Author Topic: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay  (Read 99527 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Las Vegas: Active shooter reported near Mandalay Bay
« Reply #1075 on: October 07, 2017, 03:43:25 pm »
"Should be able to"?  Yes, if you want to and can afford to do so.

So, the number does not matter, it be 33 or 3300.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1076 on: October 07, 2017, 03:49:01 pm »
So, the number does not matter, it be 33 or 3300.

Why would it matter?  Keeping in mind that the 2nd Amendment was written in part to prevent tyranny by government.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1077 on: October 07, 2017, 03:50:43 pm »
Why would it matter?  Keeping in mind that the 2nd Amendment was written in part to prevent tyranny by government.

The 2nd amendment talks of the right to bear arms; I don't see it addressing issues like hoarding guns.

Texas and California apparently require sellers to report some sales; to combat gun-running to Mexico.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:55:37 pm by TomSea »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1078 on: October 07, 2017, 04:37:00 pm »
Do gun-rights advocates think one should be able to buy 33 weapons of this caliber in one year?
Absolutely!

You can only use one at a time. Even if you line them up, you can still only use one at a time. A couple of bottles of water and a stack of full magazines will get you by if you really want to pull a dead end stunt like that. It's quicker to reload than put one down and get another one lined up.

If you are going to commit heinous crimes, you will find a way. Keep in mind, 80 million gun owners didn't shoot anyone in Las Vegas--or elsewhere while this guy was committing his crime.

Apparently, the last rifle he bought (a bolt-action .308) wasn't even in the room, even though he bought it hours before the incident.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1079 on: October 07, 2017, 04:42:07 pm »
Do gun-rights advocates think one should be able to buy 33 weapons of this caliber in one year?

Why not?  Last I checked, the Second Amendment to the Constitution didn't say "Shall not be infringed, as long as you only buy 32 weapons of the same caliber."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1080 on: October 07, 2017, 04:42:59 pm »
Absolutely!

You can only use one at a time. Even if you line them up, you can still only use one at a time. A couple of bottles of water and a stack of full magazines will get you by if you really want to pull a dead end stunt like that. It's quicker to reload than put one down and get another one lined up.

If you are going to commit heinous crimes, you will find a way. Keep in mind, 80 million gun owners didn't shoot anyone in Las Vegas--or elsewhere while this guy was committing his crime.

Apparently, the last rifle he bought (a bolt-action .308) wasn't even in the room, even though he bought it hours before the incident.

Seeing how some border states have laws to combat gun running, I'll go with this instead of having the ability to buy 1000 at a time.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1081 on: October 07, 2017, 04:43:37 pm »
Why not?  Last I checked, the Second Amendment to the Constitution didn't say "Shall not be infringed, as long as you only buy 32 weapons of the same caliber."

The last I looked at it, it said the right to bear arms, not hoard arms, not gun run.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1082 on: October 07, 2017, 04:45:28 pm »
The last I looked at it, it said the right to bear arms, not hoard arms, not gun run.

One person's "hoard" is another person's "collection".  And, you're conflating gun running with gun purchasing.  Not sure why you would do that.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1083 on: October 07, 2017, 04:48:39 pm »
One person's "hoard" is another person's "collection".  And, you're conflating gun running with gun purchasing.  Not sure why you would do that.

Because that's exactly why Texas has laws requiring gun sellers to report any suspicious sales. I guess, there is no reason to conflate the two, it's just the same kind of sale, the sale of guns.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1084 on: October 07, 2017, 04:49:09 pm »

So Paddock was a gun collector. Okay.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1085 on: October 07, 2017, 04:54:48 pm »
Because that's exactly why Texas has laws requiring gun sellers to report any suspicious sales. I guess, there is no reason to conflate the two, it's just the same kind of sale, the sale of guns.

Sorry, Tom, but that doesn't make sense.  The Constitution says you can't own multiple guns as evidenced by a Texas law requiring the reporting of suspicious transactions?  Huh?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1086 on: October 07, 2017, 04:55:11 pm »
Thirty three guns is flat nothing. There's a guy I know who's gun safe is his entire basement. I know at least ten off the top of my head that have gun rooms.

Offline thackney

« Reply #1087 on: October 07, 2017, 04:56:47 pm »

So you want a National Gun Registry?  Is that how you would keep track of every purchase?  Every private sale must go through a Federal Registry?  Is that how you would accomplish such a limit?

And no criminals would ever buy guns outside such a registry?  Or steal them and sell them??
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1088 on: October 07, 2017, 04:59:59 pm »
The 2nd amendment talks of the right to bear arms; I don't see it addressing issues like hoarding guns.

Texas and California apparently require sellers to report some sales; to combat gun-running to Mexico.
Hoarding? How about collecting? Or is that a "hoard"? If I got a chance to pick up SKS rifles for 99 bucks each again I'd jump on it (even the Chinese ones), if I could buy Russian AKs or East German ones for $250 each, I'd run up the credit card. Somewhere down the line they'd be trading stock, or I could sell them on consignment and double my money or better, and leave lots of meat on the bone for the shopowner.

I read news stories all the time where some guy had "an arsenal". I won't say how many firearms I own, but it isn't uncommon for a home out here to have: at least one .22 rifle. At least one bolt action rifle in 6.5mm or larger caliber. A .22 handgun. At least one larger caliber handgun, be it .380, 9mm, .38 caliber, .357 magnum, .40 cal, .45 cal, or .44 magnum (or larger). At least one shotgun. If you have 'his and hers' firearms, which is not uncommon, you already have 10 firearms.

Frankly, those are the basics in this neck of the woods, and far from what so many urban news outlets consider to be an "arsenal", even though they define a half dozen firearms and a few hundred rounds of ammo as such as if someone was going to go out one weekend and overthrow the government with them.

Out here, it isn't uncommon for a gun owner of any means to have two, three, or four dozen firearms, and serious collectors might have a couple hundred or more. Those guns aren't running around committing mayhem.

As the law stands, if you buy two handguns from the same dealer and take delivery of them on the same day, you are required to be flagged by the dealer and reported to the BATFE. Lovely. So the pair of pistols I bought with sequential serial numbers were picked up on different sides of a weekend, just to save my dealer paperwork. Silly rule.

The bottom line is that people who are law abiding aren't the problem, but they are the only ones these laws make life difficult for. Remember, too, it was the BATFE who told the dealer who sold some of the Fast and Furious firearms to let the transaction go through, even though the (known) straw buyer was buying rifles and pistols that would be untraceable and out of reach in no time, a dozen at a time. Those arms ended up in Mexico or in Cartel hands, and the Government knew d@mned well they were going there. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #1089 on: October 07, 2017, 05:01:21 pm »

What's the arbitrary number between collecting and hoarding?  If I own 33 Colt Peacemakers or Sharps rifles, is that a collection?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1090 on: October 07, 2017, 05:01:27 pm »
So you want a National Gun Registry?  Is that how you would keep track of every purchase?  Every private sale must go through a Federal Registry?  Is that how you would accomplish such a limit?

And no criminals would ever buy guns outside such a registry?  Or steal them and sell them??

Thanks for not reading my responses, I will answer you in your logic.

So, you want to arm terrorists? So you want to arm drug cartels?

The question of a registry has already been answered, it's no. So, I will help your reading comprehension there.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1091 on: October 07, 2017, 05:02:20 pm »
Thirty three guns is flat nothing. There's a guy I know who's gun safe is his entire basement. I know at least ten off the top of my head that have gun rooms.

3 high powered weapons a month for a year. Sorry, no sale on this argument.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1092 on: October 07, 2017, 05:03:26 pm »
What's the arbitrary number between collecting and hoarding?  If I own 33 Colt Peacemakers or Sharps rifles, is that a collection?

It's in law in some border states including Texas. One can research their laws.

Gun shops all along the border in some areas; so yes, they do try to keep an eye on it.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1093 on: October 07, 2017, 05:07:06 pm »
Hoarding? How about collecting? Or is that a "hoard"? If I got a chance to pick up SKS rifles for 99 bucks each again I'd jump on it (even the Chinese ones), if I could buy Russian AKs or East German ones for $250 each, I'd run up the credit card. Somewhere down the line they'd be trading stock, or I could sell them on consignment and double my money or better, and leave lots of meat on the bone for the shopowner.

I read news stories all the time where some guy had "an arsenal". I won't say how many firearms I own, but it isn't uncommon for a home out here to have: at least one .22 rifle. At least one bolt action rifle in 6.5mm or larger caliber. A .22 handgun. At least one larger caliber handgun, be it .380, 9mm, .38 caliber, .357 magnum, .40 cal, .45 cal, or .44 magnum (or larger). At least one shotgun. If you have 'his and hers' firearms, which is not uncommon, you already have 10 firearms.

Frankly, those are the basics in this neck of the woods, and far from what so many urban news outlets consider to be an "arsenal", even though they define a half dozen firearms and a few hundred rounds of ammo as such as if someone was going to go out one weekend and overthrow the government with them.

Out here, it isn't uncommon for a gun owner of any means to have two, three, or four dozen firearms, and serious collectors might have a couple hundred or more. Those guns aren't running around committing mayhem.

As the law stands, if you buy two handguns from the same dealer and take delivery of them on the same day, you are required to be flagged by the dealer and reported to the BATFE. Lovely. So the pair of pistols I bought with sequential serial numbers were picked up on different sides of a weekend, just to save my dealer paperwork. Silly rule.

The bottom line is that people who are law abiding aren't the problem, but they are the only ones these laws make life difficult for. Remember, too, it was the BATFE who told the dealer who sold some of the Fast and Furious firearms to let the transaction go through, even though the (known) straw buyer was buying rifles and pistols that would be untraceable and out of reach in no time, a dozen at a time. Those arms ended up in Mexico or in Cartel hands, and the Government knew d@mned well they were going there.

They watch all those gun shops on the border, that's why they have some laws on suspicious transactions. Not sure what this is about and we are hardly talking about $250 Soviet era surplus but high powered weaponry, preferred weapons; probably like what this fellow Paddock was often buying.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #1094 on: October 07, 2017, 05:08:06 pm »
3 high powered weapons a month for a year. Sorry, no sale on this argument.

@TomSea

Why?  If someone wants to do something bad all it takes Sino e.  Heck they could just go out and get a knife or a car or anything.   What difference does it make.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1095 on: October 07, 2017, 05:10:18 pm »

You'll have to show me that last part, Tom.  It must be next to the clause about "Muskets."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1096 on: October 07, 2017, 05:10:19 pm »
@TomSea

Why?  If someone wants to do something bad all it takes Sino e.  Heck they could just go out and get a knife or a car or anything.   What difference does it make.

Paddock did not go those routes but if one wants to make an equivalent between trying to knife as many people in a crowd of 22,000 vs. a sniper's nest, fine.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1097 on: October 07, 2017, 05:11:11 pm »

QFT. But you forgot the brush gun/ saddle gun. I would reckon nearly everyone hereabouts has a Winchester 94 30/30 or the like, along with others.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1098 on: October 07, 2017, 05:11:38 pm »
You'll have to show me that last part, Tom.  It must be next to the clause about "Muskets."

And right next to shoulder-fired missiles. Those are arms too. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1099 on: October 07, 2017, 05:13:33 pm »

I thought they were saying he had as many as 30 firearms in his hotel room, fine, that was his hobby.  Don't call that an arsenal.    :silly: