Author Topic: Dem Senator: ‘Should a 5-4 Decision With Gorsuch in the Majority Even Carry Weight in Our Society?’  (Read 1500 times)

rangerrebew

Dem Senator: ‘Should a 5-4 Decision With Gorsuch in the Majority Even Carry Weight in Our Society?’
Posted By Conor Beck On November 1, 2017 @ 8:15 pm In Politics | No Comments

Sen. Jeff Merkley (D., Ore.) gave a lengthy Senate floor speech on the Supreme Court case Janus v. AFSCME, in which he questioned whether a 5-4 decision with Gorsuch in the majority would be valid.

The Janus v. AFSCME case concerns whether all workers in public sector unions should be forced to pay union dues, and Merkley assumed Gorsuch would rule against forcing workers to pay dues. Merkley began his speech by talking about the Constitution and said ruling against the public sector unions, in this case, would amount to "exploitation."

URL to article: http://freebeacon.com/politics/dem-senator-5-4-decision-gorsuch-majority-even-carry-weight-society/

rangerrebew

This is another clear example of how democrats deal with too much heat in the kitchen.  When things get too hot, they stir the air by creating a controversy, hoping it will take the attention of Americans from the problem.  Bile Clinton launched cruise missiles when it got too hot.  Imam Obama used the race card.  Nazi Pelosi, Maxine Waters, et. al., use outrageous statements and accusations.  Sometimes, they use denying the obvious to create the stir, ala Schultzy and Perez.  And, of course, the MSM helps them by using inflammatory language and accusations.  Unfortunately, the de-education of America, creating more and more LIFs, has the effect of creating a false "truth" in their pograms against conservatives.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Because 5-4 decisions in the Supreme Court only have validity if the liberal justices hold sway.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
For a DEM Senator to even ask this question is disturbing.  IMHO it indicates that the mentality now of the liberals is to ignore a supreme court decision because they don't like the nomination and placement of Gorsuch. Claiming that the presidency was stolen and thus in essence his vote shouldn't count is troubling.  Ignoring the rule of law is what the DEMS are leaning towards and clearly they will not rest until they have corruptly inserted the people they want including that of the presidency.  I firmly believe President Trump is trying to head this country in a different direction, but the corruption is so enormous I don't see harmony for this country on the horizon.  The liberal left took to the streets after Hillary lost, Bammy has a shadow government in place, the current DOJ is corrupt, RINO's continue to support anti-conservative opposition in every way possible and this president I believe will soon be facing impeachment IF we don't hold our majority in the House.  Obviously the left know that will result in having Pence as president.  My question still remains, why, oh why did Trump pick him? Should they succeed in impeaching Trump and he is forced to step down, we will see the next revolution.

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. This is a hysterical argument from a Rat. Can we apply this retroactively to Obamacare?

Offline skeeter

The democrat party will eventually go full rogue, and then it'll be ON.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

An item for Nov. 4th ......
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I'd venture to say since the idiot Senator does not understand the Constitution that he should be removed from that body and replaced with someone who does.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Hoodat

Sen. Jeff Merkley (D., Ore.) gave a lengthy Senate floor speech on the Supreme Court case Janus v. AFSCME, in which he questioned whether a 5-4 decision with Gorsuch in the majority would be valid.

The Janus v. AFSCME case concerns whether all workers in public sector unions should be forced to pay union dues, and Merkley assumed Gorsuch would rule against forcing workers to pay dues. Merkley began his speech by talking about the Constitution and said ruling against the public sector unions, in this case, would amount to "exploitation."

So forcing someone to do something against their will is what the authors of the Constitution envisioned.  Yet allowing them a free choice instead amounts to "exploitation"?  Really?

Mick Jagger said it best:

Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints.  As heads is tails, just call me 'lucifer', 'cause I'm in need of some restraint.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

For a DEM Senator to even ask this question is disturbing.  IMHO it indicates that the mentality now of the liberals is to ignore a supreme court decision because they don't like the nomination and placement of Gorsuch.

