Author Topic: Judge Roy Moore in 2015 After Voting in Favor of Child Rapist: ‘No Evidence’ of ‘Serious Physical Injury’  (Read 2203 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Alabama senate candidate Roy Moore is facing allegations that he sexually assaulted a 14-year-old in 1979, while he was a grown man in his 30s. This has led to a deeper examination of the life and career of the former state judge and member of the Alabama Supreme Court.

Back in 2015, Moore was on the bench for a case involving a 17-year-old day care worker who had been convicted of sexually assaulting an unidentified child. The perpetrator, Eric Lemont Higdon, was sentenced to 23 years in prison for his convictions on one count of first-degree sodomy of a child less than 12 and one count of first-degree sodomy by forcible compulsion.

The Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals, however, overturned the latter conviction, stating that the court had not proven forcible compulsion. The decision was based on a precedent case that ruled that, when a sexual assault involves two juveniles, forcible compulsion cannot be established by an “implied threat,” stating that a physical threat must occur.

Read More: https://www.mediaite.com/online/judge-roy-moore-in-2015-after-voting-in-favor-of-child-rapist-no-evidence-of-serious-physical-injury/
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline RoosGirl

Okay?  And?  As we know from many comments here a 17 year old is not an adult, so it sounds like he followed the letter of the law for conviction and sentencing.

Offline kevindavis007

Okay?  And?  As we know from many comments here a 17 year old is not an adult, so it sounds like he followed the letter of the law for conviction and sentencing.

True, I guess it was OK to have 17 forced to have sex..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
So now Roy Moore is guilty of upholding the law! WOW!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Assuming the facts are correct, and not knowing the laws, this is actually something relevant and reality based. I think it needs be answered.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
"Roy Moore went to an adult bookstore in 1974"

000hehehehe

Just kidding, there's a lot of silliness on these boards, my little contribution.

Offline RoosGirl

True, I guess it was OK to have 17 forced to have sex..

Clearly it was not OK or the 17 year old wouldn't have also been convicted of first degree sodomy.  The question that went to the SC was whether a juvenile could be convicted of sodomy by forcible compulsion of another juvenile.

Offline Applewood

@Fishrrman  was correct.  If the allegations of sexual misconduct don't hold up, look for more stories in different veins designed to smear Moore. 

What next?  A major bombshell that Moore doesn't put the toilet seat back down after he's done his business?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
So now Roy Moore is guilty of upholding the law! WOW!!!

What am I missing with the current posts about this?  The guy was preying on children at a Christian day care.  Not one but several.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2014/03/jefferson_county_teen_gets_23-.html

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/al-court-of-criminal-appeals/1687581.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:35:14 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I am bringing this up again.

This is from the above article (sick)

Higdon is the son of a former employee at Mama's Place Christian Academy in Clay. Deputies on Aug. 18, 2012, received a report that Higdon had inappropriate contact with a child at the daycare. In the following week, a total of three families reported similar incidents. There were originally four alleged victims, ages 5, 5, 4 and 3.

The mother of one of the victims called deputies after her 5-year-old son was touching a family member in an inappropriate manner. When the mother asked why, the child told her the suspect at the daycare had touched him that way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So judge Moore voted in favor of pedophilia only two years ago

The other Alabama Supreme Court justices voted to throw out the precedence.  Not Moore.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/judge-roy-moore-in-2015-after-voting-in-favor-of-child-rapist-no-evidence-of-serious-physical-injury/

And I have to tell you that this is the kind of judge I would like to back over with a large truck till there is no movement left.  If there is anything that I can't stand it is pedophiles and judges that are lenient with them.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:21:42 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline RoosGirl

I am bringing this up again.

This is from the above article (sick)

Higdon is the son of a former employee at Mama's Place Christian Academy in Clay. Deputies on Aug. 18, 2012, received a report that Higdon had inappropriate contact with a child at the daycare. In the following week, a total of three families reported similar incidents. There were originally four alleged victims, ages 5, 5, 4 and 3.

