Author Topic: General Motors Is Going All Electric  (Read 3270 times)

Offline RoosGirl

General Motors Is Going All Electric
« on: October 03, 2017, 12:15:23 am »
After more than a century peddling vehicles that pollute the atmosphere, General Motors is ending its relationship with gasoline and diesel. This morning, the American automotive giant announced that it is working toward an all-electric, zero-emissions future. That starts with two new, fully electric models next year—then at least 18 more by 2023.

That product onslaught puts the company at the forefront of an increasingly large crowd of automakers proclaiming the age of electricity and promising to move away from gasoline- and diesel-powered vehicles. In recent months, Volvo, Aston Martin, and Jaguar Land Rover have announced similar moves. GM’s declaration, though, is particularly noteworthy because it’s among the very largest automakers on the planet. It sold 10 million cars last year, ranging from pickups to SUVs to urban runabouts.

https://www.wired.com/story/general-motors-electric-cars-plan-gm/

Online DB

Re: General Motors Is Going All Electric
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 12:23:26 am »
And where is all this "non polluting" electrical energy going to come from???

Most of the electrical grid in this country is already near the limit... And most of that is the "polluting" kind...

Environuts chase one shiny object after another without ever thinking through the consequences... Leaving a wake of disaster behind lowering everyone's standard of living...

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 12:50:20 am »
Title:
"General Motors Is Going All Electric"

Prediction:
General Motors will be going into bankruptcy, once again...

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 01:52:38 am »
Title:
"General Motors Is Going All Electric"

Prediction:
General Motors will be going into bankruptcy, once again...

Double prediction: GM gets bailed out again for being so "civically responsible."
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 02:32:56 am »
Well, the next steel bed pickup will have to be a Dodge...But the one I have is. I think I'll keep it instead.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 02:38:18 am »
Eventually the average person will not be able to own a car... that is where this is headed.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 02:38:47 am »
Can you imagine showing up on any job site in an electric pickup truck?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 02:55:13 am »
Eventually the average person will not be able to own a car... that is where this is headed.

And that is exactly what the Green Marxists want.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 02:56:22 am »
Can you imagine showing up on any job site in an electric pickup truck?

The anti-war types should jump on this band wagon...can't fight an effective war with a fleet of battery powered tanks...hard to stretch the supply lines when all of your battery powered supply trucks have to stop after 50 miles for a recharge.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 03:35:51 am »
Announcements are just that. No one is bought the Volt. Despite the hype, the Bolt inventories are increasing, not decreasing. No one is buying any of GM's shitty small cars. The only thing keeping them mildly afloat, besides cooking the books with channel stuffing, is trucks and SUVs. It should be also noted that Tesla is not doing well and they are the gold standard for these stupid vehicles.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 03:35:59 am »
I think much of the opposition to electrics  on the right is naturally based on those in the petro-chemical industry fearing a loss of jobs. The industry is what supports the economy of much of America, particularly fly over country.

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on an affordable electric vehicle, the performance curve is as they say awesome.

As is often pointed out, there is not enough generating capacity presently to support a conversion to electrics but it seems to me a conversion to electrics doesn't mean the demise of the oil industry and its vital jobs the industry will just need to retool. Energy is energy

Online DB

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 03:54:46 am »
I think much of the opposition to electrics  on the right is naturally based on those in the petro-chemical industry fearing a loss of jobs. The industry is what supports the economy of much of America, particularly fly over country.

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on an affordable electric vehicle, the performance curve is as they say awesome.

As is often pointed out, there is not enough generating capacity presently to support a conversion to electrics but it seems to me a conversion to electrics doesn't mean the demise of the oil industry and its vital jobs the industry will just need to retool. Energy is energy

Actually my opposition to it is having to pay for it through government subsidies. Eventually electric cars will make economic sense but they don't today. Tesla gets something like $7500 of federal tax money for every car sold and that's not including subsides from the states. If they did make economic sense they wouldn't have to be subsidized. These "electric" car companies are really chasing federal tax dollars and don't want to miss out on the gravy train while it lasts.

That's why I hate the electric car industry. They're crony capitalist thieves.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 04:03:41 am »

It has nothing to do with jobs. It has everything to do with the fact that current electric cars are 100% and total shit. Let's take the most popular EV one sale, the Tesla. It is expensive to buy. The only way they make sales is with massive welfare handouts from the Feds. When govt' handouts end, the sales end. See Tesla sales in China and Australia where the incentives ended. The sales went to ZERO. Now let's look at safety. Insurance companies had to raise the hell out of premiums because Teslas DO NOT survive crashes. They explode like a pinata because they are built so lightweight to compensate for the heavy batteries. Want to put your kids in a piece of lightweight fly by wire scrap? I sure as hell am not. Finally what magical fuel are we going to use to power these shitbox cars? Oh yeah. Coal fired electric plants. And what type of range am I going to get when I need to get somewhere beyond the state I live in? A one day trip will take a week with rechargings. What about the $30K routine battery swaps every couple years? Who can afford that shit?

