same wind speed and temperature as out west will feel bone-chilling with the extra humidity.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn