Author Topic: Nation's 'Ice Box' Breaks A 93-Year-Old Low Temperature Record  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Victoria33

Re: Nation's 'Ice Box' Breaks A 93-Year-Old Low Temperature Record
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 07:40:38 pm »
People who say wind chill factor doesn't matter don't know what they're talking about. I have a co-worker from Nevada who is experiencing her first Michigan winter and I'm coaching her through it.
@Cripplecreek

I was an EMT so had to know about this.  Windchill only affects living creatures; your body tissue will absorb the extra cold of windchill; it will kill you.  It does not affect non-animate objects.  Example on non-animate objects:  A pipe will react to 30 real degrees; it will not react more with the windchill added degrees. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 07:44:41 pm »
The other thing is the humidity difference from Western states.  The same wind speed and temperature as out west will feel bone-chilling with the extra humidity.

When its hot the heat index rises with the humidity. You get hot and sweat but the sweat doesn't evaporate and cool you because the air is already saturated with moisture.

Offline thackney

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 07:45:02 pm »
@Cripplecreek

I was an EMT so had to know about this.  Windchill only affects living creatures; your body tissue will absorb the extra cold of windchill; it will kill you.  It does not affect non-animate objects.  Example on non-animate objects:  A pipe will react to 30 real degrees; it will not react more with the windchill added degrees.

No, windchill affects anything with heat above the ambient temperature.  If it has heating equipment such as a building, it takes away heat faster, causing more heat required to maintain the inside temperature.

If it is a pipe carrying oil that gells when enough heat is removed, it will gell faster.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 07:56:48 pm »
No, windchill affects anything with heat above the ambient temperature.  If it has heating equipment such as a building, it takes away heat faster, causing more heat required to maintain the inside temperature.

If it is a pipe carrying oil that gells when enough heat is removed, it will gell faster.

Everything only falls to the ambient temperature but the wind helps remove the heat faster. A heated house is actually a pretty good analogy for a human body. Its 11 degrees here today but its not windy so the furnace isn't running. (Its also sunny which gives me some passive solar heating and the pellet stove on the porch is doing its thing.)

Online goatprairie

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 10:14:09 pm »
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I have been to the Gulf beaches every January with my best friend for the last several years.  Some years, it's been cold.  One year, my friend and I were walking along St. Pete Beach when we encountered a couple from New Jersey.  The wife was very upset because temperatures were in the 50s.  I told her I'll bet the weather in St. Pete Beach was probably a helluva lot better than back home.  The husband said "you're right.  I talked with our daughter this morning and she said it's cold and snowing."  Then the man said to his wife, "see? I told you you're crying about nothing." 

People think if it's Florida, it has to be sunny and 80 degrees 365 days a year.   Of course, it isn't.  But I'll take 50 degrees over the teens or single digits or below zero any day.
"But I'll take 50 degrees over the teens or single digits or below zero any day."

Yes, indeed. My wife finally retired last January, and we spent the month in southern Arizona. My first winter away from Wisconsin.
Our last day in Arizona one of the other condo residents was saying goodbye to us. He had vacationed there for many years. He said he was sorry that this had been the coldest January in Tucson for at least fifteen years.
We told him to not feel sorry. We were quite happy with temps in the fifties and sixties compared to temps in the teens or twenties like back home in Wisconsin in January.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:15:40 pm by goatprairie »

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 10:52:24 pm »
Ah, yes, the one time I was really cold was at -40 in Saskatoon killing time after a job interview.  Went out walking in my usual winter clothing (socks, trousers, sweater, sport coat -- all wool -- shirt and tie, with a lined trenchcoat, hat, gloves and scarf as concessions to the wind and snow).  My wife later called from Montreal to let me know there was a cold warning for the entire Canadian Great Plains with people advised to stay indoors.  (Would have been boring to do that -- I got to see a museum and do a little shopping.)
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2017, 12:09:32 am »
They call it Winter for a reason.  If they didn't ...it would be called Summer.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 12:57:37 am »
I had a college friend from Roseau, MN.   He told me that the weather people in International Falls always checked out what the temperature was in Roseau, and lowered their temp a degree to make them the coldest place in the continental US.

They're not really the "Ice Box" cause they cheat.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.