The mother of one of the victims called deputies after her 5-year-old son was touching a family member in an inappropriate manner. When the mother asked why, the child told her the suspect at the daycare had touched him that way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So judge Moore voted in favor of pedophilia only two years ago

The other Alabama Supreme Court justices voted to throw out the precedence.  Not Moore.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/judge-roy-moore-in-2015-after-voting-in-favor-of-child-rapist-no-evidence-of-serious-physical-injury/

And I have to tell you that this is the kind of judge I would like to back over with a large truck till there is no movement left.  If there is anything that I can't stand it is pedophiles and judges that are lenient with them.

What are you talking about that he voted in favor of pedophilia?  One of us is not understanding what happened in the Supreme Court case in AL and I'm pretty sure it's not me.

Offline Chosen Daughter

What are you talking about that he voted in favor of pedophilia?  One of us is not understanding what happened in the Supreme Court case in AL and I'm pretty sure it's not me.

I am sure that it is you.

Moore was the only one out of 8 judges not wanting to uphold the second  conviction.  We are talking about a 17 year old sodomizing toddlers in a day care center bathroom.

This section is from the court appeal:

Section 13A–6–63(a)(a), Ala.Code 1975, provides that “[a] person commits the crime of sodomy in the first degree if ․ [h]e engages in deviate sexual intercourse with another person by forcible compulsion.” Section 13A–6–60(8), Ala.Code 1975, defines forcible compulsion as a “[p]hysical force that overcomes earnest resistance or a threat, express or implied, that places another person in fear of immediate death or serious physical injury to himself or another person.”

In viewing the evidence in the light most favorable to the State, this Court must conclude that the State failed to “present any evidence that [Higdon] used physical force that overcame [K.S.'s] earnest resistance.” D.W. v. State, 3 So.3d 955, 957 (Ala.Crim.App.2008). Additionally, the State failed to present any evidence that Higdon made an express threat that “placed [K.S.] in fear of immediate death or serious physical injury to himself or another person.” § 13A–6–60(8), Ala.Code 1975. The State asserts, however, that it presented sufficient evidence of an implied threat, citing the difference in age between Higdon and K.S. and Higdon's position as an intern at the day-care facility as factors sufficient to establish an implied threat. In Powe v. State, the Supreme Court of Alabama held that an implied threat may be inferred in cases “concerning the sexual assault of children by adults with whom the children are in a relationship of trust.” 597 So.2d 721, 728 (Ala.1991). In Ex parte J.A.P., however, the Supreme Court clarified that the holding in Powe “would apply only to cases involving the sexual assault of children by adults who exercised positions of domination and control over the children.” 853 So.2d 280, 284 (Ala.2002) (emphasis in original). See also D .W., 3 So.3d at 957. Although Higdon was in an apparent relationship of trust with K.S., he was 17 years old and not yet an adult at the time of the offense. Thus, an implied threat may not be inferred as a result of his position as an intern at the day-care facility. Additionally, this Court has held that an age discrepancy between the perpetrator and the victim does not constitute an implied threat. C.B.D. v. State, 81 So.3d 399, 402 (Ala.Crim.App.2011) (holding that age discrepancy and size discrepancy “do not establish any type of threatening communication”). Thus, the State's argument that it presented sufficient evidence of forcible compulsion by implied threat is without merit.

Because the State failed to present any evidence of physical force or threat of harm, it failed to establish an essential element of first-degree sodomy under § 13A–6–63(a)(1), Ala.Code 1975. Accordingly, Higdon's conviction based on the charge of first-degree sodomy by forcible compulsion must be reversed, and a judgment rendered in his favor on that charge. Higdon does not challenge his conviction for first-degree sodomy of a child less than 12 years old, see § 13A–6–63(a)(3), Ala.Code 1975; therefore, the circuit court's judgment as to that conviction is affirmed.

You can read the entire appeal in previous post link.

Not a serious injury?

Offline RoosGirl

I am sure that it is you.

Moore was the only one out of 8 judges not wanting to uphold the second  conviction.  We are talking about a 17 year old sodomizing toddlers in a day care center bathroom.

This section is from the court appeal:

Section 13A–6–63(a)(a), Ala.Code 1975, provides that “[a] person commits the crime of sodomy in the first degree if ․ [h]e engages in deviate sexual intercourse with another person by forcible compulsion.” Section 13A–6–60(8), Ala.Code 1975, defines forcible compulsion as a “[p]hysical force that overcomes earnest resistance or a threat, express or implied, that places another person in fear of immediate death or serious physical injury to himself or another person.”

In viewing the evidence in the light most favorable to the State, this Court must conclude that the State failed to “present any evidence that [Higdon] used physical force that overcame [K.S.'s] earnest resistance.” D.W. v. State, 3 So.3d 955, 957 (Ala.Crim.App.2008). Additionally, the State failed to present any evidence that Higdon made an express threat that “placed [K.S.] in fear of immediate death or serious physical injury to himself or another person.” § 13A–6–60(8), Ala.Code 1975. The State asserts, however, that it presented sufficient evidence of an implied threat, citing the difference in age between Higdon and K.S. and Higdon's position as an intern at the day-care facility as factors sufficient to establish an implied threat. In Powe v. State, the Supreme Court of Alabama held that an implied threat may be inferred in cases “concerning the sexual assault of children by adults with whom the children are in a relationship of trust.” 597 So.2d 721, 728 (Ala.1991). In Ex parte J.A.P., however, the Supreme Court clarified that the holding in Powe “would apply only to cases involving the sexual assault of children by adults who exercised positions of domination and control over the children.” 853 So.2d 280, 284 (Ala.2002) (emphasis in original). See also D .W., 3 So.3d at 957. Although Higdon was in an apparent relationship of trust with K.S., he was 17 years old and not yet an adult at the time of the offense. Thus, an implied threat may not be inferred as a result of his position as an intern at the day-care facility. Additionally, this Court has held that an age discrepancy between the perpetrator and the victim does not constitute an implied threat. C.B.D. v. State, 81 So.3d 399, 402 (Ala.Crim.App.2011) (holding that age discrepancy and size discrepancy “do not establish any type of threatening communication”). Thus, the State's argument that it presented sufficient evidence of forcible compulsion by implied threat is without merit.

Because the State failed to present any evidence of physical force or threat of harm, it failed to establish an essential element of first-degree sodomy under § 13A–6–63(a)(1), Ala.Code 1975. Accordingly, Higdon's conviction based on the charge of first-degree sodomy by forcible compulsion must be reversed, and a judgment rendered in his favor on that charge. Higdon does not challenge his conviction for first-degree sodomy of a child less than 12 years old, see § 13A–6–63(a)(3), Ala.Code 1975; therefore, the circuit court's judgment as to that conviction is affirmed.

You can read the entire appeal in previous post link.

Not a serious injury?

I am aware the boy was 17 years old, the same age as the girl that some people here are having coniptions about Roy Moore dating.  So, was she a juvenile or an adult?  Whatever she was, this boy is the same.

Offline Chosen Daughter

I am aware the boy was 17 years old, the same age as the girl that some people here are having coniptions about Roy Moore dating.  So, was she a juvenile or an adult?  Whatever she was, this boy is the same.

I guess you didn't understand.  This isn't about Roy Moore dating a girl.  This is about Roy Moore overturning a conviction of a pedophile who performed sodomy on toddlers between 3 and 5.

But if you feel like connecting the age of the pedophile to the girls Roy Moore dated the law said age of consent right?  Well then Roy Moore should have had no question about the case.  These were toddlers.

Offline RoosGirl

I guess you didn't understand.  This isn't about Roy Moore dating a girl.  This is about Roy Moore overturning a conviction of a pedophile who performed sodomy on toddlers between 3 and 5.

But if you feel like connecting the age of the pedophile to the girls Roy Moore dated the law said age of consent right?  Well then Roy Moore should have had no question about the case.  These were toddlers.

I guess you didn't understand.  The 17 year old boy was still convicted of first degree sodomy of a child under 12.  So to say that Roy Moore overturned a conviction of a pedophile is incorrect. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

I guess you didn't understand.  The 17 year old boy was still convicted of first degree sodomy of a child under 12.  So to say that Roy Moore overturned a conviction of a pedophile is incorrect.

It was the second conviction.

Offline Frank Cannon

Don't waste your breath. You are arguing with someone with a limited ability to handle facts. They mostly trade in feelings and emotions which is why their posts are laughably ignorant.

The age of the offender is extremely relevant to the case. 17 is not an adult in that case. Law is clear there no matter how feelings and emotions direct ones thinking.

Offline Frank Cannon

It was the second conviction.

Is the age of 17 considered a juvenile in that state? Yes or no.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Is the age of 17 considered a juvenile in that state? Yes or no.

If it is they Roy Moore was dating juveniles.

A felony case in Alabama can be tried as adult.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/juvenile_justice_reform_kids_c.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:54:58 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Frank Cannon

If it is they Roy Moore was dating juveniles.

He was, but that act is legal in that state. It is also a lesser crime for a juvenile to do stuff to an infant that would get him the death penalty in another state.

You do realize that states have different standards for crimes based on age? Moore actually was following the one for his state.   

Offline RoosGirl

The decision was based on a precedent case that ruled that, when a sexual assault involves two juveniles, forcible compulsion cannot be established by an “implied threat,” stating that a physical threat must occur.

Okay, so we've established that per the law this 17 year old boy was a juvenile.  We also establish above that "forcible compulsion" requires an actual physical threat, not an implied thread, and that actual physical (as in "If you don't do this, or if you tell anyone, I'm going to rip your throat out") threat was not proved in court.  But hey, let's accuse the Judge of setting a pedophile free even though nothing of the sort happened.

Offline Chosen Daughter

The decision was based on a precedent case that ruled that, when a sexual assault involves two juveniles, forcible compulsion cannot be established by an “implied threat,” stating that a physical threat must occur.

Okay, so we've established that per the law this 17 year old boy was a juvenile.  We also establish above that "forcible compulsion" requires an actual physical threat, not an implied thread, and that actual physical (as in "If you don't do this, or if you tell anyone, I'm going to rip your throat out") threat was not proved in court.  But hey, let's accuse the Judge of setting a pedophile free even though nothing of the sort happened.

8 other judges disagreed.  It isn't a physical threat to rape a toddler?

This is the last of it.  I am not going to argue whether he made the right decision.  He didn't.  You can't convince me otherwise.  Not even by law.  It was a precedence case that they were basing this.  I think it is a physical threat when the body of a toddler is being violated.  Sick.  8 other judges disagreed with Moore.  To me that makes Moore lenient on pedophilia.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:00:52 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline RoosGirl

8 other judges disagreed.  It isn't a physical threat to rape a toddler?

Of course it is, but that's not what "forcible compulsion" means if I am understanding the article.  It means that he forced them to have sex with him by threatening physical harm for not doing so

Offline Frank Cannon

Of course it is, but that's not what "forcible compulsion" means if I am understanding the article.  It means that he forced them to have sex with him by threatening physical harm for not doing so.

Bingo. It doesn't matter how the decision came out in the vote. Moore was following established law. Not making up new precedent like the other judges did.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Of course it is, but that's not what "forcible compulsion" means if I am understanding the article.  It means that he forced them to have sex with him by threatening physical harm for not doing so.

And again 8 other judges disagreed with him.  They are knowledgeable of Alabama law.  They heard every detail of the case and determined physical threat.  Sick to even have to determine what constitutes a physical threat to a toddler 3-5 don't you think? 

Neither you or I are privy to the details of the case.  8 judges determined physical threat and one didn't.  It was Moore.

If you are interested in knowing how the judges came to their decision it is here.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/roy-moore-cast-the-sole-vote-in-favor-of-a-man-who-raped-a-four-year-old/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:28:33 am by Chosen Daughter »