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/07/09/teslas-hong-kong-sales-gutted-by-tax-change.html

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170604/FINANCE_AND_INSURANCE/170609884/tesla-owners-should-pay-more-for-insurance-aaa-says

Online DB

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 04:09:00 am »
@Frank Cannon to add to your point, here's what happened in Denmark when they dropped the subsidies:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-11/its-confirmed-without-government-subsidies-tesla-sales-implode

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 04:22:43 am »
Actually my opposition to it is having to pay for it through government subsidies. Eventually electric cars will make economic sense but they don't today. Tesla gets something like $7500 of federal tax money for every car sold and that's not including subsides from the states. If they did make economic sense they wouldn't have to be subsidized. These "electric" car companies are really chasing federal tax dollars and don't want to miss out on the gravy train while it lasts.

That's why I hate the electric car industry. They're crony capitalist thieves.

Well so is the oil industry. The depletion allowance, the royalty system on federal lands etc...

As I say the opposition in my view is economic... based on the fear of loss of jobs which makes perfect sense.... :shrug:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 04:34:44 am »
Well so is the oil industry. The depletion allowance, the royalty system on federal lands etc...

As I say the opposition in my view is economic... based on the fear of loss of jobs which makes perfect sense.... :shrug:

Well since you seem to know more than the rest, explain why EV sales tank when not propped up by massive Govt' welfare payments? Explain to me how an EV motor run on expensive coal powered batteries with a short lifespan is superior to a combustion engine.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 04:56:56 am »
Well since you seem to know more than the rest, explain why EV sales tank when not propped up by massive Govt' welfare payments? Explain to me how an EV motor run on expensive coal powered batteries with a short lifespan is superior to a combustion engine.

An EV motor has an efficiency of 90%+ an internal combustion engine 35%...I'm sure you are capable of doing the math.

Electrics are the future, they may not be there yet but that day will come. The oil industry will adjust and retool, there will still be old farts with our ancient F-250's paying ten bucks a gallon but I'll also have one of those EV's capable of running the socks off it...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 05:16:55 am »
An EV motor has an efficiency of 90%+ an internal combustion engine 35%...I'm sure you are capable of doing the math.

Electrics are the future, they may not be there yet but that day will come. The oil industry will adjust and retool, there will still be old farts with our ancient F-250's paying ten bucks a gallon but I'll also have one of those EV's capable of running the socks off it...

Electrics day came and went......100 years ago. Electricity is increasingly more expensive and is produced from non-renewable sources. You might be able to make a case for hydrogen, but electrics are only fashionable now because the govt' is propping it up and the car manufacturers are on the edge of financial collapse because no one is buying their shit cars anymore. The only option they have is to make current cars illegal and force a total do over.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 05:30:24 am »
Electrics day came and went......100 years ago. Electricity is increasingly more expensive and is produced from non-renewable sources. You might be able to make a case for hydrogen, but electrics are only fashionable now because the govt' is propping it up and the car manufacturers are on the edge of financial collapse because no one is buying their shit cars anymore. The only option they have is to make current cars illegal and force a total do over.

Whatever...your peddling a line that is being propped up by hundreds of millions of bucks by those who stand to lose I get it :whistle:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 05:33:43 am »
No one is buying any of GM's shitty small cars. The only thing keeping them mildly afloat, besides cooking the books with channel stuffing, is trucks and SUVs.
I think you grossly underestimate how many of those little stinking Chevy Cruzes there are floating around.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DB

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 05:33:56 am »

Lets add the inverter, battery, charging, distribution and generation efficiency... Then that 90% number drops dramatically...

I have no idea how you equate the oil companies paying a royalty for recovering oil from federal lands verses the federal government handing $7500 check for each electric car manufactured by private companies. The truth is the federal government makes more money through taxes and royalties on oil than the oil companies do.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 05:47:47 am »
Lets add the inverter, battery, charging, distribution and generation efficiency... Then that 90% number drops dramatically...

I have no idea how you equate the oil companies paying a royalty for recovering oil from federal lands verses the federal government handing $7500 check for each electric car manufactured by private companies. T

The last figures I saw were that the tax payers received about 13 billion on revenues of 70 billion. 7500 bucks on each electric is chump change..

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 05:56:18 am »
The last figures I saw were that the tax payers received about 13 billion on revenues of 70 billion. 7500 bucks on each electric is chump change..

Well then, that explains why Americans have no use for these electric shitbags. Not enough welfare.

You can try to rationalize to yourself why your green dream is eventually going to come true, but the facts are that nobody wants them. Tangible sales bare that out.

Online DB

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 05:58:37 am »

What?

Taxpayers received what from whom?

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 06:06:43 am »
What?

Taxpayers received what from whom?

The leases generated about 13 billion in royalty revenue the producers netted about 70 billion...

The Feds get less for a lease than a private land owner due to the efforts of the oil company's K Street lobbyists ....hmmm crony capitalist thieves :shrug:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:17:07 am by montanajoe »