Not a day goes by where I don't wish that Scalia was still in that seat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
For a DEM Senator to even ask this question is disturbing.  IMHO it indicates that the mentality now of the liberals is to ignore a supreme court decision because they don't like the nomination and placement of Gorsuch. Claiming that the presidency was stolen and thus in essence his vote shouldn't count is troubling.  Ignoring the rule of law is what the DEMS are leaning towards and clearly they will not rest until they have corruptly inserted the people they want including that of the presidency.  I firmly believe President Trump is trying to head this country in a different direction, but the corruption is so enormous I don't see harmony for this country on the horizon.  The liberal left took to the streets after Hillary lost, Bammy has a shadow government in place, the current DOJ is corrupt, RINO's continue to support anti-conservative opposition in every way possible and this president I believe will soon be facing impeachment IF we don't hold our majority in the House.  Obviously the left know that will result in having Pence as president.  My question still remains, why, oh why did Trump pick him? Should they succeed in impeaching Trump and he is forced to step down, we will see the next revolution.

They cannot impeach Trump.  That's the last thing I worry about.

What I do worry about is democrats ever getting power again. 

The mindset of this Democrat senator is not so far from the democrat norm.

Just another pang of joy that Trump beat Hillary.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
They cannot impeach Trump.  That's the last thing I worry about.

What I do worry about is democrats ever getting power again. 

The mindset of this Democrat senator is not so far from the democrat norm.

Just another pang of joy that Trump beat Hillary.

Dems getting in power again?  With all due respect, they are still in power thanks to McConnell and cronies.  They've been in power since that last 2 years of "W"s presidency and went full throttle under Bammy.  You are correct though ... we lose the majority in either House in '18 and we can kiss this country good-bye.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
The democrat party will eventually go full rogue, and then it'll be ON.

I believe you are absolutely correct and as time goes on, it looks pretty inevitable.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Dems getting in power again?  With all due respect, they are still in power thanks to McConnell and cronies.  They've been in power since that last 2 years of "W"s presidency and went full throttle under Bammy.  You are correct though ... we lose the majority in either House in '18 and we can kiss this country good-bye.

I wouldn't say they are in power.  I would say they are in a desperate quest for power and using every means possible to acquire it.

Not to pile on the Media, but if they weren't complicit in the quest, we wouldn't hear much at all from the democrats.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Oceander

Offline endicom

'Society' is a term of convenience without any specific meaning. That's why people love applying it to their pet causes.

Online Hoodat

'Society' is a term of convenience without any specific meaning. That's why people love applying it to their pet causes.

It also comes from the side of the aisle who believes that "society" should be denied the right to establish its own laws with respect to marriage, abortion, etc., but instead being forced to live under rules created out of thin air by a 5-4 majority of black-robed tyrants.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

They follow one thing - their ideology. All else is heresy. They are in full Spanish Inquisition mode, and we are all witches.

This is the mentality we're dealing with. They are 100% focused on violent revolution now, except with a bit of a Talibanic twist to it via their worship of Gaia.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

So forcing someone to do something against their will is what the authors of the Constitution envisioned.  Yet allowing them a free choice instead amounts to "exploitation"?  Really?

Mick Jagger said it best:

Just as every cop is a criminal, and all the sinners saints.  As heads is tails, just call me 'lucifer', 'cause I'm in need of some restraint.

Our government is rather diabolical. I'm watching Trump announce Powell, Yellen in a tie, as his fed nomination.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Fantom

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Dem Senator: ‘Should a 5-4 Decision With Gorsuch in the Majority Even Carry Weight in Our Society?’

Y'know, here's where the guy -almost- makes some sense.

That is...
I'd like to see the Constitution amended to require a 6-3 vote in the Supreme Court in order to make ANY decision by that body binding on the entire nation.

Heck, why not make it 7-2 ??

You're going to respond by saying, "if that was the case, they'd never be able to decide anything!"

(big smile from me...)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Ask this poltroon if that means We, as Conservatives, can reverse all the previous 5-4 decisions WE don't like.

Roe v Wade was 7-2 but there's got to be a whole slew of other 5-4 Scotus calls that chap all of our hides.

What do these people use to think with?

Ask numbskull if he wants to reverse this one too, based on his lack of reasoning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_v._Arizona

"Miranda v. Arizona, 384 U.S. 436 (1966), was a landmark decision of the United States Supreme Court. In a 5–4 majority, the Court held that both inculpatory and exculpatory statements made in response to interrogation by a defendant in police custody will be admissible at trial only if the prosecution can show that the defendant was informed of the right to consult with an attorney before and during questioning and of the right against self-incrimination before police questioning, and that the defendant not only understood these rights, but voluntarily waived them."
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:42:21 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online cato potatoe

How long are these bitches going to lie about the "stolen" Supreme Court seat?  There are lots of vacancies at any given point, thanks to congressional foot dragging.  Are those stolen too?  Should we arrest the senate and charge them all with larceny?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

But, this isn't new.  They're just brazen about it now.