Author Topic: Trump threatens to target licenses of 'NBC and the Networks' after nuclear arsenal report  (Read 80703 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
That is true but not NEARLY enough to make any real difference.  The NY Times still calls the tune on what is or isn't news.  Even for cable.  There are a very few who do actual reporting but for every one that sees their reporting there are thousands that don't.

Of course there is a real difference..with all the lies and bad press the MSM flung at Trump, he prevailed..people chose not to believe them and looked elsewhere for their news....YES...times are changing!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

In my little under 50k population hometown some enterprising and well healed local folks attempted to start a newspaper to compete with the corporate owned rag which claims to be " your hometown newspaper" .  The corporate rag sold advertising at below cost for as long as it took (two years) to run them out of business.  Same thing happened to most of our local mom and pop stores when Wal-Mart showed up.

I fail to believe you would be *for* the government (read fed, especially) stepping in to rectify matters.

We've got Home Depot and Lowes, but everyone that matters still goes to Try-City or Western Building Center, unless it's Sunday, or you want hockey sticks for some reason.

Silver Pines

@mystery-ak
Ahh I see.   Little ole me is gonna fight the whole MSM with my blog posts.

@driftdiver

Why not?  You've said before that posting negative things about Trump damages him, so apparently we on this forum have more power than we ever imagined. 

Offline roamer_1

Of course there is a real difference..with all the lies and bad press the MSM flung at Trump, he prevailed..people chose not to believe them and looked elsewhere for their news....YES...times are changing!

That is a brilliant point.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I fail to believe you would be *for* the government (read fed, especially) stepping in to rectify matters.

We've got Home Depot and Lowes, but everyone that matters still goes to Try-City or Western Building Center, unless it's Sunday, or you want hockey sticks for some reason.

Actually I'm for far less government regulation of damn near everything!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DiogenesLamp

I've been down this thread for a while, and nobody answered my question, and it's a pretty obvious one for anybody who knows the first thing about broadcasting: 

What licenses? 

Broadcast networks don't have licenses.  Cable news networks don't have licenses.  Broadcast nets like NBC and CBS only have a handful of stations they actually own, so other than those O&O stations, what licenses are being referred to??  All this folderol is over a half-hour news broadcast on 12-15 TV stations.

In the manner that forcing Christians to comply with Gaystapo demands is not really about "cake", so too is the discussion about the Monopoly media-weapon not really about "licenses."

"Licenses"  are simply a convenient metaphor for the concept of striking back at the monopoly media-weapon election manipulators.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Silver Pines

If you haven't noticed, 'They' are all hurting for viewership/readership. Especially newspapers and news mags... Folding up like cheap lawn chairs everywhere.

@roamer_1

Exactly.  Millennials don't watch TV at all anymore, and magazines and papers are unknown to them.  They get their news online, and there are many, many solid conservative sources.

The other day I read an article about the media empire Ben Shapiro is building.

Offline roamer_1

Actually I'm for far less government regulation of damn near everything!

Exactly. So how then is the FED (the FED, mind you) going to fix this presumed monopoly and apparent liberal press which deemed otherwise unstoppable? Remember in your answer that whatever new toys we make, the dems will get to play with next time they get in the sandbox.

Offline DiogenesLamp

That's right - And I might add, that we today, CAN. The press was just as liberal back in the day, where there was nothing but the big 3 and the AP.

The net has changed that in leaps and bounds.

Has it given us parity?  Can our spokesmen reach out and influence 30 million Americans nightly? 

I see George Stephanopolous virtually every day lying to or misleading me as to what is going on in the world.  To what channel do I tune to see Ben Shapiro giving the morning news?   

The internet influences only a tiny slice of the public compared to television,  and even now our liberal enemies are trying to gain total control over the internet. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

@mystery-ak that's what they want...a dictator of their own that they can be proud of.  Someone who doesn't care about the Constitution or rule of law...just someone who will extract payback and collect some revenge for them against the Left.

Never mind that the person they would be cheering while this is happening would be taking pages directly from the Liberal playbook they supposedly despise.

As long as he can get them the pound of flesh they demand...

Virtue signaling,  strawmanning,  and suggesting we continue losing in the manner we have been losing.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Exactly. So how then is the FED (the FED, mind you) going to fix this presumed monopoly and apparent liberal press which deemed otherwise unstoppable? Remember in your answer that whatever new toys we make, the dems will get to play with next time they get in the sandbox.

Open up the market and allow anyone to play who wants to.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DiogenesLamp

People won't get behind tyranny or someone they perceive to be acting as a dictator.

But if you sneak it up on them,  as it is being done now,  they are not only okay with it,  they will call other people "Dictators"  for wanting to strip the real dictators of their existing Dictator powers.   

If you don't think the media is "Dictating"  I've got four words for you.

"Hands Up! Don't Shoot!" 
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

@mystery-ak
Ahh I see.   Little ole me is gonna fight the whole MSM with my blog posts.

yeah lol

Oh wait I can take a billion dollars from my savings account and start up a competitor company to them,

A billion dollars?  You greatly underestimate the assets the media-weapon currently has at it's disposal.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

The story is already being disputed...pulling licenses is not needed.

We have just as much access to the press as the MSM does, times have changed.

I see George Stephanopolous almost every morning.  To what channel should I turn to see the news being delivered by Walter Williams?   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline aligncare

Big media shouldn’t be regulated, but it should be subject to the same libel and slander statutes as any individual.  News editors need to feel the heat when they put out false reports. Lives and reputations are at stake.

Secondly, Big Media should suffer the same fate as Ma Bell, when she got too big. That would open up the field to more independent journalist and investigative reporting, like what Project Veritas has been doing. Throw some conservative competition in to the mix. The antidote to censorship is more speech.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Big media shouldn’t be regulated, but it should be subject to the same libel and slander statutes as any individual.  News editors need to feel the heat when they put out false reports. Lives and reputations are at stake.

Secondly, Big Media should suffer the same fate as Ma Bell, when she got too big. That would open up the field to more independent journalist and investigative reporting, like what Project Veritas has been doing. Throw some conservative competition in to the mix. The antidote to censorship is more speech.

Damned right!  Let them say anything they want  and be held fully accountable for it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I would be (though not the fed in the case in question). 

Intentionally taking a loss with the express intent of driving competition out of business is known as dumping (though many reserve that specific term for international trade), and there are rules against it for good reason.  Ensuring that businesses and individuals play fair is one of the very few things I think governments should actually be doing.

One could make the case that government should simply provide a fair court system and things like this should be civil, not criminal.  However, if you can afford to drive someone out of business by dumping you can probably drive them out of the court by just lawyering up hard.  I think this is an instance where we do need a government to deal with it.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

Exactly.  Millennials don't watch TV at all anymore, and magazines and papers are unknown to them.  They get their news online, and there are many, many solid conservative sources.

The other day I read an article about the media empire Ben Shapiro is building.

@CatherineofAragon
Yep. My kids don't have cable or paper news/mags. Never have had em. I have of late, followed them in that, and I am greatly relieved by throwing out the cable company. And I am not alone by any means. 'Cord-cutting' has become a term, and then a meme. Their empire is crumbling to dust.

I am partial to Ben Shapiro, and fond of his mag, The Daily Wire. And his podcast and Youtube offerings. Of the talking heads, he's the only one I still trust unequivocally. You should look up one of his college presentations on Youtube (the recent Berkeley speech was a gas).

I would really like to get One America News Network as a live stream - I hear it is based in the Midwest, and I would hope to get a perspective different from NYC and LA.  I am considering getting a ROKU just for that reason. I hear very good things about them... Maybe the new FOX.

So yes, there are many solid Conservative sources. And I dare say, if that is what one is after, there is no problem finding it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@CatherineofAragon
Yep. My kids don't have cable or paper news/mags. Never have had em. I have of late, followed them in that, and I am greatly relieved by throwing out the cable company. And I am not alone by any means. 'Cord-cutting' has become a term, and then a meme. Their empire is crumbling to dust.

I am partial to Ben Shapiro, and fond of his mag, The Daily Wire. And his podcast and Youtube offerings. Of the talking heads, he's the only one I still trust unequivocally. You should look up one of his college presentations on Youtube (the recent Berkeley speech was a gas).

I would really like to get One America News Network as a live stream - I hear it is based in the Midwest, and I would hope to get a perspective different from NYC and LA.  I am considering getting a ROKU just for that reason. I hear very good things about them... Maybe the new FOX.

So yes, there are many solid Conservative sources. And I dare say, if that is what one is after, there is no problem finding it.

It is very easy to see a trend in your local and assume that it's happening more broadly.  That is a BIG mistake. 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

AC.....couldn't agree more. 888high58888
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DiogenesLamp

I realize that no number of successes will satisfy your blood lust for a -<[tyrannical move]>- like this form Trump.

This is called "framing the debate."   It is asserting the premise that anyone who believes in breaking the grip of the Corporate Media-weapon is advocating tyranny.   

It is a strawman tactic. 

You said what can you do...tried to make yourself out to be a helpless victim...I merely pointed out a very famous and very publicized win for the people.

Scooter Libby.  Nixon Resigns. Vietnam Collapses.  Goldwater loses.  Russia rigged the election.  Dog on Car roof.  "Binders full of Women".   

What was that thing that Candy Crowly did again that was a lie during the Romney/Obama debate? 

"Hands up! Don't shoot!"   "White Hispanic."   "It's the Economy stupid."  "Ronny RAY-gun."  "Star Wars!" 

Republicans want to kill women and children!   "Fast and Furious!"   A Video tape blamed for Benghazi.   "Cash for Clunkers".    Weaponized IRS.   

"Maccaca".   Strom Thurmond birthday party.   Donna Brazile giving Hillary the debate questions. 

"Grocery store Scanner" (Bush HW)   White Water.  Monica Lewinski. 

You talk about one win,   and you ignore the hundreds if not thousands of losses that would not have occurred without the Liberal monopoly of the media-weapon.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

I hate to tell you, but that has loooong been the case - All of my lifetime.

Some people were slaves for all of their lifetimes,  but that didn't make it right or acceptable.  That something has persisted is not a good argument that it should continue. 

Now, there is net. and now, more and more, people are going elsewhere for their news.

Too many aren't.   Too many still get their news from the media-weapon.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline roamer_1

Has it given us parity? 

Parity? That sounds like 'FAIRNESS'... I know you too well to cosider you anything but Conservative, @DiogenesLamp ... but 'fairness' is a liberal position. I don;t expect fairness in anything.

Can our spokesmen reach out and influence 30 million Americans nightly? 

Spokesmen? Like Limbaugh's 20m? Nothing the news channels have come close to AM radio planting 10s of millons of listeners for 3hr shows. But I don't care about 'spokesmen'. I care about the message. And while you can say it's subjective (and I won't point to data), Chik-Fil-A happens and swamps anything the libs can do all by itself. For all the liberal threats and boycotting, JCPennys and Target are who crash and burn... All those folks got the message. That means that somehow, that message is getting out there.

I see George Stephanopolous virtually every day lying to or misleading me as to what is going on in the world.  To what channel do I tune to see Ben Shapiro giving the morning news?   

Who goes to the TV anymore for news?

The internet influences only a tiny slice of the public compared to television,  and even now our liberal enemies are trying to gain total control over the internet.

meh.

Offline DiogenesLamp

You needn't. it is the remedy that is in question.

I've proposed striking a blow against the existing enemy.  It is a stretch to portray opposition to the existing status quo as a "remedy."   

Some may not remember,  but in the past I have solicited suggestions as to what can be done about the problem,   but most people spent all their time trying to convince me that nothing needs to be done about the problem,  and that they don't even see a problem. 

I have suggested various things,  and none of them constituted letting the government control the media.  I am absolutely against that.  The worst thing we could do is to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.   

I'm still interested in hearing any ideas what to do about the problem other than trying to tear down the monopoly that exists now. 

And yours is to let the Fed guard our speech?

Absolutely not.  But they can make "common carriers"  carry all traffic.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline RoosGirl

Some people were slaves for all of their lifetimes,  but that didn't make it right or acceptable.  That something has persisted is not a good argument that it should continue. 

Too many aren't.   Too many still get their news from the media-weapon.

*****rollingeyes*****  I know @roamer_1 can handily answer for himself, but cripes, that is not even close to what he said or meant or implied.