Author Topic: President Trump says you'll be hearing 'Merry Christmas' a lot more this year  (Read 12952 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Declaring victory on the “war on Christmas” at Friday’s Values Voter Summit in Washington, D.C., President Trump said he’ll be saying “Merry Christmas” during his first holiday season as president.

“We’re getting near that beautiful Christmas season that people don’t talk about anymore. They don’t use the word ‘Christmas’ because it’s not politically correct,” he said, explaining that politically correct culture has made it difficult to celebrate the holiday. “You go to department stores, and they’ll say ‘Happy New Year,’ or they’ll say other things, and it’ll be red -- they’ll have it painted -- but they don’t say -- Well, guess what? We’re saying ‘Merry Christmas’ again.”

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/national/president-trump-says-you-hearing-merry-christmas-lot-more-this-year/1CHFBbzE4b1PRvg3A0iSoJ/

Offline RoosGirl

Could we at least get through Halloween first?

Offline Suppressed

Already have heard one announcement that an employer (hundreds of employees) who's had "Christmas" parties for decades will not even allow Christmas decorations this year.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

There's a small local restaurant chain that has the cutest Christmas tv commercial which has run every year from decades.  At the end, a voiceover would say, "Merry Christmas from Eat n Park."  Then all of a sudden one year that voiceover was changed to "Happy Holidays from..."    WTH???

It would be great if that chain could go back to "Merry Christmas."  I'm sick and tired of people and businesses being intimidated into avoiding words and phrases just because some snowflake might be offended.  Of course, the real reason for all this is to wipe out traditions, particularly religious traditions, and create a wholly secular government mandated society.  One more step towards a dictatorship.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Already have heard one announcement that an employer (hundreds of employees) who's had "Christmas" parties for decades will not even allow Christmas decorations this year.

Susan Wright, who I now dub Susan Wrong says there is no war on Christmas and that Trump is catering to his base and she is sick of it.

She should not be a voice on a conservative forum

The word 'Christmas' has been shunned by all kinds of stores and venues and ads on TV.

OMG.

By the way, condolences to the Mod who had to wade through all the utter crap (except for my posts and those of a few others) on that thread that went like 100 pages about Trump and the media.

Totally amazed he put up with it that long.

He deserves a medal.  Are there medals here?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Applewood

@Emjay

I don't have any medals, but for your post regarding the suppression of the media thread, I'll give you this:

:thumbsup:

And kudos to MOD1.  I hope that thread stays dead.

Offline endicom

Of course, the real reason for all this is to wipe out traditions, particularly religious traditions, and create a wholly secular government mandated society.

I think that's why he's fighting them. The issue is much bigger than being able to say Merry Christmas.

Online corbe

Susan Wright, who I now dub Susan Wrong says there is no war on Christmas and that Trump is catering to his base and she is sick of it.

She should not be a voice on a conservative forum

The word 'Christmas' has been shunned by all kinds of stores and venues and ads on TV.

OMG.

By the way, condolences to the Mod who had to wade through all the utter crap (except for my posts and those of a few others) on that thread that went like 100 pages about Trump and the media.

@Emjay Even for someone like me Susan Wright is an acquired taste, her Trump hate dislike runs deep.

I wasn't in that Thread for very long, if at all, but giving kudos to the Mod for cleaning that up is something I always appreciate, they do a hell of a job here.  Thank You
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

I think that's why he's fighting them. The issue is much bigger than being able to say Merry Christmas.

Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure how Trump is going to restore Merry Christmas from a legal/constitutional standpoint.  Will he make it a point to say or write Merry Christmas or words to that effect, as an example to the rest of us. 

FWIW.  I already say Christmas, or Hanukkah to my Jewish friends.  I refuse to say Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings or any other PC twaddle.  If anyone doesn't like it, too bad.

Offline endicom

Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure how Trump is going to restore Merry Christmas from a legal/constitutional standpoint.

It's not being legally barred. Pressure groups are making it unacceptable. The POTUS is saying it is too acceptable.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Maybe I missed something, but I'm not sure how Trump is going to restore Merry Christmas from a legal/constitutional standpoint.  Will he make it a point to say or write Merry Christmas or words to that effect, as an example to the rest of us. 

FWIW.  I already say Christmas, or Hanukkah to my Jewish friends.  I refuse to say Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings or any other PC twaddle.  If anyone doesn't like it, too bad.

:whistle:

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline aligncare

:whistle:

That’s a petty shot you took. I don’t know how old you are, but I remember I started feeling the pressure to say happy holidays during the 90’s. True, I’m in the liberal Mecca and most of my patients were Jewish so I succumbed to media pressure. But, businesses did too because of their bottom line and fear of being targeted in boycotts by religious bigots.

Offline Fantom

Ahh, my birthday.

In before..."That explains a lot" 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:07:34 am by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline RoosGirl

Ahh, my birthday.

What a fun birthday to have!  Mine was the 5th.

Silver Pines

@RoosGirl

Sam's Club has had their Christmas crap out for weeks.  With weather in the eighties.  It makes me want to forget about the whole thing.

Offline RoosGirl

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

I have consistently heard "Merry Christmas". During the Obama years, that commonly had a modifier in between "Merry" and "Christmas" that prints out here as bleep.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

@RoosGirl

Sam's Club has had their Christmas crap out for weeks.  With weather in the eighties.  It makes me want to forget about the whole thing.

I hear ya, but you can go ahead and get me a gift anyway.  :laugh:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

The whole issue arose primarily out of the Political Correctness assault on American culture. If something so vital as the birth of Our Saviour could be muzzled with Liberal whining, anything, and I mean anything would be possible to render unspeakable.

It is an appropriate start to a long battle against the snowflake minions of PC and the censorship of an entire culture they represent. That isn't insensitivity, because i gladly wish a Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish Friends, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fantom

What a fun birthday to have!  Mine was the 5th.

Yep, fun as hell.  The 4th, or close would be equally a blast....yes I meant that!.  :beer:

The absolute worst one would be Christmas.. a twofer on presents.  8888crybaby
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online Polly Ticks

Ahh, my birthday.

Yay!  My birthday buddy!!
 888high58888
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Polly Ticks

Does this mean he's signing an EO to make hearing aids a covered expense??

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online corbe

I love your wit
@Polly Ticks

:silly:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DiogenesLamp

I thought it was ironic that a discussion of censorship was ended by censorship.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —