Author Topic: Trump threatens to target licenses of 'NBC and the Networks' after nuclear arsenal report  (Read 80703 times)

Offline RoosGirl

If we leave things as they are,  they will resume what was briefly interrupted by the current man we have who fights.

Trump is claiming that NBC is lying about him saying that the US needs to expand its nuclear arsenal.  Trump actually said in a Reuters interview back in January that the US needs to expand its nuclear arsenal.  I provided a link to the interview earlier in the thread.  Now Trump is suggesting that the administration will target "licenses" (I guess for the sake of the discussion we'll just go along with the whole "license" thing) of networks, supposedly for spreading false news, except it's not false news.  So what is really happening here is that for whatever reason now Trump doesn't want people to know he said the same thing in a private meeting that he said in an interview several months prior.  Do you think it's a good precedent to set that an administration can threaten to target any news media when they report something it doesn't like?   So let's just say this administration goes through and cleans house at all the 'fake news' networks.  What happens during the next administration when they don't like what the current network is reporting?

Offline DiogenesLamp

It certainly appeared that since Fox came around that it was the monopoly breaker - considering its tendency to be more objective than the other three legacy tv networks. 

Fox was killing those guys in viewership and going strong - then, plump.  They began acting like the others more and more, hiring actors like Kelly instead of true reporters.  Drumming up enough negatives to sit O'Reilly down.

Rupert Murdoch turned operations over to his two sons who are very Liberal.   They started wrecking the place. 

Now, they are little better than the alternatives, and their credibility has tanked as a result, allowing the others to catch back up.

Too bad, I thought we had the market forces breaking that monopoly.

I did too,  but it just goes to show how quickly our fortunes can turn.   The folk that can afford to operate in this zone of wealthy are usually liberal,  and they will often put social acceptance among their "peers"  as being more important to them than objectivity.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Silver Pines

I think there is no concept of unintended consequences anymore.  There's no forward thought to what happens the next time liberals (the ones who call themselves liberals instead of trying to hide it) gain the majority.

@RoosGirl

I don't think they care.  They're on a high, having too much fun watching 'splodey heads 'splode, as a scholar once said.   

Silver Pines

If we leave things as they are,  they will resume what was briefly interrupted by the current man we have who fights.

@DiogenesLamp

Not fight..." flails."

Trump flails.

Offline DiogenesLamp

And for the record...as of 2015 NBC owns and operates  11 stations and has affiliate agreements with 222 other stations across the country.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBC_television_affiliates_(by_U.S._state)

And some people just want to talk about "cake".   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Luckily we have you to translate for us.

:laugh:  Only here to help, dear.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DiogenesLamp

@DCPatriot

Exactly. Trump is just getting them all spun up to report on 'fake news'. He knows exactly how to play the MSM.

Now, as you point out, he has fake news channels doing story after story on fake news. It's kind of hilarious in a way.

Earlier I saw people enjoying some fake irony. (because they were using their assumptions and applying them to us.) 

It's a shame they aren't noticing the real irony.  :) 
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Frank Cannon

Wow. 10 pages of absolute shit generated in one day. Doesn't anyone here have an effing job? This bullshit that Donny threw out has absolutely no bearing on anything even remotely important to anyone's lives. It's Class A minutia.

This actually seems mildly important to me over this NBC bullshit, but then again I am not on Medicaid, Medicare or use a Voodoo Doctor for my healthcare so I guess that is why it makes no noise on this forum.....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-11/trump-sign-executive-order-obamacare-tomorrow-morning

Offline DiogenesLamp

@DiogenesLamp

You have a lot to learn, so I'll keep it in mind.

I'll take knowledge wherever I can find it, so I look forward to the time when you eventually convey some worthwhile information.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

Trump is claiming that NBC is lying about him saying that the US needs to expand its nuclear arsenal.

I don't care about the specifics.  What is significant to me is that Trump has launched people into thinking about a situation that I have been trying to get people to grasp for nearly a decade. 

Don't focus on a tree,  look at the forest.     

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline musiclady

@DiogenesLamp

Not fight..." flails."

Trump flails.

Thank you for that accurate clarification.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DiogenesLamp

@RoosGirl

I don't think they care.  They're on a high, having too much fun watching 'splodey heads 'splode, as a scholar once said.

You think we are playing checkers.  We are playing chess.  *You* are playing checkers.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

@DiogenesLamp

Not fight..." flails."

Trump flails.

For some reason that D@mned fool just keeps on winning! 
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline RoosGirl

Wow. 10 pages of absolute shit generated in one day. Doesn't anyone here have an effing job? This bullshit that Donny threw out has absolutely no bearing on anything even remotely important to anyone's lives. It's Class A minutia.

This actually seems mildly important to me over this NBC bullshit, but then again I am not on Medicaid, Medicare or use a Voodoo Doctor for my healthcare so I guess that is why it makes no noise on this forum.....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-11/trump-sign-executive-order-obamacare-tomorrow-morning

Dammit Frank, we're on a roll.  Don't interrupt this very important topic.  Unless you would like to explain what Voodoo Doctors are available in my area, and then I'm all ears.

Offline Victoria33

If I remember right, Trump made some noise a while back about altering libel laws to go after alleged "fake news" outlets.  And his supporters just yawned. 
@Applewood[/member
@CatherineofAragon

Yes, he wanted to change the laws so he could sue them.  He would like to shut down all news except Fox and then he would find something wrong with them, and shut them down, then he would be the only source of news and his news is fake every day.  Luckily, he can't do jack with news organizations.
He is a freaking basket case and is going to start a war with North Korea with his mouth.  That is important, not his fight with football players and Republican Senators.  He will start another chaos shortly.  "Chaos Trump."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:22:59 am by Victoria33 »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

NATS forced a Game 5......   Strasburg, 12K in seven innings.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Frank Cannon

Dammit Frank, we're on a roll.  Don't interrupt this very important topic.  Unless you would like to explain what Voodoo Doctors are available in my area, and then I'm all ears.

Might I suggest Dr Bombay. He still makes house calls.....

Offline RoosGirl

I don't care about the specifics.  What is significant to me is that Trump has launched people into thinking about a situation that I have been trying to get people to grasp for nearly a decade. 

Don't focus on a tree,  look at the forest.   

I care about specifics that make the premise of the entire argument that has been going back and forth a lie.  I care about lies.

But, if you want me to look at the forest, the we will agree to disagree that the government has any business threatening a private business for reporting things the government doesn't like them reporting.

Offline RoosGirl

Oh man that glassware lights me up!

Offline DiogenesLamp

This is a good opportunity for me to mention that I am married to Elizabeth Montgomery's second cousin who looks very much like her.   Yes,  her mother's name was "Montgomery",  and yes her famous cousin Elizabeth used to show up at their family gatherings.   

I almost never talk about my personal life,  but I am some what pleased with myself about this.   I used to have the hots for Elizabeth when I was young,  and I ended up with the next best thing. 

:) 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Frank Cannon

I care about specifics that make the premise of the entire argument that has been going back and forth a lie.  I care about lies.

You care about lies but you are indignant about this crap? Look around. The whole thing is a lie. The Fed has propped up our economy on a lie based on fake economic numbers based on free money. The govt' is a lie from top to bottom. You don't have to look any further than all the noise we got from the GOP about Obamacare. When the rubber met the road we found out that it was all lies and they love central govt' controls. Look further out. The world economy is basically the same house of cards that the US economy is. You don't have to look any further than Brexit, Catalonia and all the other places that are removing themselves from the shitshows they are tied to. Even the silly Kurds are splintering off on their own which is going to be a powder keg exploding shortly.

What doesn't interest me anymore are the lies. They are too numerous. What interests me is the truth and if it still exists.

Offline DiogenesLamp

Apparently except when it comes to ending them. 

But, if you want me to look at the forest, the we will agree to disagree that the government has any business threatening a private business for reporting things the government doesn't like them reporting.

We don't disagree about this no matter how much you and your friends keep wrongly insisting that we do,   but the threat isn't because they report things the "government doesn't like",  it's because they are LYING and CENSORING,  which do not serve the public interest in a manner for which their broadcast licenses were granted. 

You are aware the public owns the airwaves,  are you not?  Should not our custodians of this trust insure that it serves the public's interest? 

Among other things in my life,  I have studied FCC broadcasting regulations,  and one of the prohibitions was "false or deceptive transmissions."   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

You care about lies but you are indignant about this crap? Look around. The whole thing is a lie. The Fed has propped up our economy on a lie based on fake economic numbers based on free money. The govt' is a lie from top to bottom. You don't have to look any further than all the noise we got from the GOP about Obamacare. When the rubber met the road we found out that it was all lies and they love central govt' controls. Look further out. The world economy is basically the same house of cards that the US economy is. You don't have to look any further than Brexit, Catalonia and all the other places that are removing themselves from the shitshows they are tied to. Even the silly Kurds are splintering off on their own which is going to be a powder keg exploding shortly.

What doesn't interest me anymore are the lies. They are too numerous. What interests me is the truth and if it still exists.

You cycle back and forth between silly and profound.   I like it.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Frank Cannon

This is a good opportunity for me to mention that I am married to Elizabeth Montgomery's second cousin who looks very much like her.   Yes,  her mother's name was "Montgomery",  and yes her famous cousin Elizabeth used to show up at their family gatherings.   

I almost never talk about my personal life,  but I am some what pleased with myself about this.   I used to have the hots for Elizabeth when I was young,  and I ended up with the next best thing. 

:)

Wow! That's friggin AWESOME!

Glad to finally confirm that someone else is also banging a hot chick.

Offline Frank Cannon

You cycle back and forth between silly and profound.   I like it.

Dr Bombay has me off on my meds. You gotta get that right balance between the scotch, Quaaludes and penicillin.