Author Topic: Embarrassing testimony by judicial nominee proves not everyone can be a judge  (Read 837 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
December 16, 2017
Embarrassing testimony by judicial nominee proves not everyone can be a judge
By Rick Moran

A nominee for the federal bench, Matthew Spencer Petersen, made a fool of himself during his confirmation hearing when he proved himself unable to answer basic questions about the law and testified he had never tried any case in any court.

Louisiana GOP Senator John Kennedy tossed Peterson softball questions that anyone familiar with the law and with the experience necessary to be a federal judge should have been able to answer. 

Yikes:

more w/video
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/12/embarrassing_testimony_by_judicial_nominee_proves_not_everyone_can_be_a_judge.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Suppressed

Wow.
And withdrawing other nominees.

"Only the best . . ."

:facepalm2:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:47:08 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline endicom

Who recommended this guy?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
The real question is "How many of these judges made it through the process before we started asking questions?"
At least in the Trump years, we are asking questions.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline endicom

The real question is "How many of these judges made it through the process before we started asking questions?"
At least in the Trump years, we are asking questions.

It's usually up to the opposition party to ask the tough questions but you're probably right.

Offline Night Hides Not

Who recommended this guy?

I'd say the staff work on these recommendations was pretty atrocious.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline endicom

I'd say the staff work on these recommendations was pretty atrocious.

Or nepotic or cronyistic.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Heck, after years of watching Law & Order I evidently know and understand more legal terms than this guy did. Heck even Elle Woods did.  :silly:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Applewood

Seems to me a nominee for district court should have some judicial experience in a lower court.  This guy didn't even practice law for long. 

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Many of judicial appointments are political. It's been that way forever.
Liberals discovered it during Trump's first year
Countdown to Resignation

Offline dfwgator

And yet someone like Sheila Jackson-Lee can be in Congress.

Offline Applewood

The article is correct that the American Bar Association is politically motivated when it recommends or rejects a judicial nominee.  But this time, I think they got it right.  What would this guy do if he had a case before him and a party presented him with a motion in limine? He doesn't even know what a motion in limine is? 

Ok, so judges have law clerks and staff to do the research and otherwise assist in making decisions.  But a judge still needs to have at least some basic understanding of the law and legal terminology.

Online Hoodat

Cut him some slack.  He graduated from the same law school as Ted Kennedy.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Forum member

What do you call the law student who finished at the bottom of their class?

Yer Honor.

Offline Suppressed

Cut him some slack.  He graduated from the same law school as Ted Kennedy.

The University of Virginia School of Law is an excellent school.  Wiley Rein is prestigious.

He's not dumb. He just was arrogant and didn't do any basic prep.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn